Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

wormil posted:

I switched from FF to chrome some years ago and started to switch back but noticed some things. YouTube videos look washed out compared to chrome. FF feels slow, its hard to explain but the mouse feels slower, the program feels slow, like its all stuck in virtual molasses. Anything that can be done about those?
That's a fun way of putting it. As far as I know, there's not much to do about it. There has been made great improvements to the feel of FF the past 5 years, but I guess something fundamental about the engine will always make it feel a bit (note I said a bit) sluggish compared to Chrome. Ah well, it's not a deal breaker for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

PirateBob posted:

Any way to stop Firefox from bugging me about updating??
Sure:

Don't fall for the scare mongering, it's not like going online with a 3-months old version makes your computer instantly blow up as you browse. It slightly, slightly increases the risk that if you run into a malicious site, you might get a problem, if and when certain criteria are met.

Frankly I think software companies, including Mozilla and Google (Chrome), should start realizing how unfathomably annoying it is having to deal with constant application updates on the 4-6 devices some of us have between home and work, whether it's desktop and mobile. It's so insufferable that your reaction is natural; how to disable update nagging.

Personally I just update FF maybe once a year when it starts behaving slow or weird for whatever reason.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You're right that it's slightly safer to update, but I contest the notion that it's insecure to be online just because you don't have the latest version of a program. For example, Chrome has a simple dumb logic where it calculates the number of days since you last updated, and if the menu icon is red, "you are at risk!". Anyone who knows about software development will agree that this is simply scare mongering to make people update. You are not guaranteed to get infected with anything just because your version is X number of months old, that's not how software works.

Also, one reason I am always extremely tentative about installing updates for applications, whether they're for desktop or mobile, is the fact that many updates bring unwanted change or remove features from the program, or introduce new bugs. Particularly the latter is the biggest issue, and it's so demoralizing to update an application and see something broken that worked fine before. It happens over and over again, in games and regular programs. If the program works fine, I like sticking with it for a good while until I'm convinced (by reading online) that a new version is better in every aspect. Posts in this thread are a testament to the fact that new versions of Firefox often have annoying bugs.

If you don't mind updating your work computer, your home computer, your home laptop, your smartphone, your wife's smartphone, your tablet and your kids' two tablets every week when new browser updates come out, feel free, I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Zephyrine posted:

I tried chrome for a few days. It was not a seamless transition but i endured.

Then I tried to download a youtube video using my video download addon and it flat out refused because apparently google would take them from the app store thing if they permitted youtube downloading.

So I went back to firefox. The reason I need to download videos is that stuff constantly goes missing on youtube. If you have a 10 part comedy show saved to your favourites then come back to see it three years later. Parts 2-3-5-7 could very well be gone.

I was recently struck by a pang of guilt over my ad blocker. Surfing the internet and devouring all free content without doing anything in return. So I disabled it to see what the internet looks like these days.

Has anyone here used youtube without an ad blocker lately? They have ads that are 15 minutes long. I kid you not. Not a big deal if you're watching a video but when you have a playlist set and are listening to a story on youtube or music and it cuts into a 15 minute ad it's a disaster.

Some youtube ads even make you click an option before it even moves on at all.
You don't have to use only one browser. I use FF mainly, but Chrome for what it's best for - google's sites, such as YouTube, Gmail, Calendar, Maps, and also Facebook chat and video streaming. Firefox has always been slow with YouTube and videos I think, but I use FF for YouTube video downloading as well (same reason as you).

Oh, and screw not using an ad blocker, can't help you there. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

spit on my clit posted:

Is there any point to having Flash any more?
I reinstalled a fresh Windows 7 a month ago, and so far, I haven't missed it. I'm using a mix of FF and Chrome.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ola posted:

Did 53.0.2 come with a performance boost or is it just patch placebo? Everything just seemed a bit snappier after the last update, like zooming GMaps 3D. Even the GIF thread scrolled smoothly for a full page, but started eating poo poo on the next. Still, it seems to be eating poo poo more smoothly than before.
I noticed a big boost too, in loading new tab pages, and just general rendering speed. I came from v47, but only really upgraded because FF went into its yearly poo poo-mode, where everything was kinda sluggish and laggy, and no amount of restarting and disabling add-ons would work, so I upgraded.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Volguus posted:

My password management system:
1. 1234
2. 1234
3. FuckYouForNotTaking1234

It works. Nobody would ever guess 1234 as a password. I mean, who on earth would put 1234 as their password?
Not sure if you're joking, but assuming you're using a very simple password, frankly I don't even know if simple vs. strong passwords matter much these days. Aren't the majority of hacks done via phishing (where you yourself enter your password in a fake login form), keylogging (where the complexity of the password doesn't matter), or data theft? I don't have any data to back my assumption up, but I don't think there are many hacks done by guessing or brute forcing, two scenarios where password complexity matters. The former is ridiculously time consuming, and the latter is very easy to protect systems/websites against.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kassad posted:

Do you really have to change them often, though?
Maybe, is the answer.

The theoretical point of changing passwords is that if an old database/dump/print of passwords gets leaked/stolen/hacked, you will in the meantime have changed to a new password. For example, if you change a certain password every month, a leak of two-month old passwords won't affect you. Alternatively, if someone finds an old scribbled note in a company's trash bin with a password, it might have been changed in the meantime.

However - in this modern world, I don't know if that makes an ounce of difference. Why would hackers target old backups of passwords anyway? I'm dead certain that modern hackers strike, loot, and scoot quickly, so that it doesn't matter how old your password is, even a day old won't help. For example, assume you fall for a phishing scam and enter your Facebook login and pw in a fake login box. I have no doubt that there is either a fully automated process that logs in, changes the password and locks you out of the account, or a cheap labor (for example Chinese) person reacting immediately to the fresh hijack, and performs the account login manually. Shortly thereafter, automated programs immediately start abusing the account for spamming ads, or whatever they do. Same with a stolen online game account (for example World of Warcraft), after the account info is obtained, it is almost instantly logged into by hackers/automated programs, cleared of gold/valuables, and used to spam in-game, until the account is banned shortly after.

If you've been abroad to a far away country and have been using public Wifi, it kinda "feels safe" to change important account passwords after getting home, such as Google, but I don't know if it truly matters.

I think a much more important thing is to use different passwords for different websites/accounts. If someone gets hold of your email and a password you've used across many sites, they can easily attempt to login to all kinds of social media sites, forums, web mail, etc. using the same credentials.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Volguus posted:

I was joking (somewhat. there are plenty of lovely websites that i needed to make an account on that i will never visit again where 1234 is the perfect password and where i have some random username), but to your statement "I don't think there are many hacks done by guessing or brute forcing" i disagree. There are. There are databases with millions of known passwords, there are rainbow tables (for when you get the database itself) with millions of known hashes. For the large majority of websites out there security is not even remotely a thing they worry about. Hashing a password, and you're in the top 5%. Not using MD5, you're amazing. Salting it ... you're a god. Hell, firefox and chrome got a lot of flak from websites owners after they started to warn users when they entered passwords in non-https forms.
And usually the lack of security is not because people dont know how to implement it (if they don't is a google search away) but because they don't care. The more complex hacks (fishing, keylogging,etc.) are done against websites that have a good grasp of security where simple trying out 1234 in password fields doesn't work.

Klyith posted:

If you use a password manager and therefore have 15-20 random characters as your password, yours will be uncracked when the thief has reverse hashed everyone else's and gotten tired of listening to his GPU fans whine. Even if the hashes are unsalted. Even if it's using MD5.

(Of course, some places still store passwords plain text. Including ones who really should know better.)

Good points!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dangit, after a simple restart of FF, I am now also a victim of the weirdly squished together fonts:

It's all over FF - tabs, text, status bar, etc. What's the fix for thsi?

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, FF version 54.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

astral posted:

54? Your Firefox is vulnerable to Spectre and other things; you either need to update to 58 or install 52.6 ESR if some of your necessary extensions aren't ready.

See if the font thing still happens on one of those.
That wasn't what I asked, to be blunt. FF worked fine before a simple restart, and I think I've seen other people with this problem before.

I might give FF 57+ a try soon, but I have purposely waited until extensions and the community worked on fixing extensions and solving issues in 57. Jumping ship immediately to a new major version of a piece of software is always a bad idea.

