Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nalin posted:

Ah. The patch gave the browser a 1 second grace period for embeds before it sticks them in the low power mode poo poo. I guess it is possible for a page with a stupid amount of embeds to fail to load them within that second. Using the Userscript/Stylish hack would solve that issue (you can click the ? under my name to find both of them).
Yeah, on most pages I don't notice it at all anymore, it's pretty much only the PYF Tweets thread where I still see it. It's not something that bothers me enough to do a hack to fix, I have enough stuff in my CSS I have to keep on top of already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been trying to use more Firefox to stick it to chrome, but is there any way to get it to prioritize URls I've typed in before? Sometimes it seems to subbornly refuse to suggest URLs I've just been to.

Let's say I type in "amazon.com", hit enter. Then create a new tab, type "amaz" and it still won't auto-fill it. I think Opera and/or Vivaldi would remember that because it's pretty clearly something I want to go to.
I think Firefox prioritizes your URL history based on how often you visit a site rather than how recently you visited it. After using Firefox for a while it should start learning your sites. If you type in "amaz" does it just not suggest anything or is it suggesting things other than amazon.com?

You've probably already found this but you can also control what it pulls from in Settings. I think a lot of the are just the user-friendly toggles for the above about :config settings.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Can you just delete and re-add the search engines? That might be easier than loving with profile shenanigans.

Edit: Actually if it's pulling from non-search engine icons it sounds like your Firefox icon database is corrupted. Try renaming favicons.sqlite in your profile directory to favicons.sqlite.bak or something, this will wipe out all the saved favicons. You'll have to visit the sites again to get them reloaded.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 21, 2022

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

quote:

1) What questions will you answer with this data?

This data will allow us to correlate telemetry IDs with download tokens and Google Analytics IDs. This will allow us to track which installs result from which downloads to determine the answers to questions like, "Why do we see so many installs per day, but not that many downloads per day?"
Hm, what a bizarre mystery, how could people possibly be installing Firefox on computers without downloading the installer from the website on every individual PC? :thunk:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dude just make a backup copy of your profile and start with a fresh one and see if it follows you there. Like 95% of Firefox issues are down to something getting corrupted in a profile and it's usually easier to just copy your settings over to a new profile than try to fix a corrupted one.

Unless you've already done that and I missed it, in which case ignore me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you, like me, hate the idea of the scroll bar disppearing (at least it happens on FreeBSD, so I assume some number of other platforms do it too), you can set the widget.gtk.overlay-scrollbars.enabled OID in about :config to false.

I think I figured out how to fix Firefox restarting, but I haven't tested it yet so that's still an open question if anyone knows.
Thank you!

PirateBob posted:

Just updated FF to the latest (100.0.2) after being on an old version for a couple of years (before the ui changes). How do I make the ui less crap? Less padding etc
Check out https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx for more info on what the above stuff's actually doing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Im_Special posted:

Hey bro, you want more privacy? No, I only want the feeling of privacy!
At least we're still doing better than Chrome on that front, where Google was (and probably still is) still collecting browsing data from its users while in Incognito mode. I at least trust Mozilla to not be doing that, as long as you have telemetry turned off.
https://hothardware.com/news/privacy-lawsuit-google-employees-jokes-chrome-incognito-mode

Also 3rding checking out KDE on the Linux front, it's very customizable and you can probably get it doing a good chunk of what you want by messing around with settings. It's also finally usable on Wayland, for whatever that's worth.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

In my experience Firefox can support resuming downloads, but not as robustly as wget or curl or similar. I don't know what the difference is in how it's requesting the resume, but Firefox resumes seem to work maybe 50% of the time, while wget works nearly every time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is the extension manager icon in the toolbar I can't remove there for everyone, or is stuck there because of something to do with my CSS tweaks? I don't see why I'd need a permanent button for that, that's not a setting I go to a lot.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

zetamind2000 posted:

The extension manager is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false
Thanks, that's better than having to mess with CSS but I don't get why they'd not just make that button customizable like all the others.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

Just updated to 109, it seems to have made certain fonts more bold than they were previously. In particular the font used for our forum posts and the font used for youtube video info/comments.
What OS?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mofabio posted:

Firefox can't seem to download files to my NFS share, but can save them anywhere else. I'm on a debian linux system. Vivaldi can save to em fine, I can write to them fine, permissions are 775, it's just Firefox, on just one computer. Any ideas?
What error does it give?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mozilla acquires review-checking, scammer-spotting service Fakespot for Firefox

quote:

Fakespot will not lose its Chrome, iOS, or Android versions, and Mozilla claims it will be "continuing to enhance the Fakespot experience" for all users. But there will be unique Firefox integrations, making those users "the best equipped to cut through deceptive reviews," Mozilla's Teixeira wrote.

