Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Which gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode value was the default under 6.0.2/Windows 7? The OP doesn't say. It seems to be set to -1 under 7.0, which makes the kerning look like poo poo and all linux'y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Bebopaloobop posted:

I changed it to 0 and it looks just like it did in Firefox 6 again.
Thanks, that looks like it. What's with the frequent renderer changes?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Why have they decided to change the start page again? It's uglier and has a new muscle-memory breaking grid with fewer sites in it.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It changed again in a subsequent Aurora release so you see 12 sites. Not sure if it's made it to the Beta channel yet.
That's good to hear (although I'll probably be used to it by the time it hits release). I can see how fast iteration on back-end stuff is a decidedly good thing, but changing UI stuff seemingly willy-nilly is (almost) user hostile. Why can't they let it bake until they are satisfied with it and then let it be?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Normal people won't install an update if there's no perceivable difference.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. :confused:

Firefox silently updates itself on restart, which is a good thing since 33 alone fixed nine security issues. Besides, Mozilla's release notes don't mention anything about changing the new tab page (unless "Search suggestions" is code for "We also randomly changed how the page looks").

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Knormal posted:

about :blank for life.
Yeah, I thought about going back to that but now I really like having the thumbnails available.

Luckily the New Tab Tools extension corrects all of Mozilla's missteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

More uBlock drama. It seems that we may have to switch version again:

quote:

I have exhausted all assumption of good faith I could give, this is currently what I see about the chrisaljoudi/uBlock repo:
  • uBlock is still the product of a whole lot of work by many different contributors
  • Removing authorship information
  • Misrepresentation: uBlock is "made [...] by Chris"
  • To me it does appear most of the work by @chrisaljoudi since taking over has been to market uBlock.
  • @chrisaljoudi actively seeking donations to "make uBlock happens"[8]
  • On December 13th 2014, @chrisaljoudi wrote me, he was interested to "send over [...] < $1,000 to support the work on the Safari version"[9]
Bluntly said, my opinion from what I have observed, and in hindsight, I now believe @chrisaljoudi's primary motivation is to cash in on uBlock. [...] Given all this, I will just keep developing uBlock Origin as if I was working on the original repo.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Maintainership-transfer-of-uBlock%3A-post-mortem