Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Firefox has been crashing all night.

Anyone else suffering more firefox instability? I've just been on forums, youtube and facebook.

I was/had been experiencing this for the last 3 1/2 days. win7 64bit, firefox 6.02

Got tired of loosing my session/s especially when using the wysiwyg editor on my blog... aarrrrgh so frustrating when you've typed a heap out and loose the whole lot and have to restart from scratch.

downgraded back to 3.6.22 and enjoying the old interface that i missed very much. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

What's the easiest way to downgrade to that specific version?

I assume your using the us version so simply download this:>
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.22&os=win&lang=en-US

Then simply go to Control Panel :> Add remove Software :> Select Firefox and run the uninstall

Let it keep your custome settings etc, then once the un-installation has finished simply run the installer that you just downloaded, then once that is done re-launch firefox you will need to push ALT then click View and Toolbars then select menu bar that way it appears back.

If your really worried about your profile & settings being screwed then simpy grab http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ make a backup of your current ff6 profile before uninstalling, then once you have removed it and re-installed 3.6.22 and if it happens to not have your settings etc then simply run mozbackup clicking the restore button selecting the file & location you stored the backup and it will re-apply your settings etc.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I found this page on disabling the new add-on controls. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

uuhh should i be worried? :raise:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So on firefox 8 is stylish and userstsyles working correctly for any one else?

it says it's updated and enabled, i only use the 1 stylish script "mark links as visited" the script doesn't appear to be working.

i've downgraded back to 3.6.24 currently, and it's working perfectly normal, but on version 8 doesn't

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

Stylish works perfectly for me on 8, Scriptish does as well.

Why the heck would you go all the way back to 3.6 instead of 7 or 6?

mainly because i really just don't like the new interface, i love the old 3.6 interface and it still displays webpages without issues. Mozilla is still releasing security patch's so no harm no foul. :)

Will try once again uninstalling & deleting the old profile stuff, then doing a complete clean re-install to ff8 and try again.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

Is that *actually* XP you're running in classic mode? No offense but I'm guessing that's why you're so attached to FF of yesteryear.

Not sure about the other person, but i'm using win7 and i've always been inlove with the old win2000 classic style, so i pretty much don't care much for the "eye candy" win7 offers. Thus i prefer the classic style.

and i've spent time "customizing" the latest offerings from mozilla, but i just don't care for the new interface or the x,y,z new features.

while they still offer security updates etc for 3.6.* then i'll probably just stay using it.

NVB fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 15, 2011

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

The flash updater is a bit poo poo and not always reliable.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

I'd use something like Secunia PSI to tell me when flash and other poo poo is out of date, rather than relying on the built in updaters.

I have been using filehippo's update checker, got it to automagically scan my system's once a fortnight, it then direct's my browser to there website with a page listing a direct download to all the new update's.

very useful & light weight app. http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Axiem posted:

I have Adblock Plus, and want to use it more forcefully to keep from loading scripts and crap that slow down webpages I go to (many of which so far seem to be tracking networks in some incarnation). Is there an addon that will somehow or another tell me what parts of a page that's loading are taking longer?

Right click on the Adblock Plus icon, then select "Show blockable Items" then right click the scripts etc that you want blocked and click "Block this Item"

then on the little popup that appears customize the filter until happy then select save, rinse & repeat

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Moses posted:

I'm looking for an extension that will automatically delete all cookies upon quitting Firefox, except cookies for my bookmarks.

A bonus if it also deletes the youtube/google/flash crud.

Don't want to manually white list all my bookmarks.

IE has something similar (protect favourites) and Safari has an absolutely excellent extension called Safari Cookies - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31018/safari-cookies

I'm really looking for a Safari Cookies replacement for Firefox.

I've tried a large number of cookies extensions, but none seem to offer this functionality.

Any suggestions?

CCleaner Does have an option, regarding cookie removal / keeping. I am off-course assuming your using a variant of Windows?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

Firefox gurus, help! Recently youtube just plain doesn't work in firefox any more. Flash says it is up to date and noScript/ABP aren't stopping them. What the butts is going on? Everything works fine in Chrome but I'm trying to develop web apps for multiple browsers and I'm running into problems that I think are being caused specifically by my messed up firefox because they don't happen on my work computer.

refresh your profile, Note down your extensions/ addons as the reset button will restore everything but your extensions / addons.

Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox

if that doesn't work then un-install flash. Restart and then grab the latest flash version and install.

also are you sure you haven't accidently disabled flash related option via noScript / ABP?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I had the issue, i just disabled most of the fancy dancy direct2d dooda's and scrolling up/down occurs no-more issues.

FYI have latest drivers,most recent version of flashplayer and 2mnth old laptop with recent latest greatest specs.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
i've always just about:support then under Profile Folder selected Show Folder, then closed FF once the profile window pops up, then simply select all then copy into a new folder on the Desktop. Then once copy completed transfer to removable storage.

On new install or different device simply do the about:support select the show folder option then close FF & then copy the contents from that folder you created into the profile window that pops up overwriting everything.

Re-launch FF and everything is how it should be. Started doing this after a few corrupted backups from mozbackup started happening since leaving the 3.6.# versions

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Does anyone else use "complete" themes? This is the best one I've tried, but unfortunately it hasn't updated in a while and isn't compatible with 23 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rein/?src=search

This one looks really slick, but it's only for osx :unsmigghh: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/defaultmod/?src=search

You can change the install.rdf & change the maxversion so it will install. Use something like DownThemAll to download the .xpi file ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/7297/addon-7297-latest.xpi )
then open it with WinRar, open the Install.rdf with Notepad change the maxversion. Save then drag & drop the .xpi into your Open FF window. Installer will appear and allow.

Here's the .xpi i changed the maxversion on already :> http://db.tt/6DbuwbBq

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
about:support then click Show Folder, close firefox then Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C create a new folder on a USB stick then Ctrl-V to paste everything into the usb folder,

put usb in new machine, then open firefox on that machine, do About:support click show folder close firefox, then CTRL-A to select all mash the Delete button then open your usb open the folder you created and then select all CTRL-A then CTRL-C then CTRL-V into the folder firefox opened.

log-out then backin and relaunch firefox and everything should be how it was on the old machine.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

I'm trying to find that utility which automatically strips out unwanted locales from extension xpi files to shrink them and reduce memory footprint. You can do it manually but it's a faff.

Anyone got the link? It's a Korean utility which isn't making finding it easy.

Took 15minutes to re-find the post

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3431449&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post412165292

http://www.techgravy.net/tip-speed-up-firefox-and-decrease-page-loading-time/

website it's posted on

http://forum.moztw.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30196&start=0

And direct download

DelFxExtLocal
http://forum.moztw.org/download/file.php?id=11938

Required 7zip
http://forum.moztw.org/download/file.php?id=11337

NVB fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 29, 2014

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Greasemonkey.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix SA breadcrumbs
// @namespace   Baduiq
// @description you know
// @version     int32Ver_Rev14
// @include [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==
var breadcrumbs = document.getElementsByClassName('breadcrumbs');
var breadcrumbTop = breadcrumbs[0];
var breadcrumbBottom = breadcrumbs[1];
breadcrumbTop.className = 'dearRichards';
breadcrumbBottom.className = 'yosposIntellectualProperty';
function nodeDeleteChildren(node) {
  node.innerHTML = '';
}
function nodeCollectLinkPair(node) {
  var childNodes = node.getElementsByTagName('a');
  var hrefPairs = [
  ];
  for (var i = 0; i < childNodes.length; ++i) {
    var url = childNodes[i].href;
    var hrefName = childNodes[i].innerHTML
    hrefPairs.push([hrefName,
    url]);
  }
  return hrefPairs;
}
function breadedCrumbs(node) {
  var linkPairs = nodeCollectLinkPair(node);
  nodeDeleteChildren(node)
  for (var i = 0; i < linkPairs.length; i++) {
    var name = linkPairs[i][0];
    var url = linkPairs[i][1];
    var aElement = document.createElement('a');
    aElement.href = url;
    var txtElement = document.createTextNode(name);
    aElement.appendChild(txtElement);
    aElement.style.color = '#036';
    aElement.style.fontWeight = 'bold';
    node.appendChild(aElement);
    node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(' > '));
  }
  node.removeChild(node.lastChild);
}
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbTop.childNodes[0]);
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbBottom.childNodes[0]);

Been looking for something like this for ages, was in the same boat had a similiar extension in Chrome, but couldn't find anything that reverted the actual breadcrumbs for firefox.. :neckbeard:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are they're any extensions / addons etc that can auto-magically translate the page to english ?