This better stay a plugin. If they start injecting HTML into all Amazon pages to "help us" by using this service that might be the line that makes me jump.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Maigius posted:

Is there any good way to block the Youtube shorts tab on the sidebar or at least stop them from autoplaying if I get in there accidentally via some form of extension? I ran into a bug where the lovely video kept playing in the background even after I changed tabs. I already have inline autoplay and video outplay turned off.
Are you asking about removing the Shorts entry from the Youtube sidebar?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You can also use policies.json to disable things like studies, pocket, telemetry, and DNS over HTTPS.
Note that for some reason, if you reinstall Firefox from the installer file it'll delete this file from the Firefox directory so make sure you keep a copy elsewhere. I don't know if it does the same if you use Firefox's auto-update, but whenever we push a new version at work we have to redeploy this file with it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bertha the Toaster posted:

So I fixed it. At some point, somehow, the site permissions for twitter.com had changed to block the use of cookies. I didn't even know that was a thing, so I've no idea how that happened.
That happened to me too a few months back, and it was the only site in the blocklist so I have no idea how it got there. Really weird.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I'm on KDE and with 115 it made the menu bar the same color as the window title, which I hate. Before I deepdive, does anyone know the CSS to fix this? I tried messing with the --colored-menu-bar options in https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/current/config/color_variables.css but they don't seem to do anything, I'm not sure if they're deprecated or just don't' work on Linux.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nalin posted:

The toolbar doesn't have a background color set. It is inherited from the whole toolbox. If you want to change just the toolbar background color, try something like:
code:
#toolbar-menubar { background-color: var(--toolbar-bgcolor); }
#toolbar-menubar is the whole area above the tabs on a normal UI layout (not sure how it will look with your tabs below the URL setup).
#menubar-items is the same vertically but it stops at the end of the menu bar horizontally.
#main-menubar is boxed just around the menu bar items (less vertical height from the others).

Try different ones to see what you like.
Thanks, turns out #menubar-items is the only one that works under Linux, and I was able to get the menu bar grey, but the problem then became that the text was still white. So I figured out how to set the text to black, but then when I opened a private window and the background color was dark grey black was too hard to see. Tabs had similar issues, inactive tabs had white text on a grey background that was impossible to see. So I guess I'll just bite the bullet and disable tabs on top and live with the color. I'm sure there's other tags to fix it all but I don't want to have to have that complex of css settings just to get text visible.

For anyone else who wants to mess with it, here's the result of tweaking #menubar-items in KDE. Just an ugly squared-off box.

Edit: Welp, never mind. The blue was too distracting so I went searching for a theme, I just switched from the system-matching theme to the "Light" theme and now everything's nice and grey again. A different shade of grey than before, but whatever, close enough.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 7, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any particular reason you're still showing the menu bar?
Menu bars 4 lyfe.

No real reason, just inertia and I'm used to where things are in there, even though I rarely use them.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I thought extensions couldn't add things to context menus since Proton?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There are a few extensions like Undo Closed Tab that might ease the pain.
Ctrl-Shift-T will reopen the last tab, no extension needed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good to know! The extension allows you to right click and select the last 10 or so closed tabs, so it still has use.
I figured it probably did more, but I thought I'd drop the hotkey in the thread anyway since it's one of those ones I use probably 10 times a day. Every once in a while this thread introduces me to some long-present Firefox trick that I've somehow totally missed out on.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ruflux posted:

:confused: I have enhanced tracking protection on and have had it since forever and embedded tweets work just fine ("fine", they're slow garbage and I hate them). I have no clue why people say that combo doesn't work.
I have it "on" in the grand scheme of things but with an exception for forums.somethingawful.com, are you sure you didn't add an exception years ago and just forgot about it?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I didn't realize the browsers had encoding code in them in the first place. That Ars article says there's VP8-encoding websites out there, that's such a weird concept.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah I guess I assumed the webcam or screen-sharing plug-in or whatever were handling the encoding and just passing a stream through the browser to the other end. I never really thought about it though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Looks like Firefox added Nvidia super resolution in mid July.

