Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone know how they're going to handle this? Will flash be bundled as in Chrome? If so, what about other plugins that need you to run an executable?

Don't know how FF is going to handle it, but if you want to handle this right now, Secunia PSI is free and does a very good job, though personally I'd go with V2 as the interface in V3 is a bit crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

On the subject of that HTML5 trial, the thing most annoying me about it is when you right click -> copy URL, instead of copying it to clipboard, it opens up a little box for you to copy from.

This would be fine, except the text in there is not copyable. How do you fix that?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Can someone tell me which setting causes this?

On my old Firefox profile, which I've had since (I think) the days of Firefox 3. My tabs and toolbars pick up their colour from the Windows theme, which I rather like. I do not have any custom themes or personas installed and the Firefox window changes colour with the Windows 8 colour scheme.

On my new Firefox profile, the tabs are grey, only the very background picks up my windows colour settings.

This is what my old profile looks like compared to the new one:

vs

I'd love to get that setting back. It's the only thing stopping me from actually running on a freshly reset profile.

So this post is 14 months old and I finally figured it out sort of.

Just needed to copy over userchrome.css. Some setting in there makes it work, not sure which one. Would be handy to know as there seems to be a lot of crap in there. I uploaded it here if anyone can be arsed to take a look.

For now though, finally running on a fresh profile, at long bloody last!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just out of curiosity - when you made a new profile, did you notice much of a performance/stability increase?

Ask me again in a couple of days. My firefox would usually take that long before it would grind to a halt and refuse to open tabs and refuse to exit (though existing tabs would work fine). Hopefully this would sort it now.

Riso posted:

How do you get the firefox button on the navigation bar?

Install the "UI Fixer" addon. It also gives you back a proper title bar.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Ask me again in a couple of days. My firefox would usually take that long before it would grind to a halt and refuse to open tabs and refuse to exit (though existing tabs would work fine). Hopefully this would sort it now.

Nope, still grinds to a halt after a couple of days, e.g. single digit FPS in even SD youtube videos.

At least File -> Exit actually does something when it reaches that state, so an improvement but not much of one.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

The back button is PART of the address bar, you can't move it. I'd have to move everything over to the right side now...

If you right click -> customise it will show separate back and forward buttons. If you then move them away from the address bar they will revert to their old forms. The fancy combining thing only happens when they're all together in the correct order.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

pipes! posted:

I wonder if we could all endorse the new Mozilla CEO for his Homophobia skills on LinkedIn.

poo poo, now I have to switch to Chrome, and find a replacement for Thunderbird.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Or continue using the browser with a new tab page addon that eliminates any ad revenue they may have received from you, thus leeching on their output without contributing one red cent ;-*

Firefox gets ad revenue?

(new tabs open to about :blank for me)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Both Firefox and Waterfox are doing this thing where after a day or two of uptime they grind to a halt, slow to react to mouseclicks, single digit FPS on flash videos (youtube etc.) and most bizarrely, entering search terms into google's search bar, if I type ahead too much, the keypresses get converted into spaces.

Quitting and restarting it sorts it, though sometimes I have to wait a while for the process to actually exit properly.

Profile is only a couple of weeks old. It was brand new with only cookies.sqlite, sessionstore.js & userchrome.css copied from the old one (and possibly places.sqlite, can't remember). All addons re-installed from scratch.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well this update (FF33) has broken the Tab Utilities addon in a rather ridiculous way. With that addon installed, typing into the address bar and pressing enter does nothing.

Also at some point Status-4-Evar has stopped working properly. I'd like to have it so that when I hover over a link, the URL of that link is shown in the statusbar so that I know it's not goatse.cx or whatever.

Anyone know of a workaround or replacement for these?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I already updated it manually. No joy.

The default in FF these days is to have a little popup with the new URL, but as I'm an old fart who started out with Netscape 2 or something like that, I kinda prefer having it at the bottom on a statusbar.

It's possible it's conflicting with classic theme restorer, but with status-4-evar removed, I couldn't find a way to make classic theme restorer do it either, even though the option is there.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

Go into Customize and make sure "Status Text" is in your status bar.

That fixed it. No idea why that had disappeared. Thank you.

Now I just need a fix for Tab Utilities and I'm sorted. :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

Asides from must-haves like ABP, Switch to Tab no more, and Classic Theme Restorer, I'm pretty fond of Anti Tumblr Infinite Scroll. Even if it's a little wonky some times, it's still easier to live with than infinite scroll.

