Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've got a trivial problem that still manages to irritate me, when I select cells in a graph and tab out and back, those cells are no longer selected. The text is highlighted instead.

Like this:

And if I leave the tab and then return:

It never used to do this is the other versions and I really don't know why they would change it. I would really appreciate it if anyone knew of a way to make Firefox stop deselecting the cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Like the new Find function. I hit Ctrl-F and the search bit is on the far left but all the other buttons are right over on the far side of the screen. In the middle is an empty, unused wasteland.

Why :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But why not just keep them all on the left side of the screen? There's literally no point to moving them all the way over beyond making the program just a little bit more annoying to use.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

SirViver posted:

I'm using the weirdly named S3.Download Statusbar, which appears to be an exact replica of the old one. Didn't have any problems with it so far.

Just tried this out - if feels and looks exactly like the old one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

This is great. Thank you.

m2pt5 posted:

I use a combination of Youtube Center and Resize Youtube Player to Window Size. The latter script moves the search bar and title below the video, and stretches the embed to fill the browser window, at whatever size you have it.

I use YouTube Big Player which lets me set just how large a window I want YouTube to play in. Well, if you open it up and edit the two lines under #player-ap to select the size you want

Also great is YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD which starts buffering the video without playing it. I hate autoplaying videos because it normally only happens when I have a tonne of tabs open and it's a video with really loud sound and it takes forever to find the culprit.

Now there's an extension I'd like to see - one that normalises sound levels across all YouTube videos.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Cool. That means I can uninstall my other stuff and simplify Firefox a bit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I don't mind Australis. I'll adjust to things being in different places eventually.

But one thing that's driving me up the wall is that the empty space to the right of your tabs now seems to be considered part of the title bar.

It means that if I go to open a new tab by double clicking to the right of an existing tab* it has the same effect as clicking on the title bar of a regular window - it resizes my window. If I go to close several tabs quickly by clicking on the small 'x' in the corner of the tabs, it does the same thing unless I do it really. really. slowly.

* I use Tab Mix Plus and I think this is a feature of that extension. It also let me resize how big the tabs are and now they all fit nicely across the top of the screen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Thanks for that, it makes things a lot better for me.

Is there a way to get the icons for all my extension back to the bottom of the screen again? I looked but couldn't find any option to do that.

Having them up the top of the screen has pretty much killed ReminderFox's usefulness because it can't show the reminders anymore.

EDIT - well, going out and turning off my computer seemed to do the trick for that. When I came back Firefox decided it would now allow me to put my icons down the bottom again. Yay.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 30, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Krime posted:

Who thought it would be a good idea to remove the ability to double click next to an open tab to open a new tab?

All I do now is resize my window.

How do I open a new tab without clicking the new tab button or right clicking a link?

Am I doing this wrong? :)

That's exactly what I said on the last page, it was bugging the hell out of me, too. Thankfully, Flipperwaldt pointed out that there's an option in Classic Theme Restorer which let's you bring back the double click.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've always just dragged the tabs to where I wanted them to go. Seemed like less hassle than loving about with the favourites button :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Someone here recommended me YouTube Center a while back and it's been nothing short of excellent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've got adblock and NoScript and haven't seen ads on youtube for years. So I can't say if it does or not.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Does anyone know a good extension for replacing individual images on a site?

There are a number of users here with horrible flashing avatars and I'd love to set them to a static version without losing the ability to quickly identify that user.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I use Toggle animated GIFs and couldn't imagine Firefox without it. Having a pause and rewind button on all gifs (on mouseover) is incredible.

It'd just be nice to pause particular gifs permanently.

I think I'll follow Subjunctive's advice and see if I can't Frankenstein together a Stylish script.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Does this stop them from loading/downloading? I'd love something like this if I could load them on demand with a simple click like how most embedded videos don't start until you press play. Seriously some forums people just need to post an endless amount of huge fuckoff sized gifs for no reason and pages end up taking so long to load, stop that.

I think this extension might be what you want:

gif Block

"There is a lot of web page that has some Gif files. These file consume users bandwidth. With this add-on users can disable Gif files and avoid them from being appear. however users can change the setting and view the Gif files again."

But I'm not sure how well it actually works.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

Does anyone know a good extension for replacing individual images on a site?

