Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Dang so after upgrading to FF6 this addon that I love finally broke, even changing the max version number now wont fix it, so does anyone know of a good addon that can replace this where I can get the same functionality?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/signature/

The addon is Signature, it was great for quickly entering in different emails and usernames for pretty much anything you needed to log into with a simple right click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Awesome, both of those 2 suggestions seems to be exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Looks like Firefox 7 Final has release ahead of schedule. Hi RAM I missed you.

Firefox 7.0 for Windows
Firefox 7.0 for Linux
Firefox 7.0 for MacOS

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I've been having this problem for a very long time now with Hotmail in Firefox, basically when I sign into Hotmail it goes into crazy mode and refreshes non stop making using it practically impossible, it even locks up Firefox briefly as well sometimes. I'm not sure what is causing this, it used to be fine before, not exactly sure when "before" is because its been crazy for several months now, anyone have an ideas?

If this is just a Firefox thing and is normal then no biggie I can just use IE for accessing my Hotmail and everything works smooth that way.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there an add-on that allows me to stop things like large pictures and gif's from loading with a right click > context menu? I know that I can always just hit Esc, but that stops the whole page from loading when I just want to be able to target a specific thing.

Also regarding my earlier post above about my problem with Hotmail, I'm just wondering if any of you use Hotmail with Firefox and if so does it run smoothly for you? At least this way I'll know if it's just me or if it's a Firefox thing and I can stop looking for a solution.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't use Hotmail, but when I log in, it seems to freak out and do a bunch of requests at random intervals. None of them interfere with Firefox's operation. I'm going to assume that this is Microsoft's problem, because everything I've ever seen of their web development suggests they live in a delusional world where people use Internet Explorer.

Okay that's good to hear, I've ran Firefox in safe mode with no add-on and still had Hotmail freak out on me, which made me think WTF is causing this, and I couldn't find any solutions Googleing, but if it's a common Firefox thing then I can give up and just deal with it. I'll just switch to IE which works perfect when I need to use Hotmail.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

ryanbruce posted:

Or if you're alright with using a plugin to solve your issue, give IETab a shot. It's what I do for those one-off sites that work better in IE

I gave it a shot but unfortunately it only helps reduce the wonkyness by like 50% and even though that's an improvement, it's still to much wonky to deal with. I do know now what is causing it though, with NoScript I can block "wlxrs.com" and that will stop all the crazy non stop refreshing that happens, but it also breaks Hotmail too and prevents me from clicking anything on the page, so it seems to be Hotmail's drop down menu script thingies.

But man, you had gotten my hopes up with your suggestion, I used to have IETab installed a long long time ago but just never used it so I removed it then forgot about it, then when I saw your post I was all holy poo poo that's definitely my answer right there.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So this has been bugging me for a while now and I just want to know if this is normal or did something not uninstall/install correctly and I have 2 running or whatever.

When I watch a flash video like from youtube, in my task manager it shows flash player running x2 is this normal?

Also I'm on Windows 7 64bit so shouldn't flash be 64 bit as well or is that normal too?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Thanks for clearing that up, I can rest a bit easier now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Not sure why this version would cure screen tearing, it was just a security update.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/enduser-release-notes-11_3.html

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's not a bug with 17 since I don't have what you have, so it's on your end. No clue how to fix something like that in the about:config, but creating a new profile will surly fix it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Welp, first problem I've ever had with Firefox in years. I'm unable to open the add-on manager, Tools > Add-on or Shift+Ctrl+A doesn't do anything. I just updated to FF 17 like an hour ago, I assume this is just me or are you guys also experiencing this as well?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

m2pt5 posted:

Try putting about :addons in the address bar? (Without the space; the forum inserts that automatically.)

This works, it also works when I try it on a blank tab, I've tried FF with add-on's disabled and everything works fine, so I'm just going to give it a day or 2 to see if some of my add-on's get updated, like no-script or add blocker plus.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oh hey, so I figured out what was causing this issue, Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3, disabling that single add-on fixes everything, so yeah just waiting on that update I guess.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Maybe its a specific setting I have in TabMixPlus, but it's a known issue over at there forums with lots of people complaining, apparently their current dev build fixes this. I'll probably just wait for the update to get patched through Firefox since it's not a big deal.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I'd rather they focus on one instead of splitting there time working on 2, 64bit adds nothing anyway besides more problems and more memory space, but considering Firefox's memory usage we don't “really” need more than 4gb of ram. This whole illusion that 64bit can bring performance improvements over 32bit needs to stop already, it doesn't always hold true for everything 32bit vs 64bit.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I have no idea if this will help but I've heard people say it has helped Firefox for slowdowns, grab the latest winapp.ini for CCleaner and CCleaner if you don't already have it and check every box that's listed under Firefox and clean, see if after all that FF junk being erased helped. Also I see a lot of people saying to "run Crystal Disk Info" that checks your harddrives for errors, if there are errors, thats probably the cause for the slowdowns which can't be fixed without a harddrive replacement.

