Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
:siren:uBlock Origin is a much faster replacement for AdBlock Plus that supports ABP filters and is available for Firefox (including Mobile), Chrome, and Safari:siren: The uBlock dev quit, then came back a short time later and forked the project as uBlock Origin, this version is currently the most active
:siren:Enable Firefox Tracking Protection for 44% faster load times and vastly improved privacy:siren: Don't forget that you did this, if site features don't work right try disabling protection for that site by clicking the shield icon in the address bar. Breaks embedded tweets on SA

Useful Links
Firefox development and new feature status
SALR - Something Awful Last Read extension
Bugzilla - Mozilla's bug tracker. If you think you've found a bug, search here to see if other people have reported it.

Test Releases
Nightly
Developer Edition/Beta - Developer Edition releases are essentially alpha releases; but they are targeted for add-on and site developers for testing.

64-Bit Firefox Builds
Official x64 builds with equal or better performance to the 32-bit builds will be available starting with Firefox 41 42?
Note: Don't use special snowflake third-party builds (Waterfox, Pale Moon), you miss out on security updates and add-on compatibility due to the lovely changes.

Firefox is crashing/being slow/acting weird/using a lot of memory. How do I fix it?
  1. Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox and all extensions.
  2. Use https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to make sure all plugins are up to date (specifically, ensure Flash is current).
  3. Ensure that you have the latest graphics drivers. You may need to use beta drivers on AMD cards.
  4. If it's still weird, disable all extensions. If Firefox acts normal with all extensions disabled, re-enable extensions one by one until you determine the culprit.
  5. If it's still weird, try disabling 3rd party plugins (VLC, Flash, Java, etc.) (plugins are different from extensions!).
  6. If it's still weird, try recreating a new profile using the built-in Refresh Firefox feature. Test extensions one by one again.
  7. If it's still weird, manually create a new profile. Test extensions one by one again.
  8. If it's still weird with a new profile, uninstall and reinstall Firefox.
  9. If it's still weird after doing all of these things, post in this thread.

I want Firefox to prompt me to save my tabs when I exit!
Set browser.showQuitWarning in about :config to true.

Firefox 7+ no longer shows http:// or https:// in the address bar. How can I get this back?
Set browser.urlbar.trimURLs in about :config to false.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

I don't get the "interface" issues people have with Firefox. With just a few clicks, version 4/5/6 (and probably 7 and beyond) can look just like Firefox 3, 2, or whatever.
Put the tabs on bottom, put the status bar back, etc.

Yeah, I feel the same way. You can still get the performance/under-the-hood improvements by customizing the theme/userChrome.css if you really don't like the interface. But then again, I still don't understand how you can't like the interface. 4/5/6 is so much cleaner than 3.x.

My FF5 just auto-updated for 6. It's gone live!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

m2pt5 posted:

Is there a way to turn off the domain name highlighting in the address bar in Firefox 6? It's annoying.

Fake edit: This poo poo:

http://blog.ffextensionguru.com/2011/06/30/domain-highlighting-in-firefox-6/

1. In a new tab paste & go about :config into the address bar
  2. If needed…Click the I’ll be careful, I promised button.
  3. Filter for browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled
  4. Double-click to change the value to False
  5. Close the tab. Changes take effect immediately.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Were there any performance improvements in 6? I don't know if it's placebo, but 6 feels snappier than 5.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Waffnuffly posted:

Interesting - I hadn't heard of Waterfox before. How does it compare to Pale Moon?

I personally haven't used any 3rd party builds. They seem useful, though - enabling SSE/SSE2 and whatnot.

I just added Pale Moon and 2 others to the OP.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Golbez posted:

When the window is maximized.

Something like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/movable-firefox-button/ would solve the problem.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Toast Museum posted:

This doesn't seem to affect vertical space use. Even if you move the Firefox button, the tabs aren't inline with the minimize/maximize/close buttons except when Firefox is maximized.

Ah, you're right. So the problem seems to be that while the Firefox button is moving, the minimize/maximize/close buttons aren't moving because the tab groups dropdown shows up below them. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/782562 looks like a good place to start because they are messing with the minimize/maximize/close buttons in userChrome.css.

Metroid48 posted:

You need to use Adblock Plus to block the top ads (the bottom one can remain), it's a SA-specific problem. Speaking of which, this showed up frequently in the last thread; it might be worth noting it in the OP.

Good call!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

The Belgian posted:

Hey, I was wondering how safe firefox sync is, can anyone give me some more information?

