Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toast Museum posted:

• Chrome View - Creates an "open this page in Chrome" context menu item.
  • Imgur Uploader - "upload image," "upload screenshot," and "upload partial screenshot" context menu items
  • Save Image in Folder - creates a context menu item for saving images to specific folders
I think "right click menu" would be a more appropriate name. The context menu should show options relevant to what you right clicked and nothing else. I hate every program or addon that violates this concept with a passion.

Which is why I need Menu Editor.

Here are 6 right click scenarios in my browser:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Biodome posted:

Yeah, but you're missing the search google for "whatever" option.
It's not there, but I'm not missing it :v:

Copying text to the search bar is a tiny bit of mouse movement and one click extra, if it absolutely has to be done with the mouse. I generally just type what I search for in the search bar, because what I'm looking for is not on the page I'm looking at, or the search query needs editing anyway. CTRL+K with typing is faster most of the times, it doesn't require the dexterity needed to select the exact text that may or may not be part of (the descriptive label of) a link you don't intend to click, be at the beginning of invisible but illogically ordered page layout elements etc. And it's one single procedure for every search, so it's an easy habit.

Anyway, the addon allows you to enable or disable and order all available options, so if you want a Search Google option, you can certainly have it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

So, how long before someone intentionally makes an exact replica of the New York skyline with this? Bonus points if it's a somewhat working website.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Here I was, totally impressed with Firefox' completely silent update process during the last year. Turns out, that was because it didn't update at all, despite the settings!

When going to 'About Firefox', it just displayed the running version (6) and a button labeled 'Apply update'. When clicked, Firefox would restart without any noticable effect.

I downloaded the current version (11) and applied the update manually, which worked, but the problem remains. It doesn't check for a new version, just shows the Apply update button, which does nothing but restart Firefox.

I'm not too bothered about this, but if anyone knows what's up with that, that would be cool.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

I'm thinking you have some sort of permissions issue. What version of Windows are you using, and do you have Firefox installed somewhere non-standard?
Windows 7 Home Premium x86. It's in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\, which I'm guessing is standard. The profile is under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\, which is also what I would expect.

I do everything from a non-administrator account with the idea that that is best in case I should ever get hit by malware or something. So when I install or update Firefox manually, it asks me for the Administrator password, which I would give. Don't know if that matters, I would expect Firefox to know how to deal with that and ask me for elevation if needed or report a failure to update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xander77 posted:

All right, nevermind the above. A genius tech support guy decided the best way to handle my sound issues is to reinstall windows. Now I have to go back and re-enable all my favorites (those that I remember, since he didn't bother to warn).

How do I completely turn off the "untrusted connection" warning? I did this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8470294_disable-connection-untrusted-firefox.html

AND corrected my time settings, but neither seems to really help.
:psyduck: Have you considered that the warning, if it persists, might be a genuine, non false positive? And that, as you don't have a backup containing all you wanted to keep and as you need tech support to resolve a sound issue and re-image your pc, you might be a bit out of your depth disabling it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xander77 posted:

It's a warning that comes up when you log into gmail. And youtube. And something awful. Etc. Etc. Etc.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure I want to disable it.

(The rest of the story is really not relevant to this thread)
That makes slightly more sense from your end and less from Firefox' end. That's not supposed to happen.

The backup thing and (vague) impression of general computer competence was relevant if you were insisting on using a single malware infested site. Not the case, so, indeed, not relevant now.

So, yeah, what Prize Loser said.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a way, preferably an extension, to block images/adds based on the url they link to when clicked?

The name of the image is something like http://www.goodsite.com/stringofnumbers.jpg. Mousing over it shows a link to http://www.badsite.com/whatever. I want to block images that link to "badsite", but I don't want to block "goodsite".

Adblock Plus doesn't work since it only looks at the name of the image, not where it links to I guess.

Any ideas on this, I found the extension BlockSite, which breaks the hyperlink of the picture, but the ads themselves still show up.
If this is on a specific site, you could try Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper and see if you can block the ad based on other criteria, like the name of the div it's in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

back2newbelf posted:

Hey. I run a script which needs Firefox to start and load the requested pages no matter what. Sometimes, though, it asks for Add-on updates and such on startup, and then subsequently doesn't load the pages until the user gives input regarding the updates/whatever. How do I turn those messages off so Firefox does nothing but loading the pages?
I used the Update Notifier extension for the longest time; it allowed for addon updates to be installed silently. Development has stopped however. In the comments this alternative is suggested, but I haven't tried it yet. EDIT Does not actually work for me.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

As long as were talking about upping the paranoia levels, I'll throw in a vote for RequestPolicy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sorry, I meant this bit lands in Firefox 14:

wooger posted:

Also, I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.
Still not clear about what you mean, I can type an url and load it instead of any match in my history just fine by pressing enter after typing. That has been default behaviour forever. That's why Schizophrenic Orb needs an addon to do it differently.