You realise Tumblr lets you turn off infinite scroll anyway?

One addon I love is Konquefox. It lets you add two buttons, an up button that works the same way as the up button in Windows Explorer, and also an x button that empties and then focuses the address bar.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

I don't have a Tumblr account and have no intention of getting one. But if I don't need one, please do tell me how.

Oh, it probably needs an account, could just make a throwaway one.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like some random person from China or thereabouts has fixed Tab Utilities for FF33

https://github.com/yfdyh000/tabutils/releases

At own risk, as with any other off-site addon, of course.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I gave up on tab utilities and switched to Tree Style Tab. Love it to bits but, even on a new profile, it grinds my browser to a halt, making even basic scrolling clunky as gently caress.

Any idea how to fix it?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Pikestaff posted:

So Facebook has this weird issue where copy-pasting url links into comment boxes occasionally wigs everything out and makes it so that either the link doesn't display or pressing enter won't post the comment. Or both.

I'm fairly certain it's an addon but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue before and knows what addon might be the culprit, before I start manually digging through the 40 or so addons I have installed.

What happens if you paste into notepad first, or use PureText to paste it?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there any way to stop Facebook bringing Firefox to its knees, popping up the "script taking too long to run" error and generally making the whole browser unresponsive.

I can restart the browser and get another half hour, or restart it and then not go on facebook, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Tried manually making a new profile, tried waterfox and that taz009 build, in addition to vanilla firefox, makes no difference.

Annoying thing is FB works fine on firefox for android!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Which extensions do you have? I used to get this, but switching from ABP to uBlock stopped this issue entirely. It wasn't an issue of hardware for me - I have an i7 3770K.

Here's the extensions. I have the same set of extensions on two machines, and only one of them has the issue. Both have new manually created profiles. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

The machine that doesn't have problems is an i7 920 @ 3.8GHz with 2x ATI6970 in crossfire, 12GB RAM and an 80GB Intel X-25M SSD.
The machine that does have the problem is a Clevo W170HR laptop with a 2.6GHz i5, nVidia 555M optimus + Intel HD3000, 4GB RAM and a 250GB Intel 330 SSD.

Not sure I want to switch from ABP if possible as I've done a lot custom element hiding stuff for an unrelated forum that has a lot of obnoxious gifs all over the place.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

Same with Text Link...

Anyways, you can pretty much just import your filters, including custom element hiding ones, into uBlock. And since they're both no-restart plugins, you can just temporarily run them side by side to migrate things and then do tests easily enough by switching ABP off and refreshing a page.

I don't use facebook, but you could also consider trying to block the one script that's loving up.

oooh, in that case I might give it a go.
With FB, if you abort the script it's complaining about then half the links stop working, e.g. the edit button and the view comments button.

Edit: I assume I have to cut+paste from adblockplus.ini into the My Filters tab of the ublock control panel.
Some of them work, some don't, and the block element feature seems to be a bit hit and miss too. Does feel faster though. Not tried it on the laptop yet.

Edit: Still running like crap on the laptop.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 12, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

What does Konquefox do exactly? I'm a KDE user, but their addon page doesn't really mention anything that sounds like any kind of KDE integration. It sounds like it just adds some toolbar buttons.

It adds the up button and the clear address bar buttons from Konqueror. I loved those when I used KDE 3.5 and have always missed them in other browsers, which is why I still use this extension even though I'm on Windows 8.1

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, you can literally just copy+paste rules from ABP into uBlock and they'll all work without modification.

Where do you copy from? I ended up having to copy them from the .ini file that you get when saving settings, and only some of them work.
I tended to use the "block image" facility a lot, e.g. pictures of gross skin conditions or parasites on wikipedia, or people whose forum avatar is a picture of their dick on fetlife, and these didn't seem to work.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Any idea why, on certain pages such as FB, the thickness of the fonts is varying as I move the mouse around the page. It's really annoying.

Example....

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I've been finding that Tree Style Tab runs like crap lately, but there's a "nightly" here from the 11th May that seems to work a lot better.

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xpi/nightly/

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Soon it's going to be that just as the only reason for a home user to install Java is to play Minecraft, the only reason for a home user to install Flash is to read Homestuck.

