Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Who the gently caress designed the sync feature? I reinstalled my Windows and browsers. On Opera, I have to delete all the preinstalled bookmarks and speed dial entries (so that they will not be synced on other devices, which is frankly bullshit), but after that I just use my username and password and it will download my bookmarks and speed dials and passwords and whatever. In Chrome, the same thing. Sign in using my username and password, get bookmarks (and extensions and some other stuff)

On Firefox my options are to input some giant string into some other device, or (since i have no "other device") to sign in using my username and password. Except if i don't also know some mysterious string (and I don't), it will delete all my data. :wtc:

I guess I'm plugging my old failing hard drive back and getting my bookmarks and settings back that way, like a god drat savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

Firefox Sync is secure, unlike Chrome or Opera. Nobody can access your data besides you, because that gigantic mysterious string you're whining about is the crypto key protecting your data before it gets uploaded to your account on the Mozilla Sync server.

I never remember choosing such a key, at least it's not in my password manager.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Skuto posted:

Pretty sure it recommends you to make a backup of it when you set up Sync.

Well, that is a possibility, but like I said, I haven't stored such a key in my password manager.

Skuto posted:

User chosen passwords don't tend to be secure at all, so the long encryption key is generated from a bunch of other random things. As pointed out, the advantage is that no-one, including Mozilla, or the government, can read the data.

Well, I don't think that really sounds like a good reason to not have the option for the user to choose their own key.

e: After copying my profile from the old disk, I have now added the recovery key into the password manager.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 30, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Skuto posted:

"Please enter an encryption key that has at least 256 bits of (random) entropy."

I don't think adding such an option is a good plan. To get an idea, here's a page that estimates the strength of user-chosen keys: http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php

Passwords are really beyond terrible at securing things.

Well, if you don't trust the user to select a good password, just print out the encryption key and tell the user to write it down because he will need it to recover his bookmarks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You're continuing to make the conflation of Sync with a backup. It is not a backup.

Well, I can't sync Firefox on my work computer with my home computer if I don't have the home computer on my workplace and if I didn't know I had to write down an encryption key.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Is there a reason that all of my crash reports are corrupted? Is there something I can do to make sure future reports are not?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Are there keyboard shortcuts for activating the tab adjacent to this one? "Select the the next tab on the left" "Select the the next tab on the right"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Guerrand posted:

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab. If you're using a tab addon they may be remapped to select by most recent.

Is there something that lets me keep the most-recent bahavior of ctrl-tab and also switch tabs in-order?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown

Yes, thank you.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Has anyone else had problems in the last few days with Twitter on Firefox? It simply refuses to render some pages suddenly, and will not until I restart Firefox. On Chrome, the same urls (user's streams, searches, and single tweets) work perfectly.

This has only happened in the last couple of days. Also Firefox takes a long time, close to a minute (haven't actually checked with a stopwatch, but it is a lot longer than usual), to shut down when I encounter this.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Has anyone else had problems in the last few days with Twitter on Firefox? It simply refuses to render some pages suddenly, and will not until I restart Firefox. On Chrome, the same urls (user's streams, searches, and single tweets) work perfectly.

This has only happened in the last couple of days. Also Firefox takes a long time, close to a minute (haven't actually checked with a stopwatch, but it is a lot longer than usual), to shut down when I encounter this.

This is still happening for me, sometimes ctrl-l, then enter on the stubborn pages helps, often it does not.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

xamphear posted:

I downgraded from Nightly to mainline just to get away from the terrible changes they made to clicktoplay. I was hoping they would come to their senses before the changes made it into the release branch. Oh well, seems like that extension does a good job changing the behavior back to something sensible.

What exactly has changed, I don't use click-to-play.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Rahu X posted:

I can only imagine how upset Opera 12 users were.

I'm still using Opera 12 as my main browser. Currently I'm still more likely to switch to Firefox or Chrome than Opera.. 17 I think is the next version.