Quoting myself because I found the answer in Yahoo Answers (of all places)

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Replace Annoying Avatars

// @namespace   http://*

// @description Replace Annoying Avatars

// @include       http://*
// ==/UserScript==

var images = document.getElementsByTagName ("img");
var x=0;
while(x<images.length)
{
if(images[x].src == "ORIGINAL IMAGE")
{
images[x].src = "REPACEMENT IMAGE";
}
x=x+1;
} 
Hooray for not having to think for myself :hf:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 5, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
To anyone running the YouTube Center Greasemonkey addon - it's now an extension in its own right.

Also, it no longer works as a Greasemonkey script. You can still play YouTube videos if they're embedded elsewhere, but if you try to play them on YouTube itself, you'll just see a black box where the video should be.

Also, also, the import settings button in the extension doesn't work for poo poo and won't recognize the old script's settings. So be prepared to either take a lot of notes or take a lot of screenshots if you want to keep your settings.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

So whats the course of action then? Wait for the YouTube Center guy to update the addon (he is fixing it right?), or look for an alternative YouTube Center?

The YouTube Center extension is made by the same person who makes the YouTube Center Greasemonkey script. They look and work exactly the same. Once running you can't tell them apart.

It's just that you need to manually import your settings over from the script to the extension.

I took about 20 screenshots, one of each tab for the script. Then I uninstalled the script and installed the extension and changed all the settings to the same as I had before. Only took a couple of minutes and it's definitely worth it. I don't think I could use YouTube anymore without YouTube Center.

Or you can do that :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If I have too many tabs full of images open Firefox turns the pages black as soon as I try to scroll. That's my cue to save anything I'm doing because it also means it's about to crash.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
One word of warning about the YouTube Center addon is that every time it updates it will completely forget all its settings.

But apart from that one thing, it's great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Which prompts me to ask - is there any way to make the UAC window always appear in the same place?

Because for me it can appear anywhere and it really bugs me in an OCD way. Appear in the centre of the screen, not any old place :argh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why?

Why? Someone please tell me why, after reading all the above posts about Firefox completely freezing if you looked at those animated graphs and, with a dozen open tabs - why would I then go and open that loving link to see if it would happen to me too.

Why?

:negative:
It did.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
A great little add-on I found for dealing with all the search engines I have installed in the search bar is Scroll Search Engines which lets you use your mousewheel to scroll through all of them.

It really should be default behaviour for Firefox to do this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'd read somewhere that they were going to do that. At least you have the option to fix it. gently caress Yahoo.

I think the last time I visited Yahoo, I was using Netscape Navigator.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I am so loving sick and tired of seeing Alibaba results. There used to be a script just for blocking them but it stopped working. EDIT: Bieeardo has it right two posts down, you used to be able to do this directly through google. Then they got rid of that functionality :argh:

Thankfully, you can get an extension called Hide Unwanted Results of Google Search which lets you do the same thing.

I may have to give DDG a try if it doesn't throw up all those lovely links.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 11, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I hate updating my graphics drivers - too many horrible experiences from the old days of Windows where I ended up with a completely buggered system and the tedium of a full reinstall. Your post made me realise that it's been a while, so I checked for updates.

It's been three years since I updated my drivers :negative:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

wooger posted:

Its a much more efficient AdblockPlus replacement, that uses way fewer resources.

Same filter lists, more options. Its really making a dramatic difference to my PCs performance this week.

But what about all the custom rules I've already made? Will I now have to go to every single site I visit and reblock all the crap?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, I'm a convert.

I couldn't find a way to move AdBlock's Element Hiding Helper preferences to uBlock, but it's been simple enough to use the eyedropper to strip away the crap on the sites I've tested it on.

It did take me rather an embarrassing long time to find the eyedropper*, but everything certainly seems to be loading quicker.

* It looks greyed out and my eyes tend to pass right over stuff like that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Now that there's a better version of AdBlock, is there a better replacement for No Scripts?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

What's your beef with No Scripts,? it's pretty drat perfect in my eyes. There are alternatives sure, such as RequestPolicy and that may give you more control over what gets through, but comes at a greater cost of "pain in the rear end to configure".

