Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm guessing it's to take advantage of some weird edge lot, but why woudln't you just build it in a triangle in that case, a la flatiron building?

Obviously it's built on a mining tenement which can only have gridline boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HycoCam posted:

A cardinal rule in building is to never open any mud bucket after the drywallers leave. Good builders screw scrap plywood over any hvac registers on the floor. Sure, it keeps debris out, but the main reason is so the drywallers don't pee in them.

But I thought piss was stored in the walls? :confused:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's stored anywhere you put it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not crappy construction, but holy poo poo I have so much respect for tree trimmers. Two big bushy rear end trees in my yard that I've put off forever getting trimmed, so fence is always moldy and the amount of leaves that fall is an hoa fight every year, plus anxiety during every storm.

$700 and done in 3.5hrs, I'm just in awe. One dude and his helper. Now I can hopefully have a non moldy fence and get something other than dirt to grow in my yard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hope they were an ISA certified arborist.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How could that even have worked? Wouldn't construction workers keep accidentally digging up bodies while digging the basement and swimming pool?

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Facebook Aunt posted:

How could that even have worked? Wouldn't construction workers keep accidentally digging up bodies while digging the basement and swimming pool?

they're kept aside as the Tradesman's Snack

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

A neighbour across the road is a tree surgeon it is extremely useful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh I have something to add here. For context: My boyfriend's dad died a few months ago. They've had nearly no contact for over a decade, so not a hugely dramatic ordeal for either of us.

The old man was apparently quite handy and ok-ish at many things for most of his life, but in his last years some combination of dementia and cancer treatments left him less able to follow through than he used to be. It apparently also lower his threshold for starting new projects. I'm not here to talk about the two shipping containers full of random junk (dead concrete mixers, a sailboat engine, buckets full of hand tools), the many freezers and fridges, or the many walls he moved, or the bathroom with no floor. However, the one thing I did take pictures of was whatever he thought he was doing to the roof beam between the living room and entrance.

From the living room:

From the floor above:

We're planning to have an engineer look at it and then have someone competent sell the house for us. Worst case, it's a nice big lot with a view of the lake, and I'm sure someone would like to build a new house or two on it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The engineer is going to scream and pass out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Computer viking posted:

a sailboat engine,

???

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sailboats typically have small auxiliary engines that may be built in, or small outboards.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wesleywillis posted:

Sailboats typically have small auxiliary engines that may be built in, or small outboards.

Yeah, this - specifically an inboard engine. Even if you mostly sail, having the option is nice.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I love 80s movies. They have a stupid reference for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyhOh7geDn8

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Would have saved the judges boat in caddyshack

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, this - specifically an inboard engine. Even if you mostly sail, having the option is nice.

Good point. The ones (outboards) that I've seen are probably back up back ups.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ok I’m just here to observe, I don’t really do load bearing or structural poo poo. Anyone more familiar care to guess what the goal was with the dementia roof beam?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

Oh I have something to add here. For context: My boyfriend's dad died a few months ago. They've had nearly no contact for over a decade, so not a hugely dramatic ordeal for either of us.

The old man was apparently quite handy and ok-ish at many things for most of his life, but in his last years some combination of dementia and cancer treatments left him less able to follow through than he used to be. It apparently also lower his threshold for starting new projects. I'm not here to talk about the two shipping containers full of random junk (dead concrete mixers, a sailboat engine, buckets full of hand tools), the many freezers and fridges, or the many walls he moved, or the bathroom with no floor. However, the one thing I did take pictures of was whatever he thought he was doing to the roof beam between the living room and entrance.

From the living room:

From the floor above:

We're planning to have an engineer look at it and then have someone competent sell the house for us. Worst case, it's a nice big lot with a view of the lake, and I'm sure someone would like to build a new house or two on it.

I like that there's both temporary bracing holding the steel beam up and a comealong from said beam. It's Schroedinger's Beam.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonsomeSon posted:

Ok I’m just here to observe, I don’t really do load bearing or structural poo poo. Anyone more familiar care to guess what the goal was with the dementia roof beam?

A load-bearing wall was in the way of his vision for the place.

He correctly identified that the load would have to be supported in some other way but halfassed the implementation.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I'm the little aluminum strap on the right doing my best

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ddiddles posted:

I'm the little aluminum strap on the right doing my best

I'm the 6th wheel jack sneaking in at the back.

e: on second thoughts I'm the small chair placed to sit and admire the whole setup as one would a piece of art or a torture scene

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 24, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm the HDMI(?) cable tied around the load bearing beam that's cracking lengthwise.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’m the two c clamps providing an anchoring point for a ratchet strap under a steel I beam

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i guess it's deck season or something

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

i guess it's deck season or something

wabbit season

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

kid sinister posted:

rabbet season

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Wait...some of that is box and not I-beam and there's a stack of box section. And the actual I beam isn't sitting on the wall at all anyway, was that even there before? Did he just straight up take out two structural walls to replace with steel beams so that the rooms would be knocked though and then just not build the actual supports?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Wait...some of that is box and not I-beam and there's a stack of box section. And the actual I beam isn't sitting on the wall at all anyway, was that even there before? Did he just straight up take out two structural walls to replace with steel beams so that the rooms would be knocked though and then just not build the actual supports?

I'd ask, but, you know, :pressf:

I also wish I had taken more pictures, because I'll probably never set foot in that house again. If they decide to sell it as is, I'll make sure I get a copy of the inspection report so I can translate the interesting parts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Houses in this kind of condition go for pennies on the dollar. It's much cheaper to rebuild this and make it livable, if you can afford it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

OP sets out to build a deck, actually constructs the most overbuilt square foot garden boxes in human history.

There's easier ways to conceal future bunker construction.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

There's easier ways to conceal future bunker construction.

"more dirt than you'll know what to do with"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OP of the bunker‐concealing deck posted an update.

quote:

Out here grinding. 12/98 planters dug out

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like those window bars up top.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ajkalan posted:

I like those window bars up top.

Gotta keep out the spider mans.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

City 17

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nitrox posted:

Houses in this kind of condition go for pennies on the dollar. It's much cheaper to rebuild this and make it livable, if you can afford it

Selling it as "a nice big lot with a view [buyer must remove old house]" is one of the more likely alternatives. It's not like any of us really need a house in Lillehammer, so we're just trying to find the most efficient way to get some value out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azerbaijan

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You're unsafe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
One of the advantages of central/northern European construction is that a lot of the materials of the old build can be salvaged and reused. Things like bricks and roof tiles.