Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

NihilCredo posted:

Is there some option if I'm interested in keyboard-only browsing but don't want to deal with Vimperator's archaisms? Basically I'm fine with the existing shortcuts for almost anything, I would just like a keyboard-based way of clicking links, which is pretty much the only thing I still use a mouse for.

For info, Vimperator's developers moved on to Pentadactyl some time ago, so that's the best, most updated Vim shortcut based Firefox extension at present. I use it, but I like Vim, so I appreciate all the extra stuff.

It is actually pretty simple to set up Pentadactyl to only use the link hinting features you want, and turn off everything else, but that requires fiddling in the pentadacylrc config file.

2 other options are:

Vimium - A cut down, less intense version of Pentadactyl/Vimperator, recently ported from Chrome. It has the link hinting you want, plus a few other features. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vimium/?src=search
I've not used it on Firefox, but it works as well as the extension API allows it to on Chrome.

Use the built in search function to click links - It's rather clunky, especially once you've used the Pentadactyl/Vimperator link hinting features, but you could just use the built in page search feature (Ctrl-F) to search for the link text you want. When the right link is selected, hit escape to unfocus the search box and press enter to load the link that's selected.

There used to be an extension just for the feature you want, called hit-a-hint, but it's not been updated for ages and doesn't work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

crestfallen posted:

Using the current stable build of FF.

Gmail randomly decided to stop working on sunday. I checked it in the morning--great. Ran errands and crap. Come back in the evening, Firefox says it detected a problem with redirects or something. I either get an error page generated by Firefox, OR I get an error page from Google itself saying it "has detected a problem" and something about cookies.

I disabled ALL my add-ons and reset the security/privacy options to defaults and I still get either/both of those errors.
Anyone else?
First test in a new profile to see if it persists. If that fixes it, you can probably resolve the problem by disabling your addons and re-enabling one by one till it comes back. Which addons do you have? Likely suspects are things like https everywhere or privacy related stuff.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I just use this addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enter-selects/?src=search which hits down for me when I start typing in the address bar. Now you don't have to be annoyed at hitting down every time!
This is what the tab key's for damnit. No need to touch the arrows.

Also, I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This lands in Firefox 14 I believe. I may be mistaken.
Not sure what you mean, I've been using the tab key like this since before Firefox was called Firefox.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I see. I prefer thing how they are at present as hitting tab is 2nd nature, but I'm sure there will be a way to turn this off if you don't like it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lord of Sword posted:

All the alternatives I've tried don't have image resizing (diagonal drag resizes an image bigger or smaller or hides it completely). It's only one feature but I'm so used to it being there and it's the one I use most.
this right here is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Firefox 3.6 is slow, has a bunch of known (fixed) security issues and loads of other issues. Upgrade today and find a workaround for that feature. Why on earth is resizing images the thing you do most?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kapalama posted:

Because more people use software to do what they want to do.

I am still on 3.6 because I need Gmail Manager to work unconditionally.

There are known security issues with that version, using old browsers is not wise. I have no idea why the Gmail Manager extension is so important to you, but there are tons of alternatives for most purposes.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kapalama posted:

There are no alternatives that monitor all the account and log in to whatever account you click on in a GMail window that I have seen.

There are monitors and mail checkers, but then you have to log into that account to read the mail.
Well, how many gmail accounts are you using? I know it's possible to be logged into a google apps account and a gmail account at the same time, with the right options.

Failing that, is there some reason you can't use a separate email client for some / all of these accounts?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xander77 posted:

I couldn't find it in programs\firefox, and search-all files and folders couldn't find it at all :(

Anything else I could do?
You need to look in c:/Users/<yourname>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/profiles/<random profile folder name>

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

That's not true, plug-in click-to-play allows you to activate individual items for playback. For example, if you got to a lovely site with a bunch of Flash ads, you can activate only the video you want and not load the ads. Saving rules for sites allows you to activate all plug-ins, or just certain ones (Flash/Java).

Edit: It may have worked like you said at one point, you're right that that wouldn't have been very useful so I wouldn't have started using it until it switched to the current behavior. I feel like they started adding this in Firefox 14 but they added saving site preferences in 16 (I've also been on Aurora so long that it always feels like features were added 3+ months ago for me).

