Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

In terms of space usage, having tabs on the side is still far and away the better option. Particularly in a world where 90% of people have widescreen monitors.

(I use Tree Style Tab if you care.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Could you guys reccomend me a good screenshot extension? I used to have Screengrab, but it seems like they hosed some things up and it doesn't even work on some sites.

The Imgur extension works pretty well if that's what you want to do. For saving to your HD, FastStone Capture blows out of the water everything else I've tried in both features and speed, but it's payware.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Got tired of loosing my session/s especially when using the wysiwyg editor on my blog... aarrrrgh so frustrating when you've typed a heap out and loose the whole lot and have to restart from scratch.
You absolutely must install Lazarus. It's the kind of extension that I really feel should come standard with the browser

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A very easy way to quickly switch back and forth between different FF versions is to use a portable version, then you can just replace the \App\Firefox\ folder with any installation package you want to try and the PortableApps wrapper will take care of keeping all your profiles and extensions. Backing up your browser also becomes trivial.

It works even with Pale Moon and similar forks, as long as you create a hardlink to palemoon.exe named firefox.exe.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 14, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is it just me or has AutoPager stopped working on SA?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

MachinTrucChose posted:

It takes every single one of these addons to have a fast, safe, and private browsing experience today:

Adblock Plus (general ads)
BetterPrivacy (Flash plugin's cookies)
Ghostery (hundreds of invisible trackers)
NoScript (safety)
ShareMeNot (social media trackers such as +1 and Like)

I would add RequestPolicy (cross-site requests) in there.

It arguably goes against the "fast" requirement since you'll have to whitelist new domains pretty much on every other site you visit (though pages will load noticeably faster when they don't have to wait for shittysocialmedia.com to answer), but as far as "safe" goes it's brutally powerful. It doesn't rely on a blacklisting service, meaning it works well at catching anything that slips by ABP/Ghostery/ShareMeNot, and for that matter makes them nearly redundant.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Pale Moon is also available in x64.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

I found Pale Moon's x64 builds to be less reliable than official Firefox 32 bit or Waterfox 64 bit.
I had the opposite experience, Waterfox crashed on me all the time, but Palemoon has been stable as a rock.

Then again, I switched around version 6 or so.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

I can see you've never used Tab Mix Plus for Firefox. It's probably one of the most popular addons there is, and fixes all tab related gripes.
TMP is cool, but frankly I think that in 2012 anyone who:

(a) uses a widescreen monitor

(b) often juggles between a LOT of tabs

needs to give Tree-style Tabs a try. It's a dramatically more efficient use of screen space, and having your tabs organises in a clear visual hierarchy is invaluable for keeping track of what you're doing. Basically it's the same benefits of that quirky Panorama poo poo introduced in FF4, except you have it all the time while still browsing.

Example:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AutoPager, QuickTranslator, Lazarus Form Recovery are three excellent addons I haven't seen mentioned, they each do pretty much what they say (too lazy to link them, sorry, just right click Google them).

Security nerds will also love RequestPolicy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If the poster above is correct, there is a nice gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled option in about:config you can toggle.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

How can I force Firefox to keep history for a long time? Now it's only keeping pages in history back to November 2011, I want it to keep history for at least a year.
Try about :config and change browser.history_expire_days

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

^^^^^ Good to know, thanks!

Huh. I still have a big "Older than 6 months" history folder, but my profile dates back to at least FF 4 so I guess that could be why.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kapinga posted:

Except instead of reloading the page for each and every subdomain
When you open the NoScript menu, you can click on multiple domains before closing it, so you only need one reload. Maybe you got confused with RequestPolicy, which unfortunately doesn't work that way.

Anyway, agree that it absolutely shouldn't get anywhere the default Firefox package.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I'm as puzzled as you are. If it might help, dragging the thumbpic to the tab bar is quite a bit faster for me than right click -> View image (though I use tree-style tabs so I have a huge space to the left to drag it to).

