Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi guys, I shambled into this thread by accident but thought you knowledgable folks might help. Firefox has been my browser of choice since well, I guess forever if count my old Netscape days.

ANYHOW, I use Yahoo as my homepage, have for years too. However, I've noticed on Firefox it has some weird theme which I really don't like. First I thought it was a setting in Yahoo, but I looked all through my options and configurations and see nothing there. Then, I looked at in on IE and Chrome and it appeared as it always had, makes me think it is a browser setting.

Does anyone know if/what setting in firefox causes it to look like this:

I want it to look like this:

Thanks very much!

\/ just saw that, thanks \/

double edit: Heading out for the rest of the day now, so won't be able to respond until this PM if there are any questions. Appreciate the help!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, it's pretty common for web companies to randomly select users to roll new features out to. Try a Private Browsing session; if you see the old layout, you've been given a magic cookie that sticks you on the new layout.

It was a cookie. Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, since I've done a format and reinstall, I've noticed that periodically Firefox likes to bring my download window (ctrl-j) up from behind. This seems to happen with no set schedule or apparent reason at all. I've never had it happen with Firefox before. Any idea what the deal is? Running 18.0.2

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I really dig that Firefox pdf reader now. I've actually uninstalled Adobe reader and just associated .pdf with Firefox now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone else have gmail load/act really slowly lately? Runs fine on IE and if I disable to generic HTML, but otherwise I find it is even non-responsive at times. Am I alone with it? I was running 20.0, updated to 21 and same thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nah, 4 for me. Odd though that sometimes it seems to work fine... but when it is slow on firefox it still works good on IE :iiam:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have been noticing an issue lately that if I open a new window, for some reason out of the blue the window behind will be brought up front even if I'm using the other window.

For example, lets say I'm browsing a webpage and open a link into a new window (right click, open link in new window). I'll be browsing the new window and all of a sudden for no reason I can think of the inactive window behind will come to the front.

How do I stop that from happening?

e: Running 26, but it's happened for some time now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a safe/reliable flash alternative plugin for FF?

I uninstalled Flash because of continual security issues popping up and the crap that comes along with it, but there are some streaming websites which still rely on it and I'd really rather not put it on again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm. I was really hoping to not reinstall Flash. Games aren't so much an issue for me, more streaming audio (radio stations) and the odd video from news sites or the like.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I have noticed an issue with a website that I don't think I had before I updated to 36.0.4

For some reason, when I open a story on CTVs website, the page get into an endless cycle of loading. Finishes rendering, reload. Finishes loading, reload, repeat.

For example, the link below does this:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/air-canada-flight-ac624-tweets-photos-from-the-scene-1.2302756

Anyone else have the issue?

I tried disabling uBlock and all my other extensions, didn't effect it.

I have:

Ublock
Camelizer
Flashgot
ConvertToMP3

ideas? Doesn't seem to effect IE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, I was watching the URL closely as it was cycling and caught a glimpse of something "set cookie". I have my privacy to not accept 3rd party cookies. If I changed that to accepting them, the loop went away. Still weird though, first time I've seen that happen.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked at the past few pages and didn't see it mentioned.

I have the Camalizer add-on installed and it's quick button on the navigation bar has been gone since something like 36.0 or so.

I can customize FF and put it back in the bar someplace but it only works for that session of FF and is gone next time I open it.

I've un/reinstalled the add-on and it doesn't make a difference. On its options it shows as it should appear in the navigation bar.

Am I missing something simple here? My U block icon stays each time and has since I installed it, but Camalizer is being a pain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

astral posted:

From the addon's description:

I did a quick all-file search through Camelizer's code, and it looks like the author isn't actually supporting Australis toolbar buttons (Firefox 29+). This is the addon author's fault, but they're blaming Firefox. It looks like they have a newer 'developer' version that fixes the icon disappearing problem here but that still doesn't support Australis so you can still only place the toolbar button in the navigation bar.