I'm on Firefox 17.0 stable, Windows 7, and I don't see any option to activate individual items, save rules per-site, or apply different settings for different plugins.

I can enable each flash embed separately my manually clicking on them, but there's no rules I can see.

Also, I have nightly installed too - I just checked that and still don't see any of the options you're talking about.

Can you screenshot the options you're talking about?
This is all I see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Seed posted:

Having the same slowdown/memory hog problem as you guys. Some dude on the official support forum says it's due to poor handling of flash, but I dunno. I've switched to Chrome temporarily until this is resolved.

You and Miyamotos RGB NES are both having totally different experiences to me - v18 has been the quickest and lightest Firefox I've used in the last 5+ years. Ram and CPU usage is down, there have been fewer freezes when switching tabs, and I've not had a crash.

I'm also a long time user, and I have the habit of opening tons of tabs at once, so either the difference is an extension going haywire, or a problem with flash.
I run a bunch of addons: Pentadactyl, Adblock Edge, Stylish, Lastpass etc, but I use the click to play option for all plugins, and have no plugins enabled at all other than Flash.

Maybe try that?

I have a fast home PC (latest gen i5, 16GB of ram, SSD, Ubuntu) & a slowish work PC (Core 2 Duo, 3GB, Win7). Firefox runs fine on both, whilst Chrome bogs down easily on the Win7 PC & runs great in Linux.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I dunno, I can describe what happens though, and this has been going on for over a year or so. I'd open a ton of tabs (really bad habit), sort of a way to remind myself to read something later or whatever. Anyway, "back in the day" I could have ridiculous number of Firefox tabs open; no joke, like over 200 of them at once, and my computer would not bat an eye. Now, if I am approaching anything close to 15 of them, my computer is partying like it was built in 1999.

I can force close Firefox (it gets so slow that just clicking a link on a page I am already on can take forever) and when it restarts again (after a good 3 minute wait) it will be fast as lightning. Even after having 30+ tabs open (forget about the old days of 200 of them though). However, after MAYBE one day of Firefox simply existing on my computer and it becomes a slow mess, even with only 1 tab open. Reboot the computer or force close Firefox and restart it, and it will be blazing fast again. A friend of mine with a similar PC reports almost the exact same thing as me. :(

As always, temporarily disable all plugins and extensions & restart --> does it still happen? If it's flash this should stop it. I use click to play for plugins, and perhaps that mitigates the issue a bunch.

What extensions are you running? There are some know offenders that leak memory.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I've had Firefox open on a machine for more than a month with 105 tabs and I have never seen this.
That's identical to how Firefox restores a session, though. Maybe an extension is unloading them?

I see this on my work PC, but I'm not sure if it's caused by low ram & lots of tabs (3GB and 100ish), or by a session with 100 + tabs being restored, and not all being loaded till I click on them.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Meldonox posted:

I've been considering going back to Firefox, mostly because the tablet interface is so much nicer than Chrome's. I was wondering, has anybody made the switch recently and found anything to gripe about? How robust is Firefox's sync comparatively speaking?

Sync works great for me, though there have been some server side problems in the last month that have meant things don't work for a day or two.

Other than that it's flawless. Also, the android app lets you share links (from any app) to open on any of your synced PCs.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

Go to about :config, set plugins.click_to_play to enabled. This prevents plug-ins from loading with a page, you will need to click an icon where the plug-in would be or in the address bar to load them. The big advantage is that you don't have to wait for plug-ins to load when you don't want them to, and significant security improvements. Your harddrive probably is the limiting factor though, clean the system up with CCleaner and run the MyDefrag System Disk Weekly script.

I'd actually recommend the flashblock extension over this, still.

The click-to-play option works OK, but on a bunch of sites I get the balloon popup saying there are plugins blocked on *every page* on certain sites, when I don't ever want to see that menu.

Flashblock works in an identical way, but the whitelisting works more nicely, and it never hassles me.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bugsy posted:

Is there a way to backup multiple different (home vs work) profiles with sync, or am I just stupid?

I'm only seeing 3 options, none of which I want to do. I can: merge with the already synced profile, replace this device's data with the previously synced profile, and replace the other profile with this device.

Sync isn't meant as a backup, it's for syncing the same data everywhere. If you want *different* data in your profile at work vs. your one at home, then you need to do use something else.