Also, instead of keeping Ctrl pressed, you can just middle click on View image to open it in a new tab.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone else experience a slew of problems with the Gizmodo/Lifehacker/Gawker et al series of blogs?
Yes, they're a cancerous shitpile of incompetence and sensationalism occasionally interspersed with outright hypocrisy and dishonesty.

...oh wait, you meant the layout? :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is there some option if I'm interested in keyboard-only browsing but don't want to deal with Vimperator's archaisms? Basically I'm fine with the existing shortcuts for almost anything, I would just like a keyboard-based way of clicking links, which is pretty much the only thing I still use a mouse for.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I think you need to type the specific shortcut for the awesomebar to remember it. It's not a simple string search, because for me 'for' does nothing since I open SA by typing 'u' (initially I typed 'usercp', then as the pattern established itself it needed fewer letters).

So try repeating [ Ctrl-L -> type 'forums.someth' etc. until the desired address appears -> press down, then enter -> Ctrl-W ] and it should take fewer and fewer letters to make SA appear on top.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

wooger posted:

This is what the tab key's for damnit. No need to touch the arrows.

Godfuckingdamnit, how did I not know that?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Have you tried running a separate development profile in a separate Firefox instance? It at least isolates Firebug.

Even better, use a portable Firefox and run that one as completely vanilla + Firebug. Minimises the chance that any other addon, custom config option, or whatever is causing trouble.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Speaking of YouTube, for several months now I've had this issue where it chokes for about 1/2 second every ~10 seconds of playtime, regardless of resolution, full-screen status, embedded status etc. Watching YouTube on Chromium works fine, so it's something with my Firefox. Does that symptom ring a bell with anyone?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

I might as well compare it to the other browsers I have on this machine. In my use, from fastest/most responsive to slowest/least responsive; it's Waterfox > Firefox > IE9 > Opera > Chrome.
I am pretty incredulous that Chrome would feel less responsive to you than every other browser, including multiple *foxes. That benchmark seems to agree with me on that, too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is there a way through about:config or some other fuckery to disable select shortcuts? Hitting the Shift key when I press Ctrl-W (thus closing the whole window instead of just the tab) happens a little too often for my liking.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Only Shallow posted:

I just updated to Firefox 15 (OS X) and can't figure out how to disable the new rounded Chrome-style tabs. They don't play well with TreeStyleTabs.

I didn't see anything obvious in about :config and found nothing useful on Google.

I'm not seeing what's wrong in that picture? It looks fine to me.

For what it's worth I also have Tree-Style tabs with FF15, although on Windows, and the tab area looks just like it did before:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law
I suppose they would be equal if you only had any taskbar/dock on the sides of your screen instead of bottom but nobody does that.
Why, apparently "nobody" is my second name!

:v:

(yes, I get that you meant "nobody but übernerds". Though really, that ought to have become the default taskbar style since widescreen monitors became the standard)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Misogynist posted:

My favorite part is how you use the left 1/6 of your screen to display a calendar that doesn't have a single event on it
Oh dear. You'll be shocked to learn that I have no critical need to know the current wind direction and atmospheric pressure either.

(Serious answer: my uni has an integrated timetable service on the student homepage, so I got rid of the Memos module and use the desktop calendar just as a "what day of the week is the 24th?" tool.)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Side tabs are only acceptable if you also jam the navigation buttons and address bar into the Title Bar. I want ALL my vertical space.
(edit) like so:

Wait, how did you do that and what FF version are you on? I'm on 16 and the best I can do via Customize... is to get the buttons and bars directly under the Firefox button.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

Can Firefox have multiple extension/tab styles on multiple windows?

I have two monitors, one on a widescreen monitor and one tallscreen. The widescreen monitor would be good for having tabs down the side of the screen, but obviously on the tall monitor that would make things cluttered - so having one window with side tabs and another with top tabs would be pretty handy.
Yeah, just install Tree-Style Tabs and in the window on the tallscreen drag the tab bar back on top; the tabs in the widescreen window will remain on the side.

