Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Is there a way to turn off the domain name highlighting in the address bar in Firefox 6? It's annoying.

Fake edit: This poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Much better, thank you.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

xamphear posted:

Uninstall Greasemonkey. Install Scriptish instead.

Is there an easy way to transfer all my Greasemonkey scripts to Scriptish? I have a bunch.

Edit: gently caress. Seems there isn't. Damnit, there should be.

Edit: Oh good, Greasefire still works with Scriptish.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 6, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Where is the option to disable hiding the "http://" in the address bar?

Edit: Thanks. I don't know why they do that. Many forums won't post links properly without that part; I can totally see a lot of broken links here on SA in the near future.
VV

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 28, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GarlicPepper posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with Firefox becoming sluggish after running for about eight hours?

Occasionally. Memory leaks, while lessened, still exist. Restarting generally fixes that, and Restart Firefox lets you put a button on the toolbar to do so in one click.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is Webmail Notifier working for people, with regards to pop-ups or highlighted icon?

I don't use the popups, but both highlighted icon and sound are working fine for me on 9.0.1.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

MeramJert posted:

I have to click the page reload button for the page I wanted to actually load and appear, because it doesn't change the address shown in the address bar. Does anyone know a way I could prevent these redirects? Failing that, a good extension or something to just stop loading and automatically reload my intended address if this happens? In case anyone suggests it, I live in China and can't change my ISP.

You could try changing your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I love the new bug where Firefox hangs and you have to kill it if you try to switch between headphones and speakers as audio devices in Win 7. loving Mozilla. Why do I even use this poo poo browser.

I switch audio devices regularly and I have no issues with Firefox freezing up, even in the middle of playing a flash or a video. Based on the above responses, it sounds like it may not actually be Firefox causing it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Megiddo posted:

I've reinstalled my video driver, reinstalled FF several times, rolled back to FF 9.0.1, deleted all Mozilla folders and registry entries, changed the settings mentioned above, etc. and I've still got the weird bold font.

I would think it might be Google incrementally rolling out some changes, but it does it on some eBay pages as well.

I'm on Firefox 11 / Win 7 (x64 Ultimate), and I'm not seeing that. My Google Products page looks like the XP example you posted further up the page.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

TTBF posted:

Ok that did it. Is there anything other than the bookmarks file I need to import my old bookmarks? I've copy pasted that and the bookmarkbackups folder into the new profile, and my bookmarks aren't showing up.

Bookmarks are stored differently now, you probably need to export them from your old profile and import them in the new one.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Alereon posted:

Firefox now has a "Reset Firefox" button that builds a new profile and then reimports your data, fixing Firefox problems without a laborious troubleshooting process. You can access it by going to Firefox, Help, Troubleshooting Information, then clicking the "Reset Firefox" button in the upper right.

That's pretty awesome. If you have more than a couple extensions, using FEBE first could be a good idea too.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ok, how do I disable this new "new tab shows most visited pages" thing? If I wanted that I'd use Chrome, when I open a new tab I want it BLANK.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Alereon posted:

Click the button in the upper-right corner.

Ah, that seems to toggle browser.newtabpage.enabled. I don't even want that button there, so I found browser.newtab.url which defaults to about :newtab and changed it to about :blank.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

You should be able to edit the maxVersion for the add-on and have everything work just fine. Find the .xpi in your profile folder, open it up (it's a renamed zip file), open install.rdf, and change the maxVersion to some huge number.

Note that by doing this, there's always the potential for things to break in hilarious ways, but it's worked for me for ages.

Alternately, just add the appropriate extensions.CheckCompatibility.<version> to about :config and set it to false. (The one for the current version is, obviously extensions.CheckCompatibility.13.0.) I only know about this because I'm still using a few old extensions with 13.0 - specifically bbCode (easily add bbCode or HTML tags to text boxes via the context menu) and Firefox Menu Buttons (adds a bunch of toolbar buttons you can use that duplicate items from the menus, like opening the options or page info dialogs.) I've been using that setting (or an extension that sets it for you) since at least 3.6.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

kapalama posted:

I am still on 3.6 because I need Gmail Manager to work unconditionally.

Assuming you mean this GMail Manager, some people in the comments have posted versions tweaked to have compatibility maxVersions of 20.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Thanks for the "disable protected mode" bit, that fixed all my problems with Flash 11.3.
It also reduced CPU usage when watching HD streams by ~1/3 for some reason.

For those too lazy to google it, go to %windir%/system??/Macromed/Flash/ and add a "ProtectedMode=0" line to mms.cfg
Of course consider the reduced security when doing it.

In 32-bit Windows, that "system??" is "system32"; in 64-bit, it's "SysWOW64".

Another problem with protected mode - when viewing a flash directly (by going to the SWF) without Firefox maximized, the window can't be resized. I think they should have tested it more before pushing it out.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Waffnuffly posted:

I like having an actual status bar (which PM restores and I haven't found a way to get back on normal Firefox)

Status-4-Evar

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

What is about:jank? That doesn't work for me. Is that a Pale Moon-specific about page? E: Googled it, apparently it's an addon. Neat.

Also I just discovered about:about, which lists links to all the about pages available. Handy.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Did you try disabling protected mode?