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/sync/

Basically:
  • All communications between you and Mozilla are encrypted.
  • All your stuff is encrypted on their servers with a 32-character (including dashes) key. They don't keep a record of this key, and if you ever lose it, you can't ever access your data again.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lowclock posted:

I think you meant false.

Fixed!

Lowclock posted:

Nice, I didn't know there were other builds out there. I'm trying Waterfox and it seems pretty fast compared to vanilla. Maybe the 64-bit java link they have on their site should be in the OP too?

Good call.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Does anyone know of an ETA for e10s (tabs as separate processes)? It's the one thing they're pretty vague about on the roadmap that I really want to know more about.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

clockworkjoe posted:

I upgraded to version 6 on my windows 7 desktop and macbook pro laptop. I have fireftp on both computers and it no longer seems to work on either computer. What's weird is that the add-ons menu says Fireftp works but there's no firestp option in the tools menu.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled (restarting Firefox) but that didn't work.

Uninstalling and reinstalling FF itself rarely fixes the problem because the problem is usually your FF profile (which doesn't get removed when uninstalling). Try creating a new profile. Something is probably fubar.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

reboot posted:

Just installed Waterfox, and i don't notice any difference between it and the Firefox Beta. Are there any, besides it being "supposedly" faster?

The whole point of the 3rd party builds is to enable support for SSE, SSE2, x64, and possibly some other instruction sets while also turning on some compiler optimization flags that Mozilla doesn't enable when they compile for whatever reason. I don't believe there are any other differences (but I may be wrong). There probably isn't a noticeable difference except maybe on really JavaScript-heavy sites.

Does anyone know of any comparisons done between vanilla FF and Pale Moon or Waterfox?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

kapinga posted:

Pale moon makes a few additional changes, which he details here. Notably, he makes some UI changes in Palemoon 4.0+, to bring back a few features from 3.x (status bar, tab location I think). I run Pale Moon, but I actually went through the trouble to revert the look to stock Firefox.

Also, third party builds are not compatible with Firefox Sync (Mozilla's restriction). I suppose if you found a third party sync server, that would do, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Oh, this page is awesome. They have pretty extensive performance comparisons there. DOM and CSS performance improvements are pretty impressive.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

RBX posted:

So what's the word on fixing the constant hangs? very annoying it freezing and me having to close it out then restart it every 5 minutes. Google chrome just isnt the same.

Try creating a new profile? I don't experience this. It also may be a buggy extension.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Added font rendering stuff to the OP.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I've been experiencing an issue with FF locking up for 5-10 seconds occasionally. It usually happens if I go to View Page Info or View Image Info, and it also sometimes happens when I just click on links or bookmarks. Have any of you experienced this?

I'm using a new profile, and the only extensions I'm using at ABP, DownThemAll!, Firebug, Imgur Uploader, Scriptish, and TinEye.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Neu posted:

He's using a new profile, database information is all profile specific, so creating a new profile is better than vacuuming the sql lite database.

That, and I've already tried vacuuming all of the SQLite DBs. Didn't solve it.

[edit]
I just tried clearing the history/cache, and it seems to be working better for now. Hopefully that was the issue.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 21, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

All Else Failed posted:

This is probably the dumbest question ever, but I'm a relatively simple user of Firefox and have been for years. The newest version makes me livid, however, because it made the idea of keeping certain tabs open for days a pain in the rear end or unsuccessful with this "restore previous session" bullshit. Is there any way around this? I liked it when it prompted me to save tabs or not and that was that. I keep losing like 8 tabs that I never got around to and it's enough to make me want to jump ship or something, but I like the few extensions I do use and I'm pretty used to the new interface anyway.

Go to about :config, and enable browser.showQuitWarning.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Ryokurin posted:

Any idea when the merge is going to take place? I thought it was yesterday but I haven't seen a update yet.

Go to Help -> About, and FF will update.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Ryokurin posted:

The merge I was talking about was when 8 is promoted to beta, 9 to Aurora and so forth. It hasn't hit auto update yet but they finally did it this afternoon. I just got so used to the daily updates with Aurora it was freaking me out that it hadn't happened over the last 3 days or so.

Oh, oops, my bad! Misunderstood.

[edit]
7.0.1 just hit. My 7.0 just updated.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Anjow posted:

I don't have a loving clue what's going on. I am on a Mac, 10.7.1, was on FF 7.0 and all was well. I then updated to 7.0.1 and all of a sudden I can't view any sites - the browser just doesn't make an attempt to load them. I tried 8.0.1 beta and it's the same. I went back to 7.0 and it's the same. Tried disabling all addons to no avail, also rebooted. Chrome and Safari work fine, as do my other internet-using programs. Anyone know how the hell I can use firefox once more? This is really annoying me.