Oh and if you grab Crystal Disk Info grab the portable version, that version have no addware junk bundled in.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2012

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

movax posted:

when I click on 'Add-Ons' to manage/disable them..nothing pops up. :haw:

If this is the bug I'm thinking of it's caused by the add-on Tab Mix Plus, you should still be able to manage your add-ons by manually typing in the address bar about :addons or just go to a blank page and go Tools > Add-ons and it should work then.

If you do use Tab Mix Plus and want to fix this you'll have to download the latest dev build at the dev's site http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15740

They don't plan to release the next official version until January for the stupid reason.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Also disable the Java browser plugin, not sure if you actually have it installed, it's just a hunch.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's just a Facebook crash fix, if you don't use Facebook there is no reason to update, also v19 is right around the corner.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

NihilCredo posted:

What is the best anti-tracking cookie addon? Beef Taco, Ghostery's cookie protection, or something else?

RequestPolicy hands down, RequestPolicy blocks all cross-site bug requests by default, unlike Ghostery and Co that uses blacklists to filter. The downside to it's very comprehensive permission controls is that for many it's a large learning curve, so prepare yourself to spend some time teaching it through whitelists like you needed to do with NoScript.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/requestpolicy/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Lum posted:

SumatraPDF is what will allow you to be rid of Foxit Reader. It's the least poo poo PDF reader.

Only downside is it doesn't support forms or scripting or flash or whatever the gently caress else they put in PDFs these days that would never work when printed.

This is also the reason why it is under 5MB and isn't constantly being exploited.

SumatraPDF is indeed super fast and is my default reader next to adobe's, and I cant recommend Sumatra enough, but man it's so minimalistic and simple to a fault. I wish they would at least add a few things to it that are pretty much standard nowadays to make life easier, thumbnail previews, customizable toolbar, and even a few smaller things like show the current zoom% on the toolbar would help a ton in using it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Alereon posted:

Adobe Reader is extremely insecure, it's one of the primary ways that computers are infected with malware. If you use the built-in PDF reader you are protected from security vulnerabilities and also don't have to wait for the plug-in to load, which makes things snappier (especially when actually loading pages with PDFs).

Not really, Adobe X and XI now both sandbox the files much like their flash player, and for the super paranoid you can even go into preference>javascript>disable and boom it's now very secure. Now you have a fully featured reader with great rendering.

The only reason people hate on it so much is that yes it gets exploited just like everything, and because its the standard everywhere and very popular it makes the news on all the blogs, no one gives two poo poo about Foxit Reader enough to say that an exploit has been found, so people think its the better safer option, yet look through Foxit's change logs for all the versions and you'll find a lot of vague security fixes, like this last update of theirs. "- Fixed a security issue where attackers can exploit a web browser plugin vulnerability to execute arbitrary code."

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

pseudorandom name posted:

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa13-02.html

Buffer overflow exploit that bypasses the sandbox in Adobe Reader 10 and 11, advisory released last week.

I never said it didn't get exploited or ever will again, only that it's now much more secure then it used to be and you only every hear about this kind of stuff about Adobe, when the alternatives are just a vulnerable and by many of the exact same exploits that are used against Adobe.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

cycowolf posted:

I really wish Firefox would let me see my add-ons. Tried everything with no luck.

If this is that very old bug that I think it is where going Tools > Add-Ons doesn't work, the root cause is from another Add-On Tab-Mix Plus, go to there forums and update to the latest dev build and the issue will be fixed, about :addons hsould work as well.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

NihilCredo posted:

Yousabletubefix is what I've been using for probably years at this point and it's never let me down. Even when a site update breaks it it's generally autoupdated within a few days.

I used to use this but switched to another because it had a lot of broken features and if they are broken its just bloat for the sake of bloat, did they ever fix the playlist stop autoplay stuff yet? Even most of the "Hide things" on pages didn't even work.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If you have recently installed/upgraded to IE10 (think Final went live on Feb 26th) on your PC then the issue with rendering is probably caused from that (technically from an update that came along with IE10), as it did some changes to the way Windows renders font on an OS level, and I don't think its possible to reverted those changes once done, and this seems to only be an issue for a small select number of people though, not everyone has problems, so congrats be being one of the lucky ones.

The only solution I've heard of is to disable azure for content in about:config.

