Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Do you use an SSD? This is probably caused by your PC being slow or slow harddrive, just a theory but try going into options and disable the "Clear History when FireFox closes" option, that could fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Since we are on Ghostery talk, in the options for Ghostery there is that Performance section, I am wondering if those are redundant to have checked for someone who also runs NoScript + Adblock Plus + Better Privacy?

Performance Options

Scan and block images
Scan and block iframes
Scan and block embed and object tags
Look for and prevent redirection
Delete Flash and Silverlight cookies on exit

I personally keep them all unchecked because I think they are just redundant and cause unnecessary performance loss, am I right in my thinking?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there an addon or greasemoney script that can disable gifs from loading and give it a click-to-play function like with youtube videos?

An example is how http://9gag.com/ does it with their gifs, I want this but for all sites that show gifs.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

ringu0 posted:

Pause Animated GIFS in Firefox and IE

You can selectively play paused GIFs by clicking on them with right mouse button and selecting "View Image Info" from a context menu.

This will stop animations but I want it to stop gifs from loading, more of a bandwidth saver/loading pages quicker when lots of gifs are posted. With that setting switched to none, it still seems that pages loads very slowly with lots of gifs posted.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I don't know if this is a Firefox thing or maybe it's a Flash thing, but for about a day now I've notice that all Youtube videos will now always start muted by default, does anyone know how to fix this?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Nope, FF24.0 and up-to-date flash (non beta stuff).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It seems it's a Google issue and not us, it's on their end and will fix it eventually.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/ETfCgHO4MhU[1-25-true]

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
No surprise here, but almost everything can already be undone with the Classic Theme Restorer add-on for those who don't like the changes.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'd first try going to Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled, and if things are working then you'll know its a faulty add-on causing problems, try enabling them one by one until you find the cause. Another thing you can try is getting eCleaner add-on and manually delete any hidden old add-on settings/files you see that you know you don't use anymore, when you remove add-ons they sometimes leave lots of junk behind and sometimes those can cause problems even if you removed said add-on. If all else fails go Help > Troubleshooting Information > Reset Firefox to its default state.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So after updating to the latest version 26.0, it seems Download Statusbar no longer works, does anyone have a good replacement for this addon that brings back similar functionality?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-statusbar/reviews/

Lots of people are having issues with it now that 26.0 rolled out, I'm on the latest version of it 0.9.10 which came out on October 28, 2011... Seems pretty dead at this point. Someone in those reviews point out this http://www.dnubs.com/ (Mod Edit: This is malware) but I don't feel conformable downloading something that's super new and on some offsite that no one has heard of before, hopefully that will get it's own page on Firefox's addon site and get some reviews to back it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

That's almost as old as my beloved Mouse Gestures Redox -_-

The replacement (DNub, what a stupid name) is already up on addons.mozilla.org (preliminarily) so I assume it's probably safe to give it a go and see how it feels: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-nubs/

So holy poo poo, That stupid name of an addon DNubs actually was malicious according so some mozilla dev's and firefox pulled their page last night.

Hope none of you guys gave that add-on worth a try. Guess the moral here is don't install unverified extensions from unknown authors from offsite websites that just magically pop up, wait for Mozilla and some reviews first.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 12, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Some forum posters over at mozillazine and I guess me too may have jumped the gun early on whether Dnubs is actually malicious or not, it might not be, the code is all obfuscated but it's being reviews, I'd still wait until it officially gets a page of its own and a few hundred downloads with good reviews first though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Scott808 posted:

There's now another replacement for Download Statusbar for Firefox 26 called (shockingly) Download Status Bar
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-status-bar/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2782661

Do the addons all undergo review before they're placed up for download on addons.mozilla.org?

I've been using this for a few days now, its pretty good (not like there are other options), its still missing a lot of features but its in very rapid development getting 1-2 updates a day with new features getting added each time that bring it closer to what Download Statusbar was, in a week or two it'll probably be an exact replica.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem, an add-on, flash or Youtube problem but lately when I try and watch random videos (not all of them) they simply won't load until I refresh the page (sometimes a few refreshes are needed) and then they'll work magically. I'm on the latest Firefox, latest flash, all add-ons are up to date and I've tried with all add-ons disabled with the same results, is only started maybe a few weeks ago. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Fake edit: Seems it's one of my GreaseMonkey scripts 'YouTube - Auto-Buffer & Auto-HD' hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 13, 2014

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Knormal posted:

So is it even going to be possible for an add-on to add the status bar back in Australis? What what you guys are saying it sounds like the new interface doesn't support creating additional bars.

