Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Baronjutter posted:

Building looks cool. Great use of a very narrow lot.

Could be narrower, then you could fit two buildings in the same space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4oQDnHlrR0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

If I lived in that building I would definitely put a PlayStation logo on it

Window washers turn it ninety degrees as a prank.

Jows posted:

It's even got the controller ports

“Babe, why are the blinds closer?”

“Psycho Mantis.”

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

It's the halfway picture in a DIY procedure online.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm posting homegrown here. It's chaotic and lovely but it works. I needed to exactly control the height of the plywood topper down to the mm while also maintaining cohesive benchwork under it all.

At least the rest of my benchwork is totally fine and not insane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now put aquaria on them all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm posting homegrown here. It's chaotic and lovely but it works. I needed to exactly control the height of the plywood topper down to the mm while also maintaining cohesive benchwork under it all.

At least the rest of my benchwork is totally fine and not insane.

Fish or trains?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Baronjutter posted:

I needed to exactly control the height of the plywood topper down to the mm while also maintaining cohesive benchwork under it all.

why?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fish or trains?

Lmao my mind went to trains too

Jows
May 8, 2002

Can't be fish, those legs are no where near enough for a bunch of water

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

Jows posted:

Can't be fish, those legs are no where near enough for a bunch of water

It's okay, they're very light fish

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trains, although I will have a lot of coastal and river area which may contain fish.

This is what's directly above my absolutely hosed construction. I had to get this height change perfect from where my track will go from having roadbed to being flat on the plywood.

I also built the whole room, which was a series of 45 degree angles snaking through an unfinished basement with a very uneven floor and a lot of other obstructions. I had never done it before in my life but my electrician friend said it was some of the best framing he's seen, so I'm happy to hear that.

I have also never framed or hung a door in my life, and I decided to custom built from scratch a weird 3' x 6' door to fit the unique opening. It worked out pretty good, although the door its self isn't built the best. The interior is very thin door skin, and the framing around it isn't a proper frame, it's a sandwich nailed to both sides because I lacked the tools and skills to do it properly with like a groove for the plywood to sit inside.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sandwich panels are perfectly fine, nice work!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Baronjutter posted:

Building looks cool. Great use of a very narrow lot.

Yeah, not perfect but don't hate it at all. Definitely doesn't belong in this thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I’m sure there is a more wrong way to do this but I can’t think of it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

mds2 posted:

cut them 3" shorter and install them with drywall screws in shear.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That has to be a form of trolling. Whomever had enough skill to install it, has enough to flip it over.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PainterofCrap posted:

That has to be a form of trolling. Whomever had enough skill to install it, has enough to flip it over.

They could have bought a prefab stair and not understand anything.

Evidence: Lookit the lovely paint job. Even if you flip the stair you're stuck with that drippy paint. Unless paint job was part of the troll and you intend to sand and repaint when you install it for real, but that's getting into a lot of effort for a funny picture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

It's the halfway picture in a DIY procedure online.

It does look unfinished, but don't you usually install the sink over the counter surface? I've never done it, but my sink certainly looks like the lip of the sink goes over the edge of the counter top.

The sink looks like it is being used, and if the pipes are all connected removing the sink to install the countertop would be a hassle.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mine's mounted underneath.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It does look unfinished, but don't you usually install the sink over the counter surface? I've never done it, but my sink certainly looks like the lip of the sink goes over the edge of the counter top.

The sink looks like it is being used, and if the pipes are all connected removing the sink to install the countertop would be a hassle.

Undermount sinks are 100% a thing, but it's more time consuming and expensive because you need to glue it from underneath and let it cure. Lets stuff get swept directly from the counter to the sink though.

I'm betting they just glued a sheet of laminate over an old counter that happened to have an undermount sink with the intention of cutting the hole out with a flush cut router bit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I thought so but then I noticed it's mounted so the top stair is flush with the deck surface.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fish or trains?

Indoor cannabis nursery

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

mds2 posted:

Excited to bring this up again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fellers built a couple of houses under the belief that the road was as marked in yellow.

The road is not as marked in yellow.

quote:

I surveyed South guy's property. From what I've seen, these GIS lines are pretty on. He's been there for 32 years and always thought he owned up to the road. Somehow he caught wind that there was a problem with the lines and got East guy to sell him the triangle between his old north line and the actual road.

