Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The upstairs hall in my last place had a terribly creaky wonky uneven floor. When I pulled the carpet I found every single floor board was damaged in some way, my favourite being a board that has been cut away between the joists, put back in with only long bent nails holding it, cut again a couple of inches further in and finally fixed again with half an inch of laminated craft glue and newspaper. It took less than an hour and £20 to make it solid and new again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

The first couple of them were awesome, but then they just got lame.

"Drank a beer while my wife was out of town... WOOOOOOO!"
Arguing about "right" kinds of man-food, while not a single person was making GBS threads in a bucket or anything.

Be the change you want to see.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe they were massive?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's the sugar for?

And would you say there's about 400lbs there, or more?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have a 13A dryer plugged into the mains right here.

E: oh right, gotcha.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zhentar posted:

From the look of the plugs & outlets, you'd think so, but they only allow individual devices up to 13 amps. That's why they stopped at 3kW tea kettles, instead of 4.5kW or 7kW.

God drat, 7kw kettle. My teapot quivers at the thought.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:stare: I could make tea so loving fast

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

xwing posted:

For a serious answer... are you near a concrete/block wall or something equally unmovable? It might be more secure to wall-mount a spot to chain to. A block and chain isn't great if someone could get some huge bolt cutters and use their body weight and the ground to snap them.

Now that I'm thinking about it... Get as big of a steel fence post as you can get and cast that into the ground with some concrete. Not a surface pour either, like you normally would put like two 80# bags 2 feet down or more. The weight of the earth will do the rest. Then get someone to weld on your locking point up off the ground on the post. That should be enough of a pain to move and get bolt cutters or a grinder to that most won't bother. Bonus points if you can get the post close to a structure so that getting to there isn't more room than to lock/unlock.

If I wasn't renting right now I'd have a field day do this goofy stuff for my motorcycle. Right now it's only the neighbors that know my bike is out back so I'll just get all :ese: if it goes missing.

If you're not serious... I still like daydreaming overkill scenarios.

Cordless cutter or grinder will still take your locking point out in seconds, or if the lock is against something solid (like say a steel post or concrete block) it'll get smashed with a sledge in moments.

Keep going.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zhentar posted:

If you want to DIY a ductless mini split install, there are some models with quick connects, like the Friedrich Breeze, that don't need any special HVAC equipment to install. Unless you live somewhere very cold, it can efficiently cover both your cooling and heating requirements for a tiny house.

Someone I know who rents out a handful of flats replaces the (typically old inefficient and lovely) gas boilers with mini air con units because they're cheaper to service and run (and he doesn't need to get them checked like boilers). I think he puts in electric water heaters too?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

morethanjake32 posted:

Why didn't they just put in the lug clamp? I think that the icing on the cake is the copper peeking out of the wirenut waiting to give you a wakeup!

Not the live screwhead?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looks like someone installed 2" of internal accelerant insulation but didn't want to do a proper job of the sockets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to guess they have a hexagon-pattern stamp and whoever used it didn't know to line up the second impression with the edges of the first.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A quick Google turns up hundreds of products or setups and designs for exactly this, what is troubling you in particular?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, you see, the solar pannels are on clearance at campers world, but it's not a kit. They're meant for an RV battery. Now, I might just buy the RV battery anyway, similar cost to the two golf cart batteries I need. If you can link me to any of those helpful links, I'd appreciate it! Everything I'm turning up is for systems that are using way more battery then I'll ever need, or trickle chargers that I dont think will provide enough. Or they could, and I'm wrong! I'm clueless, really.

Jokes aside, I do appreciate any insight. I'll probably start a project thread soon.

Okay well we need more details as the previous poster said. Voltage of the panels and possibly a product link. It might be as simple as panel, diode, battery, throw a couple of switches and a fuse block in there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Also that the right sink would be in the way of the dishwasher, so the faucet just rotates over a flat surface (or really shallow sink).

It'll be a drainer, so yes, really shallow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have friends that live in a weird house, it's part of a square of 8 pairs of semi-detached houses with gardens in the middle, they all have few and small windows on the outside of the square, many and large on the inside. Turns out they're old RAF staff houses and partly designed to be easily defended in the event of a ground invasion.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Discretely though. You can drill through drywall with a spoon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

What’s deadlier, night air or air that has passed through a fan?

Holy poo poo someone tell the Koreans about WHFs please, I want to know their reaction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You can do spray foam yourself a lot cheaper. Potentially hilariously disastrous as well. I've seen it recommended for "fixing" unstable slate tiled roofs from the inside :shepface:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Brick is very rarely used as a structural element these days, due to high material and labor costs and long construction timelines. When you see brick in modern construction, it's usually a veneer.

This varies by location. It's very rare to see a house in the UK that isn't brick/cavity/breezeblock construction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

As I understand it yes, this is correct - the load bearing element is concrete blockwork in most cases, the brick is a skin for appearance and to contain the cavity wall for insulation purposes.

Okay, I mistakenly thought as the two were tied together the brick added to the structural element. Thanks for the correction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Ho storage takes up a lot of space.

