Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

overmind2000 posted:

I know, they should go back to square one and try again
Can you imagine anyone looking at the current browser marketplace and thinking it was a good idea to introduce a new engine from scratch?

"Sure, it's an insane amount of work, and the big players throw up barriers left and right (iOS doesn't allow other browsers, Edge is preinstalled on Win10, Android and Chromebooks come with Chrome preinstalled, Google pushes Chrome hard at anyone who dares visit google.com or youtube in a different browser), but if we play our cards right, we might be able to make no money and have nothing to show for it!"

In theory, this is what Firefox and Mozilla are already positioned to do, but lol. Even with a browser ready to go, they're unable to maintain double digit market share.

Edit: Not that I blame Mozilla entirely for this. Google has spent a lot of money in the last decade creating the exact circumstances that we're seeing now. Their investment in Chrome will pay off nicely. That said, Firefox's performance going to utter poo poo right at the time Chrome was getting popular, and Mozilla kicking the can down the road for YEARS was really bad.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yeah, and it's broken. It doesn't stop youtube or twitch from autoplaying, which both seem like pretty major sites you'd want to test on.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nam Taf posted:

It’s not broken there’s just multiple settings that don’t really make sense. Changing them in fact does bring back the actual options screen toggle, too.

Have a read of both this (including comments) and this and you’ll be able to set it up.

Mine asks for permission and I distinctly remember it asking on YouTube.

Thanks for these links, I'll check them out and make sure my settings are in line.

Edit: Yeah, I was right in line with the best practices laid out there. I still get videos (with sound!) autoplaying on Youtube and Twitch. It's never the initial page I go to, it's after clicking around a bit. It even shows the little "autoplay blocked" icon in the address bar, while the video starts right up and blares out my speakers.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 18, 2019

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Firefox 68 got a new about :addons page, and it includes this at the bottom:

Any ideas how to turn it off? I have "Recommend extensions as you browse" unchecked, and I've tried toggling "extensions.htmlaboutaddons.discover.enabled" which had no effect.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

overmind2000 posted:

Go into about :config and toggle extensions.htmlaboutaddons.recommendations.enabled to false
That's the one, thank you.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

Firefox's new Add-ons Manager sure is looking good nowadays...

EDIT: Relevant

Yeah, it's bad. It took me like 30 seconds to figure out how to disable a single add on the first time. Every change they've made to the add ons page, going back to when the first hid the version number, have been not to my liking.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Dave posted:

That's really not excusable on your end, it's very obvious.

Okay, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
At least they seem to be aware of the feedback:

https://twitter.com/caitmuenster/status/1149086598199312385