Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

pipes! posted:

I wonder if we could all endorse the new Mozilla CEO for his Homophobia skills on LinkedIn.

Anyone who's used JavascrIpt already knew Brendan Eich has a very broken idea of equality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Fangs404 posted:

That whole thing is loving stupid. Not believing in gay marriage is stupid, but them firing him over it is even stupider. His personal beliefs wouldn't have interfered with his duties as CEO. He never should've been fired for a personal belief. But whatever, they didn't ask my opinion.

CEOs are supposed to deal with PR debacles, not create them.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

Firefox's autoupdate is even more transparent than Chrome's -- Chrome still generates a UAC prompt in the year of Luigi 2014.

Maybe I'm installed different somehow but I haven't seen a UAC prompt for Chrome updates in years.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

Well I hope Ublock can cut that out soon

My understanding is that it's basically unblockable, because they stream the ad right in the same video stream you were getting the streamer's content from.

It's possible I'm wildly wrong on this because I've basically only got third hand information on it.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 17, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Surely someone will update SALR to support TitanXenforo when it arrives Real Soon Now.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Scroll anchoring was one of the reasons I first made SALR way back when. Everything is so loving infuriating without it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yes, browsers were a mistake.

That behavior, believe it or not, is intentional. It's new as of a few months back, and is explicitly coded in. Previously it did a more traditional video fullscreen behavior, but this new approach is "better".

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

D. Ebdrup posted:

The thing is, what's stopping it from being used elsewhere to trap users in seemingly-infinitely-recursing websites, or to MITM stuff?
It's quite trivial to design something that looks like a browser, presumably, and there are plenty of people who wouldn't look twice if the browser only changed slightly.

Nothing, really. Fullscreen browser windows can't trap the Esc key (it always removes the page from fullscreen mode), same with the F11 key, and putting the mouse pointer near the top center of the screen will cause a prompt to slide down telling the user how to exit fullscreen mode, but other than that an unscrupulous developer could just go hog wild with it.

But this isn't exactly new functionality. This is all 10+ years old.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Splinter posted:

In 2017 they made > $500 million on their search deals IIRC.

That's probably why their search deal contract with Google hasn't been renewed. Firefox used to have market share worth multi-million dollar deals. They don't anymore, and Google's not going to sign onto a new contract at the premium price that a contract that was negotiated in better days for Firefox had.

The next year or two are going to be very unkind to Mozilla. Their consequences of their strategy of letting designers run wild and constantly chase away users, and giving up all their differentiating factors in the marketplace are going to come home to roost. The money they bring in is going to start reflecting their vanishing userbase.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 12, 2020

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

I use Edge for Netflix only, since Netflix doesn't stream high quality through Firefox. The little new tab page with your favorite bookmarks will occasionally insert links for Microsoft's "partners," which is advertising I don't think you can turn off. I'm a bit reactionary, but that's a dealbreaker all on its own.

Seconding that I've never seen this. Make sure you set your New Tab layout to custom and turn content off. And even then if it's that much of a dealbreaker, it's easy enough to install an extension that replaces the New Tab page with something else to your liking.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
That script could also use a change to override the `play` method to prevent videos from being kicked off by other scripts on the page after you've ostensibly tried to stop them.

I created this script a couple years back to stop videos from playing on CNN.com that works by swapping out the `play` method with one that creates and shows a prompt to allow me to manually decide whether I want to let videos play or not. That same technique could be extracted out and made more generalized for videos on any site.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Firefox successfully innoculated themselves against a big enshittification by repeatedly microdosing minor enshittifications over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is the same series of three complaints that people parrot it over and over again about Brave. That the CEO was a right-wing guy, that they did some ad injection experiments like a decade ago, and affiliate links half a decade ago. The fact is the most recent stuff that anyone can point to that Brave itself did is half a decade ago should really raise some flags that complaints about it are exaggerated.

While the CEO is kind of a jackass in his politics. As far as I know nothing about that has ever worked its way into the company, it's just his personal beliefs. If you're going to boycott a company because some C-suite guy is a right-wing douchebag then you're not going to be able to do business with any company in America.

It embraced and continues to push cryptocurrency as recently as last year. That's plenty reason enough to avoid it.