Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I love the alt text from the article about the feature:

quote:

Two hand-drawn diagrams, with the first labeled “Without Site Isolation, we might load both of these sites in the same process :( ”. Two browser windows with partially visible sites “attacker.com” and “my-bank” partial site, are loaded in the same process - process 16. On top of the banking window, there is a cartoon face that looks happy, personifying the browser. The attacker site window contains a face that is looking at the banking window, with a mischievous smile. In the second diagram, labeled “Attacker.com executes a sophisticated attack”, we see the same two browser windows loaded in process 16 and a 1 column table labelled “memory where my-bank’s data is stored in process 16” underneath the banking window. It has two entries: “credit card info” and “login password”. A hand extending from the malicious site reaches toward the table (aka memory of the second window), signifying that the malicious site is able to access sensitive data belonging to the banking window because it is in the same process. The personified browser character is looking towards the malicious site, and exhibits feelings of concern and worry, with exclamation marks floating around the face.

quote:

Two hand-drawn diagrams, with the first labeled “With Site Isolation, we will load these sites in different processes”. It shows two browser windows, one https://www.attacker.com , loaded in process 5, and https://www.my-bank.com loaded in process 16. On top of the banking window, there is a cartoon face that looks happy, personifying the browser. In contrast, the webpage area of the https://www.attacker.com window, contains a face that is looking at the banking window, with a mischievous smile. In the second diagram, labeled “Attacker.com tries to execute a sophisticated attack”, we see the same two browser windows. There is a 1 column table labelled “memory where my-bank’s data is stored in process 16” underneath the banking window . It has two entries: “credit card info” and “login password”. A hand extending from the malicious site tries to reach towards the table (aka memory of the banking window), but is unable to reach it, due to the process boundary. The face of the malicious site is frowning and looks unhappy, while the face, representing the browser, continues to look happy and carefree. The second window’s data is safe from the malicious site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'd first suggest checking for a misbehaving browser extension or a lovely third-party antivirus.

e: removed redundant part

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bewilderment posted:

My Firefox has just, mid-session, stopped resolving websites when other browsers and web applications had. This is pretty weird. Doesn't seem to be any addons fault, either - disabling them all got the same result.

What happens if you set Firefox to use a different DNS over HTTPS provider?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Are Firefox or Windows is running a dark theme? That's how many sites like to implement dark mode.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

GMail wasn't loading messages properly today, purging ublock origin's filter cache and updating filter lists seems to have fixed it.

Same.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

usually intentional... usually.

Especially after there were generations of security controls that prevented users from accepting the download dialog right away.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I've had mine manually set to Consolas for ages; I'm glad Firefox is catching up.

What I'm trying to say is to give it a chance, if you haven't yet.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Check your userChrome.css tweaks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Truga posted:

dunno how it is on chrome, but in firefox youtube runs butter smooth on my desktop, but on my 5yo laptop it can get a bit wonky, and playing videos starts the fans so i usually use mpv to play it despite the videos themselves playing fine

also at work i have a very old imac that's only still in use because it has a nice screen, and youtube is basically unusable. videos themselves are fine and play smoothly, but everything else chugs so badly it's insane. just the cookie popup takes like 5 seconds to resolve

Is hardware acceleration enabled or disabled for the browsers it's performing poorly in? You can check under about :support -> Graphics section -> Features -> "Compositing"

There's also a "Decision Log" near the bottom of the Graphics section which should show why it chose that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That looks more like they're a/b testing a new design than anything else. Most likely nothing to do with Firefox.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's a network filter though and would not explain why disabling cosmetic filtering restored it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did the most recent update set anyone else's default search to bing?

Not I.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

101 posted:

I've never seen that in my life

And if I did I would make a sincere effort to never see that site again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, but where the hell is 105.0.2? It's been nearly half a day already.

Something exciting on the way?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Unity being the (formerly) Ubuntu graphical shell? Condolences.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

Yea it's probably time to upgrade the OS again, I've been putting it off. Turns out waterfox classic is no longer getting security updates so I'll have to jump ship properly rather than using this hacked up 20.04.

I know it sounds like a contradiction, but I'm both greatly irritated by Firefox's constant tweaking of the UI while also being disappointed in how the Gnome desktop still works every time I try it, trapped in a shinier version of win95's sensibilities. It's been a few years, might have to give it another go...

If you haven't tried KDE Plasma lately, I highly recommend it.

There are a lot of screenshots at https://kde.org/plasma-desktop/ and, of course, just about everything is customizable.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BBcode video embeds are disabled for now to work around this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

They posted in the technical issues thread. It turned out to be an addon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SA uses "Roboto", so if you don't have it locally installed you could see if doing that fixes it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

Oh joy, firefox's UI got modernized again for me. /s

All of the menus (eg. menu bar and context both), are now rather "bubbly" with rounded corners and dead space, and need more mouse movement to select the first option. Any ideas on how to disable this?

