Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a decent alternative to tree style tab yet? So far the only ones I've found are Vertical Tabs Reloaded and Tab Tree, neither of which let you actually collapse trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

xamphear posted:

Wait, why are you trying to find a replacement for tree style tab? It's still actively updated and works with versions as high as 55.

Grinds the browser to a halt and doesn't work with e10s, or did they fix that recently? Because if they did then gently caress yeah.

E: Nope, just tried it on 52.0.2 and it didn't even work. Regardless of settings, tabs stay on the top.

Lum fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ok, so I made a new profile and Tree Style Tab is working again.

One feature I miss from Tab Tree though, is an unrelated feature where a maximised browser would have its titlebar removed, pushing the navbar up to the very top of the screen, giving me more vertical screen space.

TBH I'd like to just do that for all windows, not just maximised, is there a good way to do that?

Also is there a good replacement for Clean Links, as that hasn't updated since 2011 and doesn't do Google Shopping links.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

Clean Links doesn't seem to have a Mozilla addon page for it anymore, so I can't quite see what it does.

Is this similar?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dont-track-me-google1/

Clean Links did any URL that had another URL in it. Occasionally this broke things (eg. SourceForge) but you could whitelist those.

I guess I'll just rip it out of my old profile :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Tree Style Tab and a bit of userchrome & about:config to get rid of the original tabbar and I'm pretty happy with the new Firefox.

Can anyone suggest replacements for the following addons?

Download Manager Tweak - Puts the download window into a tab instead of a dropdown menu
DownThemAll - Specifically the download manager aspect for when I'm downloading from slow lovely sites like Baidu. Am I going to have to pretend it's 1997 again and install GetRight?
KonqueFox - Adds an "up" button to the navbar, and also buttons that clear the text from the location bar or search bar

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2017

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

iospace posted:

How did you get rid of the original tab bar? I use Tree Style Tab as well and am looking to do that.

userChrome.css
code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#TabsToolbar, #sidebar-header {
    visibility: collapse !important;
}
Also turn on the OS titlebar in the customise menu.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Nah, Mozilla chose to be dicks and changed the profile format with 54, so there is no downgrading while also cancelling the 56 based ESR release so people can't stick with the last version that support XUL extensions. I'd be stuck with 52ESR, which doesn't support a bunch of the newer webextension based addons, as many webextension API's only got added very recently.

Unless a real security issue shows up, there isn't any risk to staying with 56 until, say, 58 shows up.

I guess there's always Waterfox, which now has a thing to migrate your profile, and is basically doing an ESR based on Fx55 for the time being
(until he can figure out how to hack XUL and XPCOM back into more recent Fx releases)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

what browsers for Android exist that are not Chrome and also support uBlock Origin?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.emmx&hl=en :dance:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Firefox 57 for Android question.

What's the equivalent of the override web fonts setting on the desktop? because the option to not download web fonts isn't equivalent, or simply doesn't work.

Basically on my GF's phone, I've replaced the Roboto fonts with Dyslexie (because she's Dyslexic) and now I'm trying to make Firefox for Android use "Roboto" for everything as well, but sites like the BBC are still showing in their own cutom snowflake font.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone using Lastpass on FF for Android, because now when I try to log in, it just takes me to a blank screen and doesn't actually log me in.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Anyone using Lastpass on FF for Android, because now when I try to log in, it just takes me to a blank screen and doesn't actually log me in.

Lastpass people told me they'd reproduced the fault and are gonna get their devs to fix it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I changed my computer's clock temporarily (in order to trigger a secret boss fight in Undertale) and Firefox 57 has disabled all my addons claiming they are no-longer signed.

I've since set the clock back correctly and restarted the browser and it still reckons they're unsigned and doesn't give me any opportunity to check them again. Short of removing them all (losing settings) and reinstalling, what can I do to get them working again?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

astral posted:

If this is anything like a similar issue I had where an extension didn't want to validate correctly, you may have to manually edit extensions.json in your user profile folder (back it up first, of course). Look for flags with the word "disabled" in them.