Try creating a new profile. The fact that all versions are hosed tells me it's not FF, it's your profile.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Isurion posted:

When I update to a new Firefox version, will it save the tabs I currently have open?

This seems dumb but it's the only thing that has kept me from upgrading.

Yes.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Gotcha. You noticing much in the way of speed improvement in the new version?

There are a ton of very noticeable speed improvements. Every version since 3 has gotten faster in some way. 7 flies.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
You guys have the latest versions of Flash?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Zhentar posted:

Multi-threading can be (and typically is) done within a single process. Splitting processes as in Electrolysis carries some significant benefits (reduce the scope of what's affected by crashes, improved security from restrictions on what can cross processes), but it also adds a lot of complexity to the development and adds a lot of overhead when things in different processes have to communicate with each other.

Mozilla could, with comparative ease, distribute more work onto background threads within the same process, and allow greater responsiveness from the main UI thread. In my experience/opinion, Firefox's only significant remaining disadvantage compared to a certain other browser is the smoothness; even after many years of supposed improvements Firefox still stutters very frequently.

Yeah, same thing. I really really want tabs as separate processes. In fact, if I had it my way, I'd tell the FF dev team to stop everything they're doing, and only work on tabs as separate processes. I think it's that important. Web pages are getting more and more JS-heavy, and a really complicated page can lock up the entire browser for a second or 2. Looking at individual tabs, I don't think there's really a speed difference anymore between Chrome and FF, but looking at the browser as a whole, Chrome is definitely faster since one tab loading won't hold up the others.

Is there any public discussion on the progression of tabs as separate processes? I know this was talked about as a big priority several years ago, and they got everyone all excited with plugin-container.exe, but then they just seemed to have stopped working towards splitting tabs into separate processes. The Electrolysis wiki page is extremely outdated.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Zhentar posted:

To a large extent, it won't in Firefox either. Relatively few things require blocking the main thread, and those still won't necessarily block other tabs from continuing to load in the background. I think that now the most noticeable thing that will block the main thread is garbage collection, which can really stutter things up if it's working too hard.

This is a very :nws: example, but http://www.myfreecams.com/ locks up the entire browser when it loads. It happens as it's downloading all of the pictures (I do have pipelining enabled), but while it's downloading those images, I can't switch tabs or do anything else in FF except wait for them to load. Contrast this with Chrome which will allow you switch tabs at your heart's content while the page is loading. I've noticed similar behavior on really image-heavy tumblr sites.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

I didn't see it mentioned the past few pages.

Gmail's new look is just absolutely terrible on Firefox 7. It seems to work just fine under IE (9) and Chrome (15).

It looks fine, but performance is bad. Really bad. Slow, choppy animations for everything.

It works just fine for me (7.0.1). Try clearing your cache and checking for any weird extensions.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

I tried clearing my cache, cookies, everything.
With ALL extensions disabled (no Themes, no userChrome.css), it still performs like crap.
However, when I start Firefox in "Safe mode", Gmail performs way better. It says Safe mode disables all extensions, but it's obviously doing something more than that for Gmail to work so differently compared to a non-safe mode that also has all extensions disabled.

This isn't a profile issue, as it happens on multiple profiles and even on multiple systems (Windows, Mac).

It's not just me:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=5010559f7ebdb2d1
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=086271ff9f0b1529
http://www.skamid.com/web/new-gmail-interface-bad-performance/

I wonder if it has something to do with hardware acceleration. I bet safe mode doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled. Try disabling that to see if it fixes your issue (options -> advanced -> uncheck hardware acceleration). If it does, maybe try updating your graphics drivers (do that anyway).

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lazyhound posted:

Nightly Tester Tools won't let me force compatibility with a bunch of my extensions. Was there some major change to the extension system, or do I just need to wait on an update?

Check the OP.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

clockworkjoe posted:

Gmail is hosed up for me on Firefox 8 (windows 7 pc)

The body of each message is hidden. Same with the IM window. I logged in using chrome and it worked fine. What's going on?

Maybe a hosed up extension? Try disabling them all and re-enabling one by one.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Mozilla has announced today that the Electrolysis project, which aims to make Firefox a multiprocess application, will be put in pause for the foreseeable future.

Source.

