Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

frozenphil posted:

I'm the overspray on the walls.

They are not plastered or painted yet, there is no way or point in doing it before the stairs are in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Loose clingwrap hooks onto your foot, down you go.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That’s a scene from the exploration logs from the IRL version of the endlessly-deep stairwell SCP, which people kept getting eaten by.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh i do not like that one bit

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zesty posted:

Loose clingwrap hooks onto your foot, down you go.

That's why you wear safety slippers so your foot comes off easily and you keep your balance.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I hated this puzzle in whichever video game it came from.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hated this puzzle in whichever video game it came from.

That would be Video Game Auteur Jonathan Blow's game, The Witness. Specifically the interior mountain puzzle area. Yes I'm spoilering that game.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i would simply do an emote while dropping to negate the fall damage

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

moist turtleneck posted:

i would simply do an emote while dropping to negate the fall damage

Just blink right before you hit the ground, it resets your fall speed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

LonsomeSon posted:

That’s a scene from the exploration logs from the IRL version of the endlessly-deep stairwell SCP, which people kept getting eaten by.

I was also going to make the comparison to the SCP about the endless stairwell. poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PainterofCrap posted:

They’re the platforms for much larger treads.

If they are going to be covered why would they need to be protected with plastic wrap?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, this - specifically an inboard engine. Even if you mostly sail, having the option is nice.

Having been out on a relative's sailing boat (the best way to experience one) they're pretty much and probably legally necessary on anything that's too large to row, for a number of reasons but especially just getting in and out of the marina. And we've been out on days where the sea is fuckin glassy flat with no wind.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If they are going to be covered why would they need to be protected with plastic wrap?

Presumably because they're now going to paint everything else in that stairway shaft.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I regret I do not have a photo but my wife just sent me a message on Discord to let me know she was doing some demo as part of our bathroom expansion and has discovered that the 2x4 framing in our bathtub was not attached to anything. It was just floating in the wall attached to the sheetrock and shower. The 2x4 also did not make it all the way to the floor, and she learned this because she tugged on the sheetrock and brained herself with the 2x4 that came flying out at unexpected speed.

Update: I now have a photo

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sometimes cut off pieces of lumber are used to stitch drywall seams together. Maybe that's it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nitrox posted:

Sometimes cut off pieces of lumber are used to stitch drywall seams together. Maybe that's it

Especially if you’re patching. If you xrayed my bathroom walls you’d see an absolute rats nest lattice of end cuts, discarded trim, and other misc scrap wood.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2024

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Nitrox posted:

right but you would hope they would be secured to something besides the drywall and not just floating freely in the wall

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For something that big maybe but for small stuff, really no. You have a 6” hole in the wall, you feed a 12” stick in, screw it to the drywall on each end of the stick, and then fix the patch to the stick.

Your example photo would be a bit excessive, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bad Munki posted:

For something that big maybe but for small stuff, really no. You have a 6” hole in the wall, you feed a 7.5” stick in, screw it to the drywall on each end of the stick, break the drywall on the edge trying to screw it in, get it good enough, hold your breath while fixing the patch to the stick, swear when the stick tears out, fish out a piece of scrap wood that's 9 inches long, do it all again all while wondering if you should just go out and find a piece of wood that's a bit longer but gently caress it that might take ten minutes and you THINK you can get it up right now, successfully tack up your patch, and then hide all your sins with copious amounts of joint compound

ftfy

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

right but you would hope they would be secured to something besides the drywall and not just floating freely in the wall
It exists to hold 2-4 sheets of drywall together, nothing more. Most framing is 16-24" apart and a full sheet is going to fall on existing framing most of the time But on rare occasions it doesn't, and drywallers either have to cut drywall to match the framing, or start from the corner and use scrap lumber to stich ends of the sheathing together. It saves a bit of time and usually strong enough to not matter.

It's the same technique you would use to do a drywall patch on the wall or ceiling. Cut out the opening, add strips of lumber around the perimeter, apply fresh piece of drywall.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Fair enough, I just assumed the worst because of the other things we have found that the old man who owned it before us did when *he* did DIY work on it. Like when he put down vinyl sticker flooring over the original hardwood floors or when he expanded the house but kept the concrete back patio and just built a box around it using 2x4s and luan plywood that collapsed the first time something heavy was put on it.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 30, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/deathofbuckley/status/1785231563166253318

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
It's interesting to have your death foretold visually.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm the lack of handrail.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Even the guy demonstrating for the picture can't use alternating tread stairs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why are architects and interior designers so obsessed with making extremely dangerous stairs?

