Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Offered updates to Firefox 7 were disabled due to a bug causing some add-ons to disappear, which has a workaround available here. They'll resume pushing updates with Firefox 7.0.1, which I'm guessing should be out pretty fast. I'd recommend just downloading the update from the Firefox website, the problem is a non-issue if you're not a computer newbie walking into it without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

Wait, so is this a problem with 7.0 in general, or is it only an issue if it was installed via the updater?
I believe the issue is with 7.0 in general, that if you update from a previous version some of your add-ons might be hidden. The second link in my post is to a Mozilla add-on that will unhide them. Note that this is different from the update disabling incompatible add-ons.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tunga posted:

I run Aurora, not gernerally to submit bugs (see earlier discussione) but just because I like to see what is coming. And honestly it's pretty drat stable, I generally have no issues with it.

Only thing is, I have no idea what has changed with each release. Is there a compiled list of notes somewhere? I'm not expecting one for every minor release but when 8 roles to 9 it'd be nice to see what I've gained so I can try it out. I know it's not like the old days but surely each version brings some kind of new feature?
The Burning Edge covers when notable features land in trunk. There's also the Firefox Release Tracking page with a more high-level overview. The actual release notes themselves are pretty lacking.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I've been running betas, nightly builds etc as my primary browser since version 4. Just wish they'd get the UI off the main thread. If that makes sense?
They're working on that under the Electrolysis project, the early results of which were to break out plug-ins into their own separate process (plugin-container.exe). Unfortunately Mozilla's development process doesn't really allow outsiders to follow along because it's so bug/mailinglist-centric, so it's hard to track the progress.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GarlicPepper posted:

I've noticed now that when I have a Youtube play list playing on fullscreen the video will revert back away from fullscreen in between videos. Before I upgraded to 7 the videos would remain in fullscreen without me having to do anything. Is this a Firefox issue? I also recently upgraded flash.
I just tested and I'm seeing the same thing in Chrome so I'm guessing it's a change to Flash.

Edit: Flash 11.0.1.152.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 12, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zhentar posted:

That's not quite what Electrolysis is (although it is necessarily a part of Electrolysis, it can be done completely independently of it, and they have been making some progress on it over time).
Can you clarify how Electrolysis is different from what I described so I know where I misunderstood? My understanding is that Electrolysis is the overarching project to break more and more tasks out of the main Firefox process. The first phase of this project was Out Of Process Plug-ins, the next phase is Out Of Process Tabs (which he was asking about), and finally multiple processes per tab. I'm basically going off of the document I linked, which is clearly over a year old. Sadly the bug you linked is basically completely incomprehensible unless you're already a Mozilla developer.

On that note, I really wish Mozilla would find some way to deal with their Netscape-era development practices that make the project so horribly inefficient. They KNOW that Bugzilla is a black hole where filed bugs will never be looked at by anyone and where patches languish years waiting for reviews, yet all they seem to do about it is schedule bug days to sprint through a portion of the backlog, and they often still have more bugs at the end of the bug day than at the start. I see plenty of posts on Planet Mozilla from people recognizing the nearly insurmountable barriers to becoming a Firefox contributor, and they have a contributor engagement team, but things seem to keep getting worse with time.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 13, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Daynab posted:

Silly aesthetic question but, is it possible to have a "background" instead of the white for blank/loading pages? It's mainly cause the bright white is hard on my eyes sometimes. I already have a dark theme for everything else, so I'm just wondering.

e: and/or a way to dim the default white (I realize I could gently caress with my monitor but it's perfect for everything else)
Firefox, Options, Content tab, Colors button, Background Color.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I have this problem with watching videos on blip. It might be other websites like that, but for the moment it's just this. Whenever I watch a random video, there's this distortion that randomly pops up. These black squares would show up all over the video. Is this a problem with Firefox? Does anyone else have this happen to them too? I was told to update my plugins, and I have and the problem is still there. Does any other web browser do this? Can someone help me out here?
I haven't seen this problem, but I don't watch things on blip.tv. If you're sure you've got the latest version of Adobe Flash, then update your video drivers. Flash uses the hardware acceleration offered by your video drivers for decode and rendering, so old drivers can cause graphical issues.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I just tried to do that and it said that the best drivers were already installed.
What videocard do you have? You have to actually go to the video chipset manufacturer (AMD, nVidia, Intel) website and download the current drivers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GarlicPepper posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with Firefox becoming sluggish after running for about eight hours?
I generally leave it running all day without issues. It might be that a plug-in is misbehaving and consuming a lot of CPU, or it could be due to memory usage. Try going to about :memory and clicking the "Minimize memory usage" button, if that helps memory was probably the issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zhentar posted:

If it's sluggish due to high memory usage, it's a safe bet that the minimize memory usage button won't fix it. It generally gets sluggish because there's too much that the garbage collector/cycle collector won't fix, in which case the indicator is just a very high memory usage (or just memory usage that considerably increases over the the time it takes to become slow).
Yeah but hitting the button manually (especially tapping it a few times) can be more effective than just waiting on GC/CC, especially since there are optimizations to skip/reduce the frequency of GC in certain situations to improve responsiveness. It's not as good as a restart by any means but it can buy you time or help you locate a problem.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bieeardo posted:

Has anyone noticed Aurora not handling cookies properly over the last few days? I can stay logged into SA with no trouble, but Twitter and other forums consistently log me out even when I tell them to remember me. I tried clearing the cache and deleting my cookies, but whatever's happening is persistent.
I haven't noticed that, I'd try renaming your cookies.sqlite file and letting it generate a new one, it could be a database issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Mike Shaver has a post up on Planet Mozilla about JavaScript performance, the interesting part is that he mentioned that Mozilla CTO (and JavaScript inventor) Brendan Eich demonstrated yesterday at the SPLASH conference an H.264 decoder written in JavaScript decoding video in realtime (30fps) on a laptop CPU. Another interesting aspect of this is that the JavaScript was translated from a C library using an automated tool, Emscripten, which compiles LLVM to JavaScript.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I recently updated to ff8 b5 and it seems like it's unresponsive to clicks sometimes, like sometimes I have to double click twice? What's up with that?
In any particular area? I have that when rapidly closing tabs in the tab bar, I think I recall reading that it was intentional to prevent people from accidentally closing multiple tabs by double-clicking. I'm using Aurora 9a2 though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zenzirouj posted:

Has anyone else had a problem recently with Firefox hanging for 10-30 seconds every 10 or so minutes? This probably started within the past two weeks. It just goes unresponsive and looks like it's freezing, but then after a little while it will look like it's quickly closed and reopened, but nothing will have changed.

I don't have many addons and I've tried disabling them successively with no change. The only thing I can think of that would have changed is a new version of Firefox.
That usually indicates Firefox is hanging while trying to write something to the profile. I'd run Crystal Disk info just to be safe and verify that none of your harddrives show Caution (which would mean they are failing). If that shows Healthy, back up your bookmarks (Bookmarks menu, Show All bookmarks, Import and Backup, Backup, select location) and any other browser data you care about, then try using a program like CCleaner that can compact your SQLite databases. If even that doesn't fix it, try making a new profile.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It's been found that Live Bookmarks use far more memory than anyone had previously suspected, and that deleting them makes a pretty substantial difference (and may make an overall performance difference due to SQLite I/O). If you go to the Bookmarks Menu and select "Show All Bookmarks" you'll get the Bookmarks Manager, click on "Bookmarks Toolbar" on the left side, then delete the "Latest Headlines" live bookmark. They're going to stop adding it by default in Firefox 10, but it will still be in already existing profiles until users delete it or make a new profile.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

It is a bit silly when they have the retirement dates for 8 and 9 mapped out already, if you go by Wikipedia.

Seems like they're just drawing a line in the sand, and going with whatever the most stable nightly is at that time, planned out. Curious, especially since it's not really a race. I won't argue the version numbers as such, because that's pretty tired.
They're on a planned six week release cycle, so they keep track of what features they're working on and have them planned for a particular version. For the last six weeks, they've been working on features planned for Firefox 10, which are landed on the nightly branch as they're completed. If features aren't ready in time to make the cut-off, like SPDY protocol support for example, they're pushed back to the next version. At the end of the six week cycle, the current nightly build becomes the current Aurora build and undergoes six weeks of testing. After that it undergoes six weeks of Beta testing, with a Release Candidate build being designated once they think they have something ready for release. If no snowstopper bugs are found, that build gets released.

The key is that they're not just developing Firefox at their own pace then shipping a snapshot every six weeks regardless of what has changed, each version is managed separately as a six week block of development time with its own milestones and features planned. I think that as Firefox users we're seeing new features and enhancements faster than we did before, though this is an area they could also improve on communicating to users, as the "What's New?" pages historically haven't been very informative. They do have people working on better communicating changes between versions in the release notes. There's also less breakage of add-ons because the incremental changes are easier to track by developers. It's not as easy to use add-ons that aren't hosted on Addons.Mozilla.Org or actively updated, but reality is that Mozilla has solutions for that (automated compatibility testing and version bumping) that add-on authors just aren't using.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Atrocious Pirate posted:

uuhh should i be worried? :raise:

Not particularly, they just use a cheap and lovely webhost.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Any further word on if Mozilla is actually serious about providing an enterprise build with slower releases with version 8? Everything I've seen is a couple months old. Figured they would announce something last week...
Firefox 10 will be the first Extended Support Release. See the November meeting notes for the Enterprise User Working Group. If you care, you should probably at least join the mailing list, as they are finalizing the ESR plans now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't know, when I have Adblock Plus running, Firefox freezes every few seconds. The CPU goes up to 30% and more just sitting idle. When I disable ABP, it doesn't. I'm also seeing massive RAM usage, about 50% more than in Firefox 7 (I'm on 9 beta atm).
That definitely shouldn't be happening, try it with a clean profile. Also check for third-party plugins in the Add-Ons manager and disable or uninstall any you don't use or want, they can really hurt things and may not be removed with a clean profile. Non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/Internet security programs are also a huge problem, so uninstall any you have and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 17, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

Is there a setting/extension to get private browsing mode to not read any cookies, like the ones made from non-private browsing mode?

Basically I'd like private browsing mode to act like a temporary equivalent of clearing all of my cookies
Isn't that how private browsing works now? I just tested and I wasn't logged in on any sites I visited. Are you sure you're not seeing the effects of plug-in cookies, which don't have anything to do with the browser?

Bonus Edit: Good news for testers: Add-ons will be made compatible by default on Nightly and Aurora builds, meaning no more having to mess with prefs or other extensions to get add-ons working when you update.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 17, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

NihilCredo posted:

Pale Moon is also available in x64.
The x64 version is rather slow though, as it's built without even the optimizations Mozilla uses (because his workstation is the only x64 machine he has and build times are too long...). If you want a faster Firefox experience, you might check out Aurora. I haven't had any problems with things breaking (aside from add-ons on release day, and that should be fixed before the next release), and new features like Type Inference and the results of the Memshrink project make a difference.

Bonus Edit: There's a post from Mark Finkle up on Planet Mozilla about the new native UI for Firefox Mobile for Android, which should be appearing starting with nightly builds on Wednesday the 23rd. They've re-written the XUL-based UI with native Android widgets, in order to improve performance and memory use on mobile platforms. This also adds support for Adobe Flash. Since startup time, memory usage, and Flash support are the top 3 complaints about Firefox Mobile on Android, this should really make a difference once it reaches users.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 18, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I was here earlier in the thread about weird distortions on videos I watch on blip.tv or whatever other videos, and I was told to try to update my drivers on my computer, well I tried and it said that the best drivers were already installed. I tried updating my plugins and disabling others, and yet the problem persists. I really don't know where else to ask, but is there anything I can do?
I'd recommend posting a thread in the Haus of Tech Support, make sure you use the template in the sticky Rules thread and include your system specs. It sounds like your video drivers need to be updated and you'll just need help figuring out what drivers you need.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

jeeves posted:

Is v8 the one that has an x64 version or what?
Mozilla hasn't released official x64 builds yet. You can download x64 nightly builds here, I think the general consensus right now is that the loss of compatibility for binary add-ons isn't worth it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Wat addons are you missing?

There are official release 64 bit Java.and flash builds and a 64 bit silverlight release.
I think this would break games, add-ons from antivirus programs, Adobe Reader, and various other add-ons with binary components. Granted many people can get along without these add-ons, but I think they want to avoid a whole bunch of people who don't know any better wondering why all their stuff stopped working, as well as bitching from vendors. They get enough heat whenever they block a Skype/McAfee version for being a crashy piece of poo poo.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

me your dad posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but I downloaded 8.01 yesterday and now I have no back buttons:

Is there a fix for this? I found some info online saying Adblock and Firebug can interfere with navigation, but I disabled them with no success.
Go to View, Toolbars, Customize. You should see all of the various buttons and UI elements available and be able to drag them around to place them.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Kild posted:

Anyone know why twitch.tv/justin.tv are broken in firefox? None of the embeds are there. I tried removing all addons, reinstalling firefox and it's up to date.

Looks fine here. Try a new Firefox profile, uninstalling/reinstalling really doesn't change anything so never makes a difference.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Dark One posted:

Are there any known issues with Firefox and AMD drivers? I updated mine and now the text in the address bar and tab titles is all weird and unpleasant.