I was having some weird poo poo happen where I kept having to reset my permissions for the past two days. But I've restarted in safe mode and now things are working again. For the moment.

Looks like it's about time to refresh my profile again.

\/\/Hey, thanks!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 27, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Baram posted:

is there a way to get rid of ugly firefox button/header there and scale down all that dead space?

Look under View > Toolbars > Additional Toolbar and try unchecking it.

This is what my Firefox does when I play with the Addititional Toolbar option:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Nevermind - completely misread that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Works fine on my end, If you use YouTubeCenter (assuming) make sure you are using the latest dev build and not "stable" because that one is always months old. https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Thanks for this! I was just trying to update Youtube Centre today and couldn't find anything more recent than what I had.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

xamphear posted:

I know there are all sorts of reasons why, but I (and Firefox's users) just don't care. Chrome, Safari and even IE had it for years, and I think they just stopped waiting for Mozilla to catch up.

All the social media sites seem to be using it and that has to hurt Firefox's market share.

I have the "open in Chrome" add-on and it's a lifesaver. But it's a solution to a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
When I started using uBlock I loved how many resources it freed up. But I still kept have Firefox eat everything and freeze. I knew it was from all the YouTube threads with embedded videos I read, they utterly kill my machine. A user linked the Greasemonky extension YouTube Link Title but I had tried it before and hated it because it didn't play well with SA Last Read and it opened its own video player as a popup whenever you clicked on a link.

On the plus side, it does turn a video link in a post from a string of gibberish into the actual title of the video and brings up a thumbnail of the video.

But goddamn, I hated that player that would pop up floating in the middle of the screen. It meant I would have the embedded video playing in the page and a floating video playing over it at the same time. All using up even more resources.

Messing around looking at the code (I am not skilled at reading code, so it was more 'wrecking things until it broke in the way I wanted it to'), I figured out that if I just commented out any line in the greasemonkey script starting with "embed:function" it would stop the horrible popup player from, well, popping up and playing.

I've also turned off embedded videos in the forums Control Panel and now my YouTube threads look like this:

SA:LR will still open an embedded video window if I click on the link but, until I do, it's not taking up any resources on my machine and I can see what every link is.

And now I can even view the previously lethal PYF <30 Second YouTube Vids without my machine falling over.

Probably not all the helpful to most people, but my computer is getting old now and I need all the extra resources I can spare. It's great not having to sacrifice my browsing experience too much while not having to worry about having as many crashes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Alereon posted:

What do people find useful about NoScript in addition to annoyance-blocking tools like uBlock or ABP? Scripts have been blockable by your filter subscriptions for 5+ years now.

I'm an image aggregator site junkie. These sites also tend to run a gazillion different scripts for no drat reason. Why do I need to run 60 different scripts just to see a picture of a kitten playing in snow?

If I visit one of those pages with NoScript off, the page takes forever to load, loads up random poo poo which uses up memory and has what seem like embedded windows to things like Facebook and Twitter so you can see every one of the 1000 inane comments of people commenting about dresses whatever image is on the page.

Sometimes blocking the script can break the page, like with embedded videos, but it's usually easy to see which script does that. If not, the "temporarily allow all scripts on this page" button handles that a treat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

RZApublican posted:

So which of these two uBlock forks is the one to use, gorhill's or chrisaljoudi's?

Graph from chrisaljoudi page which explains so goddamn much:

This is why poo poo kept loving up for me with my ageing computer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just updated to 37.0.1 and now when I select text on a page and drag it to the search bar it no longer automatically searches for me. I have to click the little magnifying glass icon like some sort of caveman.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just updated to 37.0.1 and now when I select text on a page and drag it to the search bar it no longer automatically searches for me. I have to click the little magnifying glass icon like some sort of caveman.

Answering myself here because I had absolutely no luck in fixing it, but I found an extension that works even better - Drag & Drop Zones

You can configure all your search engines into "zones" which overlay on your screen and appear when you select and drag text. Then you simply drop the text into the search engine zone you want to use.

Even works for images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Just a hunch but do you use the add-on Text Link?

I have one called Linkification that's similar, but I just turned if off and restarted Firefox and drag n drop to the search bar still doesn't automatically search for me.

Oh well, I like this new extension anyway.