Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regarding the new download flow, may I suggest Open In Browser? It's basically... well, originally it appeared alongside the classic download box and let you override it even if a file would always download. But now, it can substitute for it, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MREBoy posted:

In the last day or so I finally bit the bullet and jumped from FF 88 up to 98. I heard this new Proton UI was not exactly popular, boy howdy is that an understatement and why the hell did the firefox people decide the UI needed to be hosed with so much ?

"if it looks like chrome, maybe chrome users will be comfortable using it"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I honestly like the extra spacing, myself, though it takes some time to get used to. Less work on my eyes.

It's definitely worth trying both and seeing what's for you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Serephina posted:

… webrowsers are often their own ecosystem so that may not apply to everyone. Or anyone.

And with WASM and similar technologies, they’re now full computing environments!
So clearly, the next thing to do is to get Firefox running as a web app inside Firefox :dance:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I dug through Bugzilla a bit. It looks like they have a theory they're trying to test:

quote:

...we suspect that a large portion of our 'unattributed funnel' is the result of other actors downloading a single Firefox installer and re-hosting that for download by other users.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

One of the reasons I use Firefox is so that the web isn't all Chromium engine, so having other browser engines out there is important.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

slidebite posted:

I have, what I think is a cookie issue with FF and I'm hoping there is something simple I am missing.

My bank (CIBC in Canada) always has to do a 2-factor confirmation when I log in with Firefox. Each and every time. It has for some time now, it's not a new thing. I always have "remember this device" checked. It's a bit of a PITA as my email is generally almost instantaneous, but sometimes it's not. It's the only website that reliably forces me to 2F each time.

If I log in with Edge, I do not need to 2-factor each time. I've resorted to using Edge for my banking, which I'd rather not do.

Is there some sort of a simple cookie/privacy setting I'm missing here?

It's possible that Enhanced Tracking Protection is preventing some third-party cookie or another thing like that from activating. Check that (shield icon in the address bar) and see what it's blocking.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

jokes posted:

I feel like there was an extension that just automatically converted all videos to a standard, basic HTML5 player or something. Maybe this was years ago or I saw it in a fever dream, but I sure hate everything about youtube.

Firefox on iOS does it by itself, at least on YT.

Or there’s a pair of iOS Safari extensions called Vinegar and Baking Soda (really), but that’s a little out of scope for the Firefox thread.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sway Grunt posted:

Is there a way to remove this "Search with Google" thing that shows up when you click on (but not type in) the address bar?

Go to about :config and set browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts to false.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ublock Origin doesn't block YouTube ads for me, is there something I need to configure?

I use a separate extension to block YouTube ads.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

Unnecessary, ublock origin does it with the default blocklists.

I also use uBlock Origin and uMatrix together, and I've had some issues where it doesn't completely block YouTube ads. Maybe they're just getting smarter about it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

Apart from the poster seeing YouTube ads?

What benefit are you getting from using two extensions that do 99% the same thing?

uMatrix lets me fine-tune blocking as I need to.

uBlock provides a baseline so I don't have to be fine-tuning all the time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah. I used to use a fork, nuTensor, but that's also archived.

But it still works.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

Look into your heart. You know what is going to happen.
With some minor miracle it'll be possible to fully disable like Pocket.

I miss Reading List (which was in one beta version before Pocket was a thing).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I use Startpage mostly, and switch to DuckDuckGo if I need something very recent.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

DNS over TLS is a much better option, because it maintains the encryption option while not giving some illusion of privacy or security that DoH seems to make people think they get.
Also, Paul Vixie and I happen to agree on something, which is that it should be possible for the admin of the network to have some amount of control over the network they're responsible for - and DoH kills that.

Yeah, my work copy of Firefox has a browser extension installed by admin policy to get around that (the extension lets our antivirus software scan all traffic).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

Or we could just keep using uBlock origin which has worked perfectly for many years on every site including YouTube.

And unlike that extension, the author has proven trustworthy.

I use that extension and it works great. I've also personally inspected the code [as of a year or two ago] and there is no funny business there.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

It might work great, but surely 100% of people interested in blocking ads (everywhere) already have ublock origin installed, which already does the exact same thing perfectly.

I also have uBlock Origin, as well. (I also use nuTensor, which is a fork of uMatrix. Yes, all three apps are running at once. I'm techie.)