Is something going to change about that in FF14 or something?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They're sticking in inline autocomplete for URLs, which is what I thought was meant. Sorry.
Oh, now I see how that's related. I was just worried they'd make entering or editing an url manually more difficult.

So, if I'm seeing this right, that's mostly a cosmetic change then?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

rage2kk2 posted:

This flash poo poo is getting pretty annoying. Sometimes when I'm viewing threads that have embedded videos, Firefox will just suddenly decide to lose focus. After looking into it a little more I realized what was happening.

1. Open thread.
2. Read thread for a few minutes.
3. Open next page of thread (which contains an embedded video)
4. Can't scroll because I lost focus due to FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe starting.

I don't remember having this issue in FF12 at all.
From another thread, regarding recently popping up flash & scroll & garbled display problems: "disable protected flash mode".

I don't know what that means though, just passing it on. :v:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

kapalama posted:

Thanks for these!
While you're at it, take a look at Menu Editor and Personal Menu for stripping the crud out of context menus and the Firefox button menu, since you're such a stickler for a functional interface.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I've talked about this before, but didn't really get a definite answer. Since the subject is updating now, I'll try again.

I was logged on as a normal user when I installed Firefox. It asked me for administrator credentials, so I gave them. It installed in Program Files (as I would expect it to).

I continue using my computer as a normal user. I am not notified of available updates (over a period of several months). When I go to "About Firefox...", it gives me a button to Apply Updates. Clicking this, restarts the browser, but does nothing else.

I know how to work around this. Either log on as administrator and click Apply Updates, or download the installer from the website and run that (so it will ask for administrator credentials again). I think that I can even run that installer without giving those credentials and it will install in my user profile (?), solving the problem once and for all. I'll try that one day, if I can be bothered.

What I don't get is this: Why don't I get notified of available updates? Why doesn't the updater just ask for those credentials again (Other programs, like Skype, do this)? Why don't I even get a notification that updating failed after a manual try? Is this expected behaviour? Is this an edge case scenario, and if so, how? Is there something uncommon or moronic in the way I do all that, that other people don't?

Or is it just probably broken in my specific case?

I hope someone can help make sense of this, because (apparently) I'm not getting it.

EDIT: My settings are to update automatically, to warn when it would disable addons and to use a background service to do it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 11, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

Yes, is UAC disabled on your system? My guess would be that the update service never got installed properly because of a permissions error, so try uninstalling Firefox (leaving the profile), and installing the latest version as Administrator. After that point everything should work as intended.
UAC is enabled and popping up properly with other software.

It's probably worth mentioning that I have the exact same problem with Thunderbird. Forgot about that earlier. It's what made me think I was doing something wrong. They use the same service, probably? That would make sense.

If it matters, I manually updated firefox from a version 5 install to 11 and then to 13 recently, by downloading an installer from the website. Thunderbird went from 3 to 11 to 13. (I was very happy with the "utrasmooth invisible updating process" for a long time before I noticed something was wrong :v:)

I'm gonna try reinstalling tomorrow or something.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

As with most Firefox problems, creating a new profile fixed the issue quicker than trying to track down and resolve the issue.
If the above doesn't work out on its own, I'll try this as well. I'm just weary of having to reconfigure some of my addons.

Thanks both for your suggestions. I'm mostly glad to know that it's likely something with the software, rather than a massive misconception on my part.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Quick question - when I right-click on a tab, there's an option to "pin app as tab", which is handy for Google, for instance, but when I open a new window, it doesn't come with the google tab. Is there a way to make the tabs that I want pinned to stay there permanently, even for a new window?
I've got this going after some experimenting a few months ago, and I think the presence of Tab Mix Plus is why it works for me. I can't for the life of me tell you what the specific relevant options are, though. I don't see a specific 'make app tabs persistent' option anywhere. I think it required me to mess with the Firefox session restore settings as well, but I have things like that currently hidden from my menus with another addon, so it's a bit :effort: to check.

