Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a recommended Firefox plugin that can change all twitter links and embeds to nitter?

That sounds more like a job for one of the userscript managers than a dedicated plugin - something like violentmonkey plus a search for "userscript redirect twitter to nitter" seems like it should work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I haven't noticed the youtube thing myself yet, but my partner happens to be a browser QA guy (for Vivaldi, though), so I quickly talked to him. The obvious question is which video codec youtube is pushing when it fails - they keep changing what they send, and may have started pushing AV1 to more people. Video decoders are exactly the sort of thing that can eat performance and memory, and crash both the browser and drivers if you suddenly start exercising not-quite-solid hardware decoding, so it certainly sounds plausible.

On desktop, you can look at the "stats for nerds" to see the codec used - so if you have some videos that work and some that fail, you could check if they use different codecs?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

endlessmonotony posted:

Not relevant to the problem.

How so? If youtube has e.g. switched some users from VP9 to AV1, and the HW accelerated AV1 decoding they use has issues, that directly causes firefox to eat memory/crash/etc on some videos - but not all of them, since not every video is available in AV1.

I mean, ideally there should be no way for youtube to crash a browser no matter what they send down the wire. That it still happens suggests that it's probably something outside the HTML/JS/CSS path, since those have been thoroughly battle tested. Given that it's youtube, a video decoding problem would make sense?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

JS causing weird performance issues, sure - but it feels like outright crashes have been unusual for years?

Good point about it happening without playing the video, though. I hope and assume they're smart enough to just show a jpeg thumbnail until you actually press play, but they do probably preload all the JS.

E: Knowing Google it's probably WebP, not jpeg. But anyway.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

endlessmonotony posted:

Buggy JS has been causing problems like this constantly for longer than I can accurately recall.

I genuinely don't think I've seen it crash desktop FF for a decade, but I accept that I may just be lucky or unobservant.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The one place I've had it work reliably is from sharepoint - thankfully, since I've recently had to download about a TB of 20GB files by hand from a really unstable share point instance in the US. It actually resumed correctly every time ... except for when it claimed the download was complete but also way too small, but I blame the server for that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DuckDuckGo and a few of the other smaller search engines have some similar tokens - a !g anywhere takes your search to google and !gi to google image search, for instance. Maybe use those instead of inventing your own, in case you ever find yourself using a search engine that has them?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You can set browser.link.open_newwindow to 1 to force all links to open in the same tab (unless you explicitly force it to a new tab)?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saukkis posted:

I suspect you have a Snap-packaged Firefox that is running in sandbox and has limited access outside it.

It looks like "apt install firefox" on debian will get you a plain non-container version, but they do also explain how to install it as a snap and flatpack in the wiki.

As far as I know, flatpack should still allow you to save to any folder, since the save dialog is a "portal" hosted by the outside system that can grant a flatpack access to read or write a file in any directory the user chooses (if the user has permission, ofc). Maybe that interacts in a weird way with NFS mounts, but I can't offhand imagine how/why?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As opposed to google, which was the default solely because they read your mind while installing?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's probably regional, too.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SIGSEGV posted:

A while back some brain genius at mozilla decided people didn't need to have a context menu option to "view image" anymore, because I suppose changing the UI is how they justify their job, and I installed some extension that brought it back, and not long ago it stopped working so I installed another but it puts the view image option in the bottom section and not at the top of the context menu where it belongs, and I'd really like to bring back view image without having to learn a new skill, if I have to learn a new skill I'll be very annoyed, but I'll still do it.

What are you missing that's not provided by the "open image in new tab" that's in there by default?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I currently have 13.0k checksum errors (but zero read or write errors) on each of the disks in my mirrored zfs pool. I find the identical numbers mightily suspicious.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 5, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tamba posted:

That means it's probably not the disks, but your RAM that's broken.

Already been through that. One of four sticks was bad, running with the three remaining appeared to fix everything, but eventually the checksum errors crept back up. Replaced the remaining three with two completely different sticks that passed a ten hour memtest+, and there are still checksum errors.

The current theory is that my sata controller is weird. I was planning to use a separate sata controller to test, but the only things in my junk drawer were two PCI cards, an eSATA-only card, and a Dell PERC 6i that hides the last sector of the disks. I think I may have been using the SATA ports that are shared with the M.2 ports, so as a test I moved to another pair of ports.

But in short

E: Oh I thought this was the NAS thread, sorry.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 7, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have refreshed so many pages trying to scroll back to the top. I think it's still worth it on average, but I can easily see how someone with slightly different reading habits than me would not. Finding a reason to default it off doesn't require constructing any wildly implausible strawmen.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In addition to what mobby said, Mozilla shows limited signs of caring about the Android app. The limited extension support was supposed to get better, but it's been years. There are silly issues like the tab list losing its place for reasons of varying opacity. And some other apps that open a browser window automatically will do weird poo poo, like not recognize that you've done whatever you were asked to do. But it generally works fine.

