Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Hogburto posted:

I made this batch file to help me clean redundant pages out of my Firefox history like redirects, web carts, error pages, search results, and multiple pages of a single thread.
You have to specify what to remove in 2 other files for that to work, otherwise it just compacts your Firefox history files for you without doing that.

So if you last read page 14 of a thread after reading 1-13 it removes 1-13?

..or is that what you have in the .txt file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Delzuma posted:

Clear it out if you are and install avast Microsoft Security Essentials, ad block plus, and superantispyware ASAP.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Toast Museum posted:

Superantispyware over Malwarebytes?

I haven't actually used a dedicated antimalware app in quite a while. MWB is useful for cleaning up infected machines though.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
It's the SH/SC free antivirus choice due to its tight integration into Windows and its habit of not breaking the networking stack.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

pseudorandom name posted:

It is possible that your company site added autocomplete=off to the password element sometime in between when you saved the password and when changed the password.

(Pro tip: if you use Firebug or whatever to delete the autocomplete=off attribute from the password input element, Firefox will save the password when you submit the form.)

Or use this :)

http://cybernetnews.com/tweak-firefoxs-password-saver-without-an-extension/

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

jackpot posted:

I work in firefox all day long, and one thing (the only thing) I really miss from IE is the tiny *chck* sound I get when I click a link. It just makes me happy. Can I have that in firefox (on a Mac, if it matters)?

This looks promising: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/navigational-sounds/

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Alereon posted:

It's been found that Live Bookmarks use far more memory than anyone had previously suspected, and that deleting them makes a pretty substantial difference (and may make an overall performance difference due to SQLite I/O).

I have at least 14, 10 of which I check multiple times per day. This is sad news :(

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Scott808 posted:

WTF is this dashed line thing for and how do I turn it off?

I assume it's related to favicons since I have those off, and that's where they normally go.
It's indeed favicon's missing (I have them for when there isn't a favicon). You can theoretically hide it by editing usercontent.css

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/792988#answer-149877

quote:

I have a few bookmarks in one folder, and if I middle clicked the folder it would open all the bookmarks in separate tabs, but now it doesn't use the first new blank tab in a new window, and I get this:

Before it would only load the 3 tabs with content, and not leave me a blank new tab. If I can get that behavior back that would be pretty nice.
Pretty sure that was the behavior I had in 7 too but I'm not 100% positive on that.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Is that *actually* XP you're running in classic mode? No offense but I'm guessing that's why you're so attached to FF of yesteryear.

You're not alone, mind you, I used to change XP to classic until I got used to the "normal" XP start menu. I'm rather fond of the Vista/7 implementation too. Couldn't imagine doing it in classic.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Ryokurin posted:

Well, as long as you are ok with losing desktop composition support in 7 go ahead, but that's off topic. I figure they will end 3.6 support when 10 is ready, so I wouldn't get too comfortable just yet

Does that mean they lose all the Peek and taskbar preview functions too?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Lowclock posted:

Is there any reason why teevox.com doesn't work for me on modern browsers like Firefox 7+? Is there any way that I can make it work short of keeping multiple browsers installed?

I have no idea what it is I'm looking at, but it works for me in Firefox 8.whatever. Maybe uninstall Flash and delete all remnants and reinstall?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
For something that can automatically install some of the major software apps out there, check out Secunia PSI

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Interestingly enough, I've been having way more issues with Flash around the time that 8 or 9 rolled out.

I'm just kinda riding it out since at least now that Flash is a separate process at least I don't have to deal with all of Firefox dying.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Sprite141 posted:

For flash crashing firefox 7? I'm sorry, but I don't see it. If it was a separate process it should have only crashed that process, not all of firefox.

He means that 25 is greater than 4. You're running 3.6.25, not 3.6.2.5; don't feel too badly about it because originally I made the same disconnect and thought 3.6.25 was older than 3.6.4

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

mobn posted:

No, what I'm saying that if
A)Flash runs in separate process
and
B)The main firefox process is crashing
then
C)It is not flash causing the crash. There is some other issue causing his crashes, because if he has a version with OOP plugins then it is not flash causing his issue.

Well, unless Firefox "crashing" just means it freaks out for a while. I doubt that's the case though, so I stand corrected.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Since we're on a Firefox whine session I figured I'd toss my hat in the ring- Does anyone have this happen to them?

When resuming my laptop from suspend, Firefox greys out and doesn't respond for what feels like forever. It varies between a minute or two all the way up to 5-10 minutes. I don't recall if there's a correlation between number of open tabs -vs- load times because I haven't made an effort to check. If I launch TaskMan I can watch Firefox slowly ramp up its RAM usage and once it stops growing, Firefox starts to work.