I saw some documentary on Victorian times, and a leading cause of accidental death was falling down the stairs because the science of how to make stairs safe had not been really landed on, and there were no building codes so you'd get these incredibly steep and sometimes uneven deathtrap stairs that didn't have handrails or guardrails. We figured out how to design stairs so that people didn't routinely trip on them and we mostly put that into building code as a pretty important matter of life and death.

But it never stops brain dead "function? Nah, only form matters!" architects and designers from constantly pumping out insanely stupid and dangerous stair designs. But, instead of the dangerous stairs being in tenements or narrow servant's access and mostly killing the poor, they're now mostly inflicted on the rich. So maybe it's fine?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Baronjutter posted:

Why are architects and interior designers so obsessed with making extremely dangerous stairs?

Don't confuse random AI / student renderings as 'people are actually doing this in places with building codes'

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

Probably because one side is full of crap.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

If you actually follow the building code, you get stairs that look like, well, normal stairs. There's enough rules in place that the form is pretty limited, and we're familiar with all of the conforming variations. Consequently, you can't radically re-imagine the concept of getting from one floor to another without making the stairs dangerous. And "radically re-imagining structures" is how architects go viral.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you actually follow the building code, you get stairs that look like, well, normal stairs. There's enough rules in place that the form is pretty limited, and we're familiar with all of the conforming variations. Consequently, you can't radically re-imagine the concept of getting from one floor to another without making the stairs dangerous. And "radically re-imagining structures" is how architects go viral.

I am reimagining floors. There are no floors, just bare dirt. If you don't understand, you're not "with it".

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sloppy posted:

Don't confuse random AI / student renderings as 'people are actually doing this in places with building codes'

This

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I remember seeing photos online of a wood staircase where the risers all had bookshelves in them (facing you as you climbed). Nothing unsafe but while everyone was gushing about how cute it was, all I could think about was how dirty and dusty the books would get.

Grumio fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 1, 2024

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Quote is not edit :doh:

Grumio fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 1, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Grumio posted:

Grumio posted:

I remember seeing photos online of a wood staircase where the risers all had bookshelves in them (facing you as you climbed). Nothing unsafe but while everyone was gushing about how cute they were, all I could think about was how dirty and dusty the books would get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure even before sitcoms and movies made 'architect' the stock cool job, the field has been dominated with egomaniacal failkids who combine the worst of engineer brain with modern artist and actively loathe the idea of their buildings having people in them for any purpose but to admire them.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Grumio posted:

I remember seeing photos online of a wood staircase where the risers all had bookshelves in them (facing you as you climbed). Nothing unsafe but while everyone was gushing about how cute it was, all I could think about was how dirty and dusty the books would get.

I'd get my foot stuck in a book and die

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

kid sinister posted:

I am reimagining floors. There are no floors, just bare dirt. If you don't understand, you're not "with it".

gestures at a wooded lot and a dump piile of rusty springs and old tires

In this deconstructed vision of a standard american house

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Saraiguma posted:

I'd get my foot stuck in a book and die

My leg passes through a book into a magical fantasy land, breaking cleanly at the knee

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I feel confident I could survive having my foot in a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cat Hatter posted:

We have those style staircases in the warehouse area at work:

And, holy poo poo, do they break people's minds. Anyone who doesn't deal with them daily treats them like some incomprehensible alien device. Some freak out when they approach the stair and you can see them trying to work out which foot to put forward as they get closer, leading to them almost skipping half the time, getting it wrong and then trying to put their foot on the higher stair instead of the first one.

Others refuse to use them outright and go all the way around the warehouse to the office area on the other side, use the regular stairs in there and then go back into the warehouse.

I'm not a fan of them because I have size 15 feet, but I just walk down them backwards.

I can only image how people would deal if we had those mechanical stairs:

https://i.imgur.com/63PsKTy.mp4