If I can't fix this font thing, I will give it a shot soon. Is it a good idea to do a profile restore when upgrading? I don't want to lose my entered passwords, form fields, browsing history, etc.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 7, 2018

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

"unsupported browser"? You sound like Google or something. There's no rule in this thread stating we can't ask about older versions.

Edit: Thanks for the tip about ESR, I will try it.

xamphear posted:

lol are you trolling? Is this trolling? I can't tell.

Internet protip: When some douchebag posts "lol is this a troll?", they know full and well that said post is indeed not a troll.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 7, 2018

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

"Upgrading" to 52.6 ESR fixed the issue. Very strange, but thanks for the tip.

I will upgrade for sure at some point, but the whole "point" of Firefox to me are the extensions, which is why I've held back. If I didn't care about customizability or extensions, I might as well use Chrome.

My main concern is Tab Mix Plus, and to an extent, Classic Theme Restorer. We'll see.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox. One thing that bugs me is that when I click open new tab on a bookmark, it takes me to that new tab. Is there any way to turn that off so that when I click "open link in new tab", it stays on the tab I'm already on?

Simply hold Ctrl+Shift when clicking the bookmark, and it will open in a background tab. Just like clicking a regular link on a webpage. You can also just hold Ctrl to open it in a new tab and switch to it immediately.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

With the older versions I always felt like anything I wanted to do, I could. I would be able to find an extension or script somewhere that would do it. Or I could bodge something together myself and get what I wanted.

Never Firefox seems to be designed around "No, you can't do that. You can only do what WE want. And what we want is not for you to not be able to do very much at all."

Maybe one day the developers of all the extensions I once used will make webextension versions of their stuff, but until then using Firefox just feels so limiting. It's like I'm using Chrome. Yes, it's faster, but it's sacrificed the incredible power of its customisability to chase a market which will never be interested in switching over to them.
I'm in the same boat. It feels like upgrading to Windows 10 (which I promptly uninstalled and went back to Windows 7). Too simple, forced options, and next to no customizability.

The main addon I miss is Tab Mix Plus; just simple things like being able to duplicate a tab or undo close tab with a shortcut key. Why isn't this built-into Firefox? I tried Saka key, but it's stupid, it ruins type-ahead searching, which is about the only thing left that makes Firefox worth using instead of Chrome.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i just switched from chrome to firefox and love it so far, except for one thing. every like...15 seconds or so my keyboard lags. the computer still gets the input, but it doesn't appear in the text field for like 3 seconds, when it then rapidfires all the keys and gets back to live typing.

any idea why that might be? i've turned on all that was posted in the first post here. this happens on two different computers.

e: actually just found a page about it, and it told me to turn off accessibility services. we shall see...
Another staple Firefox issue that's been around for like 10 years and rears its ugly head once in a while. What I usually do is restart FF and it goes away for a while. Doing a version update has also sometimes helped, along with removing some extensions that were obsolete or I decided I didn't need anymore. Sorry not a very precise solution...

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

What is it with Firefox and not being able to reliably play video content? At some point during its runtime, it fails at playing Youtube videos, where the picture freezes with occasional skip aheads, unless the mouse cursor is over the video, while audio keeps playing. Looking it up, it's an issue that goes years back.

Desuwa posted:

Firefox in general is a browser where I put up with the jank and slow bug fixes because the alternatives are simply unusable.

If you're in Linux there are a bunch of unstable performance tweaks you need, which the arch wiki has a good page on. On windows I've sometimes fixed performance jank on YouTube after a graphics card charge or driver update by resetting all the non-default gfx. settings in about :config. Sometimes Firefox just holds on to old or wrong values and doesn't correct them, leading to awful performance issues.

Frankly I always use Chrome for anything involving video or heavy graphics, such as YouTube, Google Maps, Facebook, etc. Firefox just feels sluggish for such stuff, and always has.

I just permanently have both FF and Chrome open. FF on my main screen, for forums, research, resources and other "simple" websites. Chrome on the other screen for youtube, facebook, mail, etc. It works well both from a practical standpoint (It's not unusual to want to have a video playing on the second screen while browsing on the main screen), and with regards to performance.

