Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That is a threatening fixture. I do not like the hole.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Crappy Construction: I do not like the hole

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

hellotoothpaste posted:

Crappy Connection: This is my hole... It was made by me!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Is that wall 400 kgs (pounds?)? Cause they might just try to prevent people from stealing their shower fixture.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

good idea but the wall doesn't look like it's made of concrete

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's the overflow drain

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's the motel owner's peep hole

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Looks like typical Czech airbnb plumbing

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is that wall 400 kgs (pounds?)? Cause they might just try to prevent people from stealing their shower fixture.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

good idea but the wall doesn't look like it's made of concrete

Now THERE's a freaking callback.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5tsF5YO1LW/?igsh=dThmbmVlcmlzYmVk

Jows
May 8, 2002

I wouldn't like to shower with my wall smiling at me

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

hellotoothpaste posted:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jows posted:

That's more a look of horror, though

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Annoying that something this good is behind an Instagram link but drat, that sure is some "framing" :stare:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jows posted:

I'm reminded of the commercial with the creepy cartoon bubbles asking the showering woman to "use the loofah"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Reuploaded:
https://i.imgur.com/5HBlhlp.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It seems like it would have been so much easier to just do it right.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Deteriorata posted:

It seems like it would have been so much easier to just do it right.

I strongly suspect that's the result of not knowing how to do it right. Like, they hosed something up early on and now these joists don't meet right. So how do you fix that? In reality probably take it all apart and use lumber that you didn't gently caress up and cut too short to begin with (or whatever else caused it) but we don't want to spend time/money on that so gently caress it staple in some offcuts until they touch. Oh hosed up the placement of that one bit? Notch it so that other one will clear.

Get it slapped up, cash the check, go home and forget it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

From what I'm given to understand by my encounters with the dudes that build poo poo like that, it might be easier but that *would* entail going out to the hardware store and buying lumber rather than screwing together the perfectly good pile of cutoffs they found in a dumpster, and it's not like they've got anything better to do with their time

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr posted:

Just had my shower replaced due to a leak causing water damage.

Update on this. It helps to have money leverage over a company. They hired a different guy to come change out the water damage. They also previously put some marble pieces that didn’t match the rest in three places and they are replacing those this week. They also installed the shelves uneven and unlevel, so they are redoing those. I hope it goes better than last time.

Kind of surprised I got them to hire an external framing / drywall guy by saying I didn’t want their same team in here again.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The rooflines also seem McMansion-style complicated and I suspect architects don't do a lot of joint detail drawings for them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

I strongly suspect that's the result of not knowing how to do it right. Like, they hosed something up early on and now these joists don't meet right. So how do you fix that? In reality probably take it all apart and use lumber that you didn't gently caress up and cut too short to begin with (or whatever else caused it) but we don't want to spend time/money on that so gently caress it staple in some offcuts until they touch. Oh hosed up the placement of that one bit? Notch it so that other one will clear.

Get it slapped up, cash the check, go home and forget it.
Those rafters should be all the same, so once you do the first one, use it as a template to cut the other 20 or 40 or however many you need. You can be like 10 rafters deep before realizing that it's not the right size. Experienced framers screw up as much as anyone, but they usually have a system of checks and balances in place, so wrong measurement does not run away from you.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Cat Hatter posted:

Crappy Construction: "What are you gonna do, build my deck again?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Those rafters should be all the same, so once you do the first one, use it as a template to cut the other 20 or 40 or however many you need. You can be like 10 rafters deep before realizing that it's not the right size. Experienced framers screw up as much as anyone, but they usually have a system of checks and balances in place, so wrong measurement does not run away from you.

Wouldn't this rely on your walls being perfectly parallel to each other and to the ridge beam? And yes, of course, you're supposed to check for square before you lock the walls in, but if you don't and the walls aren't square, no amount of templating can save you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The rooflines also seem McMansion-style complicated and I suspect architects don't do a lot of joint detail drawings for them.

A lot of McMansions aren't designed by architects, they're designed by a home designer, general contractor, or interior decorator because the software is relatively easy to use and then you can just put whatever idiotic rooms in whatever idiotic shape you want without worrying that the 20 rooflines don't make sense and one wall is just a giant flat sheet of siding with a dozen windows all different sizes slapped on all haphazard.

There's a developer down the street from me that tore down two nice historic houses to build a dumb box of dark grey siding, and then another mirror image of the same house. One was for him and one was for some other family with no taste. They planted one tree on each property, and for each it's directly under their power lines.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Baron von Eevl posted:

A lot of McMansions aren't designed by architects, they're designed by a home designer, general contractor, or interior decorator because the software is relatively easy to use and then you can just put whatever idiotic rooms in whatever idiotic shape you want without worrying that the 20 rooflines don't make sense and one wall is just a giant flat sheet of siding with a dozen windows all different sizes slapped on all haphazard.

There's a developer down the street from me that tore down two nice historic houses to build a dumb box of dark grey siding, and then another mirror image of the same house. One was for him and one was for some other family with no taste. They planted one tree on each property, and for each it's directly under their power lines.

Lol, lmao

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I see more and more of these popping up everywhere, and there are the most awkward piece of design imaginable. Especially when sitting next to a traditional brick facade buildings that actually belong in neighborhoods.

Somebody looked at a shipping container and said I want to live in this but make it five stories tall.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

I see more and more of these popping up everywhere, and there are the most awkward piece of design imaginable. Especially when sitting next to a traditional brick facade buildings that actually belong in neighborhoods.

Somebody looked at a shipping container and said I want to live in this but make it five stories tall.

Hey, some people like needing to use the stairs to take a poo poo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Incognito browser to avoid the paywall

https://www.businessinsider.com/vietnam-narrow-tube-houses-nha-ong-photos-history-design-2022-3

https://xotours.vn/blog/vintage-skyscrapers-the-evolution-of-the-tube-house-in-vietnam/amp/

These tall houses are also built in the middle of rural areas.

peanut fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 17, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

It’s a living.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Who among us has never looked at a Dell desktop and thought "it would be fun to live inside that"?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Who among us has never looked at a Dell desktop and thought "it would be fun to live inside that"?

My man, from the entrance up it is literally a Playstation 2

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If I lived in that building I would definitely put a PlayStation logo on it

Jows
May 8, 2002

It's even got the controller ports

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The doorbell is just the startup sound.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cat Hatter posted:

The doorbell is just the startup sound.

I won an xbox from the taco bell sweepstakes and it made the taco bell sound when you started it up

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I won an xbox from the taco bell sweepstakes and it made the taco bell sound when you started it up

I'm so angry at you for this. You can't just walk around dropping a fact that renders everything in my life meaningless by comparison. It's not fair.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

evobatman posted:

My man, from the entrance up it is literally a Playstation 2

Are you trying to suggest that I would live inside a game console???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Building looks cool. Great use of a very narrow lot.