Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Won't the thread title become outdated by next week? :smug:

I updated to FF4, really hated it (I don't like it when the interface changes for no positive reason), and moved to Opera. Been using it for about 6 weeks. Good browser, but it's just not as good in terms of extensions.

But the move made me realize something. I don't like Firefox, and I don't miss it. There's nothing special about the vanilla browser other than the fact that it's open-source. It's the 3rd-party extensions that make it special.

So I'm planning on going back to FF3.x until the dust settles. If by FF8 (which supposedly really improves performance) the extension API is stable and all my favorite extensions are on board and and they fixed all those BS compatibility issues and it's all merry and future-proof, I'll update and I'll try to adapt to their poo poo interface. If not, hopefully a lot of those extension people will have written Opera versions by then, and I can move back to Opera. And if not that, then I'll just keep using 3.x until the Internet ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Whelp, I'm back on Firefox. I gave it up in favor of Opera after that fast release cycle bullshit was dropped on developers. I always knew I would come back, once the bulk of the add-on community have adapted to the changes, and they seem to have done so now. Mozilla handled that whole situation like complete idiots though, and I hope they learned something from it, though that's unlikely.

I went with Aurora (currently version 9 alpha 2), and just finished the usual post-install "get the add-ons that make the Internet not suck". I've been using most of these for a long time but it always amazes me how entrenched advertisers are in the modern web browsing experience. It takes every single one of these addons to have a fast, safe, and private browsing experience today:

Adblock Plus (general ads)
BetterPrivacy (Flash plugin's cookies)
Ghostery (hundreds of invisible trackers)
NoScript (safety)
ShareMeNot (social media trackers such as +1 and Like)

Of course, this is in addition to tweaking some non-plugin options, like having FF delete cookies on exit, and disabling geolocation. Scary stuff.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

MachinTrucChose posted:

Whelp, I'm back on Firefox. I gave it up in favor of Opera after that fast release cycle bullshit was dropped on developers. I always knew I would come back, once the bulk of the add-on community have adapted to the changes, and they seem to have done so now.[...]

I guess I spoke in haste. The add-on situation is STILL not resolved. Aurora just notified me of a new update, which wants to disable 75% of my add-ons. So add-ons I installed on last week's Aurora don't work on this week's? Really? And you think I'm going to update? Mozilla, you are complete idiots. I use Firefox for the add-ons, I thought I'd help Mozilla out by going along with their new release cycles, but my time is too important to deal with this poo poo. Hopefully it's resolved next year or something. I'll try updating then. Just fix the goddamn problem already.

(Yes, I know I can disable add-on compatibility checking. But that just means if there's a genuine compatibility issue I'd have to spend my own time hunting it down).

tl;dr: I wanted to be at the bleeding edge alongside Mozilla and report feedback and poo poo, but their incompetence is forcing me to not update anytime soon.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2011

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Wankie posted:

You are on the Aurora/Alpha channel, the whole point of that channel is so you can tell mozilla which addons are broken so they don't auto update the version number and bork beta/release channel users and to tell addon makers which bugs need to be fixed. Its obvious you hate being on the bleeding edge just move to beta channel and you'll much happier.

Moving to the beta channel then, thanks for the advice.

Doesn't change the fact that Mozilla isn't doing what it can/should to help developers have a sane way of making plugins work in any version. Adding stuff like HTML5 support and WebGL shouldn't be breaking an add-on that lets me customize the context menu.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Is it normal that Firefox's flash plugin is consuming CPU resources even when the video is paused? This is what I get when I pause a youtube video:

http://i.imgur.com/rr0DF.png

Comparatively IE uses zero CPU when paused. The entire video has already been downloaded at this point. The funny thing is that it doesn't seem to be doing anything. According to Process Explorer plugin-container.exe is reading 1KB and writing 2KB every second. When I tried to use Process Monitor to find out which file(s) it was accessing, it turned up nothing (which mystified me).

It's more of a big deal than it sounds. I'm using an older laptop and FF is dropping frames on 720p videos due to hitting 100% CPU. IE plays them fine but requires 85% CPU. I'm thinking that if FF's Flash plugin is wasting 36% CPU on something else than video rendering, and I find out what it is an fix it, those CPU savings would allow me to watch 720p videos without dropping frames.

It's FF 9.0 on Windows 7 32-bit, Flash is 11.0.1.152.

E: Linked the image instead to avoid breaking tables

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

MutantBlue posted:

I don't know if it will help but there is a newer Flash version 11.1.102.55 available.

Actually, it did! Same video now using zero CPU when paused, and it plays fine. Thanks.

Weird that I didn't already have it, Flash is configured to check for updates automatically, but I had to get it manually from Adobe's site.