Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I've been using this [ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/anti-aliasing-tuner ] addon since I started using Firefox 4 and was horrified with the font rendering. Has worked an absolute treat, and it looks like it's been updated to support pre-release versions too.
Oh, it looks like he doesn't recommend it for 6 >
Still, might help someone out with 4/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Seb posted:

I have a question about min tab size.

I like seeing all tabs opened, even if they get ridiculously small.

In 3.x I was used to changing tabMinWidth and tabClipWidth to a low value, like 5, but since 4 this doesn't really work anymore.

Now if I just wanna check a new link while going through my huge tab backlog I have to tab-scroll to the end.

It's not a huge annoyance but is there something else to do to get this behavior back?

Just use Tab Mix Plus.
That way, you can also enable multi-row, which I massively prefer to everything getting unusably small. Having to scroll through tabs would be a UI disaster.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

jeeves posted:

FF8 is final.

Cue obligatory 'Firefox's version numbers recently are loving retarded' comment.

It is a bit silly when they have the retirement dates for 8 and 9 mapped out already, if you go by Wikipedia.

Seems like they're just drawing a line in the sand, and going with whatever the most stable nightly is at that time, planned out. Curious, especially since it's not really a race. I won't argue the version numbers as such, because that's pretty tired.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

jeeves posted:

Whatever FINALLY gets them to make loving x64 builds a priority is fine by me. That poo poo is like perpetually 3-4 versions in the future, even when they started rolling out their retarded quicker version numbers.

No, this has nothing to do with the final build. It'll be 32-bit. This is just about the codebase becoming so bloated they need more RAM to build it.

I love Firefox but it really needs a clean-slate rebuild. The only reason I keep using it is because of the addons, and that's the simple truth.

Alereon posted:

That's how plug-ins work now (plugin-container.exe), not sure why you think this would help.

I don't know about you, but pseudorandom name's comment sounded like sarcasm to me

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 14, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Current GPU drivers are all well and good, but GPU drivers for what. You never mentioned what graphics card. That CPU & 4GB RAM is perfectly decent for web use by any standard.

However, all this hosing of profiles is insane. I never have any problems like that regarding performance. gently caress, I used Firefox 2 until about the time Firefox 4 launched (yeah, don't even comment). I had web page rendering issues because of hosed profiles (going from Firefox 2), but never performance issues as such.

Firefox often seems to render webpages slower than IE9 though. The scrolling is a lot choppier on the same machine. It's a shame Firefox has ended up this way.. I remember when it started it was essentially supposed to be an open, lean core, with anything extra being down to third party developers.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 14, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have a fair bit of emotional loyalty to Firefox, which pains me to say because it cements the fact I am a raging nerd who has feelings for software.

How I've got a girlfriend I'll never know (I hope she never sobers up :ohdear:)

You're just stealing my thoughts now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Standish posted:

No, it's because they merged loads of DLLs into one mega-dll (xul.dll) to improve startup time. Then they started building with link-time optimisations, which scale exponentially with memory usage with the size of the object file.

Alright, but did Firefox really start up slowly for others? I have other performance issues, like one rogue tab making the whole browser unresponsive, but not startup..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ghostery works, but the problem I have with it is that it can be too heavy on the blocking. If it's by an ad company, I can tell you it does a great job of blocking excessive amounts of things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery

Seems it was bought out, but the stats collection is strictly opt-in.

At home, I use Ghostery, AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Plus Pop-up Addon, and NoScript.

It's often initially excessive, but it makes the internet a lot less.. noisy.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 22, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, I had to remove Chrome from older, low-memory systems. Besides eating up all my RAMs from just displaying a page, it keeps its Google Updater running in background even when the browser is closed.

If memory is an issue, switch to Opera.

Yeah. I even saw Opera running on Windows 2000 with 128MB RAM, Celeron 400. It wasn't as unusable as it sounds.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

nexus6 posted:

Chrome:
+ New tabs open next to my current one, so I don't have to scroll all the way to the end to fnd it

I can see you've never used Tab Mix Plus for Firefox. It's probably one of the most popular addons there is, and fixes all tab related gripes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, exactly. Imagine how annoying it would be if every other Windows Update randomly corrupted your profile.

A pretty poor show, not really something to defend Mozilla over.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

As someone who once looked after NT4 Server/Workstation networks, I remember well how common "Reset the user's profile" was used as a fix for all sorts of poo poo.

This was in the late 90s, hasn't been an issue since Windows 2000.

That said I've never had to reset mine and I've been using this profile since whenever it was Windows 7 came out.

To be fair, I've had problems since then as well, where the quickest solution is deleting the local profile.

But it's nearly always because a user has done something ridiculous, or some crappy software updater has made a right mess of something.

