Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Blistex posted:

How do they afford a house like that? Did the kids start a lemonade stand franchise and corner the market in their town? Also that place is hideous! That steel roof belongs on a barn or someone's garage.

I have some sort of sick addiction to their drat show, and they claim that all their money comes from rental properties they own. But, they talk about how "our friends at (insert business name here) donated this (item) to us!". Their commercial quality kitchen was all donated, huge rear end pantry all donated, they buy most/all of the kids clothes at secondhand stores because all the kids are homeschooled, none of the kids has gone to college (so no paying for that), and they've done multiple specials and now more than a couple of seasons of a reality show on Discovery Channel. They also have a couple of books out on how they keep loving and having kids that they sell through their website. For as big as a house as that is, there are only two kids bedrooms: one for the boys and one for the girls.

They also say they built most of the house on their own, but the dad is one of those types that will convince you to help out because it's the "christian thing to do", so they had a 'family friend' who is a contractor telling them how to do everything, probably not being paid for any of his time.

GD_American posted:

\
There's no way a normal person could feed 19 kids on anything but a millionaire's bank account, much less build a white trash pleasure palace.
I've seen an episode where they take a box truck to the store. Most of the crap they eat is terrible 60's style cassaroles and stuff. I've never seen them talk about the importance of a healthy diet at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The part that keeps coming up when I google search is how he claims that it's "illegal" to secure non load bearing walls to the floor or ceiling with anything more than a slipjoint because then it can inadvertently carry some of the weight of the house and "become load bearing".

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

it's a townhouse in a planned neighborhood - so we didn't get to pick the builder... So no, we didn't get any real conversation with the builders themselves between picking out the floor plan and "house is finished". We also found out too late that they didn't even use the floor plan we picked out....we picked out a floor plan for a house that was being built come hell or high water.

Do you mean like an option version of a specific floor plan, like instead of a master bedroom with a sitting area it has french doors into a den? Or a fully different floor plan that might have the kitchen on the OTHER side of the dining room and more bedrooms or an office down by the garage? If you mean the full floor plan, that was planned out before grading even began in the community. The civil engineers lay out the streets, drainage, electrical utilities, the way the yards are shaped, everything based on the footprint of the home plans. They built whatever was on the list and if it wasn't the one you guys wanted, you ended up buying the wrong site, not the builders built the wrong house.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

I have my own crappy construction tale from the weekend.

At least the expanding foam didn't wedge your window closed or just flat out crack the glass!

EDIT: Are you using full silicon caulk or just "silicon added" latex caulking? I'm not sure what the general consensus is in here, but for outdoor/high water applications I've always been taught to use full silicon caulking because it won't wear out/leak/mildew as fast.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Hypothetically, if someone had done this and caused the paint to be permanently softened, is there any way to re-cure it or would it be best to strip it completely and repaint from scratch?

Simple Green EATS the stuff that makes the paint hard. The paint is effectively ruined, there's no way to 'fix' it. I'd strip/scrape the area down and sand over the existing paint edge and repaint. You don't have to strip the entire thing, unless you really want to.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Were the incendiary grenades there for any reason in particular or just for shits and giggles?

If you don't want anyone to get a hold of something, the best way to do that is to destroy it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

DNova posted:

It's not in a wet area.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Wife and I are looking at houses right now. We live in the neighborhood we plan on buying in, and the houses are overall really good quality, just a little older, mostly built in the 1950s. Anyway we saw a nice one today, but in the kitchen near the sink I saw this interesting device:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Holms on Homes is the best construction based "reality" show. He goes in a fixes lovely renos and sometimes sort of goes after the people who did it. But the main thing is fixing the bad stuff not sensationalism or drama.

I've seen on most of the episodes where he specifically has a woman student working/interning on stuff. He'll talk to her for a minute about what program she's with (often they're with programs to get more women into skilled trades), and then just leaves her alone to do WORK. They don't have a pink hard hat and a tank top with a hammer on it, or any stupid crap showing her using a saw or a hammer with two hands, and I really appreciate that.

There was one I saw where he built backyard fences for a neighborhood where all the houses were built on either side of a large common yard. The owners had all paid a contractor, but he dug 45 holes in a not straight line and left with their money. They were currently seeking a class action lawsuit against the company and winning. Holmes was building the fence and they show a homeowner with a pixelated face come and talk to him. They didn't air the conversation, but showed Holmes audibly bitching about "you all join together to bust this guy who takes your money, and now you want me to build your fence HIGHER so your neighbor can't see in? WHAT?"

I like him.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I still kinda want to build a geodesic dome house. Part of it's gotta be that URL. Domehome! It rhymes! :3: I know they're not as practical as they look because circular rooms are a pain in the rear end to fit furniture into, but I still like the concept and the aesthetic, and the kits seem like a plausible way to be able to build a house largely on your own, since the exterior walls are self-supporting as they go up. One of these days I want to just take a leave of absence from work, buy a plot of land out on the edge of civilization, and build my own house from the ground up.

I've heard some pretty horrible stories about getting drywall and windows to fit in those houses. (Doesn't make me not want a big round house, but enough to make me think really hard about it)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I've seen things like that on pinterest, but those are some STEEP steps. That looks terrifying to climb down in the morning before coffee.

(And that setup adds less storage that a set of dedicated shelves/cabinets under a proper staircase would add)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Is there a specific reason why you are avoiding drywall?

