Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I upgraded from 16 to 17 and it completely broke the scrolling action.

Before Firefox scrolled maybe 1/5 of the page, after the patch it's like 1/50. I need to scroll the gently caress out of my mousewheel to get anywhere. I did absolutely nothing else, just the upgrade. In about:config I have:

mousewheel.withnokey.numlines 16

So it should move the page a lot. Any idea what might cause the problem? I don't want to move back to FF16 unless this is some kind of bug they aren't going to fix until 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Im_Special posted:

It's not a bug with 17 since I don't have what you have, so it's on your end. No clue how to fix something like that in the about :config, but creating a new profile will surly fix it.

I have zero motivation to figure out whatever causes the problem, less to tinker with my profile files. I went back to 16 and will assume it's the fault of the new version for the time being.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

18 is ridiculously fast compared to 17. Earlier browser launch took maybe 10-20s at least, now it starts up pretty much right away with two windows and 220+65 (yeah...) tabs. Also tab switching happens nearly instantly, while before there was a noticeable latency with it. Pages seem to load a lot faster too.

It feels pretty weird, being used to Firefox's inherent slowness for years, then suddendly everything working like a dream. Combined with a new OS (Windows 8) and other software like Office 2013, programs finally feel like they are actually using the resources of a modern computer in attempt to be as fast and smooth as possible.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What is a "slow-scrolling bug"? When FF17 was released my scrolling speed tanked. Some guys advised to change the following values:

mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_x
mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_y

I have them at 200 and scrolling works OK. You can also tweak the speed of scrolling with:

general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS

Maybe adjusting those options would help if the scrolling feels slow?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hogburto posted:

FF18 is clearly faster and Windows maybe faster than many previous iterations, but there's no way I'd say "as possible".

That's why I said "in attempt to be" :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Thanks for that.

Next problem: anyone else having issues with Flash? It's always either crashing or just plain failing to load.

My solution was to uninstall all versions of flash, and just use Chrome for youtube or other streaming video needs. Hoping that the browser extensions didn't suddendly break, keeping them up to date etc. and reading about all the security issues was too much of a hassle. Not worth the convenience to be able to use just one browser.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Many of those tracking thingies can be stopped with Ghostery too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Customizable Shortcuts does the same thing (in fact I would not have been aware of any changes to Escape without your post) and it's a more useful extension in general.

I have escape bound to stop with Customizable Shortcuts, but it doesn't stop gifs repeating in ff20.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Klyith posted:

Escape no longer stops animated gifs (or forces network connections closed on the active tab). WONTFIX

Since browsing SA with no way to stop gifs can be a giant pain, here's the workaround to go exactly back to the old behavior:
1. Add SuperStop for a hotkey-based full stop, by default bound to shift+esc (a terrible bind because that's also the windows minimize hotkey)
2. Use Customizable Shortcuts to rebind the lovely new stop to some other key and SuperStop to plain escape.

Thanks, SuperStop was what I needed to make Firefox work again as intended. Whoever got this extra lovely idea idea to disable functionality which was perfectly working and not in need of a change, needs that WONTFIX tag stuffed should I say where...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been trying to get more vertical space, moved my taskbar to left side and now tried disabling Menu Bar in Firefox 21.0.

I'm running 64bit Win8 Pro with 13.4 Catalyst drivers. The Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons are displayed as a solid black box without the menu bar, and if I try to click them nothing happens.

Switching between my theme and default theme didn't help with the issue.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

xamphear posted:

Video playback has gotten so bad for me in Firefox that I've started using a second browser (Chrome or the new webkit Opera) to watch videos while using FF for my general browsing needs. I'm running a nightly build and have a bunch of extensions so I don't even know who to blame or why and I don't really care. Videos in a second window works better for me in the end, so why not do them in a separate browser rather than just a second window of my primary browser.

I'm doing that too. Uninstalled flash ages ago, and been using Chrome since to watch videos. Nowdays my Firefox freezes completely for a minute or two if there's a video on a webpage.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

22 released. Is there some way to disable:

quote:

Windows: Firefox now follows display scaling options to render text larger on high-res displays

Now everything is big as gently caress, it scales everything including pages and images too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That's something I would like to know too: how to make ff22 look _exactly_ the same as 21? Same font, icon and image sizes everywhere, ui & webpages. Currently using 21 since the new, broken system is completely awful.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

jink posted:

That is an excellent suggestion. A great way to migrate from deprecated browser settings to the add-on replacements.

This would have been especially useful with the DPI clusterfuck.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Personally I use Evernote. Desktop client, clients for various devices, www interface etc. all available 8)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've never found use for search boxes, but that's me coming from Opera where you had keyword searches within address bar. Thankfully Firefox supports keyword searches too so the only thing I had to do was removing the search box when I started using Firefox :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Try instantfox too, it's an addon which does the same, and comes with some keywords already configured.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd be pissed if I had been using ff since 1.5 and since the fast release cycle everything has been going steadily downhill. Less features and more issues each version.

