Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Read posted:

You know the address bar has search built in, right? You haven't needed a dedicated search field for quite a few years now.

I vastly prefer a dedicated search box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scott808 posted:

There's now another replacement for Download Statusbar for Firefox 26 called (shockingly) Download Status Bar
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-status-bar/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2782661

Do the addons all undergo review before they're placed up for download on addons.mozilla.org?

It's lacking in the basic features that made the old one great, though.

I downgraded my FF at work, and turned off updates at home. It's too good to just have it suddenly disappear.

FRINGE posted:

These people are insane. They took the most used and best loved browser and have made it too irritating to get people to switch to, and are losing more and more of the people they already had.

I agree, it definitely was the most popular and most loved browser, and they definitely have been tinkering too much with things that don't seem to matter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pilsner posted:

AKA the proper theme with some actual contrast so you can see what's going on.

More accurately the "disable hardware acceleration" mode.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Im_Special posted:

So I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem, an add-on, flash or Youtube problem but lately when I try and watch random videos (not all of them) they simply won't load until I refresh the page (sometimes a few refreshes are needed) and then they'll work magically. I'm on the latest Firefox, latest flash, all add-ons are up to date and I've tried with all add-ons disabled with the same results, is only started maybe a few weeks ago. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Fake edit: Seems it's one of my GreaseMonkey scripts 'YouTube - Auto-Buffer & Auto-HD' hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

I use YouTube Center as a standalone addon for Firefox, and it has more YouTube options than one person could ever need, and I've had no problems with YouTube. So, I can recommend that.

Edit: actually, somebody is saying it is buggy because it hasn't been updated. So I guess try it, but otherwise my advice may be wrong. I just remembered I downgraded to FF 25 and turned off auto updates (you can take Download Statusbar from my cold, dead hands).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 13, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scott808 posted:

The replacement for Download Statusbar, Download Status Bar, is working well for me.

I never really set the original Download Statusbar to do anything special, but as far as popping up a little status bar showing progress/speed/ETA the new one is working great for me.

When I first tried an alternative, it lacked a bunch of features. No doubt this one is being developed, so by now it may have parity. I'll check it out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dos4gw posted:

When I watch Youtube videos in Firefox, every minute or so the video will freeze and the last 10 seconds of audio will be repeated before carrying on where it was. It happens more often in full screen or when watching in larger video mode but does still happen in any circumstance. If it is in full screen and I jump back to normal during the repeating audio then that will stop and the video will carry on from where it was before going back.

I am using the latest stable version of Firefox and the latest update for Flash.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any ideas on how to fix this?

Yes. This happens to me too. Irritating. It never used to do it. I have a feeling it started since the last update of Flash I installed.

Edit: nope, downgraded to Flash 11.7.
Started Firefox in safe mode with no extensions. Still did it.

Double edit: been playing around with various things with some success, but who knows what actually worked.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 26, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It might be new, but people will always contend whether anything new is an improvement.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

By shoving you mean, "down your throat" because your way is the one true way to use a browser, right?

Actually, if a user is happy and something changes they don't like, then essentially yes, their way is the one true way they want to use their browser.

There's nothing at all wrong with that, either, contrary to what many "change is great" people think.

That said, people question the wrong things at times. The awful staggered QWERTY keyboard has been unquestioned by most.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 7, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Focus the address bar: Alt+D

What fresh hell is this? I've always pressed F6, but come to think of it, I might have an addon for it...

(in a pub, so I can't check)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

F6 technically cycles the focus among "major" bits of the UI. If you've already focused the address bar, F6 focuses the browser content. It can also be used to focus the bookmarks sidebar if it's open.

Turns out I have this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/f6/?src=api

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

I can't wait until all websites have to be behind a paywall :allears:

One of the biggest problems is that a lot of ads are outright vectors for malware, not just someone trying to sell you a product.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Nice, you've made SA look like a brain-melting modern Google website where everything is grey and white, and there are zero borders or lines to separate neither content nor controls. I can't believe someone would willingly do that. :monocle:

I only want someone to fix the old black theme! (Oh, and the one change I always made when it was usable: Verdana).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have a fix for that: http://pastebin.com/DkEa3Uwa

It's the dark theme with the CSS stuff fixed to match the current-day forum stylesheets, and for you the fonts already changed to Verdana.

It was set to Helvetica, which pretty much defaulted to Arial, so I changed that quickly and I'm back up and running. drat that was quick. Thank you!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

I tweaked this a bit to fix some ugliness in the search, control panel, and private messages areas, and also unfucked the indentation so it's easier to read.
http://pastebin.com/T3tAGpCW

An excellent tweak. Cheers!

To be honest, it could use going back up on userstyles.org so all can find it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

How do I get rid of this thing at the top? My mouse has forward/back buttons and I don't need ANOTHER way to accidentally add bookmarks.
It showed up after the update to Firefox 32, I think.

Surely these actually take up LESS space than the previous context menu items..
You have an area 1924 pixels vs 5104 pixels in the old menu to "accidentally bookmark" a page.

It makes the menu more compact, and uses familiar icons from the rest of the UI.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 30, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Make friends with the DuckDuckGo dude. I bet he could use a pet browser.

(Flippant, before someone effortposts about it.)

DDG as the default would be something I could get behind, it's been my default for a long time.

That black theme

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://textfiles.com/anarchy/CARDING/aicard.txt
Is one.

Here's the Firefox rendering:

Here's what it should look like with the DOS codepage (taken in Notepad++):

Western (IBM-850) works for this

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

That's one of the codepages that Firefox is removing support for.

Nuts, sorry, I didn't notice, I stopped upgrading firefox ages ago, because I got fed up with my addons breaking. I know this is stupid, so I'll probably get around to upgrading again soon, but it's just a chore, having to fix it all up again.

vv A pretty good idea

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 5, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

god please help me posted:

I'm not sure if this is possible, but does anyone know how to disable the space bar from acting like a Page Down key? I hate accidentally tapping the space bar and losing my place where I had been reading.

shift+space will scroll back up, if that helps even a tiny bit

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 10, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wheany posted:

The reason smart phone displays are tall is so we can show ads on the top and bottom of the screen and still have a very respectable 1080*768 peephole in the middle :)

Adblocking on android is so easy these days, you don't need root or some weird local vpn like the old days, it's easy to set a custom dns server..

vv I mean in not just in the browser, but across the whole system

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I still to this day hate the revamped version of Firefox Android. At this point I don't even remember all the things it used to do other than the lack of extensions. That and when you click on the address bar and click one of your frequently visited sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current one so I end up with loads of tabs for no reason and have to keep closing them. I don't understand why they made it do this and I don't understand why they can't fix it. I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a workaround/fix/addon for this?

I intensly dislike the new version too. I jumped ship to Vivaldi on android, I wanted my actual tabs back. I have them, and have been happy with it for ages.