Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

fivre posted:

Or, I could just raise the angry MOZILLA DOESNT CARE ABOUT LINUX PEOPLE banner. Every other broken Linux afterthought app does just fine on it.

You could, but you'd be completely wrong. The vast majority of Firefox devs run Linux. Windows ends up being closer to an afterthought than Linux does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Goober Peas posted:

I've created a new profile at least 10 times in the past year, which at least experientially points to...something?

I guess I'm hoping for a silver bullet that isn't 'create a new profile'?

The common theme here is you (or rather, something you're doing with Firefox), so figure out what that special, weird thing you do is, and then either stop doing it or file a report in bugzilla.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Keyboard Kid posted:

it uses around 1.5GB of memory, commonly have multiple flash streams/videos open at once, and I regularly put my computer to sleep (once or twice a day). Nothing seems to trigger a crash, it just kind of happens. The crash reporter doesn't have any info. This is on a fairly modern system - Win7 with SP1 and all updates,

32-bit Windows 7? Given everything else, I'd bet it's out of memory crashes.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Drevoak posted:

I'm looking for an addon that will help cut down on browsing random stuff and procrastinating. I'd like to basically have it so you can browse for an hour or two on any site and then it will lock it so you can only browse the sites that are whitelisted. LeechBlock works the other way around where you list the sites you want blocked and when to do so. I was hoping I could just use LeechBlock and tell it to block all sites with a wildcard but there doesn't appear to be a whitelist option to keep certain sites.

There is a whitelist option, just put a "+" before the URL in the sites to block list.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

xamphear posted:

I remain convinced that whoever at Mozilla decided to completely abandon per-process-tabs (a feature every single other browser has now) is a short-sighted fool.

They aren't; they just look like it to people who think they know how the project should be run despite lacking any technical understanding of what's involved.

Splitting things into seperate processes does not inherently improve performance - in fact, it carries significant overheads and substantially hurt performance (and even responsiveness!). Actually achieving good performance and responsiveness while things are running in separate processes also requires a number of other significant architectural changes. Those very same changes can also improve the performance and responsiveness while running in single process, without the added costs of communication between multiple processes. And that's exactly why the Electrolysis project was put aside for some time - at that point, it was actually a distraction from, not a benefit to, fixing the very issues you object to.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Pilsner posted:

I have ClearType disabled on Windows. Fonts look the same in Chrome. They look fine in IE, which I believe forces ClearType on.

Your fonts aren't being smoothed because you disabled it. What's the problem?

Edit: I mean, aside from the limitations of ClearType that drove you to disable it in the first place, of course, and the inability to selectively enable it for the fonts that depend on sub-pixel position to look remotely decent.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Running on 384MB is brutal because most of it's already being used up by the OS (on my HTC Sensation this came in close to 300MB, as I recall); going up to 1GB triples the RAM, but much more than triples the amount available to apps (and it's further helped on a tablet, because a decent chunk of that 300MB was phone-related stuff that doesn't run on a tablet). My Sensation had 564MB RAM available to the OS/apps, and it was plenty for running Firefox (it was too easy to get it pushed out when switching to other apps, though).

There were a few Firefox performance issues that I ran into that have since been fixed (particularly with the Awesomebar). At this point, I'd expect OG Nexus 7 performance with Firefox to be pretty reasonable.

Side note: NAND performance on some of the newer devices (notably including the Nexus tablets) is good enough to support a page file. Of course, they also come with enough RAM that it's not very important to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

That sounds more like you have a problem with your system storage device becoming unavailable.

I would agree on this but I'll point out that out of the four plus times I've run into the problem, only once has the drive itself been the problem (that one was an OCZ SSD :( ) - usually, it's the disk controller. If you've got your drives plugged into a Marvell controller, don't. Otherwise, if you can identify the disk that's hanging, try a different port.