Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

WattsvilleBlues posted:

During random browsing, I find it does seem to use less memory on x64 Windows 7.

Is this version the one to finally have an x64 build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mak0rz posted:

It's bothering me because we don't have administrative access on the lab computer and it UAC keeps asking us to update :argh:

Whoever set up your lab is dumb and didn't turn off auto-update checking for the lab environment.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Majorgeeks.com has offline installers (that don't need to download anything else/delete themselves on install) for Flash.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FF8 is final.

Cue obligatory 'Firefox's version numbers recently are loving retarded' comment.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope Firefox finally goes x64 sometime in the future, as Waterfox got updated with a new taskbar icon that looks like rear end and rapes my eyes every time I see it in a new open window.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Toast Museum posted:

In the meantime, you could replace the new icon with the old one, or with something else entirely.

Wouldn't changing the program icon within taskbar windows (not shortcuts to it) require a bit of code tinkering within the program file itself?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Is v8 the one that has an x64 version or what?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Use the PasswordExporter extension to backup (and later import) your saved passwords to a separate document, just like you can backup your bookmarks to an .html file, then just rebuild your profile from scratch.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Whatever FINALLY gets them to make loving x64 builds a priority is fine by me. That poo poo is like perpetually 3-4 versions in the future, even when they started rolling out their retarded quicker version numbers.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
v9 is out today.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Well each big first number in version numbers does cost 100 million so

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Knowing how to import and export bookmarks is pretty easy, and importing and exporting saved passwords is easy with the PasswordExporter plug-in.

I don't see what is the big deal for re-doing profiles on a regular (4 or 6 month) basis.

I guess most people just don't know how, and are just still sporting the same upgraded profile since like Firefox 3.0

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Apparently Ghostery is telling me that it doesn't like working with BeefTaco, and can cause lock ups.

That may explain why very rarely my FF would crash on shut down.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought I'd like to mention that there is an option in about:config to turn off the context menu item of "inspect this element" and such, for those of you that never need to use any of that stuff.

I had a user turn it on earlier today and freaked the gently caress out about it since they primarily use a web-based application for most of their day to day activities. They totally thought they had malware.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have Firefox as a base install, and Waterfox as my primary install. I keep FF around just incase they ever freaking finally push an x64 version.

I upgraded to FF13, but had Waterfox still on 12. All of my addons vanished, with only HTTPS-Everywhere and SALR being left. Just a warning.

Edit - profile still had all of my addons' settings, I just had to manually reinstall them.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 7, 2012

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Mozilla is stopping development on Thunderbird past next version. It will just be security patches from then on.

I know it is not really Firefox related, but just a heads up.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thunderbird has seemed pretty done for the last year or more, and I am happy with it. I use it daily, and it definitely has everything I need.

Unrelated: Ex-Mozilla employee claims "everybody hates Firefox updates"; Mozilla has handled the rapid release process poorly, and that by pushing a "never-ending stream of updates on people who didn't want them" people have been driven to Chrome with its simpler, no-fuss update process.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The vast majority of users are lazy and ignorant. Most people are scared of any pop-up that occurs on their screen, thinking it is a VIRUS! So a monthly Firefox update most likely gets cancelled the same way people will say no to a Java update on every restart for years at a time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So uh, when is x64 coming out now? I remember in like FF6 people saying "oh the aurora build of FF11 or something has it" but now we're on 14?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
No crash for me on Waterfox 14.

However I noticed that Ghostery allowed something from DoubleClick on it, which is weird. I've never seen Ghostery allow something before. edit - Somehow DoubleClick got taken off of Ghostery's blacklist without me knowing. Weird.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Waterfox 16 is finally out.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

I was just told about this today, thankfully.
As of yesterday, Firefox has been not responding whenever I started it. Reboots, Firefox safe mode, uninstall/reinstall - nothing helped.
Waterfox installed and has worked a treat so far. And the blue icon looks cool.

Waterfox also got rid of the AVG toolbar option on its installer, which I know pissed off a lot of people here and elsewhere.

It looks like the guy maintaining the project is a college kid though, so don't expect as timely updates as normal Firefox. Version 16 was about 2 weeks behind Firefox's 16.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

Something else for Waterfox users: do you have jumplists under Win 7? In Firefox I'd get previous webpages and the "open new window" options in the jumplist, but Waterfox has only ever shown me the "exit" and "unpin" and app name options.

Google tells me to unpin and pin it again but that does nothing.

They killed this in like WF15. I still have those actions from my upgraded 14 and below installs, but they don't work.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

Weird. Guess they thought it was a security flaw or something? Thanks for the info.

For me, the old now-non working items try linking to Firefox instead of Waterfox, which is probably why they were cut.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Firefox has decided to stop support for 64-bit nightly builds.

Good job making bad decisions, Firefox.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Waterfox 17 is still vastly behind schedule apparently, due to a compiler bug.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The only way I can get sync to work properly is if I have my main computer at home push out bookmarks one way to my laptop. If it tries to push updates both ways it gets screwy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Waterfox 17 is not being developed, as it is so far behind schedule that the author moved right over to working on WF18.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FF 18 is out.

Thanks for those who commented that Waterfox and Firefox have no real difference in performance anymore, I have been waiting for Waterfox to update forever, but didn't really realize the performance gain in using it was largely a placebo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If I have java x86 and x64 installed at the same time, will x64 take precedence?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

fivre posted:

Are there any decent cloud bookmarking services nowadays? Google Bookmarks manages to still be terrible, and I don't really care for Firefox sync.

The only way I can get Sync to work fine is to just push the bookmarks one way from a base machine to my laptop. Of course that means I have to manually save book mark files from a flash drive if I want to take them home from the laptop, but hey-- better than using Sync's lovely merging feature.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Homepage / search engine constant changes are most likely malware.

Run a full scan of Malwarebytes and see what it finds. I bet you it will find something.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
18.0.2 is out.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What I tend to do is export my bookmarks to a bookmark.html file, then export my saved passwords via PasswordExporter addon.

Then I just rebuild my profile, and manually re-add my extensions (only use half a dozen or so), and redo my bookmarks and passwords from those exported files.

The benefit of this is that you have a fresh profile, as it seems Firefox likes having a new profile after a year or two of use.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

xamphear posted:

Why not use the automatic method in about :support?

Because to be honest I've been using Firefox for so long they didn't have that poo poo before so I forget it is there. :dog:

Also I was talking about exporting stuff to a new computer, not just rebuilding a profile.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope there is some extension to make the tabs be square-edged.

The chrome-tab looking things just look so weird after using Firefox for a decade now, but I am all in favor of getting rid of the confusing Firefox orange button, especially since I know holding alt for menus will still be there.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does that mean the full screen tablet mode for Win8 is gone in FF28?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tried to give it the benefit of a the doubt, but installed Classic Theme Restorer in less than a minute. It really feels like Google threw a bunch of money at them to make it look as much like Chrome as possible to make people think that is 'how a web browser should look', thus killing off other web browsers that are not Chromeish.

Now if only I could find a way to remove the animations from when you open the bookmark menu or such. It's slight, but it is drat annoying to someone that turns off all animations by default.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Im_Special posted:

Is this what your looking for?

And yeah put me in the camp that tried to like it but had to install Classic Theme Restorer, poo poo's awful.

No, that's the animation of "Oh hey that thing you bookmarked it just got put into the bookmark menu button! Boing!" Which is a terrible Safari type animation.

I mean the like half second downward "menu is SPAWNINGGG!" animation that seems very odd and pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Only thing I like out of this crap is that the new Classic Theme Restorer has some neat new options I never knew of before, like making the address bar smaller vertically or such.