Then again, I have no clue if the above is your issue since all you've said was "font display issues" which is pretty vague, so if you're still on IE9 or don't run Windows at all then what Alereon said could probably be a fix to your problem.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yup that's the one.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695

Now that you know whats the problem you can try and Google around for a solution.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
The LastPass guys are terrible with support with anything that isn't considered officially released, and when something does become officially released it can take them a few weeks to fix and release a new LastPass build. It's just one of the things you need to deal with and factor in if you like using beta and alpha browsers. I'm still not even sure if LastPass works with IE10 yet.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Captain Invictus posted:

I tried going into Firefox safe mode, and that seems to fix Youtube favoriting/rating/etc, but manually disabling all addons afterward to try it that way didn't work. What would be causing my Youtube issues, if disabling all addons manually didn't fix it, but FF safe mode did?

Is there a safe way to revert to an older version of Firefox quickly without screwing up tabs and such?

You could try the addon ecleaner, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ecleaner/ and delete any old junk that past addons left behind that you don't use anymore, sometimes they leave settings/configs that never go away even after you've uninstalled them, which can cause problems.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah, in maybe the last 7 years I've maybe had one problem with Firefox ever, and it was caused by... surprise surprise an addon, the problem is people install these huge fuckoff lists of 30 addons and then when something break they have no clue whats causing it, then they blame Firefox for the problems and go back to Chrome. I guess Mozilla just needs to come up with a better way of being able to diagnose problems with addons, or just curate their poo poo hardcore after every patch. Heck one of the most popular addon combo is Better Privacy and AdBlcoker Plus, unfortunately those two addons have been clashing against each other for over a year and I bet literally no one knows of it, just because they don't see anything wrong on there end, and yet they probably have a folder they don't know about reaching 1 GB in size and climbing. It's always addons guys, 99% of the time.

Anyway to solve problems, update your drivers, update your flash, update that fuckoff list of addons, and if still bugged reset Firefox to its default state.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hogburto posted:

That's weird. I've been using Adblock Plus and Better Privacy and my profile directory is only 254 MB (143 I could just delete from the cache folder). And it's not new. I've been dragging the same profile around for years through a lot of versions of Firefox and a lot of add-ons. Firefox is an unstoppable tank against my abuse.

It does depend on configuration I've found, but just out of curiosity this is what my adblockplus folder looks like (aka normal) but what happens commonly with a lot of people is that every time they close Firefox, a new 1MB~ size patterns file gets created and over time there can be as many as 10,000 of them, its a bug but most people don't notice. So people with Adblock Plus + Better Privacy in Firefox type about :support and go to your Profile Folder and check whats in the adblcokplus folder, I kinda want to hear just how large some of your guys folder size is.

Also with 15 addons my self my profile is only 32MB's total, yours sitting at 254 MB seems really large to me.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm not talking about the patterns-backup1-5 I think up to five is normal there, but the other patterns file can end up duplicating it's self up to insane numbers like 10,000 plus, if you only have a few files then there is nothing to worry about, just saying it's quite a common problem for lots of people and they just don't know about it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Since this update I notice now that when a video is playing such as Youtube, I used to be able to right click on it and there was "stop video" option in the context menu, this option is not there anymore. I'm not sure if this was a flash update change or FF change, anyway to get this functionality back?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm told that Youtube changed something with their videos and now I'm no longer able to right click on them > stop, to stop them, the only way I know now to stop them is to either close/reopen the tab I'm on or refresh the page, anyone have a better solution then this?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hogburto posted:

You just want it to stop downloading? When I hit pause, it automatically stops downloading ahead (and resumes downloading on play). HTML5, if it matters.
If you must have it play up to a point but also not let it download anything past that point, you're out of luck but that's a pretty niche circumstance isn't it?

Late on this, but for me when I hit the stop button it will keep buffering the video until it's done.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So you know when you highlight a word or phrase then right clicking it you can do a "Search "searchengine" for word/phrase", is there a hot key I can use instead of the whole right clicking each time? I'd like to just highlight and press a button or a combo of buttons to open a new tab for the search result if possible.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's amazing, I have literally never used that key in all my life and I've been using computers for at least 20 years, if only they were a bit closer together though for easier one hand usage, still much improved over the right clicking way.

^^ Oh man I just realized I can right click to open the menu and just press the letter S, amazed again. No more will I miss click and hit "view source".

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 29, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A very pro tip indeed, since I'm learning lots of cool things maybe I can learn another, for when I do a new search with the right click + S combo it opens in a new tab and steals focus (puts me on that new tab) anyway to make it open passively in the background?

I know about the option setting Tools > Options > Tabs > [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately, which is indeed unchecked and this seems to work well for regular links, but bookmarks and this search engine search seem to ignore this rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Awesome, that about:config never ceases to amaze me with what I can change about Firefox.