Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is anyone on OS X having trouble with Youtube on Firefox? at first I just thought it was an issue with embedding, as seen here-

but now I"m getting the same issue when I go to youtube directly as well-

I have the latest flash player version, and in safari I can't seem to replicate it.

e: I tried forcing integrated video with gfxCardStatus, and it works there, but not with the dedicated card (I have a 2011 15" MBP with the 6750m).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work.

Interestingly, if I switch from dedicated/dynamic to integrated and back again, it does work (for that particular video, and not if I refresh the page), but only if I disable flash's hardware acceleration.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zachol posted:

I think at one point I had something like 70 tabs open over several windows and it was using about 1 gig of RAM. Now I've got maybe 5 tabs and it's at 450 megs (and I'd say these tabs are as or less complex than the 70ish I had before). That seems... odd, somehow.

I've had no more then about 8 tabs open (and usually no more than five) and have regularly seen it go over 1GB of RAM.

Then again, I'm on OS X so that's practically expected at this point, and is why I finally jumped ship to safari.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

crestfallen posted:

It's a red herring anyway. You should be asking yourself why you care. I would be glad to have FF (or any program really) use up more of my memory. Keep it responsive and smooth. I don't need to have like 50% of my RAM doing nothing at any given time. Use more of it up!

The problem is that in my (again, OS X primarily but also some Windows browsing) experience Firefox isn't really that responsive either.

e: I will admit that I haven't tried making a new profile since...ever (read: 3.6) and that I can probably think of an add-on that might be causing at least a couple of the issues in mind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alereon posted:

4. If If you still see slow startup/shutdown performance, make a new Firefox profile, go to Firefox, Add-Ons, Plugins, disable any plugins you aren't sure you want. Plugins from Antivirus vendors MURDER Firefox so make sure you don't have any. Since this is a clean profile there shouldn't be anything on the Extensions tab but check anyway and disable anything there.

This reminded me of something- I get a "scanning for viruses" alert whenever I download a file in FF, right before it allows me to open it. Is this a browser thing or should I be looking at my plugins/extensions? (This is a Windows & OS X thing so I doubt it's necessarily an anti-virus)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not anymore. It's 11.0 again.

There's an ftp link here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alereon posted:

Tech Report has an post with a screenshot showing the new default theme for Firefox, Australis. The new theme is designed to substantially improve performance, memory usage, and usability, and is still under development in the user experience branch. The Tech Report post compares the similarities between Australis and Google Chrome, which I think goes to show the degree to which Google's design choices aren't just aesthetic, but are functional and indeed are often the ONLY correct way to design a UI element.

If this actually adds Lion compatibility before Mountain Lion comes out I'll be impressed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kapalama posted:

It's worth thinking about why FIrefox is losing market share. They keep making non-functional design changes without fixing the memory leaks which have plagued FF forever, and without fixing security holes. Security holes are fixed when the products flaws are fixed not when a new product is put out in its place with its own set of security flaws.

Everything I've seen has Firefox being basically stable for the past year or so, could you provide charts that say otherwise?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

Today I learned that butts.com is for sale.

Redirect it to a bitcoin website.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ryokurin posted:

This is exactly why I wished that Mozilla stuck with their guns on notifying users that Plugin X can slow performance by 25% or more. They got as far as making a shame list, developers complained and they later caved. It's one of the main reasons why people still think Firefox is slow.

I thought the problem with that was that while the extensions did reduce performance it was measured in amounts so quick that it was barely noticeable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's still no unibar by default?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

xamphear posted:

Are there really that many "stupids" still using Firefox? Unless you're hooked on add-ons, you're probably using Chrome or IE. Mozilla seems to think it's still 2009 where they had a full third of the desktop market and were still on the rise. Instead it's been a steady decline since 2010 and now they're down to something like 17%.

17% is still a shitton of people, especially since a bunch of spergs use Chrome as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pipes! posted:

:lol: if you think ad companies make their money from actually getting people to buy the product or service featured on their web ads.

Well, Google certainly doesn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RZApublican posted:

If it is that kind of sucks because I don't think that Netflix has moved to Mozilla's HTML5 DRM thing yet.

They haven't, and I think they're the only browser that still requires silverlight (maybe Chrome too?).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox 42 (on the Developer channel at the moment) has this really cool feature - any tab with audio playing has a speaker icon beside the favicon in the tab bar.

If you click the speaker, it mutes the tab's audio. Nice!

That's in Safari (on El Capitan) right now too, I think Chrome or someone had it earlier too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Desuwa posted:

I have a great idea! Let's kill off the single most popular add-on which is the only thing keeping a significant part of our userbase from jumping ship to one of our derivatives that doesn't pander as hard to the least technical users!

I predict this will do next to nothing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cebrail posted:

In the coming weeks? So both Netflix and Amazon Prime will use HTML5 only soon™?

Netflix uses it already for everything that's not Firefox.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mortanis posted:

Is there something you need to enable to get Netflix running native under Firefox on Windows? I've read a bunch of articles saying that it was coming earlier in the year, but Firefox still wants me to install Silverlight. I'm on 41.0.2 and would love to fully ditch Chrome here.

Originally Firefox didn't want to support it because of closed source things, blah blah blah. Then they realized without Netflix their marketshare would crater, so they had to switch over. Now they're kinda waiting on Netflix and/or still transitioning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Milkman posted:

What sites still use flash? Aside from clunky local news stations, and I guess newgrounds if that's still a thing I can't really think of any, especially ones I'd actually care about. I haven't had it installed since youtube started having most stuff available in html5

Lots of :filez: sites, Twitch, lots of enterprise sites (though those are mostly internal), etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NAT-T Ice posted:

I should try more to see if any work with Firefox if I switch user agents. I expect that major video sites (Amazon, Netflix) require DRM code that isn't in Firefox yet.

I believe Firefox is the only browser that doesn't have Netflix in HTML5 for exactly that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now?

Did they ever get HTML5 Netflix?