Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Bieeardo posted:

Yes, thank you. Bolding the domain would have been fine, but making the rest more difficult to read was unacceptable.

Changing the weight would have meant the length of the url would change when you clicked in the field. That's worse, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nah the non-DLM version suicides too. The sooner the world sheds itself of Flash, the better. Assuming HTML5 video is more secure. About which I don't even know what I'm talking about.

As terrible as Flash is, places like youtube have a long way to go before HTML5 video becomes a worthwhile alternative. in terms of performance and functionality.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The geolocation stuff that Firefox is capable of is pretty startling. I've seen services using my IP address get within about twenty kilometres of my house, but somehow Google Maps was able to locate me pretty much exactly.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Are there any known issues with Firefox and AMD drivers? I updated mine and now the text in the address bar and tab titles is all weird and unpleasant.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

How's the WebGL performance in the upcoming versions of Firefox? I tried that experimental version of Google Maps with 9 and it felt like the screen was 90% aliased edges.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I saw a couple articles mention that in 10.0, the forward button only shows up when you hit back. I just updated, and my forward button is there regardless of where I am in the history of that tab. :raise:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

astral posted:

Do you have any buttons between the 'forward' button and the location bar? If so, it'll stay around.

Nope, this is what it looks like on my end:

e: disabling SALR doesn't change anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Move that reload button out of the way.

Alright, I'm an idiot. My brain ignored the words location bar because I always call it the address bar. Looks pretty, but I'm not giving up on my reload button or moving it to the left.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

For those who've been using the non-release channels, how much (if any) increase in responsiveness have you noticed on SPDY-friendly websites?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

You might be able to hide certain sites from popping up in the new tab page, but if he's really worried about his personal info being visible to people who he's letting use his PC, then wouldn't their ability to press Ctrl-H and bring up his entire browsing history be a bigger problem?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

The worst part is that it also traps media keys. If I'm watching a youtube video, I need to click out of Firefox to mute or change the volume using my keyboard. It's really fun when you click play, forgetting your speakers are turned up and the sound comes blasting out at ridiculous levels and you scramble for the mute button or volume dial and nothing happens.

Yeah, I'm experiencing all of this, plus frequent plugin crashes (11.3 r300 error popup messages).

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 10, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I didn't see it in the release notes, but that grey highlighting in the awesomebar is new to 16, right?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The click-to-start thing doesn't seem to play very nicely with the Acrobat reader plugin in Firefox 16. Is anyone else encountering this issue?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

You could set plugins.click_to_play to true, but that would work on everything, including flash or quicktime or whatever else you have installed. That wouldn't stop Java from re-enabling itself, but Firefox wouldn't actually load the plugin without your consent.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Did Firefox 17 change the default behaviour of alt+mousewheel scrolling?

I found these settings in about:config, but I don't know what values need to be applied to get it to the way I like. Can anyone help?

mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_z
mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_y
mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_x
mousewheel.with_alt.action

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

e: a mistaken sync option seems to be at fault. I have no idea why a NoScript button being added next to the navigation buttons would change the way they look so drastically, though.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

All you font issue bros:
code:
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled: true;
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.use_gdi_table_loading: false;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size: 6;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families: ''; (delete the string)
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode: 5;
edit: if you're on windows

This led to some weird rainbow effects in my Ls and Is.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

XP doesn't have Media Foundation, so your Firefox on your laptop won't be able to take advantage of it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

My Win 7 machine installed this update last night, and since the reboot, I've been getting graphical corruption in some text and images in Firefox. Has this happened to anyone else?

e: like this:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 28, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Alereon posted:

Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?

Updating to the latest Radeon drivers cut it down to something only showing on every couple of pages, but it didn't remove it entirely. :/

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I don't know if this is a Firefox issue or a forums issue, but I'm getting this issue with click-to-play Flash elements embedded with the [video] tag. It doesn't happen every time, and I can refresh the frame until Firefox notices things properly, but it's still annoying.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I've noticed with 20.0 that the first time I open a link in a new window after having closed a private window, that new window will have two tabs. Sometimes the extra tab is blank, other times, it's a random page from my browsing history.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 5, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Its not so much fixing an issue as it is turning off hardware acceleration to avoid the corrupted rendering that was going on.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Click the little # symbol at the bottom of the post.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I haven't used a bookmarks button in ages, but in version 22, I was able to plop in from the Customize interface.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

It would be nice if the browser could scan a user's about:config the first time after the patch and point them to the replacement add-on if it saw that they had the 'hide the tab bar' flag turned on. Savvy people might know about the change ahead of time, but the moms and dads of the internet who customized their interface years ago probably wouldn't even know where to start looking if their browser changed itself like that on them.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I like the flexibility of the stock behavior. You can hit Alt-Enter to open the URL or search string in a new tab, or just the regular Enter to use the current tab.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Make sure browser.tabs.closeButtons is set to 1 in about:config.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Read posted:

There also some kind of slow release Firefox, I forget what it's called.

Extended Support Release.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Pilsner posted:

For reference, here are some useful shortcuts:

Cycle tab pages: Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown

I like Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab for that.

There's also Ctrl-Shift-T to reopen a tab you'd closed and Ctrl-Shift-N to re-open a window you'd closed.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I wish there was a little more contrast on the background tabs. When I have more than one tab from the same site open, it feels harder than it should be to read and find the right one.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Mozilla is going to pay Adobe to be able to plop a DRM module in Firefox in order to conform to the W3C's Encrypted Media Extensions standard.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

When I try to open a locally-stored PDF document in Firefox, it brings up a dialog box prompting me to use another program. I tried pointing it at itself, but that just brings up the dialog prompt again. What am I doing wrong?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Knormal posted:

Does it work for Internet-based PDFs? What OS?

Internet-based PDFs work fine. The OS is Win 8.1 Pro.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The fresh profile was able to open the local PFDs without a hitch. Do any of these settings look out of place?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

It worked liked that by default with my mouse. v:shobon:v

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I just updated to 33.0.3 and if I go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/ and scroll down to their animated graphs, it freezes up. Anyone else see this behaviour?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Yeah, when that happens I just refresh the page and the control will show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I've noticed that seeking in HTML5 videos is far worse than it was with Flash Youtube. I also had a video's audio randomly cut out until I skipped back far enough and then forward enough.