But since I've been deploying 7, I've seen that solution required once, and that was to do with Flash. Somehow Flash had got itself in a total mess, and refused to work properly. Deleting the local profile fixed that, but it's Flash, so I can't really blame Windows.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 20, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Mouse gestures - I couldn't live without these! I used them all the time in Opera and when I moved to Chrome I was at a loss until I installed them.

I personally use All-in-One Gestures. I too am a lover of simple gestures. gently caress going all the way to toolbar or having to aim the mouse at a context menu.
However, another seemingly unrelated reason I recommend this addon is because it fixes a personal point about non-IE browser I absolutely hate.
Click the middle mouse button, get that round marker that lets you scroll by moving the mouse (I use this often). Now, how do you cancel it? Do you click? That's no good, because now you have to worry what's under the cursor. Do you mouse wheel? By default that just scrolls some more.
Installing All-in-One Gestures magically fixes this, and if you notch the mousewheel one, it removes the scrolling point, without moving the page, just like it does in IE. It drives me nuts to use a browser that works any other way.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Being unable to close pinned tabs - I can't remember whether or not Opera could do this, but drat it'd be useful. I find myself closing stuff I want permanently open all the time!

Anything you want to do with tabs? Always get Tax Mix Plus. I'm pretty sure you can do what you want with it, and no doubt a lot more.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 13, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

astral posted:

I just click the middle mouse button again, which causes no problems whatsoever.

I could swear I tried this at one time, but maybe I was just used to ending scrolling with a flick of the wheel so much that that's what I wanted. Either way, it's not really important to most, and I understand the complaint looks pretty ridiculous

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 13, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Does AIO gestures support wheel gestures? (i.e. holding RMB and scolling switches tabs)

It can do scrolling through tabs this way, or scrolling through page history, depending on what you want. I also often use the mousewheel scrolling on the tab bar, just toss my mouse to the top of the screen and roll the wheel to rummage through, although I think Tab Mix Plus can probably do that too.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 13, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Biodome posted:

Yeah, but you're missing the search google for "whatever" option.

Best right click menu option ever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

butts! posted:

:catdrugs:

Apparently the internet is some kind of hearty but extremely trippy layered cake:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tunga posted:

What is this and how do I do it?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tilt/?src=search

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

You don't need an add-on. This is built into FF 11. However, it looks like the add-on offers quite a bit of extra functionality/analysis.

Ah, I'm still on 10, so that'd explain it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Golbez posted:

I'm enjoying the cat drugs, and actually it has educated me about our own site. For example, most other professional sites you'll see just layer upon layer of blue DIVs. Ours? Four nested red tables, all four taking up nearly the entire page. :facepalm:

Had a similar experience. Our current (and new, I should add) helpdesk system is a clusterfuck of tables on tables with tables inside tables with single cell tables inside that, and so on.

It looks like a factory block. Want to see it? No? Tough; here it is:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 15, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Golbez posted:

Where did that bar on the left come from?

Ah, this is using the Tilt 3D addon, not the built in FF functionality.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

Post hot div pics and the tablest ticketing systems u got

I'll add to this again, with a surprisingly simple looking page:

But what horrors lay beneath?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Wasn't WebM just a lovely version of H.264 that still managed to infringe on any number of H.264 patents? I'm glad they came to their senses.

Not really. Visually, pretty much.
But it's not worlds apart. VP8 is the best choice we've got for free codecs, instantly replacing the genuinely archaic Theora.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NoScript is the final solution I still favour, but I acknowledge it isn't for all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I use All-in-One Gestures, have done for many years. Still updated and works with 13.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ICA posted:

How do I do this?

about :config - a lot more advanced settings are accessed this way

edit: whoops, completely missed pseudorandom name's post

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dodoman posted:

I like the favicons on the bookmark bar :smith:.

So do I. I use Roomy Bookmarks Bar to compress my bookmarks bar down to nothing but favicons until mouseover. Super convenient.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. Apple's design choices are often form over function.

Nothing truer. Why iPad and iPhone don't have microSD slots is beyond any reasonable design decision, and has made every other manufacturer think it's fine to charge you $50 for 8GB of flash because you can't add it yourself. gently caress this practice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't know, but I use Tab Mix Plus, and it has an option "Do not close window when closing last tab" which I use.

Again, I don't pay too much attention the default options, but Roomy Bookmarks Bar which I use JUST to show favicons can be coerced into showing just text.

I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion, but this is the stuff I have in my browser anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Because a microSD slot occupies more space and uses more power than NAND flash soldered to the main board.

For the past couple years they've been trying to kill off SIM cards entirely for exactly this reason.