Restarting Firefox should fix that.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bootstrap Beefstud posted:

Are there any particularly important plugins which won't work with Pale Moon 8.0 64-bit?
Keep in mind that Pale Moon 64-bit is compiled without important optimizations (because his main computer is the only 64-bit machine he has and optimized compiles take too long...) so it can be slower than the official 32-bit Firefox builds (and is definitely slower than Pale Moon 32-bit).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Mozilla has run into an interesting problem: The Firefox codebase is now large enough that it can't be built on 32-bit machines because linking needs more than 3GB of RAM. They discovered this when a large patch suddenly broke compilation, and they've had to do a panicked backout of several features (including SPDY :() to get things building again. The solution is to switch all their build machines to 64-bit operating systems, but this is going to take awhile. In the meantime people are frantically scouring for old code that can be removed to buy time while they get 64-bit boxes up.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Note that this is just about making their build machines 64-bit, they're still using a 32-bit compiler and producing 32-bit builds. The issue with making a release version of Firefox that's 64-bit is the compatibility problems. Flash, Java, and now Silverlight might be ready, but there's still people out there using Shockwave, Real, Quicktime, etc. Even if both builds are available, you'll still have people downloading the wrong one and flooding SUMO to ask why Bonzi Buddy doesn't work.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Firefox now just a big lumbering dog? I mean... per-tab processes, UI responsiveness, memory handling, all not great.

As has been said, Electrolysis has been going on for years - I know it's a massive undertaking, but how about some results? Every Firefox release since version 1 apparently has a more responsive UI, which isn't really borne out in my experience.

Memory handling is better in the latest releases after v7, but to be honest what I want more than anything is the UI responsiveness of Chrome.
The UI Is pretty responsive for me, you have Windows 7 in Aero mode and a DX10 videocard with current drivers, right? Chrome has lower memory usage with a small number of tabs, which makes it decent for light usage, but Firefox scales far better when you have a few tabs open. You might want to try a brand new profile without any add-ons if you haven't done that in awhile.

pseudorandom name posted:

If only they had some sort of mechanism to host plugins outside of the main process...
That's how plug-ins work now (plugin-container.exe), not sure why you think this would help.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 14, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah running Windows 7 with SP1 with Aero on and Hardware Acceleration enabled and current GPU drivers, and I frequently hose my profile and just import bookmarks and then install extensions I always use, 10 of them. I'm on an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM. Is this considered to be a complete heap of poo poo these days?
I'm betting the problem is with one or several of your extensions. I'd start with a clean profile, make sure you don't have any Live Bookmarks (like the "Latest Headlines..." livemark) unless you can't live without them, and see how performance feels. Maybe add a few extensions you know won't slow things down (like SALR).

In general, anything that causes poor performance with near-random disk I/O will also seriously affect Firefox. This can mean a failing harddrive (run Crystal Disk Info), heavy fragmentation (run MyDefrag), or lovely antivirus software (use Microsoft Security Essentials and not lovely third-party tools).

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 14, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, the extensibility of Firefox is its biggest downfall. The big problem is that there's no way for a user to know if an add-on they're installing is going to poo poo up the browser, they tried to do a performance rating thing awhile back that was moderately successful, but add-on authors sperged out like they were being convicted of a crime and forced them to pull it. Live bookmarks use a shitton of memory, but if they're useful enough to you to make that worth it, it's all good.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
More good news: Mozilla and Google have renewed their search agreement for another three years. Most of Mozilla's revenue comes from Google, and there was a lot of FUD bouncing around in the media that Google wouldn't renew their contract because they were somehow "competitors" now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
They need funding to operate, they're still making Firefox and pushing forward on web standards, I don't know what more you could want.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bieeardo posted:

Okay, this is a little odd. I just got a big 19 meg Aurora update, and now bare images are shown centred against a grey background, instead of left-top justified against a default white background. I haven't changed any addons (though TMP updated at the same time). Anyone know if there's a way to change this back to the old default?
This is now the behavior as of Firefox 11 and there is no setting to change back. You can use the ImageTweak extension to change the background color behind the image, according to comments in the bug.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

NOTinuyasha posted:

Also, plenty of alternative browsers are on the App Store, Opera for example.
Opera Mini (which is not Opera) gets around the browser ban by doing all the browsing and rendering on their servers then sending content to your device, which is a pretty lovely kludge.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

TwoKnives posted:

Is that similar to what the Fire does? What makes it lovely?
The SILK browser on the Fire just acts as a Proxy, which slows things down but doesn't break them. Since Opera Mini is actually rendering pages on their remote server then essentially sending you a screenshot of the rendered page, pages with active content don't work in addition to the slowdown.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Magic Underwear posted:

Give me a break. You don't see Chrome or IE using 700 megs of memory. Firefox is uniquely bad at memory management, has been for as long as I've been using it. They've made improvements, yes, but don't trot out this apologist bullshit, as though we should feel lucky that it can render a webpage at all.
This is simply not factually true. While Firefox may have used a lot of memory in the past, every independent test shows that it scales its memory use better than other browsers. If you have several tabs open, Firefox will use less memory than Chrome or IE. Here's benchmarks from Tom's Hardware confirming this (make sure you look at the Windows bars). If you're seeing something different, it's probably because of the add-ons you're using, or an old profile with poo poo that shouldn't be there.