I have found that some YouTube ads, and only YouTube ads, slip through uBlock Origin. That's why I installed the YouTube ad blocker extension.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Klyith posted:

Eh, as much as I have issues with Mozilla and their priorities, they're still the 2nd-least-bad people making a browser.

Pretty much. They may be some of the most obstinate and bullheaded devs I've ever had the chance to meet, but they're not Google. And the existence of a browser image that shares no roots with Chrome/Webkit keeps web devs honest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, what's the difference?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zero VGS posted:

Firefox on PC has done this bullshit to me multiple times this month, which has never once happened on Android.

If I have one window with say, 999 tabs (and 5 pinned), and two popup windows with no tabs, and I happen to X out of them in the wrong order, then when I relaunch Firefox the window with 999 tabs (and 5 pinned) won't reappear, and it ALSO won't be in "Recently Closed Tabs" or "Recently Closed Windows". I would love if that didn't happen again and/or my tabs are backed up, but no loving way am I trusting a backup of 999 tabs to some rando extension provider. Any ideas?

This is a Windows-specific behavior. On Mac, closing the last window does not quit the application and you specifically have to use the Quit command.

Instead of using Alt+F4 (which will lead to missing windows as you described), use Ctrl-Shift-Q to quit Firefox and save all windows, instead.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm well thanks for the tips but I'm not super-confident this keeps me from getting buttfucked later. I did go and set "warn before closing multiple tabs" though.

Is there maybe some internal file that Firefox saves to track all your tabs in a window, that I can set to backup to Dropbox or something? I just don't trust the random backup apps, who knows if they phone home to Xi or Putin.

File -> Exit is also warning me that I'm closing multiple tabs, so that's making me nervous if they're always going to return.

Yes, you can backup your firefox profile folder.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Check firefox's vs your phone's network settings? Especially DNS? Maybe it's a DNS over HTTPS issue, if Firefox has brought that to Android.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Klyith posted:

Oh poo poo wait a minute, you can start a new window with profile #2 and the existing session with profile #1 is still going? I did not know that!

(Haven't used multiple profiles myself in forever, but that was not a thing you could do back then.)

Yeah, normally Firefox won't let multiple instances of itself run at once. So it's just a profile lock?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It won't let multiple instances of itself run with the same profile, because that leads unavoidably to race conditions unless there's something that process that muxes things together (which may be what Chromium does, I don't know).

There's a command-line switch called --new-instance that's implicitly called when using the "Open profile in new window" from about :profiles, which itself explicitly calls -P <name>.

Nice!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

In the general preferences, turn the last two checkboxes in this image off.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

astral posted:

They'll figure out server-side ad insertion eventually.

I mean, Twitch already does that and it hasn't stopped people entirely.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have cookies disabled on YouTube and I never get any of these issues. (I don't use the site logged in, either, for obvious reasons.)

I recommend it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yup. People are reporting it goes message => message with timer => warning that you have 3 videos left => player locks itself down.

Apparently, YT also wants like 15-20$ a month for its ad free service. :hmmno:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

nielsm posted:

Does an extension like this exist?

A way to override DNS for specific names. Say I'm migrating a website to a new server, and I want to verify its function on the new server, but actually reconfiguring DNS would be a service interruption, modifying the site and all dependents to use a different name would be a gigantic task, and editing the computer 'hosts' file requires local administrator which I do not have. In that case, I'd like a way to tell the browser that "actually, foo.contoso.com has IP address 2.3.4.5, regardless of what anyone else might say".
Or does that open too many paths for abuse?

A NextDNS account can actually do this, in addition to serving as a de facto ad blocker. They have a free tier that gives 300k queries for month, and there is also a subscription plan for more.

Disclosure: if you click that link and buy a subscription, I get a portion of it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nalin posted:

You mean how the URL is gray except for the domain name? They did that like 3 years ago or more...

It's meant to be a security measure to stop shenanigans like "mybank.com.phishingsite.com" - only "phishingsite.com" would get highlighted.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh.

This might help.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/themes/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/all/#firefox-desktop-esr

This is the ESR version, which gets non-security-related updates at a much slower rate.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Real power users have a background open to Caramelldansen. :smug:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I didn't know about that. That's cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is there any add-on or way on Firefox to see Twitter embeds on these forums on the desktop version? it works fine on mobile, but it's annoying to see the link and have to click it, open up twitter, and see it on there rather than just here

Enhanced Tracking Protection is blocking it. Disable that for SomethingAwful and it will start to appear.