You may be able to use a selective sync (e.g. bookmarks only, addons only) to get some of what you want though.
If you're not sure what you're doing, manually backup your profiles and have a play first though.

There's an extension called FEBE that lets you export your extensions and settings. You can also simply backup your profile folders by copying the relevant folder from ~/.mozilla/firefox/<name of profile>/

I guess you could use firefox sync as a backup by simply using different accounts on each PC, though you wouldn't be able to sync anything between accounts that way.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Im_Special posted:

The LastPass guys are terrible with support with anything that isn't considered officially released, and when something does become officially released it can take them a few weeks to fix and release a new LastPass build. It's just one of the things you need to deal with and factor in if you like using beta and alpha browsers. I'm still not even sure if LastPass works with IE10 yet.

I wouldn't say they're terrible. Also, using an extension storing all your passwords in buggy alpha / beta browser is not the safest.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, I'm still not entirely convinced disabling hardware accel fixed it. It's better. But is it as smooth as Chrome? I've given up comparing videos for today, it's not a high priority issue for me anyway. We'll see. (maybe I'll start using a second browser as well, eh)

It's worth noting that Chrome has it's own, separate version of flash. Comparing Chrome to Firefox for flash video playback isn't comparing like with like, as it's probably a flash plugin problem.

Try going into the plugin options in Chrome and disabling the built-in flash PPAPI plugin, then try playing the same videos you're having problems with. If the still stutter, it's the flash plugin's fault.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ryokurin posted:

This is exactly why I wished that Mozilla stuck with their guns on notifying users that Plugin X can slow performance by 25% or more. They got as far as making a shame list, developers complained and they later caved. It's one of the main reasons why people still think Firefox is slow.

Don't worry, the adblock extensions on Chrome are at least as bad, and nothing I've found recently kills Firefox as badly as some of the more popular extensions kill Chrome.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Turhis posted:

Firefox updated to 23 and it seems that plugins.click_to_play doesn't work anymore or did they change something and didn't bother telling about it?

Edit:

They did change it without telling, you have to change it in Addon Manager to Ask to activate in Shockwave Flash.

It's still not improved from the constant nagging behaviour it had when first introduced, so I'm staying with Flashblock for the forseeable future.

What I mean is; every time I go to a new page, I get the big "Do you want to activate plugins?" popup coming from my addressbar. I never want flash to run automatically, but want to be able to run it on any site as needed. There's no option for that, so I get nagged every time.

Meanwhile, Chrome's built-in equivalent works fine (exactly like flashblock).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pseudorandom name posted:

Clicking on a plugin instance displays a Allow for Now / Allow Forever doorhanger a thousand pixels away from where you clicked instead of just activating the plugin.
Activating a single plugin instance activates every instance on the page.
Activations last for an hour, survive reloads, and affect other pages and tabs on the same site.

Turn off plugin click-to-play & use flashblock. I've never found the built in version useable, not even for a second.

Though it's worse for me as I use the pentadactyl extension, which hides the addressbar - so I get the aforementioned popup on every pageload with click-to-play enabled, and have done since about FF22.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dpbjinc posted:

The extension won't work with sites like Vimeo and Soundcloud that use hidden/1px*1px Flash files or other Javascript trickery. You have to write a userscript/userstyle for every single site like this or keep toggling it on and off. Click-to-Play Per Element looks like the only other way to make it work, but it's still experimental. I'll stick with Chrome for the time being.

I really hate how every single browser vendor has decided that they absolutely must be as minimalist as possible, and they have to throw away perfectly fine features to do this.

Nah, you just need to whitelist the sites.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Does anyone else use Firefox nightly on android? I use it as my default browser, and I had aurora installed too. Sadly something with the update when haywire yesterday, and used 60+ % of my battery in the space of 3 hours. I deleted and reinstalled and it seems fine again now.

Oddly I finally had to reset my long serving Firefox profile at work today. It was hitting 800MB with 10 tabs open, and lagging a bit.
I checked afterwards and my old profile had got up to 1.6GB.
It's nice and snappy now, and sync has got me back almost everything I had setup before. My addons all reappeared magically. Sadly all the extension settings didn't though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jink posted:

I can't wait! It's been a long time coming and I am glad they are starting to land Australis. I hope the community receives it well; it looks like the customization is still there (as well as the app menu customizations) and it looks amazing.

woo woo!