Something like what Chrome does when visiting a webpage that is in a different language it auto-magically refreshes the page and makes it english translation.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fourwood posted:

Not quite what you're aiming for, but I have gtranslate that adds an item to the right-click context menu. Said context menu item will also auto-translate highlighted text if you haven't translated the whole page.

Cheers mate, not exactly what i am looking for but thnx for the suggestion though. :)

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

I tried chrome for a few days. It was not a seamless transition but i endured.

Then I tried to download a youtube video using my video download addon and it flat out refused because apparently google would take them from the app store thing if they permitted youtube downloading.

So I went back to firefox. The reason I need to download videos is that stuff constantly goes missing on youtube. If you have a 10 part comedy show saved to your favourites then come back to see it three years later. Parts 2-3-5-7 could very well be gone.

I was recently struck by a pang of guilt over my ad blocker. Surfing the internet and devouring all free content without doing anything in return. So I disabled it to see what the internet looks like these days.

Has anyone here used youtube without an ad blocker lately? They have ads that are 15 minutes long. I kid you not. Not a big deal if you're watching a video but when you have a playlist set and are listening to a story on youtube or music and it cuts into a 15 minute ad it's a disaster.

Some youtube ads even make you click an option before it even moves on at all.

just uses tampermonkey and use youtube center dev build for all your YT needs :> https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

only need to click the userscipt for both chrome and firefox

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Password Safe for awhile, it's made by Bruce Schneier so far it's been a good little offline pssword manager, took me awhile to get used to after using lastpass for so long.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loved using Vivaldi, but i could never work out how/why i could never get any audio to play on videos on YT or while watching Twitch streams. So just stuck with Chrome, use the same extensions/addons that i used on firefox in chrome @ Vivaldi and chrome performs so much better then firefox, it was like i was using an 386 PC when using Firefox clicking menu's took forever to open opening tabs took forever wereas Vivaldi @ Chrome perform like there on some good juice.

if it weren't for the audio issue i would be using Vivaldi 24/7 such a nice looking browser

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Is Tampermonkey export broken for anyone else? I've tried making a File, Zip and Cloud export, both to Dropbox or Google Drive. All of them fail silently.

Working for me, only have adblock plus tampermonkey and stylus installed. Only tried the export to my hdd option not the others as i don't store stuff in cloud or dropbox.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone happen to have the stylish/stylus or greasemonkey thing to give the old breadcrumbs back ?

i have it look like this in Chrome using the SomethingAwful Fixes extension

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Skeleton posted:

I've got SomethingAwful fixes installed in my FF and it gives me full breadcrumbs. I think it does a fair few other things as well.

I'm not sure if it's officially maintained anywhere, but here's the code from my install:

https://pastebin.com/BjfJy6E0

:neckbeard: thnx heaps champ.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

I've shared my userChrome.css a couple times in this thread. I believe that some of you use it. Just an FYI but Firefox 102 will break the tab styling a tiny bit. I've updated my persistent pastebin entry with a fix. You can also just save a copy of this link as I push fixes to it whenever something breaks.

userChrome.css Photon style:
https://pastebin.com/mdvZZzNF

I haven't used FF in a long time. But Silly question how does 1 modify the userChrome.css . I'm uuuhhmmm asking for a friend.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Either the entire internet has suddenly turned on cloudflare and is asking every visitor to verify that they are human, or I'm getting a weird glitch that I can't google - every (or every second-third) site I try to access tells me click the little "verify that you are human" cloudflare checkbox.

How do I stop that from happening?

Are using a non ISP DNS service ? i for some weird reason always got the captcha' proove your human stuff constantly even when using Google's DNS or Cloudflare DNS.