Bunkbeds man, come on!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Pretty solid post/avatar/username combo, well done :golfclap:

For content: I work at a machine shop, and we were just told by our department lead that "the power company said the grid linkup is on its last jerry-rig fix before we have to get everything replaced," which honestly floored me considering that literally the entire business is devoted to the task of turning raw materials and electricity into fairly precise parts. Why would you run your multi-million dollar buisness on a jerry-rigged power box?!

In my experience, because it started as a quick fix, then more machines were added and "fixed" and it snowballed and suddenly you realise one day there are coat hangers and bits of 2x4 keeping millions of dollars of machines running.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The trap under my kitchen sink in my sub-1-year old house was leaking so I pulled it apart to find out why. The connection to the bottom of the sink was bent slightly and broke the seal because the whole trap was torqued by the exit pipe being about 1/2" too high and being at a funny angle. The funny angle was about 5-10° upwards.

I contained it for £5 of parts but I'll have a word with the builder when I see him next, the hole needs re-drilling at the right angle.

E: guess what some twerp said last February:

Cakefool posted:

Okay, there were three houses, we were only interested in 2 due to the positions on-site. Neither had 2nd fix yet but what we could see of the exposed wiring and plumbing was actually reassuring, not messy or tight(tails not too short etc)Appliances & bathroom furniture & cabinetry going in was good stuff. Insulation being installed was good (& deep in the attic). Exposed roof structure in the garage was very good, about the best I've seen in terms of decent timber, neat angles, general fit & finish. Paint on the walls was decent but matt, we have sticky children so I can see some silk going on later.

Walls were straight, right angles everywhere, plumbing looked like someone cared. I'm impressed, we're going to go for it. I'll be more invasive when we go back & 2nd fix is done.

I'm amazed basically.

:lol:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 9, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well I didn't get a level on the pipe when I saw the house initially and it's virtually impossible to see without crawling under the sink after the kitchen was finished, chalk it up to something I didn't expect to have to measure? Is it too much to expect a plumber to know water drains better down than uphill?

My task for the next couple of weeks is a detailed inspection on anything I can get to without demo. I'll also borrow the boroscope from work for harder to get to stuff. I may have hilarious photos for the thread later.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Considering it has a trap, does it really matter that much? Unless the English enjoy the smell of sewer gas, all water going down your drain should have to flow up till straight up after going through the trap. Sorry if I sound calous, I mean I would also prefer to have downhill instead of uphill pipes, but I am curious to know if it actually is a big deal, considering its (hopefully) only uphill for a foot between the sink drain and the wall.

Sorry, to clarify this is the trap:

It goes here

The hole in the wall is too high and goes up. There's about a metre of pipe that sits full of manky sink water as well as the trap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blindeye posted:

See the thing I hate about open floor plans for kitchen/dining room/living room is the fact that I cook a lot and few apartments have high cfm exhaust fans in the kitchen so if I say...cook a proper steak on a cast iron pan, smoke gets everywhere and leaves a film of grease as far away as my desk (over time if I am not OCD cleaning after every cooked meal.

My open plan house has a similar issue, when I realised the kitchen extractor was doing nothing I found it was rated for about 190m/hr, the replacement I'll fit later this year with be 600+m/hr.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The bits have a collar that bottoms out on the drywall, the screw won't go any further in when the bit isn't touching it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

oh. All the bits I've gotten in boxes of drywall screws were just standard bits then.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Combine spaces, kitchen and camping/bugout trailer are now the same thing, voilá!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A friend of mine stayed at a hotel that had Juliet balconies and doors that only opened outwards... 4 inches until they hit the balcony.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Juliet balcony should have no depth and doors that opened inwards.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Fire code says all doors open outwards, brah

Obviously the ones my friend stayed at were up to code then.

(Does it count as a door when it's 2nd+ story with no fire escape?)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

flosofl posted:

Like what?

Once he puts in the guide rails, it should be just as safe as any spiral staircase. Looks pretty solid to me and plywood is ridiculously strong for that kind of loading.

I agree it looks solid as gently caress, but I'd love to know how many sheets of plywood and router bits and glue it takes to make. I bet its thousands of dollars.

Also you know it's finished, they'll be no handrails fitted and you know it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sorry I watched it on mute, I like the look I will admit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

What the UK is hosed about is their taps. Their wiring is also pretty unique garbage too.

Ring mains are dumb, agreed. What's wrong with our taps though?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

NancyPants posted:

It could only be better by being actual reclaimed pallet wood.

If he'd just stacked up some lovely pallets Pinterest would have pissed itself in jealousy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I lived in a house that was built in the 50s. No wait, it was poured in the fifties. A pair of semi-detached 2 bed houses poured out of crappy concrete in a single piece. They'll still be standing in a hundred years for all the wrong reasons and I pity the post-apocalyptic caveman who has to heat it and hang anything on the walls.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

That sounds bad rear end. Pix?

Search for no-fines wimpey houses, they were horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is your power usage unexpectedly high at any point?