My partner has written a couple of firefox android extensions (that are not currently supported), and he just got contacted asking if it was OK for mozilla to create new point releases of them, in preparation for them being included when they expand the supported list sometime ... soonish. So there's finally some movement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Which part of it?

e: Looking at it vs Chrome now, they seem near identical? The tab button gives you a thumbnail grid and a + button, and the start page for a new tab shows you different groups of things you may want to visit.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Toolbar at the bottom is absolutely their intended use, and I have to say it makes a lot of sense now that I'm used to it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to make the Android version close/forget tabs when I close the browser?

Use private tabs?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Splinter posted:

It comes with Google's Spotify equivalent (YouTube Music), so if you use that instead of subscribing to another music streaming service the price isn't too bad. But I can't imagine how much YT I'd have to watch to justify paying $14/month just for ad-free, background play and downloads.

On a cost-per-hours-viewed basis it's competitive with Netflix et al, but I'm not sure how I feel about that comparison.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't know how, but somehow you can still access RSS feeds for individual channels (despite the company deliberately breaking subscription RSS feeds).

That way you can decide what happens when someone you're interested in following uploads something; plenty of RSS readers still exist, and there's also options like throwing the RSS feed at flexget and using yt-dlp to download the files automatically.

At a guess, the person that wrote that part of the system no longer works anywhere near it, and nobody else remembers that it exists.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

isndl posted:

Alternatively, it's load-bearing for some other feature and it's easier to leave it in place than rewrite a bunch of code.

Or the synthesis - they fear that it may be but nobody knows anymore.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Atopian posted:

My stern resolution to never have a youtube account looking better every day.

Add that to a bunch of blocker addons and it must at least be tricky for youtube to figure out who I am each time.

Oh that's a commitment to a part - I sporadically look at youtube in a private tab, and boy howdy is that a cesspit compared to what it recommends to me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That sounds very similar to using a Firefox private window to surf?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

everwake posted:

Mozilla actually has a Firefox off shoot called Firefox Focus for mobile that does exactly that.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. It sounds like an anti-feature for daily use, and private mode covers the exceptions ... but I'm sure it's useful for someone?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The android awful app is genuinely good and one of my most used apps - using the web version is indeed way worse.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Atopian posted:

Anyone got a link to an apk for the appstore-challenged?

Just out of curiosity, what are you running it on? Huawei phone or aftermarket firmware on an originally-google phone, or?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

nielsm posted:

Does an extension like this exist?

A way to override DNS for specific names. Say I'm migrating a website to a new server, and I want to verify its function on the new server, but actually reconfiguring DNS would be a service interruption, modifying the site and all dependents to use a different name would be a gigantic task, and editing the computer 'hosts' file requires local administrator which I do not have. In that case, I'd like a way to tell the browser that "actually, foo.contoso.com has IP address 2.3.4.5, regardless of what anyone else might say".
Or does that open too many paths for abuse?

This is a bit of a tangent, but you can configure a local caching DNS server that overrides specific hostnames, e.g. with Bind RPZ. Switching back and forth will still be annoying, though. The easiest may be to configure the DNS server for DNS over HTTPS, since Firefox allows you to manually set a DoH server for DNS - and then install another copy of Firefox (e.g. Beta) and set that one to use the DNS server that messes with the responses.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, Vivaldi's plan is "port the existing Webrequests code forward", but I don't get the impression that they have seriously talked about how much work that will probably be. (They run on a Jón-driven development process. As in whatever Jón von Tetchner thinks is important that week is top priority.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If it helps, I wrote a javascript CSV parser a few weeks back - it takes a string or byte[], and parses each line into an array; returning an array of arrays. That may be the easy part, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That sounds vaguely OK, yeah. Shrinking the organisation a bit, dropping some of the distractions, and merging the rest into an "added stuff" team could be a good idea. I will wait and see what they do with "AI" before having any strong opinions on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wooger posted:

Keeping going with useful non-browser development bullshit at all is the problem.

Yes and no - their most obvious competitors do more than render HTML in tabs. The translation tool is a great example: Chrome integrating Google translate is a useful feature that some people would miss if they swapped browsers. Firefox adding something similar that is also on-device is both a useful answer to that and a unique selling point that fits with their brand.

In this specific case it was also developed with EU funding and in collaboration with some universities, though of course that's an exception.

Is Keep a browser feature in the same way as translation? I don't know; maybe?