Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

clockworkjoe posted:

Gmail is hosed up for me on Firefox 8 (windows 7 pc)

The body of each message is hidden. Same with the IM window. I logged in using chrome and it worked fine. What's going on?

Update your AdBlock filter subs - the same issue appears on Safari/Chrome as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yep, I don't like where firefox is going at all but fixing the interface isn't *too* hard (harder than it should be though.)

It only takes a single addon, Status-4-Evar. Don't even have to add themes.

Here's how my FF7 looks:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

Is that *actually* XP you're running in classic mode? No offense but I'm guessing that's why you're so attached to FF of yesteryear.

You're not alone, mind you, I used to change XP to classic until I got used to the "normal" XP start menu. I'm rather fond of the Vista/7 implementation too. Couldn't imagine doing it in classic.

It's Win7 actually. The start bar/menu has nothing to with the desktop theme either.
The other guy is correct about losing compositing and Peek (oh no.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Wouldn't necessarily call that good news per se. Seems to me like the best thing for Firefox would be if they lost all the bullshit funding to spend on management and side ventures and just went back to making a single good product.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Don't forget they'll also spend most of the money on releasing ports of FF for every single lovely Android device.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Disgustipated posted:

If you don't need the myriad of features that TabMixPlus offers, you can use about :config to change this behavior. Set browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent to False.

That's a different problem I think.
insertRelatedAfterCurrent means opening a link in a new tab appears next to the current tab. Setting it to false means it goes to the end.

What I think the question is actually about it creating a brand new tab. In FF there is no option, hidden nor otherwise, to make it appear next to the current tab.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

How hard would it be to make an extension that allowed middle click to open links in a new window behind the current?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Gmail... text buttons.

Oh my god, thank you!

Settings -> Icon Labels -> text.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ICA posted:

Looking for an extension / add-on, one which hides the mouse-over preview that occurs when you hover above a link. Are there any out there?

Status-4-Evar will do this if you would like a proper status bar the way god intended.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Considering that even most "power users" and IT people I know literally push the "Delay 4 hours" button on windows update for weeks at a time before finally restarting to install updates, I'd say that it's definitely too much effort for most users :sigh:

jeeves posted:

The vast majority of users are lazy and ignorant. Most people are scared of any pop-up that occurs on their screen, thinking it is a VIRUS! So a monthly Firefox update most likely gets cancelled the same way people will say no to a Java update on every restart for years at a time.

I think it's unfair to blame the users. Updates are annoying, badly implemented, and in a lot of cases break things and/or make the software worse. Arrogant designers make sweeping changes to the UI. Old things get get unexpectedly deprecated.

(This is not just a firefox issue here.)

If they want users to update, they should do it like Chrome, not that I condone that either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I see FF18 shipped with the slow-scrolling bug. :smith:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks for that.

Next problem: anyone else having issues with Flash? It's always either crashing or just plain failing to load.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maybe Mozilla should stop wasting its money on lovely smartphone OSes and then they could implement H.264 properly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I wonder how many of that 85% is for Status-4-Eva. :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Network42 posted:

Is there an extension that will switch to a tab when firefox looses focus? I'd like to improve my appearance of productivity at work, and I can't find one like this under piles of tech support search results.

This would be awesome. I'd use it.

Nothing like waiting for a compile to finish and reading something maybe a little unprofessional. Task completes, you switch back to your IDE/whatever. Someone comes to ask you a question and you go to your browser to check some research or an old email: BAM! Plastered right over your screen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Now that we finally have H.264 support, does anyone know of an Addon that implements click-to-play for HTML5 video/audio?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks. My addons hadn't updated for whatever reason.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is it possible for an addon to fix the lovely new icon?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

xamphear posted:

Why are HTTP Auth requests still presented to the user as pop up dialog boxes, that steal focus from other tabs, and lock you from doing anything else with Firefox until you type in the information and hit OK? Why don't these work like javascript alerts or use notification bars?

Is this problem fixed in Australis?

File picker dialogs as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Well we definitely won't be rid of flash until Mozilla stops loving around with the UI and makes a H.264/AAC decoder.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Removing the Addon bar entirely seems dumb to me.
Like someone at Mozilla just hates the fact that there's people out there using it as a status bar like it's 2005 again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

The maintenance burden for features only a tiny minority of people use is too great. It makes more sense to offload some of that complexity onto add-ons, since then Mozilla isn't on the hook for ensuring that every possible combination of configurations results in a working version of Firefox*.

They don't get to claim that when they turned a feature everyone was perfectly happy with (status bar) into something completely different that was turned off by default in a contentious update.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Seems like this dreadful progression of super-minimalistic UIs was designed for a growing audience of users with minuscule resolutions on their netbook screens which don't really exist anymore. So let's have our status bar and menus back.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's really all just guesswork anyway, I would argue that the reason Firefox is losing ground to Chrome is because they have been focusing their development efforts on the wrong things (Android, endless UI redesigns, minimising RAM usage, codec support for formats that nobody uses) rather than other things that more people might actually want (H.264, UI responsiveness, speed.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Alereon posted:

:siren:The derail regarding your hatred of change is over:siren:

You are allowed to have and express opinions about changes in Firefox. You are not allowed to worthlessly shitpost and derail the thread because you feel that all changes are automatically wrong because Firefox became perfect at some arbitrary point that happens to coincide with when you got used to the UI.