West guy's house is almost entirely on the wrong lot, and his actual lot is vacant (except for where part of his house and utilities are over the line).

North guy's house is part on his lot, part on East guy's lot, and even encroaching on lot to Northeast. Pretty sure his septic tank is all on Northeast guy's lot.

My client, South guy, is in the clear. Those other guys can call 1-800-SOMEBODY ELSE.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Seems like a pretty simple fix, I'm sure nothing complicated will happen at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The other guys are lawyering up and they are hostile.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Ah, gently caress. Tiny WW1 allegory it is then.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
30 years in almost every state is enough time that you can invoke "You saw me there, and you never bitched, so you must have been cool with it".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nitrox posted:

If I lived in that building I would definitely put a PlayStation logo on it

Needs a Gamecube and Xbox house as neighbours.

Did the PS2 actually come with those blue triangle faux-stands? Fun thing, the logo is built to rotate so it can be the right way up whether horizontal or vertical. I miss that era of practical console design.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Did the PS2 actually come with those blue triangle faux-stands?

I think that it was always an accessory that had to be purchased separately. Maybe limited SKUs did come with them though.

Sony also sold a horizontal “stand”, which served no purpose but to add a blue accent to the front, and to partially block the cooling vents on later revisions of the console.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 18, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

30 years in almost every state is enough time that you can invoke "You saw me there, and you never bitched, so you must have been cool with it".

I believe the solution here would be the relevant office redraws the borders and the guys who loses acreage gets paid a suitable amount, or possibly redraw them in funky ways so everyone's house is on their property and everyone retains the same acreage, albeit in funny shapes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I would say those two guys need to sue whomever they got to survey their land before they built, but I'm sure they didn't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

His Divine Shadow posted:

I believe the solution here would be the relevant office redraws the borders and the guys who loses acreage gets paid a suitable amount, or possibly redraw them in funky ways so everyone's house is on their property and everyone retains the same acreage, albeit in funny shapes.

Märket moment

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Got poo poo for this over several weeks until I found out what was wrong and all hell went loose.

Was correcting the heights for the floor drains in a giant bathhouse( had a tolerance of 5 to 15mm🤯 depending on which floor drain), which was being placed over a period of a couple of weeks. To make it faster, we told the workers to use the previous set drains to ruffly place them on the correct height with a laser, as we couldn't be there all the time( more than 140 floor drains)

But every other day I would notice that the height were off by a cm or so and had to tell them to change them again and again.

I tried failsearching what could have gone wrong, from prismconstants, to recalibration of the robot and even got my seniorcoworker to check my work, which again had moved.

We went through all the floor drains with both our robots over 2 days and some were several cm off, although the same height between the robots.

When we were done and he went inside to discuss with the management, I stood there heart-broken staring out over it all.

It was then I noticed that the bed of foam concrete(insulation concrete),that the floor drains and rhubarbmats were on had a slite curv to it. I went over the bed and took the data in for a controll , against my previous extra measurements from when i was in the area at the start( which my colleague thought was foolish, as that wasn't part of our workasignmemt) and found that the ground* had given way with almost 9cm on the worst parts. *(the building is build on clay, with concrete pillars for support, but the clay was moving faster than anticipated. that togther with the concrete team waiting to pour, as they wanted a greater area at the same time put extra strain on the clay)

The panic that followed was nothing to laugh about and it had a lot of follow up effects, like cracks and wrong flow directions in the pipes, but atleast we found the "error".

Several of those who had looked cold at me before, came and congratulated me for finding out the problem, but it still hurts to think about.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

His Divine Shadow posted:

The term apparently is 'Adverse Possession' and if its been like that for 10 years, it's kinda a 'tough poo poo' moment for the guy whose dirt they stole. The nice way would be to go through the redrawing process and come up with some number that makes everyone equally unhappy, but if they wanna make a fight of it, the law in most states says they get to stay and the land they used is now theirs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the way it was stated, though, was that the only person who was noted as having been there 30 years was the one whose house was on his own lot anyhow. He thought he owned a little more than he actually does, but that’s just driveway.

I don’t think we know how long the other two houses have been there.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mds2 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic