Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I used it because 64-bit flash just seemed to be a little bit more stable than the 32-bit version which as a result made the browser seem to be more responsive. Half the people complaining about it are just doing it because they think 64-bit means it's better or they think that Chrome is 64-bit, which it isn't or in some situations only partially 64-bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just noticed that Mozilla is suggesting installing Flash Player 11.6 Beta along with Aurora. Granted I haven't been to the Aurora download page for a while, but I would take it as a sign that it's strongly recommended. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/flashplayer/

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Scalding Coffee posted:

It uses up more than 150% (almost 2 mil) of memory usage when I open my daily tabs, compared to the last build. I also need to restart the browser to stop the stuttering. I did get rid of several add-ons.

Starting a new profile is such a bitch. Might need an add-on to help.

Unload tab was mentioned a few posts back. I currently have five windows open with around 26 tabs and Aurora is using 476mb. Yeah the tab refreshes if you haven't accessed it in a while but if you have a plugin that you can't do without but leaks memory (Like Flash) it's a good alternative. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unloadtab/?src=api

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
So where did they move the option to clear cache in Aurora? I found the Cookies and history in settings but can't find where Cache was moved.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Space Gopher posted:

It's under "Clear Recent History," which you can get to with ctrl-shift-del or Aurora->History->Clear Recent History. If you select "Advanced" then you can choose to clear cache along with plenty of other stuff.

Thanks. I can't see a reason why they moved it. Guess we'll see with time.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

~Coxy posted:

Maybe Mozilla should stop wasting its money on lovely smartphone OSes and then they could implement H.264 properly.

Although people tend to just say it's a license cost issue, there's more to it than that. For example, even if they did pay there's still restrictions that prevent its use if you build from source or add extensions to Firefox. This especially would have been a pain the rear end for Linux users. In the end they would likely have to compromise similar to how they are now; tie into the capabilities of the hardware/OS

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
If you are running Windows 7/8 and K-lite didn't disable mediafoundation codecs then it should use the h264 and mp3 codecs provided by windows. Since you said you use VLC, why not just uninstall it? As long as the version you are using isn't like from 5 years ago it should uninstall properly.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
This is exactly why I wished that Mozilla stuck with their guns on notifying users that Plugin X can slow performance by 25% or more. They got as far as making a shame list, developers complained and they later caved. It's one of the main reasons why people still think Firefox is slow.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

computer parts posted:

I thought the problem with that was that while the extensions did reduce performance it was measured in amounts so quick that it was barely noticeable.

The thing is, it adds up and even if it's just a couple of seconds difference it makes some people think it's because of bloat. If anything it would start a discussion about how plugins for any platform can drastically affect performance and you should think about what you are running.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Is there any way to stop Firefox from dynamically refreshing when you scroll down a page? It's happened for the past couple of versions but I thought it was due to new mouse software I was using. For those who don't get what I'm saying, lets say you are on Facebook and scrolling down, at some point it will refresh the feed and you will lose track of where you are on the page because there's new content on top and it's pushed everything down more. It's not just Facebook, I've seen it on The Verge, Techcrunch and every page that dynamically refreshes.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

FRINGE posted:

This is a powerful feature and they should have PR'ed it instead of dropping it.

I don't think it would have made a difference in use however since it's only is useful to power users who like to have things like 25 tabs open and such, which most people don't. To the average user, it's kind of like Win+Tab in Vista and 7, nice to show off, but quickly forgotten.

This brings up a dammed if you do/don't situation though. There's still a lot of people who love to call Firefox bloated because of whatever new feature that's added that they don't care for, but they also don't hold back on blasting them for dropping features that no one uses. I do agree that they need to make it more clear that the feature is now a plugin but I still tend to think that still won't quiet the fans of the feature.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
My understanding with that is that they changed it back, along with re-enabling javascript because too many people were enabling it and then complaining that nothing worked.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wasn't Firefox supposed to have some sort of feature where it would tell you if a third party tried to install a search tool or change search preferences?

keyword.url which is what it checked was removed in V23. I believe the default now is that the location bar will use whatever search is listed in the searchbar. Eventually they want you to use keywords to choose different engines. I believe he was talking about the about :home page, which you could change the search by modifying user.js and prefs.js I had a similar problem a year ago, took me forever to figure it out.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

dpbjinc posted:

Too bad they aren't getting AAC support with it. This is just for WebRTC (hence Cisco's involvement), which primarily uses Opus and G.711. It's not meant for YouTube or other video sites, so I doubt there will be an easy way around the patent issues.

This actually brings up something I've wondered about. Mozilla has implemented PDF support in JavaScript and is working on Flash support, what is there to stop them from implementing AAC the same way? A group did this a few years back. (search for aac.js) Keep in mind it's only is for decoding. I just wonder what makes reverse engineering flash and pdf different than reverse engineering a codec.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WastedJoker posted:

4 tabs open and FF 25 is using 700mb of RAM :psyduck: My work pc only has 2 bloody GB of it and this is really hammering my multitasking ability.

What are good tips for minimizing FF memory usage? I only have 2 add-ons - Fire IE and Stylish.

Try unloadtab or suspendtab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unloadtab/ (link to suspend is on the unloadtab page) I haven't really noticed any issues like it suggests could happen, except that you need to keep the tab active if you use flashgot to capture videos from webpages. If the tab sleeps the file sometimes stops downloading.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

FRINGE posted:

Not at all. When you use something day in and day out the clicking is partially worked into muscle memory. Moving things around has a real effect.

Get in line of complaining though.

People complained in the 3.6 days that it looked outdated. They complained in the 4 days that it was too different. They said they wanted something similar to Chrome and now they are complaining that it's Chrome. Someone is not going to like change, and someone is not going to like that it isn't changing.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just make sure you disable bookmark sync in Chrome before you enable Xmarks. Sometimes Chrome will corrupt them ending up in a mass deletion or duplication depending on circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The only people I've heard upset about it was tech people. I think everyone else just kept a Facebook tab open or logged in when their phone went off.