You'll have to drag it back everytime you close and reopen Firefox, though, since only one position is remembered in the settings.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

This is my Rapid Search bookmark for wikipedia:

Until a while ago, if I typed "wiki John Smith", I would be unerringly get redirected to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smith . However, since a few months ago, sometimes I instead get sent to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John+Smith , which unsurprisingly is a Wikipedia error page, and I have to change the sign(s) manually then reload. I never figured out any particular pattern in which this error presented itself.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I never perceived any difference with various 64-bit builds of FF over 32-bit ones. I did use Palemoon for a time, but only because it removed some FF features I didn't like. (Then it removed some newer features I did like so I switched back to FF.)

For your memory issues, maybe you could find an addon to put tabs to "sleep" (cached) after a certain amount of unused time? I'm sure I had that feature at some point, I think it was in Tab Mix Plus but I'm not sure.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

This is a very long shot, but you know how SALR lets you tag goons with a "colouring/note" between their username and avatar, so you can remember who's a cool guy, who constantly argues in bad faith, who's a dogfucker, etc.?

I just ran into an exceedingly stupid article on a fairly major newspaper, and I thought it would be cool if there were something similar, except that recognised names from any webpage. So I could select the author's name, right click, and add something like "a complete idiot", or a choice quote from the article, and if I ran into that journalist at a later point I would know not to bother. E.g. "George W. Bush" would get replaced by "George W. Bush [They misunderestimated me]" or whatever.

I looked into text-replacement extensions, but they all involve going into a menu to insert both string entries, since they're likely meant for censoring bad words and whatnot. So, does anyone know of an extension that lets you set up text replacements on the fly, right click -> type replacement text?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't suppose there's any magic trick to make Firefox stop being such a CPU/resource hogger when it's loading a new page? It makes my music player skip and scratch every time (any music player), in extreme cases even semi-freezing the mouse cursor. I can perform intensive tasks in Photoshop or Mathematica and nothing like that happens.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a basic vertical tabs extension? I loved how Chrome handles this, and the few I've tried on Firefox aren't quite what I'm looking for. I do not want tab trees or groups.
Just use Tree-Style Tabs, turning off trees is trivial: you go into Options -> New Tabs and set everything to open as "an independent tab".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What is the best anti-tracking cookie addon? Beef Taco, Ghostery's cookie protection, or something else?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Huh. I'm actually already using RequestPolicy, but since Ghostery is still giving me regular "Adcrapsite blocked" notifications I was assuming RP only handled content embedded in the page itself.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dominoes posted:

Is there a plugin to hide Yahoo Answers from search results?

Assuming you use Google and have an account, you can just block it here https://www.google.com/reviews/t

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Any way to make it so that when I open a link in a new tab (middle-click / ctrl-click), the new tab inherits the parent tab's history?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

The only one that promises it and doesn't have terrible reviews is Tab Utilities, where it's merely an afterthought. But that seems like it would conflict with TabMixPlus, which I use, so I'm not going to test it.
Thanks! That did the trick, and it doesn't seem to conflict with Tree-Style Tabs or FabTabs, either.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I will use PDF X-Change Viewer until the end times come. It's super fast, well-designed, and absurdly feature-rich (OCR? Importing/exporting comments as separate files? Area measuring tool?). And if you want minimalism, just press F11 to hide the UI.

I know I just sounded like an ad, but it's the kind of program I love so much I seriously checked to see if I could buy a premium version just to throw them some money (I could, for $40, but it was only for commercial use with no extra features so ehhh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

cremnob posted:

Tried that but it still loads slow, it's probably something else.
At a quick test some script from sbnation.com seems to be the culprit. If you don't want to install NoScript/RequestPolicy just block that site in a firewall or something.