Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

MachinTrucChose posted:

Won't the thread title become outdated by next week? :smug:

I updated to FF4, really hated it (I don't like it when the interface changes for no positive reason), and moved to Opera. Been using it for about 6 weeks. Good browser, but it's just not as good in terms of extensions.

But the move made me realize something. I don't like Firefox, and I don't miss it. There's nothing special about the vanilla browser other than the fact that it's open-source. It's the 3rd-party extensions that make it special.

So I'm planning on going back to FF3.x until the dust settles. If by FF8 (which supposedly really improves performance) the extension API is stable and all my favorite extensions are on board and and they fixed all those BS compatibility issues and it's all merry and future-proof, I'll update and I'll try to adapt to their poo poo interface. If not, hopefully a lot of those extension people will have written Opera versions by then, and I can move back to Opera. And if not that, then I'll just keep using 3.x until the Internet ends.

How does it feel to be a future member of a botnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xenomorph posted:

I don't get the "interface" issues people have with Firefox. With just a few clicks, version 4/5/6 (and probably 7 and beyond) can look just like Firefox 3, 2, or whatever.
Put the tabs on bottom, put the status bar back, etc.

These are the same people who turn off Aero in Windows 7 and then bitch about how it doesn't perform any differently from XP or Vista.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The Dark One posted:

Changing the weight would have meant the length of the url would change when you clicked in the field. That's worse, in my opinion.

They could make the url pink or bright blue or something.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Toast Museum posted:

I don't think that's entirely fair. Aero and the new start menu are pretty unambiguous improvements over XP. Tabs-on-top saves some space, but it takes longer to navigate menus with the consolidated menu button.

But you very rarely need to get at anything that's been collapsed into the menu button unless you're doing some configuration. It's totally ancillary to normal browsing.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Microsoft Spy posted:

Out-of-process plugins (OOPP) has shipped in Firefox 3.6.4 in June 2010.

Out-of-process tabs for Fennec is utilized in the Mobile builds.

Right, but we're talking about separate processes per tab in the desktop browser..

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

m2pt5 posted:

Where is the option to disable hiding the "http://" in the address bar?

Edit: Thanks. I don't know why they do that. Many forums won't post links properly without that part; I can totally see a lot of broken links here on SA in the near future.
VV

That seems like it could cause potential security issues or issues with pages not loading when firefox incorrectly detects whether a site uses http or https and loads the wrong one without any indication to the end user which it's using.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The Dark One posted:

As terrible as Flash is, places like youtube have a long way to go before HTML5 video becomes a worthwhile alternative. in terms of performance and functionality.

Does youtube do fullscreen video yet in html5? That and the video freezing while the audio continued every 15 seconds made me turn it off finally.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

dissss posted:

Its always done fullscreen if you have the browser window full screened. Its a bit inconvenient pushing F11 all the time but it does work.

This also leads to aforementioned crippling lag, and doesn't disable the screensaver, so it doesn't really count as a proper fullscreen implementation.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

MachinTrucChose posted:

Moving to the beta channel then, thanks for the advice.

Doesn't change the fact that Mozilla isn't doing what it can/should to help developers have a sane way of making plugins work in any version. Adding stuff like HTML5 support and WebGL shouldn't be breaking an add-on that lets me customize the context menu.

You missed the point: alphas aren't convenient to use. It's an alpha. There isn't even a guarantee that it won't crash after 15 seconds of use because it's an alpha. If you use the current release version or even a stable beta you would not have to deal with those things.

Next freak out on the Win8 developer preview for not properly supporting some old piece of poo poo app you're in love with.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Separate process tabs was literally the only feature I was missing in FF. It is the only change I've actually felt I needed since FF6. I'm fed up with someone's awful javascript on one page I loaded in the background tanking my whole browser. My perfect browser would be FF8+separate tab processes.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Alereon posted:

Note that this is just about making their build machines 64-bit, they're still using a 32-bit compiler and producing 32-bit builds. The issue with making a release version of Firefox that's 64-bit is the compatibility problems. Flash, Java, and now Silverlight might be ready, but there's still people out there using Shockwave, Real, Quicktime, etc. Even if both builds are available, you'll still have people downloading the wrong one and flooding SUMO to ask why Bonzi Buddy doesn't work.

There's no reason they couldn't have a separate download page for the x64 version with a huge red warning label noting that some addons will not be compatible.

Having a wider install-base of x64 browsers will encourage plugin makers to update or die.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Sprite141 posted:

I'm actually using 3.6.25 now, so I don't have it. But if that's the case, why was flash causing 7 to crash all the time? Oh well, doesn't matter now.

There's a really obvious answer here my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Sprite141 posted:

For flash crashing firefox 7? I'm sorry, but I don't see it. If it was a separate process it should have only crashed that process, not all of firefox.

Did you try creating a new profile? Which reminds me that I might have to do that now that I'm using waterfox. It was using over 1 million k for a while there.

ryanbruce posted:

He means that 25 is greater than 4. You're running 3.6.25, not 3.6.2.5; don't feel too badly about it because originally I made the same disconnect and thought 3.6.25 was older than 3.6.4

No, what I'm saying that if
A)Flash runs in separate process
and
B)The main firefox process is crashing
then
C)It is not flash causing the crash. There is some other issue causing his crashes, because if he has a version with OOP plugins then it is not flash causing his issue.