Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Interesting - I hadn't heard of Waterfox before. How does it compare to Pale Moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

I like Pale Moon (x64) better. It seemed faster, auto-updated properly, and I had less miscellaneous weird problems. There wasn't much difference, and much of it may be fixed/changed (this was a few months ago), but that's my unscientific study.
I haven't used Waterfox, but I've been using Pale Moon since v3 and I love it. I also love how Palemoon brought back the status bar in FF4 instead of that stupid addon bar and the disappearing URL hover thing.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Things like the Awesomebar, which while I appreciate I kind of wish I had more control over (though now I'm used to it so v:shobon:v) Just some of the design changes, the OH YOU SHOULD UPGRADE NOW all the time, and the fact that they're busy making it look like Chrome instead of making it not take a terabyte of ram to run sometimes.

Any design decision I'd be happy with, but there's too much THIS IS WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU that I'm just not happy with it anymore. I like my relatively barebones browser without a whole bunch of features I don't want or need and have no control over. If I wanted that I'd use, well, Chrome.

Try Pale Moon. I had the same gripes about the UI you did, but Pale Moon restores the status bar and does some other nice things.

Also I love how the hound in your avatar has a mouth full of those heart-shaped waffles from those novelty waffle irons.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

When you open the NoScript menu, you can click on multiple domains before closing it, so you only need one reload. Maybe you got confused with RequestPolicy, which unfortunately doesn't work that way.

I think he means the tendency for some sites to not load until you permit a domain, refresh, then see like five more pop up which also have to be permitted, then you refresh again, and sometimes do this again and again before the poo poo actually works. Temporarily Allow All This Page gets around it alright but it also permits known-lovely domains and sometimes STILL doesn't get around this nested-loading stuff.

I use NoScript and love it, but I'm willing to put up with it for the security benefits. Trying to get any of my non-tech-savvy friends or family to use it is nearly impossible, however, so some kind of click-to-enable feature would be a good middle-ground for average users, so long as it's either off by default or really really easy to tweak.

Similarly, I've seen mention that Firefox's new image viewing thing (centered on black backdrop) can't be disabled without a third-party addon. Is there anything that allows this change without additional overhead, like a userchrome.css edit or something? I don't mind it that much, but sometimes I appreciate the old single-image-viewing style for specific purposes.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

The addon I use for this apparently does it by removing a stylesheet that 'Bug 376997' added in. I'm too lazy to dig around in the bug tracker or the guts of the addon to figure out how to kill it manually, but it shouldn't be impossible.

Thanks for this! The "bug" linked on there actually led me to instructions on how to do it. It was really easy (using PaleMoon here so it was slightly different, no omni.ja file):

1) Open ..\Pale Moon\res\
2) Open TopLevelImageDocument.css
3) Comment out the whole @media not print block (wrap with /* and */ at the start and end), like this:

code:
/*
@media not print {
  body {
    background-color: #222;
    margin: 0;
  }

img {
    position: absolute;
    margin: auto;
    top: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
  }
}
*/
4) Save and reopen the browser. Done.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 21, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

OK I really do not like the new way to view images where they are placed centered on a black screen. Is there anything I can do about this?

You can also fix this without a third party extension by modifying TopLevelImageDocument.css in your Firefox\res\ folder (but have to redo it each update, as the files get restored after patching). Comment out the @media not print block:

Waffnuffly posted:

Thanks for this! The "bug" linked on there actually led me to instructions on how to do it. It was really easy (using PaleMoon here so it was slightly different, no omni.ja file):

1) Open ..\Pale Moon\res\
2) Open TopLevelImageDocument.css
3) Comment out the whole @media not print block (wrap with /* and */ at the start and end), like this:

code:
/*
@media not print {
  body {
    background-color: #222;
    margin: 0;
  }

img {
    position: absolute;
    margin: auto;
    top: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
  }
}
*/
4) Save and reopen the browser. Done.

I see no reason why you couldn't apply a custom style here, either. Might be useful. I haven't tried setting the file to Read Only to see if the change sticks after patching, but that might work.

[Edit] Actually, you don't even need to reopen the browser. Just open a new image and it should kick in.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 7, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OK, I'm having some major memory leaking issues leading to extremely poor performance with my FF install at work. Haven't had problems with earlier versions. Is there anything I can do to fix this or just wait for a newer version?

I'm running Pale Moon 12.2.1 off a flash drive, one I've been using for a few years without incident. I think the poor performance began with 12.x - not exactly sure when. If I disable all my addons, I get much better performance, but it still sucks compared to how it was before. I'd also rather have poo poo performance with addons than fast browsing without important stuff like Adblock and NoScript and Ghostery (which aren't really the problem-causers anyway).

