Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

Firefox is crashing/being slow/acting weird/using a lot of memory. How do I fix it?
  1. Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox and all extensions.
  2. Use https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to make sure all plugins are up to date (specifically, ensure Flash is current).
  3. Ensure that you have the latest graphics drivers, you may need to use Beta drivers on AMD cards.
  4. If it's still weird, disable all extensions. If Firefox acts normal with all extensions disabled, re-enable extensions one by one until you determine the culprit.
  5. If it's still weird, check your plugins (plugins are different from extensions!). Try disabling 3rd party extensions (VLC, Flash, Java, etc.).
  6. If it's still weird, try recreating a new profile using the built-in Refresh Firefox feature.
  7. If it's still weird, manually create a new profile.
  8. If it's still weird with a new profile, uninstall and reinstall Firefox.
  9. If it's still weird after doing all of these things, post in this thread.

On Saturday, Firefox just started crashing. Sometimes it will crash after 5 mins. of being idle, other times, it will crash when I open it, then load a webpage, and still other times it will go for hours before crashing.

I've done everything in the above list. All plugins and extentions are up to date, and I also went through all of my Greasemonkey scripts replacing http with https for the forums here.

It's extra weird, because it's only doing it on my desktop, and not my laptop, which I copied my Firefox profile to when I recently clean installed Windows 10 on it.

When I did the uninstall-reinstall step, I instead installed the 64-bit version, v44.0.2. My PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, SP1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

If you've exhausted that list, it might be a hardware problem. Have you ever run memtest before? Scanned your hard drive for bad sectors?

Is there a memtest.exe I can download? Because everything I've found is either an ISO that has to be burned to a disc, or is talking about \boot\memtest...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

If you've exhausted that list, it might be a hardware problem. Have you ever run memtest before? Scanned your hard drive for bad sectors?

Finally had some time to run Memtest86+. I let it run overnight Monday, and Tuesday morning, it had gone through 8 cycles, with no errors, so my memory is still OK.

Windows did a boot time scan of the HDD not that long ago, because there was a power surge while I was at work, and it came back fine.

Firefox still crashing because it can, though not quite as frequently. If I've had it closed for a length of time (while I'm eating dinner, or after going to bed, going to work the next day, then coming home), it will crash shortly after I open it, and then it's good for a bit. I have it send a report every time it crashes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Applebees posted:

Go to about :crashes, and link some of the crash reports here. It could provide an idea of whether it's a plugin issue or something already known.

Here's the three latest: 2/24/2016 5:07 PM, 2/24/2016 8:08 PM, 2/25/2016 5:53 PM.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yup. The Windows 10 thread suggested using Magical Jelly Bean to find your Windows 7 key for upgrading to Windows 10 if you couldn't read the sticker on your case anymore. That installed OpenCandy. Thanks!

Also, I'd suggest adding Run Malwarebytes to the OP right after making sure you have the latest version of Firefox, and making sure all plugins are up to date.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cactus Jack posted:

Use ninite and don't blindly click through poo poo like a moron when you install something.

I don't click through like a moron, and I always look for a custom install option, and/or checkboxes. Magical Jelly Bean just installs it without saying a damned thing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nalin posted:

Load up a thread with animated gifs then switch tabs for 5-10 minutes. Switch back to the thread and scroll down to the first gif. The browser will then lock up for 5-20 seconds or so (the longer you wait before switching back, the longer it locks up).

If the thread has animated gifs all the way down the page, the browser will continuously lock up after each one comes into view.

Yeah. That's why I was happy when they added inline WebM and GIFV support to the forums. Now if we can just get the mods to make it a rule that those formats must be used in the PYF GIFs thread...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

I've had no problems with this one. Seems pretty simple and doesn't add anything dumb that I can see.

What about Google's own Search By Image add-on?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

Why the gently caress would you use a recursive call in production code? :psyduck:

Because Twitter and Facebook are having a contest to see who can get away with the worst coding possible.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I contacted them about it in February. This was the response I got:

imgur posted:

Hi there Kheldarn,

Thank you for writing in. I apologize for the delay and the inconvenience. Unfortunately the plugin that was used on firefox was only available for versions up to 22 I believe. Mozilla soon removed the plugin as it was not supported any longer.

A quick Google search does show other third party extensions available. I do apologize for this inconvenience. I hope to see you further within the community.

We are always here to help if you have any other questions, comments or concerns.

Thank you,

Isaac K.

I managed to get it working on FF 44.0.2 by having a profile backup from when I was using ~22-ish. (I have it because I never upgraded Firefox between that version and 44.0.2).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's been happening to me for forever. I just chalk it up as a Firefox bug that will probably never be fixed because there's just not enough data to find the problem.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Have they made a public release with the fix for GIFs yet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

All releases including nightlies are public. However, I assume you mean, "Has the fix hit the Release Channel yet?" The answer is no (it is a part of Firefox 47).

Thank you. And I knew I was gonna word that bad. Sorry.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Im_Special posted:

Hyperbole! Anyway you can check to see if your add-ons are broke or not on this page. https://www.arewee10syet.com/

Most of mine are listed as Bug Reported or Shimmed (whatever that means).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So is 47, a.k.a. .GIF Fix, Live now?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unless there's some (hidden?) setting I have to change, 47 still shits the bed when the PYF GIF thread is open, and even moreso if I have other threads open in other tabs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I read it once a day. There were... ~17 new posts tonight.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

:shrug: I just went and un-read the last page and it was fine. Then I un-read the previous page and it was also fine (once it loaded). This is on a Yoga 2 Pro with an i5-4200 and 4 GB of ram, so not a beast.

Maybe it's because I also had about 12 other tabs open? The only animated stuff I remember from those other threads was from banner ads at the bottom, and the occasional avatar...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

One more reason I tend to avoid the website, and just use Fenix on my phone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TabMixPlus lets you set a refresh timer on any page.