Relevant link: If you're unable to keep your App Tabs after having restarted Firefox, see Troubleshooting Session Restore.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 11, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

In general in Windows, for that to stick through program close/reopen, I'd have to maximize, unmaximize, remaximize. And then it will remember to stay like that. If I don't do that, some programs keep starting up in windowed mode. This has been for me like that since XP. I don't know if it's a bug or a feature or what.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

Is there anyway for me to backup all my Firefox stuff (bookmarks auto-complete passwords and such) to my external hard drive? I'm changing computers and it would be a real hassle to lose all the stuff Firefox knows about me - I checked the Firefox site and googled it but I couldn't seem to find anything that quite answered how/if I can do this.
I think the easiest way is MozBackup.

vvvvv Or that. Allthough if it's more or less a one time thing, I like to prevent making new accounts and giving other people semi-private data if it doesn't increase my comfort by a lot.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 12, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

todesschaf posted:

The door hanger should only happen on pages which have hidden plugins (iirc), so you'll have *some* way to enable the hidden plugins.
I'm running 17 and I never see the doorhanger, just a tiny lego block next to the website's favicon that, when clicked, offers me the same options.

Works just fine for me and I hope that the new versions have some option to return to that behaviour, even if I have to mess about in about :config for that. The doorhanger seems amazingly annoying.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Jippa posted:

I thought I had figured this out but obviously not. Can some one please explain how I can block the "who to follow" section on twitter using adblock please?
Take a look at Element Hiding Helper for AdBlock Plus, which makes things like that easy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

How can I get all my settings, preferences, bookmarks, that sort of thing, from Firefox on my old computer to my new computer? Is that what sync is used for or is that just for mobile devices?
MozBackup should work for this as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You don't need TabMixPlus for duplicating a tab, you can just middle click on the refresh icon (or Alt-D > Alt-Enter, apparently).

There are some extensions made for 'open in new tab with history', but they all seem either not updated since FF3 or broken (ie occasionally pick up the history of a different tab).

The only one that promises it and doesn't have terrible reviews is Tab Utilities, where it's merely an afterthought. But that seems like it would conflict with TabMixPlus, which I use, so I'm not going to test it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

cremnob posted:

Does anyone know why http://www.theverge.com/ loads really slow if Ghostery is enabled? Kinda sucks
Ghostery replaces some social media related scripts with scripts of their own that simulate being there while not actually transmitting (real) data. This is a complicated approach and doesn't automatically work well with all sites. In this case, the script seems to hang.

In Ghostery settings, search for "Google AJAX Search API" and uncheck it, that fixes it for the time being. And maybe notify the makers of Ghostery that The Verge doesn't work properly with that script or just wait for them to update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

cremnob posted:

Tried that but it still loads slow, it's probably something else.
Well, that might be due to additional scripts that Ghostery replaces, but that I block with RequestPolicy and Noscript. I didn't bother to test them all as the page loaded instantly for me after I let the Google API through. :shrug:

I only found out about ajax.googleapis.com in the first place because I have it allowed for another site. The page works fine with the scripts blocked rather than replaced with a fake one.

In any case, the issue is with Ghostery and you should probably take this up with them.

vvvvv :confused: sbnation.com is where it gets its pictures and css, if you block requests to it, you get a text only website. That doesn't seem like a very good solution.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 22, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is (basically) what Firefox does. If DNS doesn't return anything, it'll search using the currently-selected search.
I cannot simply Google firefox.exe using the awesome bar; I end up with "www.firefox.exe" in the bar and a server not found page.

Maybe DNS gives different results for "doesn't qualify as URI" and "does syntactically qualify as URI, but server not found" OR Firefox is parsing poo poo on its own first before it tries DNS. I suspect the latter is the case, otherwise where does the "www." come from but a desparate attempt on Firefox' hand to try to correct for my shortcomings in typing what it assumes is an URI.

Anyway, that's some dumb poo poo and one of the reasons I'm sticking with a separate search bar so far.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Pilsner posted:

Back: Alt+Left arrow
Maybe this is better than Backspace, because that doesn't work if a website like google automatically puts the cursor in a text field. I'll have to try this out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xik posted:

Is it possible to disable the ability for websites to modify the browser right-click context menu?
The Menu Editor addon should help. You can disable and reorder rightclick menu items. I'm not on strictly the last version of Firefox, so see if it works for you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xik posted:

It seems the Firefox addon site is broken at the moment. 404 when trying to install that addon. I will try it later though, but I'm not sure if it will help. It appears to be geared towards rearranging or removing menu items, particularly those added via addons.

Since the MDN and other sites probably add the entries via client javascript, I doubt it would work. I was hoping there would be an option hidden somewhere so I can turn the functionality completely off globally. Whatever feature it is, it's Firefox only since I can go to MDN in Chromium and it doesn't modify the context menu.
Sorry, I misread your post. I'd swear I saw "apparently addons can change this behaviour" instead of sites :(

It's probably not going to help then.

Maybe you can block something with noscript? I'm not seeing the added items on the page you linked, but that's probably because I'm not logged in there or something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xik posted:

I'm not logged in either, I don't have an account. I'm using Firefox 28 if that matters.

Does it really not change the menu when going to a wiki page or anything on MDN? Perhaps Firebug (developer tools) adds it in or something? I'll have to investigate. e: Nope, not Firebug.
If I disable Menu Editor, they show up. Although I don't see them in the regular list of items I can enable or disable.

It must be that the addon sorta disables the rightclick menu entirely and then offers you its own version or something like that, maybe.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can Shift + Right-Click to open the default context menu no matter what.
Unless you're using Menu Editor apparently v:v:v

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have a situation in which I frequently plug in and unplug audio devices (or conjure up some out of thin air with bluetooth) who in turn become the default audio device. I never had a problem with Firefox (and Flash, I guess) following along and immediately switching over to whatever output was preferred at each moment.

I recently upgraded to 27 (from 23) and it seems to require a restart of the browser to detect that the list of audio devices has changed. Other programs still behave the way I'd expect.

I guess what I'm asking is if someone with a usb audio interface or usb headset can confirm that this is now how Firefox 27 is expected to handle these things, or if it's some bizarre problem on my end.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

I have a similar issue with the 3.5mm front panel jack on my computer. File a bug?
It's sort of there already, I think. Except that it's not just HTML5 audio.

I dunno, I looked into the process of filing it as a new bug or adding some information to the one linked above and it's a little involved. I need an account for which I need to create a new email alias because they're going to make it public. That's already more of a headache than I need right now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Riso posted:

The curved tabs look like poo poo.

On a stupid low resolution screen it takes away too much of the useful width for displaying page titles when you've got a couple of tabs open. Wouldn't mind the look as much on a better screen.

That, and the fact that they made some things monobloc or immovable through toolbar customisation is what I hate.

Most of that could be fixed with Classic theme restorer.

But I'm absolutely fine with most of the other changes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I'm a little surprised that it actually changes the density of tabs, because that has generally been considered Sacred. How much does it lose? (I thought that was why the swoop of the tab underhangs the title of the adjacent background tabs.)

Toolbar customization is so hard to support well and make look good. :-/
I don't think it actually changes the density of the tabs, just the amount of text that is displayed on them. I lose the 2 last characters with the curved tabs on. Which in general isn't a drama, but with a lot of tabs open from the same site, it gets just that little bit harder to identify which tab is what.

I think I'm maybe allowing Tab Mix Plus to make the tabs narrower than the default minimum when I have a lot of them open, though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

What is up with panorama, by the way?

There's posts all over last year that it was going to disappear and live on as an addon, but it's still there for me. Did they add it back and did I just skip the updates where they stripped it out temporarily?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Just waiting for an addon to be able to move the hamburger icon.
Classic Theme Restorer offers me the option for the old orange Firefox button, which I don't care for. But a neat side effect of it is that they included the option to move or hide the hamburger thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

But one thing that's driving me up the wall is that the empty space to the right of your tabs now seems to be considered part of the title bar.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Implied Consent posted:

I use the following CSS to disable most (all?) of the annoying animations:
code:
* {
 transition-property: none !important;
}
This interferes with TabMixPlus dynamically adding a close button to the pointed at tab. You still get a button, but it hasn't got an x in it and it's all narrow and suppository-shaped.

I'll deal with it one way or the other; just a heads up.

tonberrytoby posted:

Is there a reasonably easy way to transfer firefox add-ons' settings to a different computer?
MozBackup does nothing but zip up your userprofile folder, but you can sort of select what is copied along. You can then restore the backup to another computer. Low fuss.

e.: Addons are called extensions there for some reason and you might need unknown files too.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fiskiggy posted:

Highlight what text? It's a new tab, there's no address. Do you mean focus the address bar? It should.
You can set a search page or something as the new tab page. I think anything google will steal the cursor, for example.

I don't know, I've got about :blank for that and it focusses the address bar fine.