The easiest thing might be to just use drywall. You'd only need to tape it, not float it out and texture it. (So it'd look like a garage) That isn't too difficult to do. Hardie board and such go up just like drywall and have to be taped just like drywall, but hardie board is heavier and harder to cut, and you use fiberglass tape and thinset to do the taping.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

and also mean I don't have to dick around with a studfinder every time I want to put up some shelves or something.

Second reason is that I'd like to have the ceiling be as open as possible. This is partly just because I'm a tall guy and thus like tall ceilings (and I have precisely zero tall ceilings in my house :argh:), but more importantly, I have a couple of skylights planned that wouldn't be much good if they're covered over by a "proper" ceiling. Yeah, I know you can set up light tunnels and stuff like that, but those would interfere with using the ceiling joists to support storage areas.

So basically I'd prefer if the fire rated stuff was on the outside of the building rather than the inside, so long as I can achieve the necessary fire rating.

Supporting the weight during installation is a potential issue, though it might be doable with strategic use of temporary shelf supports clamped to the studs or something. I guess that depends on if you can install top-to-bottom or if you have to do bottom-to-top

A few extra points to make about drywall...

1. If you don't finish or paint the drywall, you'll have all your screws visible but covered with a line of drywall mud. This makes it super easy to locate your studs when you want to hang poo poo. You really don't need much ability to do the first pass on taping if you're not going to texture or paint it. If you can put peanut butter on your own sandwich you can figure out taping. You'll be doing something like this:

2. You could try to drywall above the rafters so you have a 'cathedral ceiling', and then you get your storage space and easy skylight instillation.

3. You can install bottom to top, then you just sit the next sheet on top of the sheet underneath. A drywall lift would make things much easier for you and aren't that expensive to rent.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 21, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

From the funny pictures thread:

The do this a lot of times in labs where they do blood and urine drug tests. Usually the switch is far enough from the sink that you can't switch it and use the sink at the same time, and the 'monitor' has to throw the switch for you. This way you can't use the sink to dilute your pee sample to get more time or rehydrate the dehydrated pee you bought off the internet.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

my old man was complaining about getting zapped when he was working on his old radios.

Is it possible that the house wiring is fine, but he's getting nuked by the capacitors because he's not discharging them before working on the radios? You mention later that maybe he might be forgetting/have only 'limited' knowledge of what he's actually doing.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

kastein posted:

Capacitors store DC, so he should be able to tell very easily which one he's getting zapped by. They have very distinct sensations.

Yeah, I've been zapped by different stuff, but I don't tell people that "I was zapped by A/C power working on that radio", I just tell them I got zapped. It was just another idea, I've seen seasoned techs forget to discharge stuff before working on it and it's a common enough mistake.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
When I was installing interior shutters, (sometimes called plantation shutters), we were doing a whole house. A couple walked up, and without identifying themselves in any manner, asked us what the color of paint was called that the shutters were. "Off-white" we told them. This is a nice, soft white that closely matches the "Swiss Coffee" paint that a lot of people use for trim. We began bringing everything into the house, and suddenly 5 or 6 HOA folks (including the couple) swarm up and tell us to stop installing. We basically told them that they weren't the ones paying us, so they ran inside to bitch at the homeowner. Apparently, the HOA rules were that the "outside facing surface of all window coverings must be WHITE" and because our paint was called 'off-white', it wasn't allowed.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
You don't actually NEED a back splash in a kitchen. It's really just for looks, right? (We haven't had one in nearly a year now)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Rurutia posted:

If you do any serious cooking, it's really kind of necessary to keep your walls from getting stained from food/grease/etc. Unless you want to go immigrant asian and put up aluminum foil.

*I'm defining serious cooking here as any sort of high heat/frying activities. You can probably get away with it if you only boil? Or braise? I don't know, accidents probably still happen. I've flung sauce across the room once or twice by accident.

Oh I know, but the wall behind the stove right now is at least painted, and I am going to clean it well and prime it before putting up the tile. We started this renovation last summer, have been doing bits and pieces when we can, and now I'm 37 weeks pregnant so I can't even reach/lean over the counters to do the tile right now. :saddowns: So that will have to wait

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
We have concrete counter tops. We got them at a lower cost because I've known the contractor for 20 years now and used to baby sit his daughter. The concrete is a very low moisture mix, the pigments are expensive, and the forms have to be built custom for each job. But, you can get any color or shape you can imagine, edge shapes can be built in, and they are pretty much indestructible. The sealer he used is somewhat susceptible to acid and water, but we regularly wax the counters with beeswax and they're developing a pretty nifty patina. If they got badly 'stained', we could sand them down and repolish and they'd be good as new. They're not maintenance free, it takes effort to keep them looking 'perfect', but we like the look and we got an excellent price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Javid posted:

For this thread, this isn't that impressive, but it fits:

This is the shiny new "wood shed" of an acquaintance.

Assembled from the finest of the scrap wood lying in the pile it now covers, the labor was performed by a gentleman with neck tattoos who was paid for his time with a negotiated quantity of marijuana. I know this because he was rather friendly and explained the workings of the deal while smashing apart a pallet to use in the roof portion.

I mean, it will functionally hold up a tarp or at worst not fall on anything important when it collapses. But still.

I like how the right front leg is washed out in the photograph, making it appear as though it was simply forgotten.