How dare people discuss the new Firefox release in the Firefox thread. Only opinions in favour of each change shall be allowed. All others are shitposts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Palemoon has a reasonable UI so in theory it'd be worth using for that alone.
In an ideal world there would be a continuously up to date fork of Firefox but until that day comes we're stuck with it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

dwarkanath posted:

I'm more concerned about that inevitable day they say the searchbar is useless from the data/metrics they've gathered (but usually don't show) and kill it. Because just like Chrome there are plans in motion to head towards a Omnibar.

It worked so well for Windows 8.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there any way to turn off the Sync error from losing internet connection?

Googled and checked about:config but there's nothing obvious there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FlashBlock doesn't really work anymore.

Apparently "Click To Play Per Element" will work, but I haven't been able to make it happen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There's a dev blog article (not the main blog article of course) that says that Classic Theme Restorer will be one of the addons that will be impossible in the new world order.
So really there's no reason at all to use Firefox anymore.

I hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and leads to a fork, but that didn't happen in 4.0 so who knows.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

I'm just a stubborn old gently caress who fears change:

Aero Glass and a combined back button/URL bar, huh? Some grognard you are!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Knormal posted:

Microsoft declared Silverlight dead in the water years ago, I really don't get why so many big companies still use it for streaming video. I hate Flash as much as anyone, but at least it's still actively maintained.

Not trying to defend using Silverlight as a video player, but it was only EOLed in 2013.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WinKey+Down Arrow. (How often are you relaunching firefox anyway?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

pik_d posted:

Is there an extension to change the forums breadcrumbs to the old style? I switched back from Chrome and that's one of the few things that bugs me about Firefox now.

Greasemonkey.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix SA breadcrumbs
// @namespace   Baduiq
// @description you know
// @version     int32Ver_Rev14
// @include [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==
var breadcrumbs = document.getElementsByClassName('breadcrumbs');
var breadcrumbTop = breadcrumbs[0];
var breadcrumbBottom = breadcrumbs[1];
breadcrumbTop.className = 'dearRichards';
breadcrumbBottom.className = 'yosposIntellectualProperty';
function nodeDeleteChildren(node) {
  node.innerHTML = '';
}
function nodeCollectLinkPair(node) {
  var childNodes = node.getElementsByTagName('a');
  var hrefPairs = [
  ];
  for (var i = 0; i < childNodes.length; ++i) {
    var url = childNodes[i].href;
    var hrefName = childNodes[i].innerHTML
    hrefPairs.push([hrefName,
    url]);
  }
  return hrefPairs;
}
function breadedCrumbs(node) {
  var linkPairs = nodeCollectLinkPair(node);
  nodeDeleteChildren(node)
  for (var i = 0; i < linkPairs.length; i++) {
    var name = linkPairs[i][0];
    var url = linkPairs[i][1];
    var aElement = document.createElement('a');
    aElement.href = url;
    var txtElement = document.createTextNode(name);
    aElement.appendChild(txtElement);
    aElement.style.color = '#036';
    aElement.style.fontWeight = 'bold';
    node.appendChild(aElement);
    node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(' > '));
  }
  node.removeChild(node.lastChild);
}
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbTop.childNodes[0]);
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbBottom.childNodes[0]);

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It would be perfectly viable if the Mozilla Foundation didn't waste bucketloads of money on stupid bullshit.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Google Music seems to require Flash in Firefox which is annoying/punitive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Knormal posted:

When they switch to WebExt I really see a lot of the hardcore users moving over to whatever fork will inevitably appear to keep old extensions working, and if enough people do that then I don't see the extension writers redoing everything from scratch for the new API, which will lead more people to switch to the fork, and so on. I really think this could be the cause of another Firefox rising from Netscape's ashes situation.

This can only be a good thing. As everyone else has said, we don't need Chrome 2: Chrome But Worser Edition.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lum posted:

FF45 on Linux Mint 17.3

I run a dark GTK theme, unfortunately so many websites like to change the colour of the text in text-entry fields, but assume the background is still going to be white. Even when they don't, the dark text fields look odd on light coloured webpages

Is there a way to make text entry fields default to white again?

Unrelated, but I set a default bgcolor in Firefox and it's amazing how many major websites don't bother to set their own and just assume it will be white.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Milkman posted:

You can also just add Prebake to your block filters

http://liamja.co.uk/Prebake/

That site has the notice:

quote:

User Agreement
By using these filters, you are allowing sites to set cookies by default, without you first being notified, and are agreeing to allow the sites you visit to set cookies.
Only use these filters if you understand the implications of allowing cookies.

I don't think that's true, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

How do you turn off the new "Visit Site X" always appearing at the top of the list of suggestions in the URL bar?

VVV Thanks very much.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 21, 2016