Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

NihilCredo posted:

In terms of space usage, having tabs on the side is still far and away the better option. Particularly in a world where 90% of people have widescreen monitors.

(I use Tree Style Tab if you care.)
Amen to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Maybe by Firefox 9 they'll have fixed what happens if you View Source giant (40MB) SVGs

Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Uninstall Greasemonkey. Install Scriptish instead.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

trandorian posted:

Because that poo poo still requires you to constantly change something?

You're thinking about the manual about :config setting which was loving awesome until they, as you mention, made it so you have to change it every loving version number.

The add-on handles it all automatically.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Is there an extension or setting I can change to make Firefox use more RAM? I've got 8 gigs in my desktop and 4 in my laptop and I barely use any of it. If I could get FF to use a gig or two, that'd probably be a good start, so any advice you have just let me know!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Briantist posted:

I've been having an issue using firefox over remote desktop sessions ever since the UI changes in version 4.
I have this problem as well. Also, lately the flash plugin has been crashing randomly after I switch from the physical session to an RDP session (or vice versa) without closing and reopening firefox, upon playing a flash video.

I'm 99% sure it could be solved by disabling hardware acceleration in both firefox and flash, but I'm not willing to take the performance hit during my physical sessions, so I just deal with it and kill plugin-container.exe and firefox as necessary.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Microsoft Spy posted:

Have you all filled bugs on this behavior?

You kidding me? Filing bugs on open source projects gives me nightmares.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yep, everything Zhentar said. Hell, I've written and released my own open source projects and I still don't want anything to do with filing bugs. Maybe Mozilla is better at issue 2 than other places, but unfortunately you get smeared with the same bad rep. The reaction you get most places isn't "awesome, look at all these bugs being submitted by people for free, now we can fix them and make our code even better" it's "oh great, another bug report that's probably invalid for a bunch of reasons, should I just close it or attempt to make the submitter cry first?"

Even if I put aside Zhentar's number 2, numbers 1b and 1c are the killers. I search for the problem, maybe I don't use the right keywords, maybe I do, and don't find it. Then I spend 10-15 minutes trying to write it up in excruciating detail so that it doesn't get poo poo on right out of the gate, only to have it closed as a dupe for a bug I wasn't able to find. Yay?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 28, 2011

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It's really amusing how often that comes up in this thread. It's at least once a page.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of Firefox bugs that I want to whine about but will never actually file:

What's up with FF completely purging my cookies database all the time? It seems to happen mostly after I do an update. I look in my Firefox profile folder and I see a 1.5 meg cookies.sqlite.bak file, but there's a new cookies.sqlite file that's empty, and another cookies.sqlite.bak-rebuild file... Also some -shm and -wal files, whatever the hell those are.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Is it okay to be disappointed in Firefox in this thread or will it get me called a troll? I've become increasingly dissatisfied with Firefox over the course of 2011 and have started moving people I know in the direction of Chrome. I only stick with Firefox due to the addons that I can't live without that aren't possible in Chrome (namely tree style tabs).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alereon posted:

It's not trolling if you have reasonable concerns and can discuss them like an adult. If you complain that Firefox sucks at a thing that it is in fact very good at compared to other browsers, people are going to jump on you for being wrong. If you complain that Firefox sucks because of something caused by a modification you installed, then yeah people are going to think you're complaining unreasonably. In fact, if your post contains "Firefox sucks because..." in general terms you're pretty much just whining, as opposed to a post like "I have X problem with Firefox why does this happen and how can I fix it?" There's a lot of people blaming Mozilla when they're running old-rear end drivers with outdated plug-ins and a profile they've been migrating between versions for a year, and that's just not reasonable or constructive.
According to Steam, I have the latest drivers for my Radeon HD-4XXX gen ATI card. I completely blew away my user profile less than a month ago. I recently disabled all of the addons I use and enabled them one at a time to see if any of them stood out as a problem. I disabled all plugins except for the latest version of Flash. I have 8 gigs of RAM and I don't give a poo poo how much of it Firefox uses because most of it is empty at any given point in time anyway. I have a quad core i5 and an SSD.

Now that I have demonstrated my bona fides, my problems with Firefox break down into two categories.