Can you post a screenshot of what you're talking about?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

quote:

How do I remove "synced tabs" from history menu?
https://support.mozilla.org/si/questions/1415463

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The default option in Firefox is to block autoplay with sound, meaning videos without sound can autoplay.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Well, that's dumb. But all videos start off muted anyway and some of them autoplay, sound or not. And like I said, there are videos that don't autoplay in one post but do in others even though it's the same file from the same source.

Also some videos automatically have controls visible and others don't for some reason. It's a total mess.

On SA, gif-like videos don't have controls or audio; they're just video GIFs. That's stuff like imgur's "gifv" and gfycat's "gfy". Direct-linked mp4s from other sites don't autoplay, but have controls (so you can click play).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'd recommend having that bail out after a while so it doesn't keep looking for new videos indefinitely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Antrodemus posted:

Question for the Firefox experts here (I am not one):

I was browsing earlier today, and Firefox randomly (with no prompting, but when I was loading a new page) downloaded a 0kb html file with a name consisting of random letters and numbers - the download library says it's a 'moz-safe-about resource.' I deleted it immediately and have been doing some searching to try and figure out what this was, but r/firefox is still shut down. What little I can google seems to indicate that it's not a big deal, and a full antivirus scan didn't turn anything up, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of similar issues?

People have reported having that issue on SA, and at least in those cases it sounded it was related to embedded video frames (like youtube).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Webpages should not take 10x as long to load in Firefox. Are you using a lot of extensions? Is your browser up-to-date? Have you tried a fresh browser profile?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Meanwhile I'm over here wanting to make the "Middle click the new-tab button" behavior the default new-tab button/ctrl+t behavior.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Atopian posted:

Messing around setting up kubuntu and I'm finding that the true constants across OSs are people trying to avoid firefox updates and the devs making that as hard as humanly possible.

You'd think at some point they'd take a look at themselves and what they're doing and ask "why are so many people willing to spend so many hours trying to get us to Stop, to Just loving Stop?"

Seriously, I started learning about how to prevent this automatic update thing because of firefox, but when reading general/overview information articles and guides about it, they almost all used "prevent firefox updates" as their example, so everyone else is in on it too.

Please at least install the ESR version instead of turning off updates entirely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Atopian posted:

I don't really mind what UI style is used, as long as it stays consistent.
A web browser, like an OS or a productivity app, isn't an end in itself, it's a means by which I achieve my ends. As such, I don't have a of of time and patience budgeted for relearning UI properties / tricks / etc. Its purpose is to stably and reliably help me get things done that I actually want/need to do.

However, there seem to be a lot of people who disagree with this and wish to make regular changes.
That would be completely fine if they didn't go:
i) We will bundle UI changes with security updates
ii) We will make updates automatic and compulsory because of security.

If you get Firefox ESR, you only have to deal with any UI changes once a year or so while still getting security updates.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr

astral
Apr 26, 2004

They'll figure out server-side ad insertion eventually.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

quote:

security updates will be provided before Firefox release

Bold claim.

also

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Never lastpass.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jokes posted:

I hate tech so much

Nitrousoxide posted:

AI, Pocket, and layoffs, my favorite things!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Good lord, Youtube is now forcing autoplay regardless of previous setting and even removed the option to disable it entirely. This sure is yet another addition to the awful experience at that hellsite and make it even worse for no good reason.

Surely someone has come up with some script/filter trick?

Is the video you're watching by chance part of a playlist? They removed the autoplay toggle for that a long time ago, but regular videos are still fine, at least for me.

If not, gotta love a/b testing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Oh my god I just found out FireFox has a true, actual full screen mode on macOS now.
  • Enter :airquote:fullscreen:airquote: mode
  • Right click on the application menu (3 line burger menu in the upper right)
  • Select Hide Toolbars
Feel free to point and laugh if this is old news but I've wanted this forever.

Out of curiosity, is ":airquote:fullscreen:airquote:" pressing f11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wash bucket posted:

I mean the green full screen button on every window that turns into a maximize button if you hold down option. f11 shows the desktop.

macOS has always had a really odd full screen option for apps and windows that was never completely full screen. There was always a menu bar at the top and you could never get a true full screen view like you could by pressing f11 on Windows. But it looks like that's either changed or Firefox found a way around that. There used to be lots of stack exchange articles about how to do true full screen on Macs with a lot of hacky answers.

Edit: Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na11g6PXUpg

Just one of those things Macs are dumb about. Presumably because they thought dad would get stuck in a true full screen view and not know how to get out.

As someone who hasn't had a mac for many years, I appreciate the explanation!