I started using a different DNS service and only time i get a captcha thing is when i login to my kids roblox accounts to purchase them Robux credits. Or when i'm using the VPN client & Tor Browser. Clear-net websites throw up the captcha carp. Were as onion addresse's don't.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Right click tabs -> select all tabs -> bookmark tabs... -> enter today's date as folder name

Do this at whatever interval you feel is required to protect your precious tabs, while deleting old folders.

Optional: realize that bookmarks are a great way to save 999 things that you want to look at later, become enlightened.

Oh man i never even noticed that you could do this. I've got multiple FF windows running that each have a heap of pinned & non-pinned tabs and i just ended resorting to leaving the PC running 24/7 and using the FF sync thing prior to manually running windows update were it will want to Restart the PC.

i've probably seen that pop-up window a trillion times and it just never occured to me.

Like cheers Friend.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I used this guide :> https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-and-manage-multiple-profiles-in-firefox-2/ and i am able to have seperate windows open at the same time each using a different profile. I did manually install firefox into 4 different folders and changed stuff in the about : config thing also.

i did it years ago and it just somehow still works. But i'm pretty sure that i used that guide.

to open a new window using a different profile i have to select the iCon on the desktop with the relevant profile name and it will open a new window with that profile loaded. I also changed the firefox icons to help distinguish each firefox profile.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Did firefox push out 2 updates yesterday ( I live down under ).

Am i tripping but i swear FF pushed 2 updates yesterday 118.0.0 Then hours later 118.0.1 i'm using the 64-bit version. And i use WindowsLTSC on my main PC. And my Laptop is Win10 pro & Gamer PC is Win10 Pro they are on Firefox V 118.0.0 (64bit)

About to update them to V 118.0.1 (64bit)

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah Cheers Friend @Klyith. For clearing that up.

Also here's an Ars Tech article and it looks like a whole lotta app/s etc are vuln https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/09/new-0-day-in-chrome-and-firefox-is-likely-to-plague-other-software/

NVB fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 29, 2023

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

god please help me posted:

Bah, I got hit with the youtube stick and finally can not load anything on youtube. It's just completely gone now.

Edit: the video loaded after 2 minutes?

Just copy the video URL and open a Private Window and video will play. it will still load the page and works fine. You can then just click back to the normal window after watching if you have to make important post in "Comments" or do the whole Like & Subscribe & hit the Notification Bell cr*p every YT channel spouts multiple times throughout video's.

If your using uBlock Origin you can click the icon and open the settings and hold Shift & click Purge Cache then press Shift and click Update now on the Filter List Page.

Sorry Friend/s if i'm coming of like a complete and utter Jerk worked from 1pm and got home & 7am and the Junkies across the road decided to have a fight club meeting in the middle of the street so was woken up by 2 methed to the gills Wannabe Gangsta's screaming at each other while there Ice-Bunny covered junkie girlfriends were screeching like wild animals.

Just Exhausted and very Tired due to only getting 2hours sleep and the Caffeine isn't kicking in yet.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I never thought of copy/pasting into a private window. It's so obvious, but I am oblivious lol

What does the shift-click update now do versus just doing it without a shift?

It's all good friend. We all learn something new everyday

Hope either solution helps you.

Sidenote you can still grab the video and have it play in VLC & You don't get forced-fed onto your Device the super awesome totally not spyware tracking cookies - spamware - advertisement's forced onto you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

what's the best firefox (for PC) adblocker to play youtube and crap without ads?

i'm sick of google and chrome

I've been messing around with https://invidious.io/ Invidious is an open source alternative front-end to YouTube.

You can Either Use Invidious https://docs.invidious.io/instances/

or if you have a spare older PC or Laptop etc you can setup your own installation and run your own Instance. https://docs.invidious.io/installation/

I have been using it with Ublock disabled and have not had to deal with any of the YT carp etc.

Recently setup an Debian installation and it was a breeze to install/setup an instance on my laptop & configure.

There is also a FF Extension/Addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-redirect/

( Note* The FireFox Addon you will need to configure various settings in the addon menu for the different Re-Direct's etc. You can also enable/disable Redirects to your liking.)

quote:

Redirects Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, & Google Maps requests to privacy friendly alternatives - Nitter, Invidious, Bibliogram, & OpenStreetMap.

Allows for setting custom instances, toggling all redirects on/off and more.

NVB fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 15, 2024