Right-click on the page, choose Reload Tab Every >, and set the time you want. You can even set a custom time.

I've been using TMP for so long, I don't remember if it's enabled by default (I think it is, though). If it's not, in the settings for TMP, click on the Menu icon, then on the Tab Context Menu, check Reload Tab.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 31, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know of an add-on or Greasemonkey script that unfucks the developer pages on the Play Store? It used to be that if you clicked on a developer's name, it would show you all their apps in a grid format, like you get when you search for an app. Now it's this stupid bullshit where you get a giant image for the developer, then at the bottom, you get a row of like 5 apps, and you have to keep clicking a stupid arrow on the page to scroll.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sadly, that doesn't seem to work for all of them. I tried it with Kemco, and got a Not Found error.

I'm an idiot, and forgot to modify the URL right. Works fine!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Firefox is at 47.0.1 for me, and About says it's up to date, yet the website download is 49.0.1. I'm guessing some add-on I have is messing with it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just went to the website, downloaded and installed 49.0.1, and now I have two versions of Firefox: 47.0.1 and 49.0.1... :psyduck:

Oh. I see. I just checked the CP, and 47.0.1 is (x64), while 49.0.1 is (x86).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Since upgrading to 50.0.2, any time I open a new tab, it automatically places the cursor in the URL bar, and makes the bar blank. Is there any way to make it stop doing this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Read posted:

I can't remember a time when Firefox didn't do this, what behaviour would you like it to have? "about :blank" or "about :newtab" in the url bar and no active element?

What I want it to do is just open a new tab, and not have any focus anywhere. It did it just fine until I updated to 50.0.2.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Why? What purpose does that serve?

When I open a new tab, I don't need to have the focus on the address bar, because there's already something in it. Firefox puts the focus there, and makes it empty. If I hit Escape, or click on a non-link on the webpage, then it puts the URL back. This even happens if I go to Bookmarks, and chose to open something in a new tab.

Read posted:

I'm not sure how that's possible unless you were using an extremely old version of Firefox. Some quick googling suggests that focusing the address bar on new tabs has been default functionality since at least Firefox 40.

You could write a Greasemonkey script that runs "window.focus();" on about :blank or about :newtab, whichever you use as your new tab page.

I don't use about :blank or about :newtab, and I have no idea how to write a GM script.

Read posted:

You could install an addon like Custom New Tab which should let you keep the focus on the page as long as you leave the relevant setting unchecked.

I tried Custom New Tab, and that didn't work.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Still not working. Probably because I'm using a file on my local hard drive, and not an actual website?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

² is ALT+0178.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there an extention or userscript that will stop a page from loading embedded YouTube videos? A site for a game I play lets people embed YouTube videos, and it tends to slow Firefox down for a few seconds while it processes them. Frankly, I don't care about the videos, so I'd like to just stop them from loading.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zenostein posted:

YoutubeCenter has options to prevent autoplay/autobuffer for embedded ("external") youtube videos. It's available as an extension and a userscript; I use the userscript one in various browsers and it works fine there. I presume the extension (use the dev one) is kept as up-to-date as the userscript.

Yeah, I've been using that for a long time now, but it doesn't do anything to websites that embed videos. The site has to query YouTube, and get the info for the video, and that's what's slowing it down. I don't think there's anything that can fix or disable that, sadly. I remember that it's one of the reasons I disabled vidoes here, and instead just get links to them.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Actually, I just figured out how to block it with AdBlock Plus' Element Hiding Helper. The site uses an iframe for the videos, so that really helped.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

astral posted:

firefox UI dev quoted as saying "We just can't leave well enough alone!"

So, Mozilla hired former Google employees?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Marvel Heroes thread had someone post that the Win10 Creators thing was crashing the game for them, so yeah, I'm not surprised it's the cause of your problem, too.

Their fix was to delete the gigs of dump files Win10 made in the Steam directory, but I guess you didn't see any in your images directory, so that's not it for you. I hope it's a simple fix.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Decius posted:

The button in the navbar that takes you to the last unread post of a thread, since I tend to have the regular threads I post in open all week long on several computers. Typing in &goto=newpost like a cave man is annoying.

Um... I don't have SALR installed, but I see a button to the left of each thread title that shows how many new posts in a thread, and takes me to the newest unread post when clicked. Isn't that the same thing?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Just realized tweets aren't embedding on the forums. I turned off the tracking protection and disabled all of my addons but it is still happening.

Never mind, now it is working :shrug:

It's a forums thing, related to the hackjob of code* used to make them embed in the first place. It happens on and off in both Firefox and Chrome.

* - By this, I don't mean the person who coded it did a halfass job or anything, but rather that they had to deal with radiums code, making it harder than it should have been.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you not know that graphic design, as a discipline, exists

They gotta do something with that art degree.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

wooger posted:

If this is your personal PC, junk the antivirus and use Windows security essentials.

bronin posted:

yeah, this

Huh. For some reason, I was under the impression that there wasn't a pre-Windows 10 equivilant, and that you'd need ant AV program. I guess I can ditch Avast, and get this. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's all a server end issue, not a user end issue.

From the announcement:

Lowtax posted:

In other news, we're (still) working on re-indexing the search, as there have been, ahem, "difficulties" in my attempt to contact ZDR, so I had to set somebody else up with access to the db, and they're still trying to figure out how the virtual server worms powering our AMAZING CLOUD SERVICES function. I just wanted you all to know that we're aware of the issue and actively working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Geemer posted:

You've completely changed my mind. Please let this come to pass so infinite scroll websites will die in the fires of hell where they belong.

Hey! C'mon, now. Hell is too good for infinite scroll websites.