MicroSD occupies space.. Yeah, barely any.. uses more power? Really? Apple has recently stuck insane resolution panels in their devices and had to uprate the battery big time. You honestly are trying to make an excuse based on power consumption against microSD? Give me a break.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 30, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

How is it Adobe always breaks poo poo? I too have been having the random video corruption, especially when scrolling past and back.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Closely related: I just use DuckDuckGo (SSL) as my search engine in Firefox, and the results often prioritise Wikipedia, and you can type !wiki before to search Wikipedia explicitly.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 5, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Vain posted:

My computer only has 768MB of ram and whenever I visit a page that is image heavy my PF usage jumps from ~500MB to over 1GB and my computer grinds to a halt. Is there any settings I could change that would help, or is it just a case of needing more RAM?

You should probably buy another computer. If you have a machine that crap, and don't have money to piss away, just check ebay for ex-corporate desktops, that's my recommendation.

Here's a quick search for Dell Optiplexes with Core 2 Duos and at least 2GB RAM for less than $100 (buy it now, not auctions)..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 21, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

oh god. Ask Jeeves!

Why are they still even trying?

I was shocked earlier, I tried it out of the blue; it came up with a useful result, better than Google or DuckDuckGo (which is what I mostly use).
(I was asking about letter frequency in Danish)

So it may actually not be a useless website, but they sure do piss everyone off by bundling toolbars with everything, which is probably why everyone vaguely hates Ask Jeeves..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Can anyone think of a way to make Firefox not even respond to system calls that open a specific URL or domain? My issue is that I have a "freemium" application that does a nag browser call every once in a while. I'm 99% sure it does this simply by calling "http://www.nagwebsite.com" as a system command. This is interpreted a HTTP protocol call of course, which makes Firefox handle it and load the site. I want to intercept this so FF, or any other default browser, doesn't even respond.

Any ideas? I tried an FF addon called BlockSite, but it doesn't prevent FF from handling the call and make a new (blank) tab.

Just do it the good old fashioned way and add it to your system hosts file..

Edit: oh wait, sorry, it will still of course try to launch the browser with a local or nonsense address

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dr Blah PhD posted:

It seems this aint normal. Aside from the usual add-ons (adblock, no script, down them all, etc) I normally have about 5 -7 tabs open at once. The only real suspect issue is that I don't normally close firefox everyday. Someone suggested that it might be a memory leak of an add on, but I have no idea how to find the suspect. Everything, including add ons, and flash are up to date.
Also, I'm frequently getting "adobe has crashed" errors when loading some videos. Is that related somehow, or is it just the nature of flash?

I have literally just this page open, and my usage is only roughly half:

So I guess.. buy more RAM, don't give a gently caress?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dodoman posted:

That's definitely odd. I only have a single tab open and I'm using 293mb of RAM.

Today it's only saying around 430.. with the same one tab open. I'm guessing as someone said, Flash, or it could simply be that earlier web browsing resulted in RAM never being freed up.

I also am sure I have the setting to never cache to disk, only to RAM, so that may explain the high usage. Either way I have 16GiB RAM and the usage doesn't bother me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

What the hell happened to scrolling? When I middle click to bring up the scrolling... thing..

Now it seems like Firefox is being utterly pedantic about which element I'm mousing over at the time, and more often than not, that means I cannot loving move the page. This is infuriating, and worked fine before this.

Edit: Maybe it's to do with all-in-one gestures. The thing I found in the first place to make "autoscrolling" work fine. By default in Firefox it sucks. God, give me version 20.

Double edit: What's with this BS lazy loading of tabs? When I restore a session, a tab looks like it has loaded, but doesn't actually bother to load until I select it. That's just stupid. Preload to increase responsiveness!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 24, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Make sure that "Don't load tabs until selected" isn't checked in the "Tabs" tab of the options page.

Hah, fair enough. I should have looked for that. Thing is, I could swear that was never set before.

Edit: There was an update for All-in-one Gestures too, specifically to help with scrolling. It didn't automatically update, but that's a problem for another time. I'll see if this helps.

Double edit: Although some pages just flat out don't let me use the scroll wheel. But that was Yet Another Smooth Scrolling. Disabling that fixed that. Hope it gets fixed soon, the default scrolling is not customisable enough.

Triple edit: gently caress it, none of the extensions updated themselves, but manually updating has fixed the problems so far, it seems.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Are there any add-ons that allow you to pause a youtube video and load it entirely (or better yet, allow you to hop around a loaded video without forcing it to reload?)

I think I asked the same question here a few months ago, but apparently youtube has gotten wise to the tricks of assholes trying to load an entirely video at once (the nerve!) and none of them work now.

I don't know, but I still use Download Helper to pull the video down locally if I actually want to skip around like that. Don't know if there's a more well-recommended addon these days.