There wern't any disabled by this, but the next day they started working again. Except tree style tab which was enabled but not showing anything until I reinstalled it. I have no idea if the others are working or not.

Im_Special posted:

I'm curious just how far did you set it back? hours, months, years?

I set it to 8th October 2017 at 8PM. (Undertale fans now know exactly which secret I was going for :) )

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Android version of 57.

If I do a google image search, open the full size image and then long press the image, what I want to do is be given an option to download that image. This happens about 10% of the time and the rest of the time the text copying prompts come up.

I haven't established any pattern to it, how can I reliably save images in this way?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

Firefox is acting weird - dropped noscript and switched just to ublock origin in medium mode. However, now at random times, tabs just blank out and I have to reload them. I was listening to streaming music via youtube and it just stopped. I guess certain tabs are crashing? I also have to quit out firefox if I want to play a video game. Otherwise the game just crashes.

Is that possibly due to the fact that firefox is doing a lot of work on the GPU now? Not had this issue myself, but I'm on an Optimus setup. Disabling hardware acceleration might fix it?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

RZApublican posted:

I don't think I've seen it posted in the thread, but Tree Style Tab was rewritten to work on Firefox 57+ a while ago

Yes, it is, and this bit of userChrome.css makes it actually useful!

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#TabsToolbar {
    visibility: collapse !important;
}
#sidebar-box[sidebarcommand="treestyletab_piro_sakura_ne_jp-sidebar-action"] #sidebar-header {
  display: none;
}

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

Just to confirm before I mess with it, does this allow tabs to be hidden as if they were in a different tab group? I finally made the jump to 57 last week and TST as-is definitely doesn't help much without the ability to hide tabs I'm not using right this moment.

It hides the tab bar at the top, and also the header on the TST sidebar.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

58 is out now.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So at some point over the last few versions, it's developed an issue where typing into the google search bar (the one on the actual google page) doesn't work, either lags like hell or is completely unresponsive.

Doesn't affect any other website. My profile is relatively new (I made a new one when I switched from Waterfox to FF57). Annoying AF.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

Looks like YouTube now works around whatever uBlock Origin was doing to block advertisements. Hooray for getting unskippable advertisements in a language I don't speak. Google, you know my preferred language is English why do you so consistently fail to use this information.

Edit: nope uBlock just completely broke - restarting Firefox fixed it.

Does SmartTube still work for youtube ads?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a blanket way to stop addons from opening a new tab every time they update. It confuses the gently caress out of my GF each time, especially on Android where the tabs are less obvious and it just looks like the page changed. I'm kinda sick of having to explain it and close tabs for her.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

weird niche use case but then again niche use cases are what ff was designed for so here goes: i have an instance of transmission (bittorrent client) on a home server; i used to just use the transmission-remote-gui application for osx but that's been utterly busted to the point of inoperability for loving months, and even when it worked it was awful to use compared to the standard osx transmission app and even the web gui. feels like there has to be a better way than literally copy and pasting a link over to the webgui tho; is there any firefox extension that i can use to pass the 'add torrent' command to the server as an option on the 'open with' menu? i presume there's a cli way to do this so if there's any way to get firefox to interpret cli commands or something then i can prob muddle thru

Which version are you using? If it's 5.0.1, then some other guy took over maintaining it: https://github.com/transmission-remote-gui/transgui/releases

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm now down to only two legacy extensions that I haven't managed to replace. Does anyone have any suggestions for:

Download manager tweak: I used this mainly to move the download window into a tab that I could leave open
hxxp: made URLs like hxxp://blah.com clickable (without sending a referrer)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

Add a bookmark for about :downloads?

Well poo poo, that actually works!

Are there any add-ons that add back the extra buttons? That one added, retry, stop, delete etc as buttons which was quite nice (and I forgot wen't standard!)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So people who like dark themes, you might want to have a look at the Shadowfox theme. It's an auto installing userChrome theme that also themes a bunch of extensions, all the menus, about : screens etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there an extension similar to "I don't care about cookies" that handles the new GDPR stuff, only this one actually turns off all the tracking poo poo instead of accepting it.

Most of the GDPR things all seem to use the same form, so it seems this'd be simple to implement.