I have awful problems with Firefox responsiveness. I think Adblock Plus causes most of them though. I can't even watch YouTube anymore without pauses every few seconds.

drat, I'm really sad to read this. I understand why, and I can't say I didn't see it coming since it hasn't been publicly discussed in well over a year, but it's still sad to see.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

The Merkinman posted:

Is there a setting/extension to get private browsing mode to not read any cookies, like the ones made from non-private browsing mode?

Basically I'd like private browsing mode to act like a temporary equivalent of clearing all of my cookies

Yeah, that's definitely how it works already.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Wiseblood posted:

Is anyone having trouble getting embedded Youtube videos to play? Videos embedded here with the video tag work fine, so the problem seems to be videos embedded with the iframe code. For example:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9092422

I see the title, and a play button in the center, but no preview image and I can't get the video to play. I'm having this problem on both my desktop and laptop using Firefox 8.0. I tried disabling Adblock and even tried safe mode and still can't get it to play. And it works fine in IE9.

Works for me (on 8.0). Try updating Flash?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

Mozilla has run into an interesting problem: The Firefox codebase is now large enough that it can't be built on 32-bit machines because linking needs more than 3GB of RAM. They discovered this when a large patch suddenly broke compilation, and they've had to do a panicked backout of several features (including SPDY :() to get things building again. The solution is to switch all their build machines to 64-bit operating systems, but this is going to take awhile. In the meantime people are frantically scouring for old code that can be removed to buy time while they get 64-bit boxes up.

Wow, that's nuts. I've never worked on a project that big. Anyone know how many lines of code it has? I could check it out via hg and wc -l myself, but I'm feeling lazy after my final this morning.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

todesschaf posted:

According to my count of files that have the extensions .cpp, .c, .h, .idl, and .ipdl (of which there are around 13000), mozilla-central has (does math since xargs had to run wc -l in 3 batches of files) 4912974 lines of code. Yes, that's basically 5 million, kids.

Keep in mind a few things on this: that includes tests and other things that aren't part of libxul (which is the library that until about 10 minutes ago was causing VS2005's linker to crap out on PGO builds). That does NOT include C++ code generated from the .idl and .ipdl files during the build, much (all? not sure) of which DOES become part of libxul.

If you want an ACTUAL LOC count, you have to include other file types, but none of those (unless I'm forgetting something) matter for the current issue, since they don't get linked into libxul.

Thank god I work on a module (netwerk/) that only has about 160KLOC...

Christ, that's a lot of code. I saw a security guy from MS give a talk at a conference a few years back, and I think I remember him saying Vista had 50-60 million lines of code. Pretty nuts.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Peven Stan posted:

I'm running the latest firefox release on Mac OS 10.7.2 and for some reason now every time I try to drag some text/ an item it crashes instantly. Is there a fix for this?

Do the usual - disable all extensions, see if it still crashes, and if not, re-enable your extensions one by one until you determine the culprit. If it crashes with all extensions disabled, create a new profile. Also, make sure you're running the latest version of FF with the latest version of Flash.

[edit]
Added a quick blurb in the OP to hopefully help people with wonky FF issues.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 17, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Dominoes posted:

Is there a known issue with Firefox crashes on Eyefinity/multi-monitor setups? I upgraded to a 3-monitor Eyefinity view about two weeks ago, and Firefox has been crashing about 5 times a day since. Hard freeze, and requires a ctrl+alt+delete to fix. It will usually restore the tabs after.

I have a dual monitor setup and haven't experienced anything like this.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

rolleyes posted:

I'm really hoping we get some focus on memory usage going forwards, this is ridiculous:

I am currently rendering a timeline in Premier and simultaneously transcoding some video for a DVD burn prep in Encore. Firefox somehow needs nearly as much RAM as both of those combined to display 1 window with 12 tabs in it. gently caress me.

Well, what are those 12 tabs displaying? Lots of picture? Video? You're still only using 69% of your physical memory, so what does it really matter? You've got the RAM, so why don't you want programs to use it?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

nexus6 posted:

Wow. I've been using Greasemonkey in Firefox for some time and I've recently started writing my own scripts. Today it has deleted all of my installed scripts and prevents me from writing my own anymore by doing nothing when I drag and drop them. If I use the 'New style' menu option, the file it creates can't be saved.

I've tried a new profile with only greasemonkey installed but it had the exact same issues.

If I can't find a way to fix this it might be enough to move me to Chrome, greasemonkey is one of my most essential extensions.

E: drat their google group is fast. These appear to be known issues in the latest Greasemonkey (0.9.14). Reverting back to 0.9.13 fixed this for now while these bugs are addressed.

You might look at Scriptish over Greasemonkey. They have some extra API calls that you might find useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Firefox 10 is live. I just autoupdated.