Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

My forward and back buttons are hosed. Often I'll hit back and it'll do nothing - I have to press it a second time for anything to happen. Then when it does go back, it greys out the forward button so I can't go forward back to the newest page.

If I press it once and it doesn't go back, the forward button ungreys but pressing it seems to only refresh the page newest page, which I never left. I don't even know this poo poo's bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

My current privacy-enhancing loadout is pretty much straight out of privacytools.io and the tests in browserleaks.com:
  • Privacy Badger
  • uBlock Origin
  • Cookie Autodelete
  • CanvasBlocker
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • NoScript
  • DecentralEyes
  • about :config -- privacy.resistFingerprinting = True
  • about :config -- privacy.firstparty.isolate = True
  • about :config -- media.peerconnection.enabled = False
  • And, most of the time, a decent VPN service.

The privacy.resistFingerprinting config entry switches your canvas fingerprint to match that of TorBrowser. Doing this makes the CanvasBlocker extension (which otherwise would randomize it for every page load) pretty much redundant, but eh, it's not hurting anything by being there.

...Why yes, I AM one of those paranoid people working in IT security. Why do you ask? How did you know that? Huh? HUH? :tinfoil:

Thanks for the about :config tweaks. FPI hasn't broken anything for me and resistFingerprinting is a nice change. When I test my fingerprint, I'm still unique among tests but it's my resolution that's killing me (1280x607x24 - a 1920x1080 screen @ 150% zoom, with Firefox fullscreened). I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where we can somehow spoof that without messing up site layouts? Maybe you could floor() the resolution to the nearest 10 pixels?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Huh? Mine seems to work fine without doing anything fancy, as far as I'm aware? In what conditions doesn't it work?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I don’t know if I’ve only just noticed this now, or if 65 hosed with zoom, but is there a way to make zoom tied to the URL rather than the tab?

i.e: i go to URL 1, and zoom to 120%. Then I browse to an external link and URL 2 shows at 120%. I shrink it back down to 100%, then click back to URL 1 and it’s 100% and I have to zoom it in again.

This is a pain and makes no logical sense. Web pages all render at different sizes due to font choices. Let me set an option for global zoom in the settings, then change that per URL.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Storm One posted:

browser.zoom.siteSpecific

Or you can control it with an extension.

It is already set to true, which is the default. I've not changed anything there, it just holds the zoom per tab, rather than per domain, and I have no idea why.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Storm One posted:

Have you enabled privacy.resistFingerprinting? If so it overrides a number of other settings, one of which is site specific zoom, despite what about :config may tell you.

(privacy.resistFingerprinting; true) + (browser.zoom.siteSpecific; true) = browser.zoom.siteSpecific; false

That’d be it. Which is a surprise, because I have had it enabled for some time yet never noticed that site specific zoom was disabled. I am not sure whether maybe resistFingerprinting failed to override it as a bug until now, since I only came to notice it as soon as I upgraded.

It could certainly be coincidence, though.

As an aside, I’d prefer if resistFingerprinting went through and changed all those other about :config flags. Firstly so I knew what was going on, and secondly so that I could choose to re-toggle on my own choice of balance between fingerprinting resistance and features.

Anyhow, thanks for solving that mystery for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

Yeah, and it's broken. It doesn't stop youtube or twitch from autoplaying, which both seem like pretty major sites you'd want to test on.

It’s not broken there’s just multiple settings that don’t really make sense. Changing them in fact does bring back the actual options screen toggle, too.

Have a read of both this (including comments) and this and you’ll be able to set it up.

Mine asks for permission and I distinctly remember it asking on YouTube.