It's already possible.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jeeves posted:

Tried to give it the benefit of a the doubt, but installed Classic Theme Restorer in less than a minute. It really feels like Google threw a bunch of money at them to make it look as much like Chrome as possible to make people think that is 'how a web browser should look', thus killing off other web browsers that are not Chromeish.

Now if only I could find a way to remove the animations from when you open the bookmark menu or such. It's slight, but it is drat annoying to someone that turns off all animations by default.

Is this what your looking for?

And yeah put me in the camp that tried to like it but had to install Classic Theme Restorer, poo poo's awful.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I use Toggle animated GIFs and couldn't imagine Firefox without it. Having a pause and rewind button on all gifs (on mouseover) is incredible.

Does this stop them from loading/downloading? I'd love something like this if I could load them on demand with a simple click like how most embedded videos don't start until you press play. Seriously some forums people just need to post an endless amount of huge fuckoff sized gifs for no reason and pages end up taking so long to load, stop that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jeeves posted:

Anyone know how to get rid of the right-click context menu entry "Search [your default search engine] for "Selected link"..."?

Oh god this, this is driving me crazy and I'm pretty sure it only just recently started to happen. Maybe an addon updated did this?

Using the above link as an example http://pastebin.com/DkEa3Uwa before you were able to highlight a part of the link like 'pastebin' then right click > search Google and it would act as if you just typed 'pastebin' in the Google search, now no matter how you highlight a link it will always search the link in full such as 'http://pastebin.com/DkEa3Uwa' in Google.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Gorilla Salad posted:

To anyone running the YouTube Center Greasemonkey addon - it's now an extension in its own right.

Also, it no longer works as a Greasemonkey script. You can still play YouTube videos if they're embedded elsewhere, but if you try to play them on YouTube itself, you'll just see a black box where the video should be.

So whats the course of action then? Wait for the YouTube Center guy to update the addon (he is fixing it right?), or look for an alternative YouTube Center?

jeeves posted:

This seems like another odd addition to Firefox. The corporate conspiracy nutter in me thinks it is another stipulation of the huge amount of money Google throws at Firefox to be their default search provider, but heh.

I did some digging and it just seems this is a bug in Firefox 29/30 and is fixed in 31. (Bug 985824)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Works great, thanks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

How do I get rid of this thing at the top? My mouse has forward/back buttons and I don't need ANOTHER way to accidentally add bookmarks.
It showed up after the update to Firefox 32, I think.

Not against this, but do the B F R shortcuts still work? Also I'm on the latest but mine are still text based, is there a about :config option I need to toggle?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm having a really weird problem now, and the only things that have changed on my end in the last 2 days or so were TabMixPlus dev build updated and Classic Theme Restorer updated, I've tried going back a version to see if that solved it but it doesn't, another thing is that this could have always been and I just noticed it today but I doubt it. Anyway the problem is that with a bit of browser use these forums become choppy scrolling upwards, middle mouse click to bring that scroll dot (whatever that is) and having it scroll up causes pretty bad choppiness to happen, slower scrolling is much more noticeable, it's really weird as scrolling down is smooth as butter it's only when going up, and only on these forums, it gets really really bad requiring me to restart the browser which does fix it until a bit of browser use again, any ideas? It sounds like a memory leak but doing a FF garbage collect does nothing and my ram usage isn't high (450k~) and it's only on these forums and it's only when going up, so drat strange. I'm wondering if others notice this too.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Has anyone's Firefox not been showing as having updates ready to download for their addons installed when there is indeed a newer version of the addon? Every few days I tend to go to the add-on page and do a manual 'Check for Updates' then it just tells me 'No Updates Found' so I do it in another few days, whatever, but I actually checked the addons website manually this time and noticed there was new versions I wasn't getting and that I was behind a version or two, having me to install it manually off their website again. These were the ones out of date apparently.

I only noticed this yesterday so I don't know if something is broke on my end for the updater, I guess I just need to wait and see if I get any more updates through the Firefox addons page before I call something broke.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jink posted:

Is it something to do with the add-ons not being set to auto upgrade?
I've never had that Automatically option checked, I've always just done it manually with the top option.

Aleph Null posted:

I had that problem when going through the proxy server at work but not at home.
No proxies here, this is from home. If this is broke on my end it broke recently or it's exclusive to a few specific addons because Lastpass for example updated a few days ago on it's own.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jink posted:

Want to clarify something here.

Firefox won't automatically update addons unless they come from https://addons.mozilla.org/ Custom addons from a developer's direct site will not automatically update (since Firefox would have no clue how to check for these updates).