Bugs I run into constantly: Individual tabs locking up the entire browser while large pages load, plugin-container locking up and taking 15-30 seconds to die and restart (which also locks the entire browser), the entire window briefly displaying as solid white when unlocking my computer, the save-file-as dialog taking 30+ seconds to display randomly, and just generally not performing as well as it honestly should.

Lack of faith in the development process: Out of process plugins was almost exactly 2 years ago. What major changes have there been since then? A UI refresh in 4.0 and memory reduction in 7.0 are the only two that come to my mind. The version numbers may be coming faster now, but they aren't bringing with them an increased number of changes per month or year. Now that they've basically given up on electrolysis, what is there to look forward to?

Am I wrong? What am I missing? When people ask me what browser to use, I say "If you don't use any fancy UI addons, Chrome is a better browser than Firefox." Is that demonstrably false? Comparing just the vanilla browsers, what sets Firefox apart anymore? Or is being the most tweakable browser (at the cost of performance) Firefox's raison d'être going forward?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Zhentar posted:

No, it's demonstrably "YMMV". My wife switched from Firefox 3.6 to Chrome because Chrome was so much faster. She switched back to Firefox 7 because she kept having problems with Flash crashing and freezing up the UI for 15-30 seconds in the process, and some general stability issues. She was surprised that Firefox 7 felt more responsive than Chrome, and it resolved the Flash crashes and has been generally more stable.
I must admit, this is the very first time I've heard anyone complain about flash locking the Chrome UI. I thought each tab being in a separate process made that impossible?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Unchecking that hardware accel box in the Flash settings never seems to stick for me. I quit Firefox and the next time I open it, it's back on again.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

It displayed the correct size during downloading.

Has happened to me loads of times, just wound me up enough to post about it today because of what I was downloading.

I have definitely seen FF do this as well. It's super rare because how often to downloads fail these days? But I can say I've seen it display the proper full-size and subsequent percentage while the file was en route, the transfer dies, and it just shows the file as having downloaded. No indication that it failed.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It suppresses that dialog box in the future and automatically does whatever you picked this time. (For all files of the same extension, in this case .mp3)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm interested in deploying Firefox to a sub-set of the users on my network. What sort of solutions exist for me being able to lock down certain settings and features? Centrally managed would be best, but I'd even be fine with a solution that used registry or file settings on each machine (since I could just automate those via a logon script or something).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jippa posted:

- Is there a working British English spell checker?
Are you saying that when you install the en-gb version of Firefox, the spell check doesn't work as expected?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So you want to install the en-US (or some other region) version of Firefox, but also have the en-GB dictionary as an option? Then I think what you need is located here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57431236-92/microsoft-bans-firefox-on-arm-based-windows-mozilla-says/

quote:

Microsoft Deputy General Counsel David Heiner told Mozilla it won't permit other browsers for two reasons, Anderson said:

1. ARM processors, which power virtually all iOS, Android, and Windows Phone smartphones and tablets today, are different from the x86 chips that power PCs. The chips have new requirements for security and power management, and Microsoft is the only one who can meet those needs.

2. Windows RT -- the version of Windows 8 geared for ARM devices -- "isn't Windows anymore."

Cross-post from the Windows 8 thread, since it has relevancy here as well.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Starting sometime about a week ago (I think), ABP has started being really slow with the Nightly builds. Locking the browser UI for a couple seconds when loading a large page. It was fine on older Nightly builds, and when I disable ABP, page loads are fast again.

Is anyone else noticing this?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm running the latest Nightly, and from what I can tell, bookmark keywords take priority over everything.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Toast Museum posted:

If you want to avoid the new tab page entirely, go to about :config and set browser.newtab.url to about :blank.

Not sure about the current release version of Firefox, but the nightlies have a small button in the upper right that hides the thumbnails. Click it and it sets browser.newtabpage.enabled to false and you're basically left with about :blank.

Site preview thumbnails are busted for me too, but since I don't actually want to use the feature, I don't care to look into why.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is anyone finding Aurora 15 extremely slow on Windows 7 x64? Version 14 flew for me; I upgraded to 15 yesterday and rest the profile, and reimported all my extensions, but it's choking at the minute. Something to do with the new add-on memory management maybe?