It's not customisable, and breaks pentadactyl, one of few extensions I use. The only customisation it lets you do is move around the button & addressbar, nothing close to what's there in the current stable Firefox.

The new design works fine for basic users (and seems pretty slick to be honest), but it's a step back for power users.

I admit I'm an oddball, but I only have tabs and the addonbar visible when using Firefox, with the navigation bar hidden.
I hope a workaround can be found.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Pretty much this. Mozilla did a bunch of user research and found that the UI was just confusing a large number of people. Software kinda has to cater to the stupids since, unlike the smart people, they don't know enough to find and install add-ons to get the interface they want (if they even know what they want).

That's fine, but they broke the about :config switch to turn off the new GUI & notification for smart people.

As is, I can't use the feature at all and have to still rely on flashblock. Which has options, a whitelist, and doesn't pop-up a nag message on every page.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fangs404 posted:

Facebook Messenger for Firefox will shut down on March 3.

I'm pretty sad about this. I loved the integration when it first debuted. But Facebook let it go to poo poo, and shortly after it debuted, it was just broken all the time. I'm not surprised they're abandoning it, but this is still sad news.

Is this a browser extension? Are they still maintaining a browser extension for Chrome?

Probably doesn't get used much, and would be better as a standalone app to be honest.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

johnny sack posted:

Is there a way I can save my exact Firefox configuration so that my bookmarks, button layouts/addons, and everything is saved to my account or something? I hate trying to make the browsers 'match' by going off memory.

On different machines?

You can just copy your Firefox profile folder across, and I'll be identical in all respects. Do that as a one off, then use sync to maintain everything.

The location of that folder depends on what platform you're on, google it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Milkman posted:

What's the best way to sync FF to iOS?

What platform do you run Firefox on? As I recall the iCloud syncing app that comes with iTunes for Windows will let you sync bookmarks to IE at least, and from there its possible to get them to/from Firefox.

Failing that, is there a cross platform bookmark syncer extension that works with safari? I used to use Xmarks between Chrome and Firefox.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Edit: taking it to D&D.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I love it, Firefox feels a little faster. No bad changes, and the ultra complicated extension I use, pentadactyl (vim shortcuts) works with no issues if I use the nightly build.

It's been improved a lot since I last gave Australis a try 2 months ago.

The only thing I don't like is the curved tabs - they look crap. They didn't need to re-theme the browser at the same time as re-jigging the supporting code, and have probably caused themselves and us more trouble due to this.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pikestaff posted:

For anyone who wants the addon bar back but does not wish to use Classic Theme Restorer for whatever reason:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/the-addon-bar/

This addon does what it says on the box. Puts the addon bar back and lets you customize it by dragging icons there, like you would with the rest of the browser. Integrates with themes (personas) and various other addons as well. I've been using it the past couple of days and it's working perfectly for me so far.

I use Pentadactyl (Vim mode for Firefox). And it provides it's own addon bar which I can add shortcuts to.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Knormal posted:

While we're (I feel justifiably) bitching about interface changes again, I know there's a few Mozilla people that read this thread, has there any internal discussion about this:

Source: http://netmarketshare.com/

Guess what changed at the end of April? I mean usage was dropping anyway, but it sure seems to have accelerated around version 29.

What country is this meant to be for? I understood that Chrome is the #1 browser for the last 6 months at least, and more than twice as popular as Firefox right now.

Your graph is way different to reality I think.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just installed Firefox on my Sony Xperia Z3. It's actually quite fast. I've not used Firefox mobile for some time - is it just the high specs of the phone making it fast or has it improved in speed dramatically over the past year?

It got better, and the nightly is a little faster still. But it still has some problems with bogging down, continuing to run tabs in the background, and general speed compared to Chrome.

Worst thing: It still doesn't use the native android zoom gesture (doubletap and slide up or down), it's still stuck on just pinch zoom. It's the only thing I use that works like this, so it's quite jarring.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I can't understand why anyone wouldn't immediately remove the search bar and just use the address bar to search, with custom search keyword shortcuts per site if you need it. Also, as a general point, there isn't really any purpose in a new tab page: You can simply type in the address bar and use Ctrl-return to make a new tab open with your desired page or search.

