Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Neu posted:

What? It saves quite a bit of space having them on top.

The firefox button and tabs are inline with eachother.

When the window is maximized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Scoobi posted:

Really annoying. Had to back up to 6.0

That's probably not going to help; it's been this way since 4.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I've just upgraded to 8.0 beta and this is the first beta I've had since I hopped on 6 that has been buggy. I've had sprint.com's Javascript cause it to time out, and just now it insisted I had a URL open in another tab, and I did not.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
efb

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Alereon posted:

Firefox suffers more than other browsers from anything that impacts the speed at which it can access the disk, because it has more stuff to do when it closes and a lot of I/O happens on the main thread.
When I kill the process after I've shut off the program, I've never suffered any ill effects, so why does it have to do all this?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HalloKitty posted:

Best right click menu option ever.

Best part: It's not even "search Google". It's "search using whatever engine you have picked in your search bar at this moment." Which is usually Google, yes, but could be Amazon, Wikipedia, etc.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I'm enjoying the cat drugs, and actually it has educated me about our own site. For example, most other professional sites you'll see just layer upon layer of blue DIVs. Ours? Four nested red tables, all four taking up nearly the entire page. :facepalm:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What I like about that is the random couple of divs in the middle. In fact, my favorite part about this is the colorcoding that lets me easily see where the divs and tables are.

Also how it shifts from tables only, to tables nested in divs.

So, on a modern PC, would we really gain any performance by streamlining these pages? Or is it simply a matter of making it more maintainable in general, getting away from the horror of nested tables?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HalloKitty posted:

Apparently the internet is some kind of hearty but extremely trippy layered cake:

Where did that bar on the left come from?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

butts! posted:

:psyduck:

What is really intriguing me is the top four large layers are all very gridded. Those aren't individual layers, they're made up of dozens of bricks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

NOTinuyasha posted:

Post hot div pics and the tablest ticketing systems u got

:stare:

Mother of god.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What's really interesting is to look at the huge professional public-facing sites: MSNBC, CNN, etc. The towers are almost all blue divs, nary a red table to be found. (Looks like the tables tend to either be for actual tabular data, or for third party advertisements)

The bedrock of Gmail is *21* nested divs.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I apparently am on 12.0 beta, and I have a complaint. Before, I could open a new tab and hit 'for' and it would autofill "forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php". Now, it only autofills "forums.somethingawful.com/", which is very annoying. Anyone know if there's a setting to undo this change?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Alereon posted:

Wladimir Palant, Adblock Plus author, has posted a new experimental extension called "Suspend Background Tabs". It's being jokingly called "Lagblock Plus". The goal is to reduce/eliminate CPU usage by unfocused tabs, improving responsiveness and reducing jerkiness (jank) in the active tab. This is a prototype of technology coming to Firefox in a future version. It has some workarounds to let Youtube videos and such keep playing when you move to a different tab, but if you have problems you can pin your tab as an app tab, then check the "Don't suspend pinned app tabs" option in the Add-On options.
This sounds neat.

It would be nice for Firefox to have, or an addon to supply, the opposite. The change a few versions ago where JavaScript timers stop or slow down when you're not on the active tab, I'd like to be able to have the ad-hoc option to not do that. It's annoying to have to sit through a timer, or have to go to another window, because going to another tab pauses the timer.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Every time I want to come to the forums, I hit ctrl-L, 'for', down, enter. Annoyed at having to hit 'down' now but whatever. I apparently accidentally deleted the "http://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php" entry from my awesomebar while aiming for something else. How do I force it to come back? I've opened that link dozens of times since then and it just doesn't want to show up at the top.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

NihilCredo posted:

I think you need to type the specific shortcut for the awesomebar to remember it. It's not a simple string search, because for me 'for' does nothing since I open SA by typing 'u' (initially I typed 'usercp', then as the pattern established itself it needed fewer letters).

So try repeating [ Ctrl-L -> type 'forums.someth' etc. until the desired address appears -> press down, then enter -> Ctrl-W ] and it should take fewer and fewer letters to make SA appear on top.

OK, this is starting to work. Thanks.

Edit: Yay, it worked after about 6 tries. Each time it took fewer letters to get it to show up at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Why not add the forums as a bookmark then give it a keyword? That was, you only have to hit ctrl+L, type in a few letters (e.g. "sa") then hit enter.

I had it bookmarked but it hadn't occurred to me to use a keyword, even though I use those for searching. Thanks, that's a good idea.