Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Context Search might be the droid you're looking for.

Not sure if it's been posted, but there are a couple of new mockups of what the UI might look like some time in the future:

Windows Vista/7:

Mac:

More mockups here.

Also, the level of nerdrage from people on the interwebs about Firefox version numbering is horrendous, complaining that the recent releases should all be 4.1, 4.2 etc. People don't seem to get it that the new way of doing things gets performance improvements and new features to end users faster. Some folks even want Firefox to go back to the old way of doing things... you know, shipping stuff 5 months late, beta for the better part of a year :ughh:

Are they really planning on a design that only has space for ~3 full-size tabs when maximized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

Go to about :config, and enable browser.showQuitWarning.

Zhentar posted:

On the General tab of the Options form, set 'When Firefox starts:' to 'Show my windows and tabs from last time'.

Even if you have the setting Fangs404 mentioned set to True, if you set Zhentar's option (away from your homepage or a blank page) it just closes without asking, then by default restores your session. Combining Fangs404's suggestion plus setting "When Firefox starts:" to something like "Show my home page" will get you the dialog box asking if you'd like to save your session when you quit.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I'm having a new font rendering problem. I think it cropped up when I upgraded to 18.0, but I haven't used this computer much for a few weeks so it could have been around in some 17.x version.

Gmail:

Twitter:

The comparison is to Chrome. Firefox is first in both images, and Chrome is second, and at 3x scale. The "Gmail" text and the "TWEETS/FOLLOWING/FOLLWERS" text are the biggest problems in these images.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell laptop with Intel graphics. This doesn't seem to be a problem with most sites, or even all text on a problem site. And I haven't noticed any problems in any application outside of Firefox. I at least skimmed the about :config for anything with "font" in it and nothing seemed to suggest hinting/smoothing/subpixel rendering adjustments, so I'm at a loss. It's kind of starting to drive me nuts, though. Is there any way to fine-tune font rendering, or am I going to have to bug report this?

fourwood fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 16, 2013

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

WastedJoker posted:

Exact same issue here.

Was sick of Chrome so switched to firefox today.

Complete fresh install of Firefox 18.01 and fonts look hosed up.

I've turned off hw acceleration too. No effect.

Yeah, I unticked the HW acceleration box, no effect. This is like Chinese water torture. It's such a small effect but after staring at it for so long... :suicide:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Only help I can give is to say that it's set where it ought to be for me on the same video.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Holy mother of god, whoever approved this new click-to-play plugin behavior needs a good slap.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, thanks for this. Much nicer.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Well, I have that happen on YouTube videos sometimes, too, and I don't have any extensions that affect YouTube. And at least turning off AdBlock doesn't seem to help. So :iiam: I guess.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I feel like 99% of my problems with Firefox responsivity are really just the fault of Flash being an rear end in a top hat.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Pilsner posted:

The way FF handles the digging through browsing history means that there's virtually no need to bookmark anything anymore if you can just remember a few letters of the title or URL. Great stuff.

This but times, like, 1000. Firefox's address bar is one of the best things it has going for it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

The Awesomebar is still useful and the Omnibox is still garbage, so, no, not Chrome yet.

Probably just a matter of time now...

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

hooah posted:

Can an update be forced, or do you have to either download the installer or wait for the update?

Pretty sure the standard way to update it (on Windows, at least) is to download the new installer exe from Adobe.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

My Sync hasn't been working on one of my computers for the last ~24-48 hours (that I've noticed). It just says "Sync encountered an error while syncing: Unknown error. Sync will automatically retry this action." Hitting "Sync Now" pops up the same error bar after all of about one second. The extent of my troubleshooting so far has been to logout and log back into my sync account (yeah, I'm using the new sync, not the old one) on this system and that hasn't changed anything. And the Firefox sync troubleshooting page doesn't seem to have anything pertinent. Anyone have any tips to try to figure out what's up?

This is FF 40.0.3 on Win10 Pro. As far as I can tell sync is still working just fine on my Ubuntu 14.04 laptop (same FF version, I'm pretty sure). At least, I haven't been told it can't sync.

Edit: And, at least, refreshing Firefox seems to not have fixed it, either.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2015

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

This shouldn't actually be very surprising.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I dunno, I kinda feel like a lot of people who don't install any extensions are maybe also not likely to be switching browsers basically ever.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Wheany posted:

Has anyone else's Firefox started to delete session cookies for Twitter and Flickr in the last ~month or so?

The only extension I have installed around the same timeframe was lightbeam which afaik activates tracking protection. I have since deactivated (but not uninstalled) the extension.

Twitter and Flickr used to keep me logged in between browser crashes, but don't anymore. With Flickr at least I can just chalk it up to their ongoing shittening of the user experience they have been doing for 3 years now.

Oh and of course I have uBlock origin installed, does it have some setting or blocklist in it that possibly blocks cookies?

Aw poo poo, all of a sudden this is happening to my Twitter now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Making it Rain posted:

Are they're any extensions / addons etc that can auto-magically translate the page to english ?

Something like what Chrome does when visiting a webpage that is in a different language it auto-magically refreshes the page and makes it english translation.

Not quite what you're aiming for, but I have gtranslate that adds an item to the right-click context menu. Said context menu item will also auto-translate highlighted text if you haven't translated the whole page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Probably a false flag operation by the pro-browser-patching left coast elitists.