Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I haven't been in the fire alarm trade (or any trade) very long, but I've seen some pretty shoddy stuff already. Like today. It was a routine inspection at a rooming house. We pull up, and my buddy (who's been in the trade for years) drops his usual comment "this place is a shithole. This guy sucks." Whatever, I shrug it off. We get inside and the panel is in trouble. It's a one-zone, so he disconnects the detection side and...the panel clears for a split second.

Okay, no big. These things fail, we figure it's the panel. We start the inspection and the smoke detector at the top of the staircase gets stuck in alarm. The fucker just didn't want to un-latch. So I go to take it down ...and find the cause of most (if not all) of the problems.

First off the junction box was absent (no surprise)...but instead of mounting the baseplate to the drop ceiling like any reasonable man would have done the electrician did something special. Baseplate? gently caress that poo poo. Sheet metal screws through the detector and into the metal 'joints' of the ceiling. Every time we bent the detector out about 45 degrees it would fix the trouble. Go figure.

tl;dr: genius mounts smoke detector to ceiling by running sheet metal screws through it.

autism ZX spectrum fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
LOL there's no way that removal company is doing proper abatement

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Let's replace all the yards with driveway instead!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of my coworkers is a little concerned about the state of their foundation. They went into their crawlspace and found this:

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use cinderblocks in that orientation. Let alone that rando chunk of concrete in the first photo. :stonklol:

This is all 100% fine if you intend to sell it in 6 months or less

there wolf posted:

There's a lot of other weird touches in this house.

Did I build this?

vanity lights for no reason, toilet paper roll too high, interior stucco, mismatched everything

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine had a deck kind of like that one from reddit. The builder decided to nail every board to its neighbour to prevent them from heaving because that's typically what happens if you don't leave any gaps. Apparently it was tons of fun to take down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up, asked to borrow your tools and then did a good job anyway.