I just need to figure out how to enable it maybe and I can quit using edge so much.

I've been using edge for YouTube and twitch to make videos look better, but it does make my computer go from silent to kinda loud.
(You can set the stength of enhancement from 1-4 in Nvidia control panel, 1-2 do very little and 3-4 uses a lot more power)

Try it out on a 15 year old The Onion video!
Looks like you just turn gfx.webrender.super-resolution.nvidia to true in about :config. But it's apparently still undocumented so it's probably in beta at best.

Jack Trades posted:

Is that 40xx series only feature?
30xx and 40xx apparently. And I would assume Windows-only since you have to toggle it on in the Nvidia control panel app.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2023/02/28/rtx-video-super-resolution/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Computer viking posted:

Use private tabs?
Private tabs are even worse, if you have a private tab open if adds a notification icon to the top of the screen letting you know you have a private tab open in the background. It's baffling.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

runaway dog posted:

so I'm not really sure where to post this, but for some reason all my google logins keep getting logged out whenever I close the browser, my 3 gmail accounts and youtube specifically, I've tried deleting cookies, turning off all of my add-ons, restarting, reinstalling firefox, even tried edge same deal, the option for deleting cookies on browser close is not checked, managed to get my gmails all stayed logged in like once, then I logged into youtube and they all got booted again and now I'm back to square one, kinda losing my mind here, phone seems unaffected but I'm too scared to log out any of my accounts there.
If it's happening in Edge too and only to Google-associated logins sounds like it's not a Firefox thing but something with your Google account that your PC isn't staying trusted. Do you have Google set to 2FA?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/54490?hl=en

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

It is a browser
This should be Firefox's new slogan.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I use Awesome wm and have set my default text size to 150% because the 'normal' size is extremely small in Awesome. At night, though, I like to up the text size on certain web pages - SA included - to 190% so that they're easier on the eyes. Is there a way for this process to be automated with a script of some kind in Firefox?
Are you looking to have different zoom levels on different sites, or different zoom levels on different sites at different times of day? The first should be sticking by default, if it's not make sure browser.zoom.siteSpecific is true in about :config.

The latter isn't going to be possible with vanilla Firefox, you'd have to look for a plugin.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sites have to identify the username and password field correctly for browsers to know what to autofill in them, the site might not be doing it right. Or in some Chromium way that Firefox doesn't recognize.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't mind Pocket either, as long as there keeps being an about:config setting where I can completely turn it off and forget it even exists.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I didn't realize Firefox's translation was all done clientside, that's very cool.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Stolen from the PYF Headlines thread

Whooping Crabs posted:

Which one of you sickos is this?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I simply read the webpage when I open it then close it when I'm done.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Good lord, Youtube is now forcing autoplay regardless of previous setting and even removed the option to disable it entirely. This sure is yet another addition to the awful experience at that hellsite and make it even worse for no good reason.

Surely someone has come up with some script/filter trick?

astral posted:

Is the video you're watching by chance part of a playlist? They removed the autoplay toggle for that a long time ago, but regular videos are still fine, at least for me.

If not, gotta love a/b testing.
Yeah are you talking autoplay in the sense you open a Youtube page and the video just start playing, or autoplay like it starts playing a new video as soon as the old one finishes?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, the latter. For the past 36 hours or so, random videos which are no part of any playlist that I can see (and don't show anything queued after) are now queuing and autoplaying non-stop what I imagine to be the first video from the suggestions based on what I had just watched. New band video? Autoplay some bullshit after, sometimes related to the band. New science doc thing I had saved to watch later? Autoplay pseudo-science bullshit after. Product review I had just looked up? Autoplay some bullshit after from another reviewer.
I had that randomly turn back on for me too a few months ago, but when I turned it back off in one video it stuck for all. Maybe try clearing all your Youtube cookies, maybe something's stuck? If I open a new private window autoplay's back on by default, but once I turn it off on any video it stays off for that session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

wash bucket posted:

Just one of those things Macs are dumb about. Presumably because they thought dad would get stuck in a true full screen view and not know how to get out.
My mom calls me a few times a year because she accidentally hit F11 and can't remember how to get out, so it's a valid concern.