Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I've been a naval officer for 18 years and have never seen or heard that term outside a history book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

One of my professors wrote his own textbooks, but instead of publishing them he just printed them out for us. We only had to pay $20 for the cost of paper and ink. Best professor ever.

Our offered a dollar for every error we found.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

AlternateNu posted:

I've been a naval officer for 18 years and have never seen or heard that term outside a history book.

Shiver me timbers!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Nitrox posted:

Can you even call it a deck, when it's all buried like that?

Unfortunately this deck is a vampire and must be buried in its native soil

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"When I moved in to my GFs house there were two posts in the attic cracked. I fixed them with some clamps and boards but one looked bent and scary and two days later the repair cracked. I read these may be just left over from the attic build and not important to repair. Should I be worried that it cracked again?"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Soon to be ex-girlfriend. Way to go!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If it cracked, it was bearing weight.

hth

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Platystemon posted:

If it cracked, it was bearing weight.

hth

That sounds wrong, maybe it cracked by osmosis?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

AlternateNu posted:

Like puzzle games? If so I can recommend Return of the Obra Dinn

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Phrases you don't want to hear from time travelers

Naw, it's like when they decided to make three Hobbits instead of two. You've got WWI and then WWII 1: Europe and World War II 2: Pacific. That's the current scholarship.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Initial weight test with the grill looking good. How long until the hot tub is installed?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Orvin posted:

Initial weight test with the grill looking good. How long until the hot tub is installed a dozen plus college kids start partying on it?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

I'm the load-bearing ratchet strap.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm the lack of balusters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

If you need balusters to not fall off the balcony then I'm sorry but you are not going to survive living in this house.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Balusters would add too much weight.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Strut your stuff

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Putting the "can't" in cantilever

yes, I know

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have a pile of engineering text books that I'm proud to say I never actually opened and yet managed to pass an entire engineering masters degree, get on my level actual engineers :smuggo:

Zesty posted:

All the big brain science books (completely pristine) for their cool shelf to show how sciencey and cool they are. But oh no, how come this design isn't working? :iiam:

Despite aforementioned lack of knowledge (but high luck roll), those things are going to have zero compressive strength unless the angle joints are braced properly which they are clearly not. A suitable triangular plate to create a web would probably do it.

I think even if you put them flat at the base if you put heavy poo poo on them you'll still get a problem.

e: just noticed that they are "braced" on the right by abutting the vertical so spreading out under compression is not as much of an issue as if they were freestanding.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 22, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Have we considered that this is intended to fold down and stow for winter?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Have we considered that this is intended to fold down and stow for winter?

If someone falls against that railing it will rip out and stow itself any time of the year.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm really curious to see what the ratchet strap is attached to

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A #8 drywall screw, Philips, completely cammed out

But, like, one of the 4” ones, that nobody knows why they exist

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I think the 4" ones are for people who can't be bothered to take the old sheet of drywall down first.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I think the 4" ones are for people who can't be bothered to take the old sheet of drywall down first.

Can't be bothered how many times???

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kid sinister posted:

Can't be bothered how many times???

Just do the math! Aren't you some kind of electronical person or something?

3.5" divided by 1/2" = 7

Thus you slap up the 7th sheet of drywall, 4" screws go 1/2" into stud, boom done easy.

So to answer your question, they couldn't be bothered 6 times.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.theonion.com/650-000-to-live-in-loving-ohio-1851422983

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm guessing it's to take advantage of some weird edge lot, but why woudln't you just build it in a triangle in that case, a la flatiron building?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Maybe they only have short pieces of siding left from multiple projects

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm guessing it's to take advantage of some weird edge lot, but why woudln't you just build it in a triangle in that case, a la flatiron building?

Designed in Minecraft?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Angles are like, hard man.

Just think of all that space that would be wasted when you had rooms with strange corners in them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because hiring an architect puts the tiniest dip in your profit margin.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

A #8 drywall screw, Philips, completely cammed out

But, like, one of the 4” ones, that nobody knows why they exist

To suck door hinges back in so they don’t bind on the latch side

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It reminds me of this small church near my house, that was converted into a private home.

The widest dimension was 12-feet, and the bell tower was the attic. Nice high ceilings, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

PainterofCrap posted:

It reminds me of this small church near my house, that was converted into a private home.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sorry boss, but my subcontractors are so good they don't even know how to cut corners. :smug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I was complaining to a builder today about (usually drywallers) pissing in bathtubs and leaving it as a stinky crust of drywall mud. Especially if it's an upstairs bathroom and they don't want to take the stilts off to go downstairs, and they're too lazy/dumb to use a Gatorade bottle.

Builder told me he encountered a red solo cup covered with a card, and it had a turd inside it. I cannot imagine any circumstances where that would be more convenient than just walking 30 feet to the nearest portable toilet :barf:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
A cardinal rule in building is to never open any mud bucket after the drywallers leave. Good builders screw scrap plywood over any hvac registers on the floor. Sure, it keeps debris out, but the main reason is so the drywallers don't pee in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HycoCam posted:

A cardinal rule in building is to never open any mud bucket after the drywallers leave. Good builders screw scrap plywood over any hvac registers on the floor. Sure, it keeps debris out, but the main reason is so the drywallers don't pee in them.

See this is why I DIY. If someone is gonna fill MY HVAC system with piss it's gonna be ME.