Is Firefox doing something heavy on Disk I/O that could cause this? This laptop has a crappy HDD.

Dell D430
80GB 4200 RPM Toshiba HDD (sadly it's a 1.8" w/ ZIF connection so I can't upgrade)
2GB DDR2 (Maxed out)
C2D U7600 at a blazing fast 1.2GHz

For what it's worth, I have a ton of tabs open at the moment but 95% of them are Craigslist posts and some static job posting sites. One tab was Gliffy but I force closed all the plugin-container processes and Firefox still didn't come back up for quite a while.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

No, but your ISP might have such a setting hidden away somewhere.

I know that Comcast does.

If your ISP doesn't, you may be able to stop using their DNS servers and use e.g. Google Public DNS instead. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) This might not be possible, though, because some ISPs snoop outgoing DNS traffic and transparently redirect it to their own servers.

I went to my router (Linksys) and manually set DNS to 4.2.2.2 and I have Comcast. No more obnoxious redirects. Especially useful since I have a laptop as my daily driver but can't have manual DNS.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 21, 2012

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly. At the very least, use Google Public DNS, they actually intend for it to be used by the seething unwashed masses.

Alternately, the Comcast opt-out is at http://dns-opt-out.comcast.net/

What's the harm in using a root server? Isn't it meant to be hit constantly as well? I switched to the Google DNS entries (which were already in there, just in slots 2 and 3).

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Alereon posted:

You probably have old/bad video drivers. Firefox uses GPU acceleration for compositing and layers (unlike other browsers that use the CPU), in addition to Flash using it for video decoding and display. Try updating to the latest drivers provided by your graphics manufacturer.

Is this only true for later gen cards? I'm running a 7950GT in my daily driver with the latest drivers from Nvidia (and dealing with a world of issues that I won't get into here)

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Alereon posted:

I'm pretty sure they can still do hardware accelerated compositing of Layers using Direct3D/OpenGL (depending on platform) on older hardware assuming the driver isn't blocklisted. Hardware accelerated Direct2D rendering (where most of the performance and image quality gains come from) requires Vista SP2 or later and I THINK a DX9.0C videocard, but I'm not precisely sure where the cutoff is. I know it's blocked on some lower-end products (especially older Intel integrated graphics) that are capable of supporting it because the hardware is so crappy it's faster to just do it in software.

Hmm. Well, I disabled hardware acceleration in Flash and Youtube stopped sucking so until I figure out what's going on I'll just leave it alone.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Could you list your hardware and operating system?

I'd like more information on this flash HW acceleration doowacky? Is it in any way related to DXVA?

E6300 (1.86GHz C2D)
Intel DG965WH
7950GT w/ Nvidia Drivers v285.62
6G BDDR2

Win7 x64

edit: I've had weird issues with VLC Player where I have to go into Device Manager and remove/re-add the Display adapter for video to play. It's annoying and happens every so often but since it's a nice excuse to finish building my i7 system I'm not spending a ton of time figuring it out.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 8, 2012

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Dice Dice Baby posted:

The GeForce 7 series doesn't really possess DXVA, so video decoding will be done on your processor, maybe you still have the Direct2D acceleration, but I can't vouch for that

Yeah, that's what I'd determined myself a while back because I can't take advantage of GPU decoding on HD video either.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Alereon posted:

(especially complicated ones like Firebug)
If I click the little "power" button in Firebug when I'm not using it, is that good enough?

quote:

or have been using the same profile for years you should probably look into making a change.
Do you have suggestions for making a profile swap less painful?

Unfortunately I love the Awesome Bar too much to nuke my history, but I could easily transfer bookmarks/passwords. I ask because I'm pretty sure this profile is about 900 years old.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Or if you're alright with using a plugin to solve your issue, give IETab a shot. It's what I do for those one-off sites that work better in IE

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Xander77 posted:

Here:

They said under the Technical Details section, ie you'd need to expand that part :)

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Tivac posted:

Let's hope so. I'm a web developer so Firefox w/o Firebug is pretty much useless to me :(

Have you given the built-in one a shot lately? After my Firefox experience has continued degrading big time, I opted to disable firebug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

unruly posted:

Firefox 13 is officially out:

It may be psychosomatic, but this feels much smoother and more responsive than 12. I guess I'll let Firefox rot for a while before exiting again to put it through the same stress test as 12 had to deal with.