All my addons except for Enhanced Steam came from addons.mozilla.org, and astral is also right in that it shouldn't matter either way. Anyway it seems like others in this thread are have the same problem so maybe it's just a bug on Mozilla's end, might be wise to manually check your installed addons to see if any are outdated. A quickish way to check is in Firefox's addon page right click the addon and go to 'About' then 'Visit Home Page' or whatever.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
NoScript v2.6.8.39 released today, Firefox not picking up the update sitting on v2.6.8.38. :negative:

Any idea where the settings are stored for this kind of thing, maybe mine is corrupted. I've tried renaming addon.json and extensions.json in my profile and making anew but the update for NoScript still doesn't pick up, also in about:config both app.update.enabled and extensions.update.enabled settings are set to true.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
You can also just manually disable the Age thing with a tiny URL change shown here. http://www.wikihow.com/Bypass-Age-Restrictions-on-YouTube-Videos

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
No idea what that is but I did noticed this in one of the the changelogs for Classic Theme Restorer, so maybe try one of their beta's or look up Gmail Manager NG.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Screenshot?

A few suggestions anyway, try using CCleaner, but first grab Winapp2.ini here http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=102af9198cc4c85fe53e102c6cefeb25&showtopic=32310 and under the Windows section in CCleaner make sure this is checked.

quote:

[Recent Items More*]
LangSecRef=3025
DetectFile=%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations
Default=False
Warning=Running this will remove task lists from the start menu (the expandable triangle next to some applications)
FileKey1=%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations|*.*|RECURSE

If that doesn't work you can also try a program called Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and searching your computer for the files you are trying to delete, chances are Everything will find some weird looking registry locations for that file name and you can delete those and the problem should be fixed.

Another fix for broken looking files is to delete the IconCache at C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local Make sure 'show hidden folders and files' is enabled in the explorer option, when you delete that file go into Task Manager and end process 'explorer.exe' then still in Task Manager go File > New Task > 'explorer.exe' to start it again.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 13, 2014

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I would start with

quote:

Another fix for broken looking files is to delete the IconCache at C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local Make sure 'show hidden folders and files' is enabled in the explorer option, when you delete that file go into Task Manager and end process 'explorer.exe' then still in Task Manager go File > New Task > 'explorer.exe' to start it again.

first, and try CCleaner as a last option as CCleaner will remove them from the jump list, if that's a problem for you.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm not really sure then, when files look like that it's usually because of an corrupted IconCache which is super common and deleting the old IconCache file and restarting explorer.exe always fixes that. When files 'are' deleted but don't seem to be removed from your computer, then that's a registry thing and the Everything trick does wonders, happens to me all the time with Java 8 installs. If it's Firefox that is creating those files, then my guess would be one of your add-ons, try disabling every single add-on and see if those files reappear, if they don't then it is an add-on issue, you can re-enable each add-on one one by one again to see if you can pinpoint the problem one.

Curious what extension those files are, .pdf, .html, bookmarks?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
You could always try out AdMuncher https://www.admuncher.com/

NOTE: I'm not a shill, I've never used this, I only saw a ghacks article about it once and went "oh neat".

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/19/free-version-of-ad-blocking-program-admuncher-now-available/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Another new version, another new terrible feature, how can I get the Search Bar to work the old way? My issues with it is I have it defaulted to Google, but when I need to search multiple things on another engine, I used to do this by changing the default engine by drop down box then 'highlight the word' + 'S' key to do quick searches, now I have to go into even more menus just to change the default engine or use clicks instead of the shortcut way, also you can't middle click the different engines to open things in a new tab.

EDIT: Found a way to disable it.
1. about :config
2. browser.search.showOneOffButtons set this to false.
3. Restart the browser.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Mozilla blocked Flash for all previous versions yesterday due to CVE-2014-9163. http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2014-9163

You will need to update to Flash 16.0.0.235 to get Flash player working again. http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So someone left a comment on my Steam profile, wondering who it was I click on his profile link but it keeps crashing my browser, dose anyone else crash from this link? http://steamcommunity.com/id/scorpiusg59

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 16, 2015

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
^^ Thanks for this, I did some digging and this crashing was caused by the addon Enhanced Steam v7.2.2, it was a known issue or something that was fixed with v7.2.3 which wasn't being pushed through like a regular update. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam#announcements/detail/132062387906888832

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Bieeardo posted:

Crashed Firefox 35, and 36 after I updated a minute later.

Are you referring to crashing after upgrading your Enhanced Steam addon? The link specifically says to remove the old install before upgrading, so maybe try that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What's your beef with No Scripts,? it's pretty drat perfect in my eyes. There are alternatives sure, such as RequestPolicy and that may give you more control over what gets through, but comes at a greater cost of "pain in the rear end to configure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's probably one of your add-ons or greasemonkey scripts that do things to youtube.