If you have any contact with the author, suggest they add Australis support and things will work just fine. You can also tell them that it's very simple to implement; with Australis, they don't even need to bother with saving where the user put the toolbar button like they are for the legacy UI toolbar button.

edit: clarification

Thanks for the digging into it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

xamphear posted:

I really like YouTube Center because it makes the videos default to the highest resolution rather than letting YT decide to autoplay them at 360p. What undiagnosed mental health problems might that signify?
I just installed youtube center and it doesn't seem to be working. There is no "cog" at the upper right like there is supposed to be. Any idea why?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

xamphear posted:

You probably installed the version from the addon site, which due to how often YouTube changes their site, is way out of date. Install the developer version from here:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Thanks

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am also having a pdf issue with FF.

I have it setup as my default viewer, but whenever I open a file, FF opens up with endless tabs in some sort of loop... presumably keeps trying to open and reopen the pdf in the viewer and I have to exit firefox to stop it.

This happens whether I double click a PDF or open it from within FF.

Ideas on what's happening?

Running 41.0.1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Geemer posted:

If you're lucky you may be able to fix it by going to your Firefox profile folder and renaming/deleting mimeTypes.rdf. It'll create a new one that'll reset all those settings to default and maybe fix your problem if it got corrupted somehow. (If you rename it, you can always just restore the file if it didn't work.)

That was how I fixed my Firefox always wanting to download SWF files, at least.

So, uh, where is the FF profiles kept as default? I can't find it anywhere.. and a search of that file doesn't turn up anything :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys, found it, deleted it, still does it. :(

I'll try a fresh install of it tonight and see if that does it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FWIW, I did a full uninstall and deleted that userapp data, and seemed to be fine on the reinstall.

Thanks for the info on the hidden folder.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a safe Mozilla link for downloading the native 64 bit of FF? Every search result I see looks sketchy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just built a new computer and noticed that ublock Origin is screwing with my uploads to Imgur. I was getting upload failiures 75% of the time (but not always) but as soon as I disabled it, it 100% worked. Is there a way to disable what is screwy?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The more I play with it, the more I don't think it is ublock.. I think it was just a coincidence.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Imgur? That's interesting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just noticed that my new FF 42.0 install (just built a new system) is not spell checking. As in, "rgpoihg" has no red line under it.

Did I miss something in the install? How do I turn it on? My spelling is pretty awful so I rely on it fairly heavily. :sigh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's checked. Weird. Maybe I'll try a reinstall tonight, been meaning to put 64bit FF in it anyhow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

astral posted:

Check if you have it turned on in your OS settings, too.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have a Firefox dictionary installed?
How do I check those?
Apprecaite the help.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For mine I just type British into the Add-ons search box and it shows me options to install English dictionaries.
I put in a Canadian English dictionary and that seemed to do it. Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gromit posted:

efb: well, that'll teach me to take screenshots trying to be all clever and poo poo.

When you quote this post, what options do you get when you right-click the text entry box? You should be able to select "check Spelling" as well as what dictionary you want it to use under "Languages".

No man, thanks, you just 100% confirmed it. Only the dictionary I installed shows so I guess for some reason the default never was. I'll have to check and see what region I have the OS set up for.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Will 32 bit auto-update to 64 or do you have to delete the old 32 install and put on x64?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there any kind of a plug in which draws you attention to a CTRL-F find on a page? Like a flashing cursor or something? If not Firefox exclusively even a generic windows setting?

Sometimes hunting for the what you're looking for on a big page is next to impossible and it would be a great help.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh hell yeah, that seems great just with my 30 seconds of playing with it. Appreciate it!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just wanted to say again how perfect this is and thanks for the recomendation. Been using it for a few days now and it's EXACTLY what I wanted. Going to send the developer a donation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm, interesting. I just updated both my main PC and laptop to 44.0.2 and it's rock solid but I'm running 8.1 on both.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, I had no idea middle button did that :monocle:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry if this has been posted about already, but I looked back a few pages and couldn't find anything. Since something like 54.x.x I've noticed the ctrl-f find feature has been a little screwy. Sometimes, but not always the next/before arrows are ghosted out an not-selectable, even if there are more instances of the phrase you are trying to find. Is this a known issue or am I just doing something wrong?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is another issue I've noticed - sometimes the search window isn't showing any results at all. See attached:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It wasn't but of course I can't replicate it now. :smith:

It's not a huge deal, just a bit of an inconvenience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll play around with it, maybe I am just impatient. If nobody else is having the issue it must just be something I'm doing. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a good plugin that stops autoplay of embedded videos? News sites in particular are awful.