I have definitely noticed a slowdown over the builds in the last month or so. It's either a regression they'll sort out eventually, or as you suggested, an add-on conflicting with some new feature. I tend to think it's the latter, as if I disable ABP, it starts going really fast again. But I'd rather have the browser lock up occasionally than deal with ads.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

kapalama posted:

I know it's free and it's open source, but seriously why not just fix the security holes and stop changing things around?
Because, by this logic, Firefox 16 would look like this:

And hey, maybe that's what you personally want, but I don't think that goes for most people.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of that, what's the deal with Firefox's announcement that they were going to start supporting h.264 via codecs registered with the OS? Can I turn that on yet?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like they're really paring down their projects so they can focus on what we all know the world needs most right now.

Another mobile OS.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Why don't you just use private browsing mode?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Install Gentoo posted:

code:
Score: 5867
Score: 6873
Which again doesn't seem to be much difference

Going from 6873 to 5867 is a delta of 14.637%. If the Mozilla devs came out tomorrow and said that the next nightly build was going to be 15% faster than the previous, people would be making GBS threads their pants in the street. 15% is a pretty significant difference.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I started browsing the web on a 2400 baud modem. That's sort of my base reference point. I don't mind if a page takes a whole second to load.

But what really knots up my asshairs is when I open up a link in a background tab and I can't even continue working in the currently open tabs because ALL of Firefox locks up and shits itself.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
This is the by far superior place to download Flash updates:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm running TreeStyleTabs and it's working just fine on the latest Aurora 16a2.

Check to make sure you're running the newest version of the extension, and try out a profile wipe for good measure.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bieeardo posted:

Horizontal tabs have been broken since a very late version of Aurora 15. This is thanks to a glitch in the renderer that has been caught, and has been fixed in the 17 nightlies for a month or so now.

Vertical tabs have been running like silk, happily.

Ahh, I see. I don't know anyone running TST in Horizontal mode... Seems to kind of defeat the point.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
To me it makes perfect sense to remove the feature, and leave it to add-on developers to put back in if people want it that badly. It removes code that 99% of Firefox users won't need, while the 1% who do want it can add it back in.

If you can't take the 3 minutes to find and install the TabsOnBottom4EVA extension, then I guess it really didn't matter that much to you, did it?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Pilsner posted:

But you could say that about 100 other minor features, and suddenly the average user will need 10-30 addons to continue to have the functionality they had before.
You say "average user" but I think you mean to say "power user like me."

Average users will use whatever is given to them and likely not even give a poo poo or even stop to notice. Tabs on top? Whatever. On bottom now? Fine. Back on top? Sure thing, boss.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Now that there's support for h.264 (on Windows) is there some trick to getting YouTube to use the html5 player whenever possible? I joined the html5 trial but it didn't seem to have any impact at all. I still get "click to enable flash" when watching a video.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

jeeves posted:

What I tend to do is export my bookmarks to a bookmark.html file, then export my saved passwords via PasswordExporter addon.

Then I just rebuild my profile, and manually re-add my extensions (only use half a dozen or so), and redo my bookmarks and passwords from those exported files.

The benefit of this is that you have a fresh profile, as it seems Firefox likes having a new profile after a year or two of use.

Why not use the automatic method in about :support?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

NihilCredo posted:

What is the best anti-tracking cookie addon? Beef Taco, Ghostery's cookie protection, or something else?

Just disabling 3rd party cookies in the settings will get you almost 90% of the way there. Ghostery does block tracking cookies, yes, but is more about blocking tracking via images/javascript/etc.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

the yeti posted:

Of the vocal switchers, I think the general 'Firefox experience' of it must be your extensions/rebuild your profile/etc wore thin for the majority.

There's also the h.264 support as well as the incredible amount of marketing Google has done positioning Chrome as faster, sleeker, more stable, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elphiem posted:

Need Help.

Whenever I do the first download in a new Firefox session it will freeze up/hang before it downloads. All downloads after that are fine.

I get this due to roaming profiles. Firefox will spend a long time waiting to see if a particular path exists before giving up and asking you to pick another. If I save something to a location that's not there when I next use it, I get the "first save takes forever" lock up issue.