So, you don't have to exclusively choose one browser over the other.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Grumpy old me finally upgraded from 52 ESR (pre-Quantum) to 62 release build. I finally found a solution for one of the issues that nagged me the most:

1) I want a new tab to open next to the current one, and always load https://www.google.com
2) I want the search box (the small one in the top right corner) to search exclusively in Wikipedia

I still miss the old complete separation between the address bar and the search box (if they're the same, what's the point?), but now I can live with the change.

The "trick" was using the extensions "Open Tabs Next to Current" and "New Tab Override", and in the settings for New Tab Override, not check the checkbox "Set focus to the web page instead of the address bar". Checking this conflicts with Open Tabs Next to Current, and makes a new tab skip two times to the right instead of one.

I don't know if it's in my mind or because the world (websites) around us is changing, but amazon was becoming insufferably slow on the old FF. On the new, it's super fast to load a product page for example.

I still find is silly that very basic functionality with regards to tab behavior must be done with single-purpose extensions, or simply aren't possible at all. SAD!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

isndl posted:

Middle clicking the new tab button opens it next to your current tab in case you weren't aware, though it's a little more convenient to simply left click the button. I seem to recall being able to set the new tab homepage but I just use the default one since it has a Google search box already, I just turned off the other junk on that page. :shrug:

You can definitely disable web searching from the address bar via an about :config tweak, though I don't recall the parameter offhand. You can also remove all the other search engines from the search box so it only searches Wikipedia.
Okay, but I don't think I've ever used that + for opening a new tab, I use Ctrl+T.

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

setting browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent to true in about :config makes them open next to your current one with a left click of that button (same with ctrl+t) fyi

Sweet, thanks. That works. :)

Also anothing thing I miss are hotkeys for basic stuff like Duplicate Tab or Undo Close Tab. Are there some built-in? I tried Saka Key, but it seems to mess up the browser experience as it by default maps just about anything I press. I'm a huge fan of the "Search for text when you begin typing" feature, so I can't really accept that typing regular letters spawns functionality. I'd just love to map Ctrl+Alt+T to Duplicate tab and Ctrl+F12 to Undo close tab, for example.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jokes posted:

When I close Firefox it is fullscreen usually. When I open Firefox it is usually in a smaller window.

What gives?

Try checking the shortcut you use to start Firefox. On a Windows shortcut, you can right-click, Properties, and then there's a box named "Run", where you can set it to startup Maximized. At least on Windows 7.

Still, even though my shortcut is set to "Normal window", FF remembers that it's supposed to be maximized every time, but I don't know where that setting is saved.

Klyith posted:

Most people wouldn't want it to stay fullscreen all the time, so it doesn't.

here you go

Why people wouldn't want to run their main browser maximized all the time is beyond my understanding. :confused:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I too recommend the Youtube-dl-gui (or Youtube-DLG as it's also called). I used the "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader" extension that overmind2000 posted for many years with no major issues, but these days I just prefer the separate program.

You can even supply the URL of a playlist, and it'll download the whole shebang.

Just remember that once in a while it'll start giving errors on every video due to Youtube changing internal stuff - then you typically just need to update the internal youtube-dl program, which can be done by clicking in gear icon in the top right, then Update in the menu.

One quirk I've found though, is that if you specify 1080p specifically, it'll sometimes not work. Try the different formats, I usually just use "default" and it'll get the best quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Progressive JPEG posted:

"An update is available but you need to restart to actually get it" is a pretty common feature and I don't see why you should need to disable automatic updates for that. I pretty clearly remember seeing a notice like that in Chrome. Even Spotify's minimum effort electron desktop app does it.

If you read this entire thread and the past 15 years of precedessors, you'd see the threads full of people say they updated FF, and stuff broke. I have automatic updates turned off, because I don't want to spend hours every other month fighting against updates that just break stuff and give me nothing positive. I update once in a blue moon, but that's it. Just look at the shitshow of the Quantum update, how many months did it take for FF to become usable again with some fundamental add-ons restored and major issues fixed? I waited over a year with going from old to Quantum, and after switching, it took me months to get it comfortable again. I appreciated the improvement in performance and stability, but that's about it, everything else got worse for me. And FF is still a memory leaking hog [reposting from 2003].

I just recommend that people always check this thread or Reddit before updating FF, because stuff can and will break with updates. Then you can decide after a while if it's worth the version upgrade.