But aside from that, I'm an all-in Pentadactyl user. It's a extension inspired by vim that gives you full keyboard control of everything, is infinitely customizable via a config file, and even lets you script certain things to happen on browser close / open.

e.g. Delete all cookies for certain sites on browser close.

I can search all my open tabs and switch to them with a couple of keystrokes.
It also hides all the UI apart from the tab bar by default, and adds a status bar (vim style) at the bottom.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FRINGE posted:

That probably doesnt reflect most of the worlds pattern of use.

I mean that even without using Pentadactyl, I don't see why anyone would want a separate search bar, and when the address bar
works the same. It matches the way Chrome works too, so hardly out of the ordinary for most people.

As noted, I don't have either bar visible in my own configuration.

hooah posted:

I think this might be enabled by some plugin you're using or perhaps disabled by one I am, because it doesn't work for me. Just loads in the current tab.

Sorry man, It's think I mean alt-return perhaps.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
God damnit Mozilla! I helped my girl transition from old FF sync to new FF sync yesterday:

A bit of an edge case - she left her old job 2 months ago but didn't buy her own laptop till quite recently.

She had a bunch of stuff in (old) sync she wanted, but FF had advanced so many versions recently that there was no clear route to get that back.

You can't connect a new 'device' to an old sync account with FF 34. As ESR is now on v31 it applies to that too.

We had to grab an old non-curretn ESR 24, backup and uninstall the current version, install v24, sync, turn off sync, backup. Upgrade to current and then start syncing with a 'new' sync account.

Really obnoxious, they couldn't have planned this transition worse. And all caused by revving the version at a crazy rate to match Chrome, while breaking APIs all over the place ( unlike Chrome).

Prior to me noticing this problem, she was pissed off at Firefox, assumed her sync account had been hacked, and was thinking of switching to Chrome.

I bet this has caught out a bunch of Firefox users who buy a new PC and aren't super technards.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rosoboronexport posted:

Are you using Intel HD Graphics By chance? My Bay Trail-T tablet suffered from that, but manual upgrade of GPU drivers solved it along with next version of Firefox.

The culprit might be the new OMTC(off main thread compositing) engine. It can be disabled through about :config and line layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled.

Yup, exactly the same thing happened to me. I had to disable GPU acceleration to fix it, as as my IT dept. refuse to update the driver.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rahu posted:

Speaking of flashblock, is there any way to make flash click to play without it? I have plugins.click_to_play set to true in about :config, but that setting only seems to apply to everything except flash.

It should be built in, but they went with a brain dead implementation to make it user friendly.

Using the built-in plugin click-to-play, you get a big nagging popup bubble from the addressbar every time you load any page with any blocked plugin on it. It meant to ask once per session per site, but it doesn't.

Also, doesn't work for me as I use the Pentadactyl extension.

Also, it enables every instance of every plugin on a given page when you click to allow them : so you enable the video player + all the nasty add in one.

You can at least turn it on and off per plugin on about :plugins.

I use flashblock for this reason.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Amazing new Extension that will almost certainly replace one you're using now: uBlock https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/#firefox

Its a much more efficient AdblockPlus replacement, that uses way fewer resources.

Same filter lists, more options. Its really making a dramatic difference to my PCs performance this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The uBlock dev gorhill is responsive and has made a bunch of progress quickly. His Chrome extensions, http switchboard/umatrix use the same approach as uBlock (also on Chrome) but with much more power, akin to noscript.

This initial build for Firefox is working well enough for me, but will likely improve quickly and maybe lead to porting the other ones.

hooah posted:

I've got two questions about this uBlock:

1) I tried installing it from the link on GitHub, but Firefox gives me an error saying "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on GitHub." after it appears to completely download. Is there a way to save the file off of GitHub so I can install it manually?

2) I have no experience with installing add-ons from outside of the Mozilla store/whatever. Will this update itself automatically?

1)
Whenever this has happened to me, it was caused by an SSL problem somewhere at my end. Are you up-to-date, and/or are you behind a work firewall / proxy of some sort?

Try using another browser / connection to grab the xpi and drag into the addons page.

2)
Yes it will auto update, at least, provided whatever is causing problem #1 doesn't persist for the update URL too.