Hope that this HTML5 flash plugin kills off that one, and that said plugin makes its way to Firefox for Android.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

speaking of facebook, firefox for android has an annoying bug where the text entry boxes don't show the text you're typing. any idea how to fix that?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I have my work machine configured to basically always be in private browsing mode, and to start with my home page (Google)

Any idea why Tree Style Tab sometimes creates this random extra tab, which then seems to cause an off by one error if you try and close it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I guess also because gifs are short and silent.

I have a tendency to just scroll past video posts if I'm just casually browsing while bored, usually because I can't be bothered to go and look for my headphones, or am listening to music.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a userchrome hack to change the colour of the little horizontal 1px grey line between the toolbars and the page you're viewing.

I have a purplish toolbar colour, and the grey line is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SirViver posted:

#navigator-toolbox { margin-bottom: -1px; }

That got rid of it, thank you!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Don't suppose you know how to make the sidebar a different colour too? (The tree style tab one) I'd like that to be purplish as well :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Probably the easiest way to do this is to install DOM Inspector. I used to use it a lot for Thunderbird development; it's a great way of figuring out how a UI element is defined/styled.

(If you want to go full-nerd, you can use the remote debugging protocol too, but I think that involves running two separate Firefox instances, which is probably more complex than it's worth for farting around with userChrome.)

Had a go at this, but can't figure out how to make it show UI elements, only elements in webpages. Help?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So FF40 has introduced a bug where it's drawing its own titlebar icons on top of the actual Win10 ones, and in the process making them unclickable.

I can get rid of it by setting browser.tabs.drawintitlebar to false, but I don't want it setup like that.

Any way I can turn off FF attempting to provide it's own window controls and just use the ones provided by Windows?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Read posted:

What happens if you create userChrome.css in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<your-profile>\chrome with the contents

code:
@namespace url([url]http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul[/url]);
#window-controls { display:none!important; }
#titlebar {display: none !important;}
#main-window {-moz-appearance:none !important;}
and restart Firefox?

e: Added the proper css, woops.

Addedn that to the top of my existing userchrome. The buttons now appear correctly but are not clickable.

Had to remove the main-window entry as it was making it 100% transparent so you can see my desktop.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

I assume you've tried safe mode and removing any existing userChrome.css that you have? Is your font scaling in Windows set to something non-default? If neither of those help, I've mentioned DOM Inspector in this thread before, and it'd probably be your best bet to futz with the CSS until something works. If you can conclude that the problem is in Firefox somewhere, please file a bug too. :)

The problem is I'm using the extension Tabs On Bottom to push the navbar up into the titlebar area. I then did a little userchrome hack to add 150px padding to the right of the navbar so the window controls still worked.

It seems in FF40 the navbar is drawn on top of the window controls, where previously it was drawn underneath.

Is there a userchrome hack to make it click through? or instead of padding just push the rightmost edge left by 150px?

Edit:
Ok I've got the close buttons working with:
code:
#nav-bar { padding-right: 150px !important;
           max-height: 37px !important;
	   min-height: 37px !important;
	   pointer-events: none !important;}

#nav-bar::after { pointer-events: all !important;}
But that last setting, which I was hoping would allow the toolbar items to be clickable again, doesn't seem to work. Which setting should I be using?

Lum fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 11, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ok this works but doesn't fix the doubled-up images

code:
/* Move navbar over, for when it's in the titlebar */
#nav-bar { padding-right: 150px !important;
           max-height: 37px !important;
	   min-height: 37px !important;
	   pointer-events: none !important;}

#nav-bar * { pointer-events: all !important;}
Also I can't properly pin FF to taskbar in Win10, it always creates a separate icon for the running process :(

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Found the problem with the close buttons.

FF on Windows 10 does not honour your windows theme choices.
Pic taken on a fresh profile.

Doesn't look too bad but combine with userchrome hacks and all hell breaks loose.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well I've got it mostly back how I like it. Shame the titlebar buttons don't match the rest of Windows, and I had to hardcode the colour rather than taking it from the Windows theme, but I can deal with that. As an added bonus I somehow managed to colour in the sidebar too!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MikusR posted:

Windows 10 themes don't change the titlebar color. The app maker decides on color.

Some Windows 10 themes do, just not the default one.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Any way to move the burger menu to the left of the navbar without using classic theme restorer as that seems to lag my browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

For some reason the update to FF40 has moved the green progress bar that's supposed to be at the bottom of the location bar, over to the side.

Guessing this is a bug in status-4-eva, but anyone else seen it?