Downgrading comes with a whole host of risks, particularly the potential for opening yourself to exploits that the new versions fixed.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Uh, disabling protected mode comes with a ton of risks too.

Depends on what kind of websites you visit and how heavily you have AdBlock/Flashblock doing their things.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

vanbags posted:

I just upgraded to Firefox 15 and I have one minor problem. I want my tabs bar under the address bar. I can't figure out how to do this.

Right-click the tab bar and uncheck "Tabs on Top".

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

vanbags posted:

I'm not seeing that option. Anywhere I right click only allows me to check which toolbars I want visible.

edit: After extensive googling it seems like I can only fix this with about :config. What a weird inconvenience.

That's plain odd; I get it in the context menu (along with all the other toolbars) when I right-click the menu bar, the navigation bar, or the tab bar. (Also my extra toolbar, which I forget how I got in the first place.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I think it's just Firefox not always closing properly.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

By "newer versions" do you mean the latest release or the newer nightlies? I'm on 15.0.1 (latest release) and Old Default Image Style works fine for me. I got it as soon as I noticed the new behavior (which I agree, is poo poo) and it's been working fine since.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

There seems to be a new thing on Youtube where any link clicked in a video description (even those to other videos) goes to a "Redirect Notice" page rather than to the actual destination. I assume it's caused by something in Firefox; it's not Adblock or any scripts I'm running in Greasemonkey, because I tried turning both off and I still get it, and it doesn't happen in Chrome or IE.

Example: One of my Portal 2 map videos. When I click the link in the description in Firefox, I get sent to a page that looks like this:

The url on the page is a youtube url starting with youtube.com/redirect, but I'm not going to paste it here because it has my session ID in it.

I really hope there's an easy way to get rid of this, I really don't need "there's monsters on the internet" warning pages for external links.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Maybe a Greasemonkey script to rewrite the "redirect" link into a direct link?

Edit: I'll throw a complaint at Youtube's help or whatever.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I don't know when it started happening (maybe on version 16?), but my Firefox displays some characters in the mouseover link preview as their HTML entities rather than the actual character (for instance, %20 instead of a space, and Unicode characters are a massive unreadable mishmash.) It used to display them as the actual characters, and it displays them in the address bar. How can I restore this behavior?

Edit: Might be a problem with the Status-4-Evar addon. Still looking into it.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 4, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Welp, first problem I've ever had with Firefox in years. I'm unable to open the add-on manager, Tools > Add-on or Shift+Ctrl+A doesn't do anything. I just updated to FF 17 like an hour ago, I assume this is just me or are you guys also experiencing this as well?

Try putting about :addons in the address bar? (Without the space; the forum inserts that automatically.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

That's strange, I'm using Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3 and all the usual ways of pulling up the addon manager work fine.

E: Probably because I haven't got the notification for the FF17 update yet. Hm.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I'm still on 17.0.1 (on Windows 7 Ultimate x64) and the scrolling speed is fine. Is it any worse in 18?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I just switched to feedly (because Google Reader is dying in July) and it's quite good, but it definitely takes some fiddling with the settings to get things comfortable.

Edit: Also it doesn't like to subscribe properly from the Firefox RSS preview page; the passed URL gets malformed somewhere. It can be fixed manually, but it's annoying.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Did you try about:addons?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

Also per-window (and per-tab) private browsing.

I saw that H.264 support is disabled by default. Will it come enabled by default ever?

[edit]
If I'm reading this article right, it looks like FF23 will come with H.264 enabled by default. Until then, media.windows-media-foundation.enabled must be turned on manually.

Just for fun I tried opening the SA User Control Panel in a private tab, and I had enabled the h264 support, but the video that is on that page is messed up; it's all angled and weird. Is that a problem with my codecs or is it a Firefox thing? (It looks fine in Chrome.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I've been using Youtube Center (since they left-aligned everything for some reason, also it does much of what Yousabletube/fix did) and Resize Youtube Player to Window Size for all my Youtube customization needs.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Is there a way to back up your extensions that's not FEBE? I believe I'm going to need to reset my profile soon and I don't want to have to go dig up all my extensions again, and while it appears to, FEBE refuses to install.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Did you try the (not yet approved) 7.3.0 version of FEBE available here? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/febe/versions/

It does the same thing when I try to install it - the "do you want to install this" window pops up, when I click "allow" Firefox seizes up for a few seconds, then the "FEBE was installed" balloon appears with no prompt to restart, and restarting manually doesn't make it appear in the menus.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Try disabling the output(s) you aren't using with the right-click menu, see if it redirects to the active output that's left.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Hogburto posted:

Configured Download Statusbar years ago and never looked back...

This is me as well. I haven't messed with the download window since at least version 7(?).

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Is there really not one simple, functional facebook notification extension? The official plugin forces you to use all four buttons, when I only need one: an icon that shows when I have a notification/message and takes me to the page when clicked. If we were being generous, it might display a shortlist of those notifications in a dropdown panel, like the chrome version.

I use this one, but changes to the Facebook API have it broken currently. The page says it will be fixed soon, though.

Downside: It has a "like this page" toolbar button that won't go away, coming back between restarts, but it's easy to move off to the side and ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

How about using the one built into FF?

errrr, nevermind

It's nice that there's a built-in one now, but how do I hide the other three icons and/or move it?