When you compare that to Chrome: has worked always the same. No changes in ui and no attempts to annoy the crap out of users. No wonder people keep using and moving to chrome and ie since at least you get some stability and familiarity with those browsers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The newest exciting feature in the world's best browser is a(i)ds: http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/02/firefox-to-start-putting-new-ads-in-new-places/

Can't wait to experience this brave and interesting new venture. About time Mozilla started to monetize their products better.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Firefox dicked around with font & page scaling at some point. As a result everything looked smaller for me, and I couldn't make everything the same as earlier.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use Stylish and that is what everyone else uses too I suppose.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

IE and Chrome should probably be swapped in that graph. Here are a few alternatives, probably more realistic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Summary_table

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For me find stopped working. I have no search addons, and ctrl+f does nothing. Find from menu doesn’t work either.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Im_Special posted:

You could always try out AdMuncher https://www.admuncher.com/

NOTE: I'm not a shill, I've never used this, I only saw a ghacks article about it once and went "oh neat".

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/19/free-version-of-ad-blocking-program-admuncher-now-available/

I've used that for 10+ years. Works still well enough with all browsers I use, so I haven't botheres to switch to something else.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I fixed it by changing everything back to Arial.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I've "always" used Chrome to watch youtube since firefox + flash has always been garbage. Now I installed Firefox 37 and I got the impression youtube should work with HTML5 videos. I go to the youtube.com/html5 and it shows everything except "MSE & WebM VP9" working. When I try to play any video, I just get a black box with a spinning circle of dots. In Chrome the video starts to play immediately.

I have a GTX 970 with newest drivers and HW acceleration on in Firefox. I guess the videos are supposed to work finally... except they don't?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Riso posted:

I refuse to use unstable buggy poo poo beta drivers on principle and I expect devs to only test on WHQL because everything else is a waste of time and resouces.

Nvidia has pushed out like 8 WHQL drivers this year. It'just AMD being :amd: with their drivers.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Not having Flash or Java, and meticulously filtering everything with uBlock and uMatrix has sped up the browser notcieably. I once tried an extension which unloads idle tabs, but it didn't work too well. Now I tried UnloadTab again and it seems to work fine. Now even FF's memory usage is under control *happy camper*

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress. The only hope left is Vivaldi then, since it at least supports vertical tab bars.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have many email addresses and it's PITA to check them separately. Thunderbird combines them all in one well working application. Why wouldn't you use it?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

If anyone else hates the "search for blah on Google" in the awesome bar, about :config and set browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false. God help me if I ever somehow end up with a vanilla install of Firefox again because it feels like I've had to make about 20+ tweaks just to remove all of the annoying poo poo they've added over the years.

I wondered why my search suggestions broke completely with firefox 43. Seems this was the culprit, disabling the unifiedcomplete whatever fixed the issue. It was really stupid to type complete urls just like in the 90's.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Browser stopped displaying images from http sources if site is https. Some sites can't be used without https so I see tons of dead images in pages. Browser had a feature (some kind of shield icon in address bar) to fix the issue but the devs removed it apparently.

Is there some addon or setting to fix the problem? Security is not a concern, I just want the sites to work like usual. They work with Chrome and other browsers. Thanks in advance!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So how I can figure out if e10s is on or off in my browser? And does the browser report if some addons don't work or what.. I don't really get this thing :downs:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Geemer posted:

Go to about :support and then look at the line that says Multiprocess Windows. For me it says 0/2 (disabled) but no information on why it is disabled or not.

Thanks. Seems I succeeded in trying to enable it, but it didn't work out: 0/2 (Enabled by user)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well I force-enabled e10s with some toggle and now it says it's enabled. Thing seem to work fine.. so far. And the browser feels more responsive. Perhaps I'll run into problems later!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Still on e10s and no apparent problems with anything so far. Even the PYF gif thread works smoothly with 230 tabs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This browser has become a joke. No wonder the user base just keeps on shrinking. At this speed Firefox will lay next to Opera in the same grave.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Firefox was pretty smooth before, but for some reason the update destroyed performance. No idea what might be causing it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks for reminding it still existed. High time to uninstall it from my phone, I haven't used it in ages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I moved to Vivaldi like a month ago and haven't bothered to fire up Firefox after that. Vivaldi doesn't supposedly track you as much as chrome, but supports the same add-ons. Has built-in tree style tabs and all that, and it feels a lot faster, especially the ui. I understand FF is fast without addons, but unlike Vivaldi, FF is also terrible without addons.

Edit: Vivaldi's updater works too. It gives a pop-up when update is available and asks the admin password when installing the update. It just works.

Firefox updater doesn't work. I only noticed updates were available when the thread title changed, and I had to manually download the builds off ftp.mozilla.org

Once I got the update notifications to work, but the updater always failed to download and install the updates.. it was a mystery. I'm glad I got off the sinking ship called Firefox.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 6, 2017