I only ever keep a few tabs open - two for work which barely get changed from the pages they stay on (static pages), and one for other browsing which goes to a variety of places but not too many. After about an hour I find Pale Moon is using over 550MB of RAM, sometimes over 600MB. Even with just a single tab open running, say, Facebook or Gmail, it uses up almost 150MB. This machine has plenty of RAM but that is still an absurd amount for a browser to use. Anyone know what is likely to be causing this and any tweaks I can do to mitigate it?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

You're using an unofficial build significantly behind the official release, it's not really surprising that you're having issues. Switch to an official build, possibly Beta or Aurora depending on how much you want the newer performance improvements and features. I would start with a clean profile and only install the add-ons and plug-ins that you really want.

Yeah, I'll probably have to go through the trouble and just do this. I was using Pale Moon since it's fine on my home desktop and I like having an actual status bar (which PM restores and I haven't found a way to get back on normal Firefox), plus it was supposed to provide better performance by being optimized for Windows. And yeah I use the 32 bit version. Just annoying that everything was fine for the longest time until recently where its nigh-unusable. Oh well!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh awesome, thanks for this! Works just like the Pale Moon one (seems to be the same thing but must have been rebranded in PM).

And interestingly enough, after configuring a Portable Firefox install, I'm seeing about the same amount of RAM usage without the performance drawbacks. Hopefully Pale Moon 13+ will have this solved the way Firefox does.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Pipes: do you want to have NO bar down there at all, or would you be OK with a permanent status bar like what used to be in Firefox before they removed it in favor of the hovering link things?

If the latter and you run Windows, try using Pale Moon. It restores the status bar natively, i.e. not via an extension that sits in the addon bar, and pretty much removes the addon bar entirely in place of the status bar, which you can disable (although the hovering link things don't get switched on if you disable it, from what I can tell).

You can copy your profile over to it after install. It's the same thing as Firefox but rebranded since it was compiled to make use of Windows-specific performance tweaks. It works pretty well on my desktop (it was just my flash drive that had poo poo performance, and really, even vanilla FF has poo poo performance on a flash drive).

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ah yeah, I was aware it was basically the same thing, but got confused since it was renamed "PaleMoon Status Bar" in PM, and there is no option to toggle the Addon Bar anymore. I figured that part was rewritten. Guess not!

And yeah if the Addon Bar keeps coming back... not sure what the hell could keep causing that.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Have you guys tried the HTML5 trial for YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/html5

You can join and unjoin from that page. Might help with some stuff, but only on YouTube.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh right, I forgot that Firefox doesn't support h.264 yet :saddowns:

I really want to stop using flash, but it's difficult right now with Firefox.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I'd been having a lot of problems with FF stalling on me, and after finding this article (because I didn't know how to use about :jank at first :downs: ):

http://blog.mozilla.org/tglek/2012/01/26/snappy-january-26/

quote:

Laggy Sessions

On my machine about :jank indicated that most lag was caused by our direct2d accelerated drawing code, bug 721273. Turning off graphics acceleration made things a lot less slow (Options/Advanced/use hardware acceleration).

This has all but fixed my unusably-slow browsing problems in Pale Moon 12.2.1. FF/Pale Moon still sucks up a shitload of memory, but the super laggy BS is pretty much gone. So if you are having jerky performance, try turning off hardware acceleration.

Note that this is an older article and it may be fixed already in newer versions of FF, but it worked really well for me and the version of PM I'm running is newer than this article.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

Did you try updating to the latest video drivers? It's known that hardware acceleration can cause some latency, but it shouldn't be extreme if you have current video drivers. Really, you should put a lot more thought into ditching Pale Moon and switching to the official builds so you're not dealing with the dual problems of an outdated and poorly hacked build.

I only have this problem on my work machine running PM from a USB stick, which I do so I don't have to copy my profile among multiple computers. But I had a good bit of lag with Firefox too, also from USB, so I know a lot of the lag is just from the fact that it's running off that interface. It's not a big deal, just something I've had to deal with.

I'll try updating the drivers next time I'm in, though. Could be part of it. I never have any issues at home, though I don't run my browser off a USB stick there obviously.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OK, this came up before and it was fixable, but newer versions of Firefox seem to make single-image-viewing have a background color permanently hardcoded to this sickly blue-black-green hue, regardless of what your default background color is set to. Is there a new way to change it? Can it be changed at all anymore?

The original fix was to go into omni.ja\res\TopLevelImageDocument.css and comment out the @media_not_print block, which removed the styling. Now, doing that removes the centering, but does nothing for the background color. Please don't tell me this is permanent and unfixable :(

I've tried some extensions that reverted this behavior, but those don't work on the latest version either. They get rid of the centering but not the background color.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hmm, I'm running Pale Moon 15.1 and it's been doing this since 15.0 I think, but the old fix used to work fine. I'll check and see if it does it in FF15 as well. It could be my off-brand browser this time.

[Edit] OK works fine in official Firefox. I'll have to see what's up with Pale Moon that caused it to break. Probably a bug; I'll email the folks who work on it. Thanks!

[Edit2] Oh poo poo, it's not a bug at all, but a nice new feature: browser.display.standalone_images.background_color was added to Pale Moon's about :config. Nice! Don't need to keep messing with TopLevelImageDocument :)

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 19, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

TMP doesn't seem to have anything like that, but I've been using Unloadtab for a while now and it seems to work properly.

Is it still working on the latest version? I've been trying to get it to function on a fresh install but it doesn't let me add anything to the exclusion list, and when I check "Always Load" or whatever on one tab, it checks it for every single tab, and vice versa. Seems broken.

I really wish it would work, though, as I have one tab I always want to be functional and one that will suck up tons of memory if it doesn't get closed (or disabled) after some time, so this extension seemed perfect until it didn't work :smith:

Nevermind, it works on a fresh profile after deleting the old one. I guess "reset Firefox" doesn't completely wipe out everything. I must have some setting somewhere that breaks it, so I'll have to figure it out!

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 31, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Does this mean I can finally be rid of Foxit Reader?

[Edit] Hmm, maybe not. This one's a bit slower, but it IS quite nice for a native viewer.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Geez, Id rather not do the restart option, thats pretty inconvenient. But if anyones familiar with plug ins (unfortunately I dont know if theyre already depreciated and useless/suspects), heres the list I have: Adblock, chatzilla, download statusbar, download helper, down them all, exhentai easy (shameless, I know), https everywhere, multilinks, no script, skip screen.
Its a very minimal list compared to others. But also, there was an about :config page specifically for viewing add on memory usage? Also, Im using MSE, with nothing related to mcaffe installed.

It's important to note the distinction between addons (which you've listed here) and plugins, which are things installed on your computer that the browser links into. Plugins can't be removed without uninstalling the applications they're associated with, but they can be disabled in Firefox (and should be if you don't need them). Addons are entirely up to you and can be removed or disabled.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Anyone know of a good boss key addon? "HideTab" is the only one I could find that works like it should (just hides tabs, doesn't close them, so they're easy to restore): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hidetab/?src=search

Unfortunately it also adds a bunch of ugly, unnecessary context menu entries that can't be disabled in the extension options, and the only context menu editor extension I could find appears to be outdated & broken :unsmigghh:

Pretty sure there's a way to disable context menu items with UserChrome.css - check online for a guide. I know it works for stock menu items but I'm not sure how you'd do it for an extension's.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

[Edit] Download Statusbar was causing this. Urgh, I really like that extension, but it's so annoying I have to keep it disabled for now I guess.

[Edit2] OK maybe not just that? Turning Ghostery back on (I just disabled that first, then DLS, while testing) and it's back, but not all the time. Did a bunch of backend changes just break the poo poo out of extensions or something? The Save dialog just completely ignores all keyboard input entirely.

[Edit3] It's actually Ghostery, and only Ghostery, as far as I can tell. I also have Adblock installed. I guess it's related to whatever bug was mentioned earlier.

Is anyone else experiencing a REALLY annoying problem where Firefox refuses to respect the Enter key when saving images? If I right click -> Save As and type a filename, then press Enter, it does nothing; just highlights the name I entered. I've had this bug before, but it would eventually save if I pushed Enter a few times. Now it never does it, no matter how many times I try; I have to click the actual Save button.

Also, the Escape key used to work to cancel the Save dialog, but now it does nothing.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 14, 2013

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Same here. Firefox using over 500MB most of the time, whereas before the update it was a lot less. Haven't seen this kind of memory usage since I still had Adblock installed before I learned of uBlock.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

astral posted:

If anyone else was curious about how this was easily checked, it's done by middle-clicking a domain from inside NoScript's menu. :)

Thanks! This is great. Never knew it was a part of NoScript.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

wooger posted:

Well, we have uMatrix on Firefox now, which gives similar functionality with a better interface imo.

Holy poo poo, this is awesome. Thanks for mentioning it!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll give Origin a go then, I keep blocking People You May Know on Facebook and it keeps coming back.

FB Purity might be a better solution for that. I used it when I still bothered with Facebook, and it cleans up so much garbage.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SteviaFan420 posted:

Is there an easy way to change text and background colors on various sites? The white background black text gives me headaches and turning the brightness down on my monitor to read then back up to watch YouTube is a pain.

Stylish is awesome. I use dark themes for Google and Youtube, and it makes them look so much nicer and easier on the eyes. You can search for styles for pretty much any given site or make your own if you're savvy.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SystemLogoff posted:

The firefox Dev userscript/greasemonkey script is working again if you don't want to turn off signing.

I've had to turn off signing for Gmelius and Youtube Center, but wouldn't mind keeping it on - got a link to this? Having trouble tracking it down.

Is it sorta like the old Nightly Tester Tools where you can selectively enable addons despite their unsigned status, etc?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SystemLogoff posted:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Install newest greasemoney for firefox, install the userscript and you're good to go.

I think it may be able to grab 1080p videos as well.

Oh derr, this was about Youtube Center, not something else which allows you to selectively bypass addon signing :downs: Thanks!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

pokecapn posted:

Edit the grease monkey script you're using to point to 'forums2.css' instead of 'forums.css'. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that changed this month

Oh hell yes. Thank you! I was wondering why one of my Stylish stylesheets broke.

[Edit] Today it broke again. Switched back to forums.css and that fixed it. Wonder if they reverted?

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 19, 2016

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Seems Youtube Center's download feature has been bricked by a recent YT update based on comments on the issues board, and since it's not really being worked on, I don't expect a fix any time soon.

Anyone know of a good alternative for downloading YT videos that isn't super sketchy?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

RZApublican posted:

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader works great.

This is perfect - thanks! Even works with the rest of Youtube Center, which is otherwise still going strong. Much appreciated.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Read posted:

I think I'm using a combination of some Classic Theme Restorer options and this userChrome to fix the address bar.

code:
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type[actiontype="searchengine"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[actiontype="visiturl"] { visibility:collapse !important; }
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
	height: auto !important;
	max-height: calc(31px * 10) !important;
	}

Nice, thanks for this. Working perfectly.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I remember using the ancient Mozilla Suite which included browser and email client, way before even Phoenix existed. Holy crap that was a long time ago.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Anyone else who uses Youtube Center, do you have the 1080p option? When I disable YoutubeCenter (Greasemonkey script version), I get it working just fine. But having YTC enabled limits me to 720p and below.

I've read the bugs on YTC's github, and all of them are old or talk about ensuring DASH playback is enabled, which it is, and the player mode is HTML5. People keep saying HTM5 + 1080p isn't possible in Firefox, but that's obviously untrue since it works fine when I disable YTC. Hell, it doesn't even work when I use Flash in YTC, and toggling DASH has no effect either.

Anyone else run into this? I know YTC hasn't been updated for quite some time until recently, so maybe it's just broken. Any alternatives, then, if that's the case?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, been using the dev version. I even tried the addon version instead, and I tried resetting all settings -- no dice. Weird.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

If you want a nice YTC alternative, try Youtube High Definition. I've been using it for a long time, and it doesn't have the kind of issues you YTC guys are always reporting. It's simple but does exactly what I need:

Thanks for the suggestion! I gave it a shot, but found it broke the video layout when I tried to make it expand and fill the page. I mainly use YTC to ensure the video is always about 90% of the screen height/width, and shove everything else below it. Looks like this one tries to do that, but the actual video is offset inside the player. Could be something on my end, though, and probably is.

cebrail posted:

I also have YTC via Greasemonkey and 1080p works fine :shrug:
Do you use the developer version? Everything else is kind of dead.

Would you mind copy/pasting your settings, by chance? Wonder if there's just something specific about my config that borks it. Might try a new profile as well to see if that has any effect, since god knows what I've done with this one at this point.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks for this! It works with your settings. Now to figure out what about my previous config broke it.

[Edit] Apparently it's auto-play. When that's enabled, it only fetches up to 720p, but if I turn it off, I can click and then it loads every option. Super weird, but hey, whatever!

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 8, 2017

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, LastPass for Firefox is compete loving dogshit in my experience. Really wish I had an alternative for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Spyde posted:

Weird I switched from Chrome a few months ago and can't say I've noticed any difference. Has worked fine for my usage.

Yeah, I suppose it's fair to say that, mostly, it does work. But it's so awfully designed and the new UI is terrible and slow, and the online vault is just as bad. It's mainly just incredibly janky rather than outright broken.

If we weren't pretty much forced to use the enterprise version for work and there was something better out there with online sync and browse extensions, I'd switch in a heartbeat. But it's the best we've got for the lack of alternatives with the same feature set I think.