If I'm going to have to unlearn my old habits, I might as well go with a browser that has market share/support.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Is this a known issue?

When I open many tabs (more than 10) with large photos in them (large "original" size photos on flickr), Firefox simply refuses to show some of the images. It only shows a "broken image" icon. Sometimes when you close the tab and then un-close it (ctrl-shift-T), the image is shown. Sometimes that does not help. Opening the same page immediately in Chrome or Opera (classic) displays the image. Restarting Firefox also helps.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Desuwa posted:

I run into that problem, but I've got an order of magnitude more tabs than that. My issue is caused by Firefox running out of memory (when this is happening firefox.exe is often using 2.6+ GB), if it's the same issue then you've probably got an addon eating a lot of memory.

Yes, I usually have tens of tabs open at the point, in addition to the several large image tabs. And yes, Firefox is using a lot of memory.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If I have too many tabs full of images open Firefox turns the pages black as soon as I try to scroll. That's my cue to save anything I'm doing because it also means it's about to crash.

This is also true and happens unacceptably often.

I don't know what Firefox is doing because the amount of memory can be anything from "just" around 1 gig to somewhere around 3. My computer is nowhere near running out of memory at that point though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Alereon posted:

As others aren't seeing the same problem you report, try with a clean profile per the OP.

I quoted a poster who said he had the same issue.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oh well, I left Firefox running without extensions at home with maybe 30 tabs open as I left for work. I sure as hell am not going to use it without any extensions.

Moving on: When did the RSS feed icon return? Because I installed an extension that added it to the address field and when I disabled it, I noticed that I have a native RSS button one next to the menu button now. Or was it always there, just hidden somewhere? Because that's one extension I can completely delete then.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

I'm glad the RSS icon is back, but why? Did they bring it back "just because", or do I have it only because I disabled the RSS icon in url bar extension I was using (and disabling it enabled the built-in one).

I can't find the icon in the customize palette, so I'm not sure.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Has anyone else's Firefox started to delete session cookies for Twitter and Flickr in the last ~month or so?

The only extension I have installed around the same timeframe was lightbeam which afaik activates tracking protection. I have since deactivated (but not uninstalled) the extension.

Twitter and Flickr used to keep me logged in between browser crashes, but don't anymore. With Flickr at least I can just chalk it up to their ongoing shittening of the user experience they have been doing for 3 years now.

Oh and of course I have uBlock origin installed, does it have some setting or blocklist in it that possibly blocks cookies?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, I guess I could at least try doing that. At least now I know that you're not supposed to get logged out of Twitter between browser restarts.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, at least after the refresh I'm still logged in to twitter. Great success??

e: also after several restarts while reinstalling extensions and user scripts :yayclod:
e2: flickr login also works :unsmith:

Wheany fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Ihmemies posted:

Well I force-enabled e10s with some toggle and now it says it's enabled. Thing seem to work fine.. so far. And the browser feels more responsive. Perhaps I'll run into problems later!

#YOLO, as the kids say these days

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Well, at least after the refresh I'm still logged in to twitter. Great success??

e: also after several restarts while reinstalling extensions and user scripts :yayclod:
e2: flickr login also works :unsmith:

gently caress, it's doing it again. I'm not going to refresh the browser again, I don't want to install all my user scripts and styles again.

I guess I'm using Chrome for both Twitter and Facebook now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I decided to install the beta so that I could try electrolysis. I enabled it and about:support shows multiprocess windows with a non-zero value. Everything has worked so far, but two things confuse me:
Process explorer shows only one Firefox process and
The process is using significantly less memory than I've used to seeing (private bytes) (now: less than half a gig vs over a gig it was using almost immediately after startup)

It using less memory is of course good, I just don't understand why. Then again, I've only been using it for about a day, so i don't have that much experience with it yet.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
One thing that would almost 100% guaranteed crash Firefox previously was opening 20-30 flickr photo pages (doctor, it hurts when I do this), so I decided to try that. Nothing. Still using under half a gig of memory after I closed the tabs, and the browser stayed a lot more responsive throughout the test.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I re-ran my flickr torture test and I noticed that plugin-container.exe was using almost 3 gigs of memory before a bunch of tabs crashed.

But it was only the tabs that crashed, not the whole browser. And more importantly, I'm still logged into Twitter, for example. I'm definitely loving this so far.

e: apparently firefox uses plugin.container.exe for both plugins and the content process of the tabs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, they made a working video player once in 2005 and they have used the same content creation pipeline since then. It is kind of a big pain in the rear end to remake it, so maybe if they put fingers in their ears and shout lalalalala, the future won't happen.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Progress report after about a week of using e10s: The browser is definitely more stable in my use, neither the main process nor the tab process has crashed once and I have been using way more tabs than before.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fourwood posted:

Aw poo poo, all of a sudden this is happening to my Twitter now.

Resetting the profile worked for me for a while. Then it broke again.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Is there a way to delete specific address history entries?

I'm a web developer and I have localhost:7088/whatever in my address bar history, but recently I moved that service to port 8088. But Firefox keeps suggesting the old addresses that don't respond anymore. I want to remove the outdated address, but keep the new address.

edit: Oh, it looks like I just need to highlight the entry and press delete :downs:

Wheany fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 27, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Klyith posted:

^^^ this right here. Especially now that they have a windows .exe version, so you don't have to install python on windows (which is probably a bit beyond the average user).

Youtube doesn't really want people to download videos. They change stuff all the time to break compatibility, and their old-style easily downloadable flv & mp4 formats have been cut way back. All of the extension & web based things rely on those limited formats, and they frequently go out of date.

youtube-dl can grab the high-res video or whatever other format you want, and it's updated quickly.

Also the name is misleading, as it works on tons of websites, including some that are not "traditional" video hosts, like twitter and instagram.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zero The Hero posted:

I miss Opera.
That old familiar feeling of using a browser with sub-10% market share :unsmith:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Other random questions: is the https everywhere extension worth using? I always see it recommended but I remember using it before and had to disable it because it would break some websites (but I don't remember which or how).

Over 99% of websites work just fine with it. I have found one website where the https version existed, but was out-of-date by like 8 months or something for some reason.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Is there a way to fake or set the geo location of the browser that actually works? I tried Geolocater extension, but it's broken (in recent Firefox versions?).

I'd actually like to add the correct location to the browser, so that weather sites don't show me the weather of a city hundreds of miles away, because the location based on my IP is wrong.

I think it's actually kind of weird that this isn't just a setting.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nalin posted:

Good news! The next version of Firefox is decommissioning Hello!

I went to look for Firefox OS and looks like they've discontinued that too. Maybe now they can get back to making a web browser. :dance:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Wow, how very "lean" and "agile" of them.

Well, here's to 2017 then.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Powered Descent posted:

, and my work machine also using a script I wrote myself to change the hideous colors on the internal company wiki).

I used to do this with user javascript, now I use the stylish extension. Maybe that could work for you too.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The Merkinman posted:

Mozilla is working on a rebrand. :argh: why aren't they working on {thing} instead*

*(even though this was a third party and even if it weren't, artistic things are done by different people than coding features)

gently caress those are all bad. Gun to my head, I'd pick the third one.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Grim Up North posted:

They are all terrible, imo. I mean I like "Moz://a" but good luck telling people how to pronounce that. Maybe they could get rid of the Mozilla "brand" and call themselves the Firefox Foundation or sth if they are hellbent on change.

The ones that rearrange the letters are like the logos I made in high shcool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tamba posted:

Twitter does something weird and creates a basically infinite amount of useless cookies. This causes Firefox to eventually wipe out the login cookie, once some limit is reached, due to the way it decides which cookies to clean out. More details here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192

So that's the root cause. Well, I have atered my Twitter usage lately, so I guess that explains why I haven't been logged out of Twitter between restarts