Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm not sure this was a permitted build. Brooklyn, NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm not sure this was a permitted build. Brooklyn, NY.

If I saw that (and, well, I am seeing that) I'd assume it used to connect two buildings and wasn't torn down along with the other building because ???.

I mean I'm willing to accept that this isn't true, but I'd still assume it until proven otherwise.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I saw that (and, well, I am seeing that) I'd assume it used to connect two buildings and wasn't torn down along with the other building because ???.

I mean I'm willing to accept that this isn't true, but I'd still assume it until proven otherwise.

Nope, before it was a park the property was a lumber yard where they built coffins. There's never been any residential build on there lot it would have connected to.

Oh, and that wire I'm holding up? Some kind of connection running down the fence line unsecured to it in most locations. I forget if it's the Internet connect or what, but it definitely has the same DIY feel as the balcony.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Nope, before it was a park the property was a lumber yard where they built coffins. There's never been any residential build on there lot it would have connected to.

Oh, and that wire I'm holding up? Some kind of connection running down the fence line unsecured to it in most locations. I forget if it's the Internet connect or what, but it definitely has the same DIY feel as the balcony.

The park had lovely drainage and flooded regularly, so one of the neighbors poured a lovely concrete fence to dam the water out of their property.

What they didn't realize is that their back patio drained into the park. They effectively built a bathtub and had to come back and drill out the drainage hole you see.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

That wire looks like it could be phone company wire. Never underestimate the time crunch (and ability to not give a poo poo) those guys are under. So if just stringing it along the fence gets the job done, that is what will happen. And it could be for phones or data. It’s likely just twisted copper pairs and some reinforcement inside that rubber sheath.

At least in the Midwest. I have to assume it’s pretty much the same everywhere.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Orvin posted:

That wire looks like it could be phone company wire. Never underestimate the time crunch (and ability to not give a poo poo) those guys are under. So if just stringing it along the fence gets the job done, that is what will happen. And it could be for phones or data. It’s likely just twisted copper pairs and some reinforcement inside that rubber sheath.

At least in the Midwest. I have to assume it’s pretty much the same everywhere.

Normally when I have a contractor or utility person doing work I will make sure that they know what I want and have everything they need, then just let them work with a very occasional check in.

Telecom I watch like a goddamn hawk because they will pull the shadiest poo poo imaginable to save 20 seconds. I understand that the actual technician on site is not the one setting the unreasonable time expectations, but the technician is also not the one that has to live with the cable routing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

idk this one definitely isn't a phone wire and we've got these running everywhere

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CATV with built-in strain cable.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

For my short time as manual labor at a telco 20 years ago:

If the wire cable was *perfectly* rectangular, it was 2 copper pairs in the middle, self supporting with some sort of nylon type of fiber running on both sides of the rubber jacket. That could be used for short overhead runs between poles and to the house. But techs would temp lay it on the ground all the time, as it was weatherproof.

The really good poo poo that I used to bury had a rubber outer shell, a solid copper sheet inner shell, and 6 pairs of copper wires that were in a water resistant gel. I used to cut the poo poo out of my hands on that copper inner shell.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Comm does whatever the hell they want. Full tension overhead with no guying backing it up, they don't give a poo poo. If someone did a calc it's to a safety factor of "lol".

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Such little current so they get away with a lot

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

idk this one definitely isn't a phone wire and we've got these running everywhere

Internet maple sizzurp.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/dA36JED.mp4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gonna be fun to remove all that seran wrap.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luckily the person is wearing their safety sandals.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHAHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That’s fake right, right?

no no No No NO NO NONONONO

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GreenNight posted:

Luckily the person is wearing their safety sandals.

Tbf the grippiest pair of shoes I own are some flip flops.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s no slip hazard, that’s why the cling wrap is there. Basically impossible to slip at this point.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Just equip the artorias ring and jump down

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ajkalan posted:

I like those window bars up top.

The sun bars were really common in Soviet Union, you see them everywhere across the worker's paradise (makes you wonder what is so valuable inside the fifth floor death deck, but then I remembered that everyone in ex-USSR is a ninja parkour champion)

There was also a design for the 1980 Moscow olympic games

i'm whoever laid those bricks

(it's the 1980 games logo)

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 25, 2024

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That's where you take Grandma when you want the insurance money.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/AnAngryOpossum/status/1783294774620930156

I don't even know what to say. What the gently caress?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I love it. It reminds me of playgrounds when I was a kid. Needs a rope bridge.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Guessing they renovated a single-family home into multiple apartments (on each floor and over the garage), and code requires each one to have a separate entrance. Plus a contractor who built a deck once but don't worry, he's got this.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

GreenNight posted:

I love it. It reminds me of playgrounds when I was a kid. Needs a rope bridge zipline.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GreenNight posted:

I love it. It reminds me of playgrounds when I was a kid. Needs a rope bridge.

I'll post it when I get to my laptop, but the shore house my sister's in-laws had in Beach Haven, NJ had an Escher staircase set like this.
Connected the 3rd floor back door to 2- bedrooms there, the 2nd floor apartment entry, and over to the apartment over the boathouse.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I think I saw this place in a Lord of the Rings movie, or maybe it was the Hobbit? Guess this is what it looked like when it was new?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wheatpuppy posted:

. Plus a contractor who built a deck once but don't worry, he's got this.
Are you seeing some kind of violations?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Nitrox posted:

I've never built a deck so I have no clue about violations, but there are definitely a lot of weird design choices.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i"m the cthonic gollumesque creature that hangs out on that subdeck. setting up a porch garden for all my dead houseplants this year it's coming along nicely :)

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 25, 2024

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

I'm the overspray on the walls.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I usually roll my eyes at a lot of the death stairs itt but this one is terrifying

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I need to know more about the green deathsteps. Are they temporary for construction or is someone going to live (and die) with this stairwell

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They’re the platforms for much larger treads.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

peanut posted:

I need to know more about the green deathsteps. Are they temporary for construction or is someone going to live (and die) with this stairwell

It looks like a remodeling project. The steps have been painted and are covered in plastic film while they build the rest of the stuff around them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Nitrox posted:

Definitely some clear width and landing size violations, probably some more like rise/run and guards that would need to a tape measure check. I bet the most egregious are structural problems we can't see though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

In sandals on loose plastic and with their phone out. Gotta get those internet likes by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If I'm gonna die today, I'm gonna die postin