Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to use more Firefox to stick it to chrome, but is there any way to get it to prioritize URls I've typed in before? Sometimes it seems to subbornly refuse to suggest URLs I've just been to.

Let's say I type in "amazon.com", hit enter. Then create a new tab, type "amaz" and it still won't auto-fill it. I think Opera and/or Vivaldi would remember that because it's pretty clearly something I want to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to immediately stop all script execution on a page? Not disable scripts, just halt execution? Without going to the dev tools I mean. That (or hitting Escape) was one of the options I've found but it's not great/doesn't work

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You'd think they would finally do something useful like implement touchscreen gestures that has been an open issue for 5 years instead of constantly loving with the UI (though I haven't noticed any changes recently)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1443710

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does Firefox actually resume (as opposed to restart) downloads? It seems that whenever I've had an issue and a download stopped, it would always start from the beginning. Not a problem at home at 100mbs but I'm now traveling and the connection maxes out at like 70KB/s it seems. So I'll probably have to run the download overnight and can't afford to restart it from 0.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

does the server you're downloading from support resuming?
Is that still even a problem? I thought we figured this poo poo out in the late 90s.

I don't actually know for sure, I've been trying to download this tool from DJI for the past two hours, it always fails eventually, and restarts from 0: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/dji_assistant/20190327/DJI+Assistant+2+1.2.5.exe

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So recently performance tests of FF vs Chrome made the rounds (probably not for the first time): https://www.phoronix.com/news/Firefox-Chrome-109-Benchmarks

At first I was like whatever, it's fast enough, I don't even need to look. But then I thought... if there's a difference in performance, there's also a difference in efficiency and...

Holy poo poo, I tested it and Edge on my Celeron laptop is only half as fast as Firefox on a 13900k. Almost 80% more energy than Edge to do the test as well.

E: forgot to update the screenshot with axis labels, it's CPU power over time in seconds

That's a pretty extreme test but I also tried just reloading the youtube front page four times and it's about 37% more energy. Doesn't matter on the desktop but I think I'll go try Vivaldi on the battery and performance challenged laptop. That's a bummer.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 23, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

Christ, I knew things were bad, but didn't know things were that bad... At least we got the Maze Solver thingy.

I really had no idea. I remember MS bragging about Edge giving you better battery life but it's not like I was going to use Edge so I didn't pay much attention.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this an insurmountable lead that Chrome has or could Firefox catch up conceivably?
I dunno. It's a huge gap, but I'm not a browser enthusiast guy so I don't know exactly where the issue, what it would take to fix it, and if Mozilla has those kinds of resources. I assume it's a pretty well known thing though and if they could've improved it, we wouldn't be here now...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Samsung's browser has some ad-block options as well if you want to try something on Android

Klyith posted:

So which websites will be faster chrome vs firefox may depend quite a bit on what they're going and the balance of javascript vs normal page layout. Youtube homepage, which is entirely built on javascript? Chrome, definitely. Other websites? I dunno. I just tried going to the nytimes frontpage on both vivaldi and firefox. Load page, then press refresh so both are using cached images, firefox is visibly faster to render the page (and reflow the deleted ad spaces, because I'm using ublock on both).

OTOH for a laptop that cares about battery life, or an underpowered machine that struggles with a heavy web app like youtube, a chromium browser is probably better. Heavy javascript is more of a load than CSS.
Yes Canvas and that Maze thing seem a lot faster on FF. Youtube though is noticeably slow, you can see it actually takes a few seconds to load on the laptop so every bit helps there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, the history panel is driving me nuts. I can set it to group by date or date & site. But the moment I try to search for something, it just dumps an unordered, disorganized list of pages.

Like if I know I opened a page about "raccoons" yesterday and try to search for it, I'll see like a hundred results from the last year and no way to narrow it down.

Is this just how it works or am I missing something? I don't have it on this pc but Opera/Vivaldi had a much more useful history.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nullset posted:

You probably want https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/better-history-ng/. It's inspired by Vivaldi, though it's not as polished. I haven't touched Firefox's history since I found it.

Thanks, that does look much better. I can't believe I put up with the stock one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

I'm getting videos autoplaying in background tabs i have not focused on.

Known bug, unknown bug or a feature?

Tried googling, it was useless.
I've noticed that it started chugging more on video-heavy pages, like the imgur homepage basically brings everything to a crawl. I do have an unreasonable number of tabs open so I'm not 100 sure it's the issue the issue is with FF but it seems that something did change yeah.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

I had a problem where youtube and google maps were unusably slow to load, but not in a private window. So it must be some extension. I disabled most of my extensions and sure enough, they started working usably again. Then I started enabling them one by one and the problem never reappeared.

loving.

Computers.

I had issues with youtube chugging horribly to the point videos would be sometimes unplayabe. Loading is ok but the framerate could be choppy and it would sometimes stop to "buffer" for like 10-15 seconds. Really bizarre and not the first time it happens, I ended up restarting and it fixed it. But I'd try private window next time to see if it's maybe an extension acting out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Youtube still works on my desktop with ublock, but the Samsung browser on my phone with whatever adblock plugin seems to be causing issues sometimes. The player window will stay empty, or it will start playing and freeze at some point. But usually works after reloading the page. I suspect if they succeed with blocking the adblocks, people will start mirroring the more popular content elsewhere :yarr:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Stupid question, but how is the FF browser for android? Does it allow plug ins like ublock?

I've been using duck duck go with mixed satisfaction for general browsing.

It has pretty limited extension support (i.e. not everything from desktop, so no sponsor skip for example) but uBlock does/did work. Not noticeably better than Samsung's blocker though so I keep using that on the phone as chromium tends to be more efficient.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh there we go!

Just closing the window for now works though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
yt now has a timeout before the close option appears on the "adblock isn't allowed" popup:

At least I don't think it did this before.

This doesn't show up every time though, I did the ublock update dance so let's see if that killes it for a while.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

Chromium based browsers seem to get axed next summer, with forced ads due to removal of manifest v2. Alternatives seem to be:
- use an ad-filtering proxy like it was 2003
- stop using web browsers or JavaScript
- use some Firefox based browser

Vivaldi is the ideal browser. UI never changes, and it has a ton of built-in features, so your browser never breaks when it updates. Firefox always kept changing the ui and breaking add-ons, which broke the UI.

Is there some stable fork of Firefox with Vivaldi-like built-in features? I don’t want the UI be dependent on add-ons. Thanks!
I keep hearing this complaint but... is it really happening? I switched to FF when the OG Opera was killed off and haven't noticed any breaking changes in the last years. I'm sure it's not what it was during the Explorer browser war years but it seems like it should be working for normies as well as Chrome at least.

I do have Vivaldi installed but the UI feels laggy somehow despite Chrome supposedly being faster, so I stick to FF even on my N5100 laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

what's the best firefox (for PC) adblocker to play youtube and crap without ads?

i'm sick of google and chrome

The same ones I think, ublock origin and sponsor block